PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm starting to grow as a tennis fan.

Pheobo
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'm starting to get past this whole Serena-loathing thing. She's actually come across to me as a lot more gracious than she used to be, and I'm really starting to appreciate her game. I was thinking that I would much rather see her win the French Open than Vaidisova, Sharapova, Henin, or Kuznetsova. I would throw Clijsters in there too but I don't think she's playing. I still hate hate it when she says "the only player that can beat me is myself", though.

It also could be possible that the less Serena plays (and wins, and beats my favorites :( ) the more she's faded from my mind and now I've found even more players to h8 on.

Woe is me.

tonybotz
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Glad to see you grow. Embrace your inner-Serena. I actually met her at a signing at Macy's when she was 17. She was huge in person and genuinely a nice person. I wished her luck at the Chase, which was the season ending at MSG that year. She's a lot of fun.

sweetpeas
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM
She's a lot of fun.

Thanks

Craigy
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:46 PM
She's a lot of fun.

Thanks
You aren't Serena :o

ico4498
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM
Serena has always been more gracious than your average tennis snob ...

Conor
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: You had me on the ground with that one Craig!!!.... flip... very good :lol: :lol: Your right too....

Craigy
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: You had me on the ground with that one Craig!!!.... flip... very good :lol: :lol: Your right too....

I'm worried about out little sweetpeas. It appears that she thinks she is Serena :help:

tonybotz
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hey, if I were to think I was somebody else, Serena's not such a bad person to psychotically become.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hey, if I were to think I was somebody else, Serena's not such a bad person to psychotically become.

At least you could make it believable :p

Conor
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Awk leave ol' sweatpeas alone, shes dead on ;) and her posts are good craic to read :lol:

partbrit
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Serena is a great sportswoman. I have some issues with other aspects of her life, but on the court, there isn't anyone more down the line (no pun intended) than Serena. I think she is also very gracious, and, within the sport, an outstanding role model.

.Andrew.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM

:rolls:

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Awk leave ol' sweatpeas alone, shes dead on ;) and her posts are good craic to read :lol:

Yeah, I was in fits reading through her posts :rolls:
God help her :help:

Marshmallow
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Good. We ought to save the loathing for players who REALLY deserve it, like Maria! I'm teasing... :lol:... :fiery:

Conor
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I was in fits reading through her posts :rolls:
God help her :help:

Sweetpeas, on behalf of Craig and I, we salute you!!! :lol: :lol: keep up the good work...

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:12 AM
Sweetpeas, on behalf of Craig and I, we salute you!!! :lol: :lol: keep up the good work...

She never talks back :(

Conor
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
She never talks back :(

Oh well.... she must be a lady in demand! :lol: right im off for some toast! l8rzzz

ico4498
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
btw Pheobo, growth is a good thing.

Pheobo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
btw Pheobo, growth is a good thing.

Especially with all of these free trial packages of Enzyte I keep getting in the mail...

And...

"he has two heavily built chocolate bunnies - especially Serena"
-Sweatpeas on Richard Williams :help: :lol:

What an idea for an easter basket....

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Especially with all of these free trial packages of Enzyte I keep getting in the mail...

And...

But the thing is, someone said that before her :help:

Pheobo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
oh, ok.

But...it's even worse if this kind of word choice isn't contained to just one insane person.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=295338
Here's another example of sweetpea's greatness :hearts:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
I've always thought that Serena and Venus were both sweet kids (I'm moving towards 50, so they're kids to me! LOL).

What rubs me the wrong way, is how some people recently try to take great champions like Chris Evert, and use her as a Serena and Venus hating machine. As a long time fan of Chris' and a fan of the William's sisters since I first saw them as teens, this doesn't fit for me and I disagree with these people. But that's the internet, and nothing to do with the Chris, Serena or Venus. But these discussions do tend to ruin the good feelings that I have for the American game.

As an American, I hope that all of our top players - retired and current -- are on the same page and supporting each other and the powers that be here in the states to keep tennis alive amongst fans here. Especially since there are only a few tournaments played in the US anymore, and only the William's are really top contenders at the moment. Which is totally different from when I first started following the game as a pre teen in the early 70's.

This is not to say that I dislike international competitors. I'm a particular admirer of Jelena Jankovic, Sveta, Justine, Kim, and lately Petrova. I always root for them -- unless they're playing Serena or Venus! ;)!

Craigy
oh, ok.

But...it's even worse if this kind of word choice isn't contained to just one insane person.

Exactly.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10516152&postcount=2
Oh dear :lol:

ico4498
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
What rubs me the wrong way, is how some people recently try to take great champions like Chris Evert, and use her as a Serena and Venus hating machine.

the unfortunate thing;

Chris Evert is a "hating machine" ... a great champion and ambassador for tennis, unless the players are Vee & Ree.

then she forgets her own past and spouts some ludicrous hypocrisy. it is who she is, golden girl without a clue spouting venom if the issue is Williams.

Chris was a great champion, reluctant to take a stand, but on-court almost peerless. to this day she's clueless ...

franklinbouvier
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Cretin.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
Could it be that sweetpeas was merely thanking the POSTER for their initial post?

mauresmofan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:52 AM
Her speech at the Australian Open really gained her a lot of respect from non-fans. It was one of the few times she's let down her guard and let people see the real Serena.

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
I'm worried about out little sweetpeas. It appears that she thinks she is Serena :help:

Nothing to do with the thread but I love the avatar Craig!

Martie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:32 AM
Glad to see you grow. Embrace your inner-Serena.

:spit:

Inner-Serena?

:yeah:

TSequoia01
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM

And...

What an idea for an easter basket....

So now its smiling Pheobo I take it?

Dunlop1
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'm starting to get past this whole Serena-loathing thing. She's actually come across to me as a lot more gracious than she used to be, and I'm really starting to appreciate her game. I was thinking that I would much rather see her win the French Open than Vaidisova, Sharapova, Henin, or Kuznetsova. I would throw Clijsters in there too but I don't think she's playing. I still hate hate it when she says "the only player that can beat me is myself", though.

It also could be possible that the less Serena plays (and wins, and beats my favorites :( ) the more she's faded from my mind and now I've found even more players to h8 on.

Woe is me.

:rolleyes: So this deserved a thread?? :rolleyes: :o

esquímaux
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Glad to see you grow. Embrace your inner-Serena. I actually met her at a signing at Macy's when she was 17. She was huge in person and genuinely a nice person. I wished her luck at the Chase, which was the season ending at MSG that year. She's a lot of fun. :innerserena: :hearts:

miffedmax
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

Woe is me.

It's okay to like Serena, as long as you don't abandon the one TRUE faith . . . ;)