PDA

View Full Version : Petrova and Kuznetsova put Russia in command

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
Petrova and Kuznetsova put Russia in command

By Gennady Fyodorov
MOSCOW, April 21 (Reuters) - Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova won their singles matches to give Russia a comfortable 2-0 lead over Spain in their Fed Cup quarter-final on Saturday.
Petrova overcame a slow start to beat Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-3 6-4 in the opening rubber before world number five Kuznetsova overpowered Lourdes Domingues-Lino 6-3 6-2 in 66 minutes to put the home team in command.
A nervous Petrova fell behind 0-2 in the first set and also trailed 0-3 at the start of the second, but she still prevailed in an uninspired clay-court battle at Moscow's Luzhniki Sports Palace.
The world number nine was clearly relieved to finish off the number one Spaniard in straight sets as she began having problems with her right wrist toward the end of the second set.
"It was a tough, tough match and I'm just glad to be able to finish it and give my team the first point," Petrova told Russian television. "I haven't played the team competition for a while so I completely forgot the feeling of it. It took me some time to get it back."
Kuznetsova had little trouble against Domingues-Lino, running the 66th-ranked Spaniard ragged with her powerful groundstrokes off both sides, forehand and backhand.
"Actually I was very nervous before the match because I had not played Fed Cup for two years and I didn't know how I would feel playing in front of the home crowd here in Moscow," said 2004 U.S. Open champion Kuznetsova.
"But as the match progressed I felt more and more in control. I probably could have done a bit better, still 6-3 6-2 looks like a good score to me."

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/e1/fullj.getty-tennis-fedcup-rus-spa_10_14_54_am.jpg
Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova reacts during her match against Lourdes Dominguez-Lino of Spain of the Fed Cup tennis tournament in Moscow, 21 April 2007. Kuznetsova won 6-3; 6-2. AFP

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/91/fullj.getty-tennis-fedcup-rus-spa_8_10_40_am.jpg
Russia's Nadia Petrova after winning over Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues the Fed Cup quarter-final tennis tournament match in Moscow, 21 April 2007. Petrova won 6-3; 6-4. AFP

.Andrew.
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Good stuff for Russia :bounce:

Happy for Nadya. She was in trouble against Anabel, really tricky opponent and was able to dig out of a hole. Really good stuff.