PDA

View Full Version : John Wertheim - Sharapova Done?

Sugar_Kane
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
A busted serve is often a pretext for a busted psyche. (See Anna Kournikova, Elena Dementieva, Wee Willie Coria et al.) And once the serve goes, the rest of your game can crumble in a hurry. It changes your whole outlook. Michael Richardson of Europe notes that, "on points won on second serve Sharapova has dropped to a low percentage, which now places her 83rd among the top 100 players. Compared to other top 30 players it puts her in last position, tied with Dementieva, who also scores 40 percent points on her [killer of a] second serve."

I spoke with a Hall of Fame player who thinks this is really serious business for Sharapova: "I worry she's done." I don't agree with that. How many times have we seen players (Andy Roddick comes immediately to mind) go through a rough patch, play their way out of it and resume their careers just fine. Give Sharapova a few months to iron out her motion and clear her head and she'll be fine.

Libertango
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
:rolleyes: Maria is only just starting IMO. ;)

Olórin
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
How OTT. Serena's serving was a little ropey in 2004 and she's come through it now to be serving as well as ever. And it's not like she did badly in 2004 anyway, even with a less reliable.

Im sure Sharpie will recover asap.

SelesFan70
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I still haven't figured out why la Sharapova hasn't gone back to her old serve in matches where she's struggling. :confused:

schorsch
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
ridiculous.

schorsch
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
I still haven't figured out why la Sharapova hasn't gone back to her old serve in matches where she's struggling. :confused:

maybe, because of the shoulder?

ys
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Sure she is done.. Made finals at last two Slams, won one of them.. Who else is done? Henin and Mauresmo perhaps? And they are like 10 ten times more done than Sharapova..

sweetpeas
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM

So true? Maria also can serve just like Golivn and other"s.Golvin has a good serve? Really there a lot of young players serving like tati?

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
She just turned 20. I think its a tad early to say she's done just because she's developed a hitch in her serve. She will have to retool just like every player does who hits a rough patch. Tennis is about ups and downs.

Talula
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
The poster is only repeating what a journalist said. The journalist is ridiculous. Maria has achieved more than most her age and will continue to do so.

Emina.
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Sure she is done.. Made finals at last two Slams, won one of them.. Who else is done? Henin and Mauresmo perhaps? And they are like 10 ten times more done than Sharapova..

:lol: ;)

`

Serenita
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Sugar_Kane;10563047]
I spoke with a Hall of Fame player who thinks this is really serious business for Sharapova: "I worry she's done." I don't agree with that. How many times have we seen players (Andy Roddick comes immediately to mind) go through a rough patch, play their way out of it and resume their careers just fine.

The diffrence is that Andy has a damn good coach, unlike shalala she's being coach by her Father YURI. she will have to change her coach!!

ico4498
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM
washed up at 20? i know Jon responds to some crazy reader questions, but this is just cock eyed drama.

Emina.
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
maybe, because of the shoulder?

could be ..:awww:

`

cellophane
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
:rolls:Typical Werido. Can he get any better at bandwagoning? Okay, never mind... I didn't read that properly, but you can't blame me for thinking that it was Typical Weirdo.

schorsch
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
i would really like for masha to get help from a famous coach, but just in general. not because of all this. just to get more views, more insight.

sweetpeas
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM
The poster is only repeating what a journalist said. The journalist is ridiculous. Maria has achieved more than most her age and will continue to do so.

So true? Maria will fix her serve? Must player will go through one thing or another?Just like us in life!!!!The strong survives?

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Wertheim doesn't say she's done. He said he spoke to someone who worries about it.
Poor thread title.

The_Pov
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Wertheim doesn't say she's done. He said he spoke to someone who worries about it.
Poor thread title.

Actually the poster just put the title of Wertheim's article.

And there is a question mark:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
There's no link to an article. And Wertheim is defending Sharapova.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM

Her "old serve" is causing the tendonitus apparently.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
A busted serve is often a pretext for a busted psyche. (See Anna Kournikova, Elena Dementieva, Wee Willie Coria et al.) And once the serve goes, the rest of your game can crumble in a hurry. It changes your whole outlook. Michael Richardson of Europe notes that, "on points won on second serve Sharapova has dropped to a low percentage, which now places her 83rd among the top 100 players. Compared to other top 30 players it puts her in last position, tied with Dementieva, who also scores 40 percent points on her [killer of a] second serve."

I spoke with a Hall of Fame player who thinks this is really serious business for Sharapova: "I worry she's done." I don't agree with that. How many times have we seen players (Andy Roddick comes immediately to mind) go through a rough patch, play their way out of it and resume their careers just fine. Give Sharapova a few months to iron out her motion and clear her head and she'll be fine.
Did any of these idiots happen to know that Sharapova has been nursing a shoulder injury, which is the root cause of her service woes?

Just plain ignorant.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM

So true? Maria also can serve just like Golivn and other"s.Golvin has a good serve? Really there a lot of young players serving like tati?

You never make sense :confused:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
I doubt she's done, I don't see how you can have such a great serve and then never get it back. She will, the question is when.

antonella
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
She's still struggling to adapt to her towering build, Wertheim should know this and if he doesn't he should be slapped. Give her another year and everything will be alright.

Rome
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
If Justine can change her serve 10 times why can't Maria?

Привет
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
I wish she could return to her old serve, I liked the look of it much better than the current one. But if it aggravates injuries than Maria should look into working with a good serving coach and rebuilding her serve again.

Rome
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
She's still struggling to adapt to her towering build, Wertheim should know this and if he doesn't he should be slapped. Give her another year and everything will be alright.

I have to say you are wrong my friend about the growing (Venus & Lindsay are as tall as Sharapova)part. But one thing comes to my mind about trying to change a serve after you get hurt from the serve that help you win slams. If you take a look a Venus game the some of the same stuff happen she got hurt change her serve and it's not being the same since. But if Justine can change her serve 10 time why can't Maria? The Anwser is she can just give her some time to work on it. But i'm know cleo so who knows.