PDA

View Full Version : Notes On a Scandal

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Has anyone seen this? I netflixed it tonight and thought it was ok but have a question... am I the only one who thought it was hilarious despite trying to be serious? Like a dark comedy? Maybe I'm wrong :lol:

*abby*
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
totally agree and i loved it!

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I thaught it was great but it seemed short and very anti climactic...:mad:

BTW, I cancelled my Netflix yesterday...I've had the same two movies for the last two months and have yet to return them...I dont see the value in it...:shrug:

controlfreak
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Haven't seen it, I'm waiting for Cliff Notes on a Scandal.

Sam L
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Has anyone seen this? I netflixed it tonight and thought it was ok but have a question... am I the only one who thought it was hilarious despite trying to be serious? Like a dark comedy? Maybe I'm wrong :lol:

Sally, is that a euphemism for "it was almost in camp territory"? :lol:

I've only seen it once, so I can't say I agree. Everything may have seemed over the top because the characters were so irrational.

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I thaught it was great but it seemed short and very anti climactic...:mad:

BTW, I cancelled my Netflix yesterday...I've had the same two movies for the last two months and have yet to return them...I dont see the value in it...:shrug:

the value of netflix shows itself if you have a dvd burner watch a lot of movies.

Drake1980
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I loved that movie, was brilliant.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
the value of netflix shows itself if you have a dvd burner watch a lot of movies.

*Calls the National Enquirer to expose hollywood actress involvment in the illegal burning of movies then bragging about it on WTA World..*

Dont worry Sal, it's not about you...;)

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
*Calls the National Enquirer to expose hollywood actress involvment in the illegal burning of movies then bragging about it on WTA World..*

Dont worry Sal, it's not about you...;)

Sally doesn't admit or deny guilt. She is merely stating a fact. :angel:

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Sally doesn't admit or deny guilt. She is merely stating a fact. :angel:

but still it's not about you...:tape: though the scandal would do wonders for your career.

BTW Sal, I heard you are being considered to play 50 Cent adopted mother in a gangsta movie set to film later this year? :eek:

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
but still it's not about you...:tape: though the scandal would do wonders for your career.

BTW Sal, I heard you are being considered to play 50 Cent adopted mother in a gangsta movie set to film later this year? :eek:

Sally can do ghetto fab with the best of them!

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Sally, is that a euphemism for "it was almost in camp territory"? :lol:

I've only seen it once, so I can't say I agree. Everything may have seemed over the top because the characters were so irrational.

It was almost. :lol:

venus_rulez
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I saw it at the mall yesterday and was SO tempted to buy it, but must wait until payday :o It was a fantastic movie and yeah it was a bit over the top at times, but still brilliantly done especially the performances by Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. Too bad Cate didn't scream her lungs out in a song or she'd have her second Oscar.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I loved that movie. Got in there not expecting much and it was kinda dark and intense.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Sally can do ghetto fab with the best of them!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julia...still grieving over Imus uh? :lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM

I didn't think it was "hilarious" but I never understood, poor writing I guess, why Cate Blanchett would mess around with an underaged boy, or why she had any interest in being friends with Dench, because Dench was so dull. Also, was Blanchett the only person alive at that school who didn't know Dench was a lesbian, it was written all over the walls of the bathroom at one point. I did sort of get pleasure out of Blanchett's character's meltdown at the end because she was so stupid I thought she deserved it and found it amusing that she had fallen into Dench's silly web. So, I didn't think it was really funny, but parts amused me.

What I didn't get was why Blanchett put all that silly make-up on when she was hiding out at Dench's apartment, it made no sense to me at all.

I think the soon to be camp classic from last year was Black Dahlia, pure hilarity from beginning to end, but still good. I know, if I'm alive still, 50 years from now I'll be watching Hilary Swank seduce the fat butch lady girl scout at the seedy motel and be laughing my ass off.

Monica_Rules
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I quite liked it, Judy Dench was impressive in the film.

