PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Work in a Foreign Country

Hayato
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
I really, really want to go to Peru to do a few months volunteer work in a remote school. I found a program which looks perfect and I think it would be really rewarding and i've always wanted to do it. But none of my friends are really interested so I wouldn't know anyone there. And most of the people who volunteer tend to be about 30, and I will be about 18.

Has anyone done it before? Or even in their own country? Can you share your experiences if you have? :)
Thanks for reading :wavey:

austennis
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Hey i went last year aged 18 to volunteer in north west india on my own.. and its scary at first.. but once u been there for week you will feel like uve been there forever. And by time i came home i had so many friends and ppl who r like family that it feels like ive got 2 homes.. Do it .. u will love it

Hayato
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Hey i went last year aged 18 to volunteer in north west india on my own.. and its scary at first.. but once u been there for week you will feel like uve been there forever. And by time i came home i had so many friends and ppl who r like family that it feels like ive got 2 homes.. Do it .. u will love it

ohh great :D thanks for the feedback and it's good to know u enjoyed it! :yeah:

Meesh
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:00 PM
I haven't done it but I hope you jump at the oppurtunity now while your young! Good Luck!

Are you worried more about safety? or just the unknown? or just having no companions at first?

I think you should go for it! :wavey:

Machu Pichu still my dream destination :)

Slumpsova
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM
awww you are so young. you are supposed to go to school, not building school :o

*abby*
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
i did some volunteer work for 3 weeks in a tiny village in romania, obviously nothing compared to a year in a different country but seriously it is so amazing!
in my experience the people were wonderful and made me feel so welcome. it showed me that you dont have to have all the latest clothes or gadgets to be happy, they barely had anything and were some of the most content people i have ever met
dont pass up this opportunity, it WILL change ur life
:)

Hayato
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
I haven't done it but I hope you jump at the oppurtunity now while your young! Good Luck!

Are you worried more about safety? or just the unknown? or just having no companions at first?

I think you should go for it! :wavey:

Machu Pichu still my dream destination :)

Thanks :D :hug: Well no not really about my safety, just the unknown and not knowing anyone there :lol: but i guess that would be half the fun. Yeah and a tour to Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail is included too :hearts: which is where i've always wanted to go.

awww you are so young. you are supposed to go to school, not building school :o

:lol: Well I would have finished school by then. I finish in 7 months. :)

i did some volunteer work for 3 weeks in a tiny village in romania, obviously nothing compared to a year in a different country but seriously it is so amazing!
in my experience the people were wonderful and made me feel so welcome. it showed me that you dont have to have all the latest clothes or gadgets to be happy, they barely had anything and were some of the most content people i have ever met
dont pass up this opportunity, it WILL change ur life
:)

awesome :bolt: :worship:
I wouldn't be going for a year either...but for a few months. thanks for the info abby :wavey: :hug:

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:28 AM
Definitely I think you should do it. You won't have another time in your life when you can do something like this.

Just make sure you completely understand the program, and talk to people who have already done it with that program.

Doing it without friends will be fine; you will meet people and can experience something for yourself.

Be prepared for some things you don't like about it, and think through in advance what you will do when you are unhappy, and what your commitment is.

I have a Peruvian friend, from Lima; not sure how much insight she could give you but I'd be willing to put you in touch. She is very, very enthusiastic about Peru (only unhappy with the government).

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
I have done work in both Mexico and Guatemala... and I can tell you a bit about the experience...

This summer, I was actually offered to go to Peru aswell... along Ghana and Jordan... but the money just wasn't there...

Hayato
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Definitely I think you should do it. You won't have another time in your life when you can do something like this.

Just make sure you completely understand the program, and talk to people who have already done it with that program.

Doing it without friends will be fine; you will meet people and can experience something for yourself.

Be prepared for some things you don't like about it, and think through in advance what you will do when you are unhappy, and what your commitment is.

I have a Peruvian friend, from Lima; not sure how much insight she could give you but I'd be willing to put you in touch. She is very, very enthusiastic about Peru (only unhappy with the government).

Thanks for that drake! :hug: Yeah I definitely know what it involves but I can't really see what I wouldn't like about it :lol: It's been the one area i've always wanted to go to, since i was like 10 years old, and to go to help people would make it even more worthwile. I'm pretty sure i'm going to do it. Just wanted some feedback if anyone's done it before :) Only problem is the cost. But I guess it's a priceless experience. Thanks that would be quite good if you could get her in touch :hug:

I have done work in both Mexico and Guatemala... and I can tell you a bit about the experience...

This summer, I was actually offered to go to Peru aswell... along Ghana and Jordan... but the money just wasn't there...

Great :yeah: I'm sure it was very rewarding and unforgettable :hearts: