PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Highest Quality Matches

Olórin
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
What are the best matches you have seen Serena play against opponents also playing their best tennis?

Some of mine are:
Serena def. Mauresmo Wim 2002 62 61

Serena def. Capriati YEC 2002 26 64 64 :worship:

Serena def. Davenport USO 2002 63 75 (the year before also was excellent)

Serena def. Henin Wim 2003 63 62

Serena def. Clijsters Miami 2002 64 62

Serena def. Henin Rome 2002 76 64

To be honest there are loads more such as the Miami Final against Graf, and Serena plays great most of the time. But these are the ones that stuck out for me :cool:

There are some matches which are just wipeouts I suppose as Serena simply isn't letting her opponent play their game, like her recent ones against Maria and her last encounters with Hingis:lol:

sweetpeas
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Serena def. Henin Rome 2002 76 64

Top of my head right now?
But iam know there are many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serena!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Serena def. Hingis 2001 US Open SF i think

her first serve was 100% in second set

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
omg I have to say I agree with that match!! she served 100% in the second set and closed out the match with 4 aces :D PLUS her two matches against MaSha this year....even if MaSha was playing poorly she didn't allow herself to drop to that level and played excellently throughout :D:D

Calypso
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
Serena def. Hingis 6-3,6-2 US Open2001 SF, spectacular serving!
Serena def. Davenport 6-3,7-5 2002 US Open ?SF, unbelivably solid play all round and personally, the 2002 USO is where I accepted that Serena at times is just unbeatable! There was no fault to be found in any part of her game and I thought Lindsay did well to push Serena, even earning her ?only break point late in the match:eek: .
And her movement was :eek: , made even more dramatic by that cat suit:drool: !

friendsita
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
omg I have to say I agree with that match!! she served 100% in the second set and closed out the match with 4 aces :D PLUS her two matches against MaSha this year....even if MaSha was playing poorly she didn't allow herself to drop to that level and played excellently throughout :D:D

Totally agree :worship:

urock34
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Serena def mauresmo rg 03 was another great performance and the masha matches this year maria never had a chance!

Olórin
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Serena def mauresmo rg 03 was another great performance and the masha matches this year maria never had a chance!

Too true, that is in my top 3 Serena performances on clay. She just pinned Mauresmo to the back of the court and fired at her from both flanks :drool: Shame she had to lose in the next round, I really thought she was going to win :sad:

Craigy
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Serena def. E. Dominikovic 6-1 6-1 - Wimbledon 2002.
I think she hit something like 15 winners and 1 unforced error :eek:

:inlove:
May 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Serena over Raymond Wimbledon 2000.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM

omg did you see the stares she gave MoMo during that match...even I was afraid

Thanx4nothin
May 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
2007 aussie open final was frighteningly good...match against capster at wimbers was hilarious all that build up on the bbc a 2hr 30 min slot and saying it could be a final and 39 or so brief minutes later and we were back in the studio with good old sue barker!

serenafan08
May 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Serena beating Capriati 6-1 6-1 at Wimbledon in '04 was unbelievable. I have never seen her hit her backhand better. She simply crushed Jennifer that day, and it was an emphatic win over her biggest rival.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
2001 US Open-QF Serena def. Davenport (6-3,6-7,7-5) That was one hell of a match! Both of them played some brilliant ball that day and they were taking it to one another nasty-style, excellent stuff!

2002 YEC-SF Serena def. JCap (2-6,6-4,6-4) I was in the audience for this one! It's one of the best live matches I've seen- and I've been lucky enough to have seen some really good ones through the years.

2000 Los Angeles-F Serena def. Davenport (4-6,6-4,7-6) For those of you who haven't seen this match find it, it's a beauty!

2004 Los Angeles-QF Serena def. Zvonereva (4-6,6-3,6-3)

1999 Indian Wells-F Serena def. Steffi Graf (6-,3-6,7-5) Funny thing was at that time I was rooting for Steffi. It took some time before I could watch the match and actually find joy in Serena winning it- and now it's one of my favorties.

2002 Roland Garros-SF Serena def. JCap (3-6,7-6,6-2) FIREWORKS, DRAMA...and all that other good stuff these two always brought out of one another.