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I didn't think it was "hilarious" but I never understood, poor writing I guess, why Cate Blanchett would mess around with an underaged boy, or why she had any interest in being friends with Dench, because Dench was so dull. Also, was Blanchett the only person alive at that school who didn't know Dench was a lesbian, it was written all over the walls of the bathroom at one point.

She was too busy screwing the boy to notice. Plus she was new.

What I didn't get was why Blanchett put all that silly make-up on when she was hiding out at Dench's apartment, it made no sense to me at all.

I'm not sure what she was doing either except maybe trying to relive her 80s punk phase... And why did Dench throw away the diary page in plain sight? :shrug:

I think the soon to be camp classic from last year was Black Dahlia, pure hilarity from beginning to end, but still good. I know, if I'm alive still, 50 years from now I'll be watching Hilary Swank seduce the fat butch lady girl scout at the seedy motel and be laughing my ass off.

I have that here too... I should watch it I guess :lol:

LeRoy.
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
i thought it was intended to be a dark comic lesson on human misbehavior. If you have read the book by Richard Eyre, you can tell thats what he was aiming for all along. I thought for once the movie was much better than the book. Maybe it was because of the superb actors that played their parts to perfection.

patricio
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I think the score in the movie sucks big time...

Helen Lawson
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM
She was too busy screwing the boy to notice. Plus she was new.

I'm not sure what she was doing either except maybe trying to relive her 80s punk phase... And why did Dench throw away the diary page in plain sight? :shrug:

I have that here too... I should watch it I guess :lol:

Don't miss Black Dahlia, I loved it, I love everthing Brian DePalma does, but the plot goes into the ridiculous along with the Hillary Swank character. It's not to the Showgirls/Mommie Dearest/Valley of the Dolls level (yet) but there will be some snickers.

!<blocparty>!
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I finally got hold of a decent quality version last night, now the US DVD is out. Thanks for the reminder, Sal.

I loved the film. Without Dench and Blanchett it would have been average at best, but they turned it into something special. Parts of it were absolutely hilarious - when Dench was made to dance after the Sunday lunch, and her descriptions of Blanchett's family :tape::lol:.The "disturbing" bathtub scene I'd heard so much about was disppointing, though. At the end when Cate confronted Dench about the diary there's an incredible scene. :worship:

Fun movie.

Sally Struthers
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I finally got hold of a decent quality version last night, now the US DVD is out. Thanks for the reminder, Sal.

I loved the film. Without Dench and Blanchett it would have been average at best, but they turned it into something special. Parts of it were absolutely hilarious - when Dench was made to dance after the Sunday lunch, and her descriptions of Blanchett's family :tape::lol:.The "disturbing" bathtub scene I'd heard so much about was disppointing, though. At the end when Cate confronted Dench about the diary there's an incredible scene. :worship:

Fun movie.

"Here come the local pubescent proles... the future plumbers and shop assistants... and doubtless the odd terrorist too."

:lol:

b_o_r
Apr 20th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Sheba Hart: What you say about me, about Richard - you're not fit to shine his shoes. And Ben, and P-Polly, that I'd be happier without them. Why did you do it?
[slaps Barbara]
Sheba Hart: Because I didn't help you collect your cat?
[slaps Barbara again]
Sheba Hart: You've cost me my family!
Barbara Covett: No, no, take some responsibility! I gave you EXACTLY what you wanted! You'd still be stuck in that marriage without me.
Sheba Hart: What?
Barbara Covett: You can't accept it yet, but ...
Sheba Hart: You think I wanted to be here with you?
Barbara Covett: You need me, I'm your friend!
Sheba Hart: You put me in prison, I could get TWO years!
Barbara Covett: They'll fly by! I'll visit you every week! We've so much life to live together!
Sheba Hart: You think this is a love affair? A relationship? What, sticky gold stars, and - and a strand of my hair? A sticker from Pizza Express? It's a flat in the Archway Road and you think you're Virgina frigging Woolf! And where did you get a strand of my hair, did you pluck it from the bath with some special fucking tweezers?
-------------------------
:haha: *best scene ever*