PDA

View Full Version : How would you want to see your favourite retire?

GoDominique
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Or if your fave is retired, were you okay with it?

There are many different ways of how players end their careers:

1. "Waking up one morning and realising you are done with tennis." Well that's what many players say when asked about how they will retire. Her game might still be top-notch but the motivation is gone.
Example: Steffi Graf.
2. Pregnancy, causing a sudden retirement as well.
Example: Lindsay Davenport.
3. Farewell season. Player is usually still competitive but no longer at the very top of the game and realises it's time to go with dignity.
Example: Chris Evert.
4. Career fizzling out. Player keeps playing despite being past her prime. Her results get worse and worse and she moves out of the spotlight. Either she's still motivated but can't get her game together anymore, or she's going through the motions and losing interest (because of marriage etc.).
Examples: Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Irina Spirlea.
5. Semi-retirement. Usually done by slightly lesser players or doubles experts. Retiring from singles but still playing doubles.
Example: Lori McNeil. :o (and many others that I can't think of right now)
6. Multiple retirements. Players retire but come back a few years later.
Examples: Martina Navratilova, Martina Hingis.
7. Chronic injury trouble.
Examples: Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati.

Which one do you like best? :)

MyskinaManiac
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
How about, BAM she wins a slam... and then that's it. Wouldn;t that be perfect?

GoDominique
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:54 PM
How about, BAM she wins a slam... and then that's it. Wouldn;t that be perfect?
Yup, but no one ever does this. :p

Scotso
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM

Scotso
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM

Sampras.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM

Robot Pete :o

Lina retired thru getting married then pregnancy,
plus injuries and illness combined :sobbing: :sad: plus a role in TV.

Craigy
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'd just like her to leave being happy :)

.Andrew.
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM
I'd like my favorite to be at top or at least near the top of her game...

And of course I hope that they will be happy. :)

Steffi's quote was great at her retirement. :yeah:

I don't think she should've retired yet at that point, she was still playing extremely well.

GoDominique
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah right, Pete. But actually it was a farewell tour with a lucky finish. :p

sapir1434
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Winning Roland Garros :hearts:

AlwaysGraf
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Steffi's was great a french open and a wimbledon final-if i could change one thing it would be that final-then she could have gone out with the french and wim-but alas it wasn't to be-but a slam and slam final-bloody fantastic :)

Shonami Slam
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM
any retirement is good if it can still provoke a last tear-jerk.

Vacant
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Number three maybe.

One is good as you go out near your peak, but you dont get much of a chance to say bye.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'd pick a long career that gradually fizzles out. Nothing demostrates a player's passion for the game more than when they are prepared to keep going even when they are past their best. That is the sign of a warrior, and the sign of someone who loves to play and refuses to give up. I want to see my favorite players battle to get every last win they are capable of. To me there is no more gallent way to finish ones career. I am reminded of a great quote from the movie "Mr Smith Goes to Washington"; "The only causes worth fighting for are the lost causes." When a player is prepared to fight against injuries and aging and younger opponents just to stay in the game, that takes guts. I have warmed to many veteran player over the years who just refused to call it a day even when all common sense should have told them their best days were over.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM
Definitely NOT No 7 which must be terribly frustrating.

Going out with a win in a Slam is obviously great, but you're nevertheless left with the feeling that if you are still that good you might have won even more if you've kept on playing.

I'm glad that Hingis is back, but she will never know what she might have won in the years when she wasn't playing, so No 6 is not the best choice IMO.

No 3 is best. You've gotten everything out of your career you could. You don't have to worry about what could have been if you would have kept on playing just a bit longer because you're slipping, yet you didn't stick around up to a point where you were only a shadow of your former self (like in option No 4).

crazillo
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
My fave played her last match against the player I dislike the most, any questions? :sad:

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
My fave played her last match against the player I dislike the most, any questions? :sad:

:lol: - just unlucky!

Olórin
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I would like my favourite player to retire, achieving everything she's wanted to. If that means retiring as a slam winniner then all the better!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Like Pistol Pete

MistyGrey
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
IMO, Steffi Graf had the best retirement ever.. a slam title, another final, #3 ranking. So I'd like my other favs Mary and Justine to have a similer retirement, at the top of their game.

Of the list, I'd choose either #1 or #3. Evert's retirement was very classy!

Emina.
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I wont think of that now...its too early to say. :)

`

-sugi-
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'd pick a long career that gradually fizzles out. Nothing demostrates a player's passion for the game more than when they are prepared to keep going even when they are past their best. That is the sign of a warrior, and the sign of someone who loves to play and refuses to give up. I want to see my favorite players battle to get every last win they are capable of. To me there is no more gallent way to finish ones career. I am reminded of a great quote from the movie "Mr Smith Goes to Washington"; "The only causes worth fighting for are the lost causes." When a player is prepared to fight against injuries and aging and younger opponents just to stay in the game, that takes guts. I have warmed to many veteran player over the years who just refused to call it a day even when all common sense should have told them their best days were over.
:worship: That is certainly the way I would like to see my favourites retire :)

ico4498
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
on their own terms and happy.

The_Pov
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Who would want 4 or 7 for their faves.

I would want a farewell tour where they win the US Open and Wimbledon.

Princeza
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Winning Roland Garros for everyone one of them.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Going out like Sampras, winning a slam and walking away would be perfection.

As a Davenport fan, Lindsay's way of walking away was very much her way of doing it. And I'm happy she's happy, because that's what matters the most.

champGS1452
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
I liked Lindsay's way of retiring,a perfect sign of moving on to the next phase of her life.

Serenita
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
i'll have to go with 1, seems harsh and over the edge.

LeRoy.
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
"The Pete Sampras way"

:worship: :bowdown:

Scotso
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
I think #4 is honorable. They're people who really love the game and want to play as long as possible.

The players who want to "go out on top" and stick their nose up at the thought of falling down the rankings are just arrogant and can't stand the thought of losing. :shrug:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Farewell season.

austennis
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
Going out on top.. still competive and at their best.. its wat Davenport did and it was i think Serena, Justine, Venus, Martina will do in future..

BUT i not happy with kims retirement.. i wish she had finished after melbourne now..

irma
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
pregnancy is a nice reason but you need the right man for that so I would retire as soon as I found him (aka Steffi ;))

Andy.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Going out while they are still on top like Steffi maybe collecting one final slam.

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
She's not my favourote, but Kim winning Wimbledon and then retiring, getting married etc would be pretty sweet for her fans.

nsquare
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
i would like mary to retire after winning rolang garros in 2008
about my other faves ( lenaD,mirza,serna etc..)i am not sure but i wont want anyone to retire with a chronic injury.
i think a long steady career is much better than a short splashy career

Maria Croft
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Going away with a win, that would be nice, or winning a slam in your last year :)

ce
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
serena to win LONDON 2012 then she can retire

Lindsayfan32
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
The way Lindsay went out was not the way expected it to happen but I'm glad it happened the way it did. Lindsay could have been forced to retire by any number of injuries and she had been saying for a long time she wanted to start a family and she seems really happy what more could you want for your favorite player. Even officially announcing it had Indian wells seemed the right way to go and it was done in typical Lindsay fashion "quietly with no fanfare".

honeymo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Winning Roland Garros :hearts:

That would be so great :angel:

terjw
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Or if your fave is retired, were you okay with it?

There are many different ways of how players end their careers:

1. "Waking up one morning and realising you are done with tennis." Well that's what many players say when asked about how they will retire. Her game might still be top-notch but the motivation is gone.
Example: Steffi Graf.
2. Pregnancy, causing a sudden retirement as well.
Example: Lindsay Davenport.
3. Farewell season. Player is usually still competitive but no longer at the very top of the game and realises it's time to go with dignity.
Example: Chris Evert.
4. Career fizzling out. Player keeps playing despite being past her prime. Her results get worse and worse and she moves out of the spotlight. Either she's still motivated but can't get her game together anymore, or she's going through the motions and losing interest (because of marriage etc.).
Examples: Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Irina Spirlea.
5. Semi-retirement. Usually done by slightly lesser players or doubles experts. Retiring from singles but still playing doubles.
Example: Lori McNeil. :o (and many others that I can't think of right now)
6. Multiple retirements. Players retire but come back a few years later.
Examples: Martina Navratilova, Martina Hingis.
7. Chronic injury trouble.
Examples: Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati.

Which one do you like best? :)

Chrissie was my first favourite tennis player. Steffi was my next after Chrissie retired. I remember the day Chrissie retired. I felt sick at the time. I didn't really want her to ever retire at all. I want her never to age and to go on for ever. But of course we have to live in the real world.

Looking back now - I really think Chrissie did it perfectly. She was #3 in the world - right up there. She wasn't going to get #1 and overtake Steffi. She'd achieved everything she could possibly have achieved. So to me the way she did it - #3 option - is the way I'd want looking back after the event.

How do I think of the way my next favourite player did it - Steffi - option #1? Well not bad really - but I wish she had seen the season out and at least played the USO? I remember all that changing her mind those weeks after Wimbledon. First she was retiring. Then she might play USO. Then she definitely would be giving the USO a last shot. Then no - out the blue - she says she's retiring now? But that was only a a few weeks really she couldn't make up her mind. Once she'd made her mind up - you have to respect her decision.

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
lol the thought of venus or serena retiring depresses me lol..golovins still got an couple of years left so i wont even mention her

Tennisaddict
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
I would love for Venus to have a farewell season with it culminating in a YEC win :yeah:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
How do I think of the way my next favourite player did it - Steffi - option #1? Well not bad really - but I wish she had seen the season out and at least played the USO? I remember all that changing her mind those weeks after Wimbledon. First she was retiring. Then she might play USO. Then she definitely would be giving the USO a last shot. Then no - out the blue - she says she's retiring now? But that was only a a few weeks really she couldn't make up her mind. Once she'd made her mind up - you have to respect her decision.

Didn't Steffi do a farewell tour of exhibition matches? I never saw any, but I did read that somewhere.