2004 Wimbledon-SF Serena def. Mauresmo (6-7,7-5,6-4) I remember it like yesterday. It was the match that Mauresmo was positioned to win. She had won the first set and was up a break in the second before Serena the juggernaut came storming back to win. A must see for any Serena fan that hasn't seen it.

2001 Toronto-SF Serena def. Monica Seles (7-5,7-6) Monica had finally beaten her so Seles had a lot of confidence going into the match. Seles played some great tennis but Serena really stepped it up. This was a clash of the titans!

2005 Australian-SF Serena def. Masha (2-6,7-5,8-6) Serena had some sketchy play all throughout but you'd be hard pressed to find a better example of that fighting spirit of hers. As soon as the last ball was struck this was an instant classic.

2002 Miami-F Serena def. JCap (7-5,7-6) Another one of their classic battles- they have so many to chose from, but this was a good example of both of em' playing well.

Renalicious
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Serena def. J. Cap @ Wimbledon 2004 6-1 6-1. Hyped up and then PLOP! Bye bye Jenny dear. :D

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Serena def. J. Cap @ Wimbledon 2004 6-1 6-1. Hyped up and then PLOP! Bye bye Jenny dear. :D

I guess it can be argued that because Serena played so well there was no way for JCap to play her best. I loved that much oh-so-much, but I don't think it's a great example of two players playing at their best like the thread started wanted. Instead, this is more of an example of Serena in the zone and totally shutting out the opossition.

Renalicious
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I think JCap played well. I just think that Serena was too good. If Serena and another player play at their best, there will be no third set. Simple as that. (With the exception of US SF against Davenport.)

Watching
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The best 3 matches I have seen from Serena are in no particular order:

-RG 03 Quarter against Mauresmo
-Aussie 0pen Final 07 against Sharapova
-US Open Semi 01 against Hingis

Matches that I want to see but can't find to download from anywhere are:

-Wimbledon 02 Semi against Mauresmo (I heard this could be Serena's best performance ever)
-Wimbledon 02 match against someone Craig said
-US Open 02 match against someone 35 winners to like 8 errors or something?

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
What are the best matches you have seen Serena play against opponents also playing their best tennis?

There are some matches which are just wipeouts I suppose as Serena simply isn't letting her opponent play their game, like her recent ones against Maria and her last encounters with Hingis:lol:

The matches where she's in flight and totally kickin' ass are of course my favorites to watch and if all things are equal I'd prefer those kinds of wins to the drawn out battles. But there is something to be said about those hard fought battles where her opponents are almost matching her shot for shot. Those are the matches where Serena has to become the Warrior Princess and fight to win. Those epic battles are almost even more fulfilling than the blow-outs because she beat player "x" at their very best.

Some of the matches that you guys included are some of my favorites, but again, I don't think they're good examples of the opponents at their best- it's more like Serena playing almost flawless. Then again would thinks be all that different if Serena was playing flawless tennis, I'm not so sure...

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM
The matches where she's in flight and totally kickin' ass are of course my favorites to watch and if all things are equal I'd prefer those kinds of wins to the drawn out battles. But there is something to be said about those hard fought battles where her opponents are almost matching her shot for shot. Those are the matches where Serena has to become the Warrior Princess and fight to win. Those epic battles are almost even more fulfilling than the blow-outs because she beat player "x" at their very best.

Some of the matches that you guys included are some of my favorites, but again, I don't think they're good examples of the opponents at their best- it's more like Serena playing almost flawless. Then again would thinks be all that different if Serena was playing flawless tennis, I'm not so sure...

I think if Serena comes out zoned i.e. AO Final, 61 61 JCap, she doesn't let you get anywhere, that Wimbledon 2002 semi with Momo example I gave, I thought Mauresmo played really well, but Serena just was omnipotent on the tennis court, and there was no place Mauresmo could get to.

However Serena does quite often start slowly or at least needs a few games to get into the groove, and this allows her opponents to do the same and that can create quite a match. Sometimes she can take a set to wake up, Miami this year being a prime example, and this is why Serena has such amazing comebacks :worship:

So in short, I agree :yeah:

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
This thread is making me all nostalgic. I need to go in the vault and pull out some of these great matches- that'll help me get through the off season.

