PDA

View Full Version : Why are people criticising Ana for not playing Fed Cup?

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Last season Ana Ivanovic played while Jelena Jankovic didnt and there wasnt much said about it but this year Ana didnt play and their are comments going around saying 'Ana should thank Jelena' and blaming Ana had they not qualified.

If they hadnt, Ana would have nothing to be sorry about - she did a great job last season and had Jelena played they could have been promoted last year :wavey:

I know it doesnt matter as Serbia have qualified but give Ana a break!

ivanban
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Well Serbia qualified just barely 'cause of Anas' missing. Plus, Jelena played every year for FED Cup (several years I think) and didn't play only last year. At this time last year Jelena was playing awful and was losing always in 1st rounds and seriously thinking of quiting tennis. So I don't think anyone would play in that case for their country. She thought that at that moment she was playing so badly that she would just needlessly occupy spot in Serbian team.
And Anas' excuse for not playing this year was "Well I don't want to get injured". That's just most stupid thinking that I've ever heard. I mean, she can injure herself during regular practice. Unless there is increasingly bigger risk of injuring yourself if you play FED Cup. :eek:

©@®eLess
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
well Ana's exuse is just lame. Jelena could have said this year that she doesnt want to risk an injury. But she flew all the way from USA...playing all last week ... flying to Plovdiv, Bulgaria....playing 7 matches in 4 days! Last year she had virus going on, bad form, and thinking of quitting tennis. And Jelena managed to get Serbia to play-offs with far worse team then last year. Ana had Krstajic in doubles...and Danica i a a lot better player then Timotic. This year we went with totally unprepared Lukic and a junior, and with Timotic...

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well Serbia qualified just barely 'cause of Anas' missing. Plus, Jelena played every year for FED Cup (several years I think) and didn't play only last year. At this time last year Jelena was playing awful and was losing always in 1st rounds and seriously thinking of quiting tennis. So I don't think anyone would play in that case for their country. She thought that at that moment she was playing so badly that she would just needlessly occupy spot in Serbian team.
And Anas' excuse for not playing this year was "Well I don't want to get injured". That's just most stupid thinking that I've ever heard. I mean, she can injure herself during regular practice. Unless there is increasingly bigger risk of injuring yourself if you play FED Cup. :eek:

no disrespect to Serbia, but even though she hadnt won a match all season at the point of the Fed Cup, she would have been better than the others, had she played they would have gone up last season, and there probably is a higher chance of injury - having to play doubles and singles everyday

©@®eLess
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
no disrespect to Serbia, but even though she hadnt won a match all season at the point of the Fed Cup, she would have been better than the others, had she played they would have gone up last season, and there probably is a higher chance of injury - having to play doubles and singles everyday

do you think an off form Jelena could beat Peer!

schorsch
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
lets not dwell in the past. i'm sure ana will play for fedcup soon. it was tough on jelena playing this much, but maybe next time they'll play together. :-)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
do you think an off form Jelena could beat Peer!

Jelena wouldnt have played Peer - Anna was ranked higher :p

aussie12
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
i know its like shes the only one not playing. what about henin, clijsters etc.

K-Dog
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
a team with Ivanovic and Jankovic could contend for the title, that's why. and her reason is lame as well.

predrag
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
i'm sure ana will play for fedcup soon. it was tough on jelena playing this much, but maybe next time they'll play together.

In Sunday papers Ana expressed huge desire to play alongside Jelena
come July Fed Cup week. She publicly called on TSS, Serbia's Tennis
Association, to contact her manager and set her appearance in next
round. Her provisional schedule, announced in November, runs only
through Wimbldon.

And Jelena's most recent quote states: "...It's realistic we can win
the Fed Cup. We have an advantage over most of other countries
who only have one top player". Sounds like she already knows Ana
will join her.