PDA

View Full Version : Janica Kostelic ends her career

DarkchildSwiss
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Multi-Olympic champion Janica Kostelic has announced her retirement from skiing due to long-standing injuries.

"The moment has come to end my career, although I still want to ski. The main reason for this decision are injuries. I have suffered so many injuries and pain and don't want to go through this again," Kostelic said.

The 25-year-old quadruple Olympic champion put her career on hold last year and missed the last season, training only sporadically.

She has meanwhile focused on her recently opened beauty parlour and tried to keep her private life and her budding love affair with a little-known Croatian away from the limelight.

"I'm not the type who seeks media attention and my life should be much more comfortable now," she said.

Kostelic has won nine gold medals from world championships and Olympic Games since 2002, despite undergoing knee surgery 10 times. A dysfunctional thyroid forced her to take a six-month break three years ago.

She has also collected three overall World Cup titles, including the 2005/06 season's when she won nine World Cup events across all five disciplines and amassed a record points total.

I am so sad that she retires. For me she was such a good person and one of the most successful ski drivers of all times.

grmbl
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Goodbye LEGEND! :D :sad:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Janica :hysteric:

ViennaCalling
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
:woohoo:

Sorry, i don't like her! She said in Austrian TV that womens slalom is not interesting any more, because Marlies Schild wins all events! :ras: But if she wins all, it's more interesting, or what? :mad: :tape:

Bye JK! :p

FORZA SARITA
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Sorry, i don't like her! She said in Austrian TV that womens slalom is not interesting any more, because Marlies Schild wins all events! :ras: But if she wins all, it's more interesting, or what? :mad: :tape:

:smash:

.david.
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM

well it would me more intressting if both of them would be there.

Im sad to see her go. She was one of the best ever. Injuries suck.
Bye Jani:wavey::sad:

ViennaCalling
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
well it would me more intressting if both of them would be there.

Yes :drool:

Im sad to see her go. She was one of the best ever.

Yes ;)

tennismaster8820
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Goodbye Janica! :sad:
She retires at such a young age! Just like Kim Clijsters!
If only she didn't have that terrible fall in St.Moritz! :sad:

This post is little bit over the line!
Janica always said what's on her mind, she said that only Marlies knows how to ski slalom well and that competition in that discipline is realy weak! She was saying that even when she was winning all those races! :rocker2:

marc0026
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
She skied unique, so unbelievable gracefully... she had her own elegant style like nobody else on skies! Wonderful to see! She won`t be forgotten! The best of the bests!

Maybe she comes back one day like hingis.. I will miss her...

Cilla
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
:sad: She's my fave skier along with Wieberg.

Sandstorm
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Goodbye Janica...:sad::sad:

I will miss her

Jogi
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I hope and think she'll come back... maybe Vancouver 2010 ;)

wipeout
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
That sucks. :sad:

Those damn injuries and that thyroid problem.

So it's goodbye to one of the greatest ever. :wavey:

A legend. :worship:

adam_ads_n
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Goodbye Janica :sobbing:

Goodbye the best skier in recent years, the one who I was cheering for all her career. And what's more important - the skier who opened all the possibilities to Croatian skiers - there is a Slalom World Cup in Zagreb, there are her brother Ivica, Nika Fliess and Ana Jelusić, and there would probably be even more in future.

But still - good luck in your private life my champion! :)

Dexter
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
O.M.G.!

I hoped to see her skiing again. Such a terrible news. :sad: Good bye Janica! Thanks for all great memories! :sad: :wavey:

Jenny.C.Fan
Apr 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Absolutely gutted :sad: . I can't believe she's not coming back, alpine skiing just isn't the same without her, she was so talented and its such a shame that her career has come to an end, good luck with everything Jani, you certainly have inspired so many people and you will be badly missed. :sad:

Frode
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
No surprise.
She will be missed.
Good luck with the rest of Your life.:)

Zl@tko
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Definitely expected. Good bye Janica and best of luck in whatever you do!

croat123
Apr 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM
You could see it coming but I'm still so sad that it's official :sad: