PDA

View Full Version : Goth Metal - any fans?

Patrick S
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
I just wanted to check if there were any goth metal fans here. I´ve been a big fan of this genre since i stumbled upon Theatre of Tragedy´s first album in 1995.
For those that dont know what goth metal is i´ll try explain it. Goth metal is heavy metal mixed with strong influences from classical music and opera. The music is usually really slow and heavy and the lyrics are often very dark but at the same time kind of romantic. Many bands use two vocalists, one female using an opera-style of vocals and one male using death/black metal growling type of vocals, This mix of is often called "beauty and the beast vocals".
Funny enough this kind of music is almost entirely made in europe, i can´t think of a single american band that makes "real" goth metal. Evanescence is perhaps the closest thing and i guess you can call it the "MTV-version" of goth metal.

Some of my favourite bands are: Theatre of Tragedy, Nightwish, Leave´s Eyes, After Forever, Within Temptation, Epica

Kampi
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I just wanted to check if there were any goth metal fans here. I´ve been a big fan of this genre since i stumbled upon Theatre of Tragedy´s first album in 1995.
For those that dont know what goth metal is i´ll try explain it. Goth metal is heavy metal mixed with strong influences from classical music and opera. The music is usually really slow and heavy and the lyrics are often very dark but at the same time kind of romantic. Many bands use two vocalists, one female using an opera-style of vocals and one male using death/black metal growling type of vocals, This mix of is often called "beauty and the beast vocals".
Funny enough this kind of music is almost entirely made in europe, i can´t think of a single american band that makes "real" goth metal. Evanescence is perhaps the closest thing and i guess you can call it the "MTV-version" of goth metal.

Some of my favourite bands are: Theatre of Tragedy, Nightwish, Leave´s Eyes, After Forever, Within Temptation, Epica

Hi Patrick S,
well, what can I say...I'm into all kinds of Heavy Metal since the early 80's. Growing up with bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica and Slayer.:rocker2: Personally I like Nightwish, but unfortunately their big achievements are in jeopardy right now. It was a sad day when they fired Tarja and I'm afraid this was a disastrous decision.:confused:

Rock hard:rocker: ,
Markus

Hachiko
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Nightwish are fantastic, my favourite band for sure. I liked Tarja and I was so disappointed they had her fired but after reading the open letter they posted on their website, it seemed like they made the right decision because of her behaviour and the way she treated the other members.

Anyway, they have a debut single coming out on May 30 with their new (anonymous?) singer. I think it will only be available in Finland because all the profit raised will go to charity.

I don't really know the metal genres very well but Within Temptation, His Infernal Majesty and Visions of Atlantis are good too. A lot of people say Nightwish are Symphonic Metal or Power Metal, but I think it's too difficult to differentiate.

Maajken
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm a big fan of Nightwish, Within Temptation and to a lesser extent After Forever :worship:

But i've never really considered them heavy metal, just good hard rock with a mystic edge to it ;)

Martian Jeza
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM

Amy Lee doesn't like that much MTV, I'm afraid.

Pheobo
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Amy Lee doesn't like that much MTV, I'm afraid.

Funny that her music caters to it then.

Benchwarmer1
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
not exactly goth metal, but hey it's still metal.
I am a HUGE mathcore/grindcore fan, then Death Metal, i freakin' love metal as a whole though, best genre ever

My favorite bands are: Between The Buried And Me (see avatar), Into The Moat, Children Of Bodom, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time i Die, Mastodon, As i Lay Dying, All That Remains, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Bullet For My Valentine etc. (wow that was kinda long) that's what she said

hakush...
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
epica :hearts:

Ravsieg
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
I do love Goth Metal, like Cradle of Filth and Children of Bodom even though I prefer Power/Symphonic Metal like Nightwish, Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica. :)

Frode
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:03 AM
I love my Rock, but Goth is really not my thing.

I like Lacuna Coil, which is the closest in my CD collection.

Lunaris
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry for this bump but I must have missed this thread in the first place.

The best and leading band of the gothic metal genre is without any doubt norwegian Tristania. Although their last album is too much progressive to be called simply Gothic. Norway has the best metal bands.

Official clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqq_p0MA91s

Unnofficial ones, but from those available on youtube my favourite songs. Whether the clips match the songs is another story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIUjtbPlBeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D90fkYiuOJo

cometz9
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I like Cradle of Filth, been a fan ever since they released "Dusk...and Her Embrace" in 1997.

Stavie
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM
not exactly goth metal, but hey it's still metal.
I am a HUGE mathcore/grindcore fan, then Death Metal, i freakin' love metal as a whole though, best genre ever

My favorite bands are: Between The Buried And Me (see avatar), Into The Moat, Children Of Bodom, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time i Die, Mastodon, As i Lay Dying, All That Remains, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Bullet For My Valentine etc. (wow that was kinda long) that's what she said

:rocker2: ;)

The Crow
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Not sure if this fits the 'goth metal' category but I like Type O Negative. October Rust is a great album.

Moonspell is okay too.

Within temptation is too cheesy these days :p I like The Gathering better.

Oh and I loathe Evanescence.

kittyking
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I have some Cradle of Filth music on my computer, for some reason it seems to soothe my nerves :confused:

Lunaris
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Not sure if this fits the 'goth metal' category but I like Type O Negative. October Rust is a great album.

Moonspell is okay too.

Within temptation is too cheesy these days :p I like The Gathering better.

Oh and I loathe Evanescence.
The Gathering are amazing, although I wonder what they will sound like without Anneke. :sad:

Natalicious
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
my fav goth bands are
nightwish (but only with tarja :o ), within temptation & evanescence :inlove:

saint2
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Dont like goths metal...I love classic heavy metal from 80's like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, WASP and bands like that, but goths are boring to me ...