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
This thread is making me all nostalgic. I need to go in the vault and pull out some of these great matches- that'll help me get through the off season.

They've helped me get through the year :p

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
lol...i need matches :( ....there's so much i missed over the years by not being able to watch women's tennis during the season and not only scarcely at GS...*sigh*

Renalicious
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Poor you... :sad:

tennisjunky
Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
lol...i need matches :( ....there's so much i missed over the years by not being able to watch women's tennis during the season and not only scarcely at GS...*sigh*

they have tons of people who trade or sell old matches. seen most of the matches in this thread, but dont own to many. these would all be great to have.

like the match against hingis at the us open, serena was perfect for the entire set. her highest quality match.

the match where serena and the other player both played their best would be the match at wimbledon against amelie.

youizahoe
Nov 29th, 2007, 01:08 AM
QF Australian open 2005;

S Williams d. A Mauresmo 62 62... I remember that match by heart, she had so much agression in her game that day, Mauresmo didn't know what do, to get in control of that power she was receiving...

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 29th, 2007, 01:18 AM
^oh man i remember that...me and my daddy were watching it and we were just like...wow! i thought that after how the wimby match had gone in 04 i was thinking it was gonna be tough...i particularly remember though the rd before that when she played petrova...after she lost the second set she ripped off the white bib looking thing on her outfit and hammered her in the 3rd...and i think that those 2 things (the wimby 04 match and the match before with petrova) helped spark what we saw against momo

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM
they have tons of people who trade or sell old matches. seen most of the matches in this thread, but dont own to many. these would all be great to have.

like the match against hingis at the us open, serena was perfect for the entire set. her highest quality match.

the match where serena and the other player both played their best would be the match at wimbledon against amelie.

ty for the info...yea i watched that serena hingis match....that second set...ending it with 4 unreturnable serves...excellence :worship:

doni1212
Nov 29th, 2007, 02:54 AM
^oh man i remember that...me and my daddy were watching it and we were just like...wow! i thought that after how the wimby match had gone in 04 i was thinking it was gonna be tough...i particularly remember though the rd before that when she played petrova...after she lost the second set she ripped off the white bib looking thing on her outfit and hammered her in the 3rd...and i think that those 2 things (the wimby 04 match and the match before with petrova) helped spark what we saw against momo

So true!

urock34
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I guess it can be argued that because Serena played so well there was no way for JCap to play her best. I loved that much oh-so-much, but I don't think it's a great example of two players playing at their best like the thread started wanted. Instead, this is more of an example of Serena in the zone and totally shutting out the opossition.

has the whole match been uploaded?

santhuruu
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
The match I saw live on tv where serena played a high quality match was definetely the Final of the Australian Open this year. Check out the highlights I uploaded of that match!

http://www.dailymotion.com/tennismania/video/x3m0ey_highlights-serena-williams-vssharap_sport

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks a lot - unbelievable tennis! I think we will see a lot more of that this year! Serena was a lot more dissapointed with her year than we think - seeing her end no.7 to the likes of Anna C is just stupid! :tape:

doni1212
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
The match I saw live on tv where serena played a high quality match was definetely the Final of the Australian Open this year. Check out the highlights I uploaded of that match!

http://www.dailymotion.com/tennismania/video/x3m0ey_highlights-serena-williams-vssharap_sport

Best highlights I've seen!!! Good job!!
Now, you've made me sooo mad. I wish the AO was tommorrow, :fiery: . It's when Serena plays her best! Something about down-under, lol.
I want a 4th AO trophy for Serena in a final against Justine or Venus or even Lindsay!!! Hell, she can even crush Maria again for all I care.

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Best highlights I've seen!!! Good job!!
Now, you've made me sooo mad. I wish the AO was tommorrow, :fiery: . It's when Serena plays her best! Something about down-under, lol.
I want a 4th AO trophy for Serena in a final against Justine or Venus or even Lindsay!!! Hell, she can even crush Maria again for all I care.

:haha: I would love to see Serena in the final against anyone - but I'm sure her opponent wouldnt :lol:

Haha - an all Williams final would be the best start to the year ever!!