PDA

View Full Version : How did Lena develop such a unique game?

kinglear
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I know all about her training at the Spartak club in Moscow, but I have never seen another person play like her, male or female. I know I made a thread about comparing her to male players, but there's no one who really plays like her. I see some Agassi in her, but he didn't have Lena's pace and power. Is strictly her great body rotation on her shots that makes her so unique? I wonder why there aren't more Russian girls who play like her. I'm sure some of the girls would be inspired by her. Someone like Sharapova has a game that so many girls have, from Vaidisova to Azarenka, and the list goes on. Then again, Elena is a mysterious specimen of the human mind, as well as physical. She's just an enigma, I guess. :)

miffedmax
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Nobody rotates like Lena, especially when she does the full body rotation screaming forehand of death.

Oh, Lord, if she could only serve.

selyoink
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Personally I like it when Nastya leaps in the air and throws her whole body into her forehands. It is cool to watch. Obviously her forehand was never her best shot though.

Realizes this is a Lena thread :bolt:

Dementinator
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Selyoink ,what ARE you doing! this aint about Nastya ,nor the cheap hooker from Amarillo either...tis about the one and only golden one...trust you to post completely the wrong answer..... dear oh dear..

Lena is indeed unique ,she has a lot of abilities ,she hits those amazingly powerful forehands ,harder than quite a few ATP dudes in fact ,shes fast ,shes a big girl but moves just like a much smaller one..she has that ability to hit massive winners when being pulled out of court, she makes shots from anywhere.

She can play well from then net, although she rarely goes there and her grit and stamina is unmatched. Her serve is the only area where she falls down, but even thats unique and Lena has still done wonders with it, Maria without her serve is nobody.

Obviously a combination of factors have ceated the player Lena is, her amazing physical condition and stubborness at times, however it came about, thank god it did....

kinglear
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Selyoink ,what ARE you doing! this aint about Nastya ,nor the cheap hooker from Amarillo either...tis about the one and only golden one...trust you to post completely the wrong answer..... dear oh dear..

Lena is indeed unique ,she has a lot of abilities ,she hits those amazingly powerful forehands ,harder than quite a few ATP dudes in fact ,shes fast ,shes a big girl but moves just like a much smaller one..she has that ability to hit massive winners when being pulled out of court, she makes shots from anywhere.

She can play well from then net, although she rarely goes there and her grit and stamina is unmatched. Her serve is the only area where she falls down, but even thats unique and Lena has still done wonders with it, Maria without her serve is nobody.

Obviously a combination of factors have ceated the player Lena is, her amazing physical condition and stubborness at times, however it came about, thank god it did....

True, True, but what I'm curious about is who told her to the technique she uses on her forehand and even her backhand? Who taught her how to get down so low for her shots? I know flat strokes are usually hit really low, but who taught her how to combine those low flat strokes with her whiplash-inducing power and pace? It's such a mystery because there any players who play like her. I guess it's the same case with Martina Hingis; no one plays like Hingis. Do you think it was Lena's mom who gave her some serious development that no coach or training school could give her? :confused:

selyoink
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Just trying to stir up trouble.

miffedmax
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Actually, I think Nastya and Lena do have some similarities in their stroke department--they both are the only women I can think of who routinely go airborne when swinging.

Obviously, there games have differences, but you can tell they're both Spartak girls.

aod2k9
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I love Elena...I think Myskina and Elena have very similar games...

Think about it. Both hit VERY flat off both sides and have a VERY distinctive weapon; Elena has her forehand while Myskina has her backhand.

Also, there serves can be shaky...

No Name Face
May 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I love Elena...I think Myskina and Elena have very similar games...

Think about it. Both hit VERY flat off both sides and have a VERY distinctive weapon; Elena has her forehand while Myskina has her backhand.

Also, there serves can be shaky...

i don't agree. lena's forehand is way more of a weapon than nastya's backhand.

and lena doesn't hit as flat as nastya.

Willam
May 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Oh, Lord, if she could only serve.

Of lena could serve.. she already had been number 1.. fo sho!

kinglear
Feb 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It's true about Sharapova being nothing without her serve. But then again, that could go for a lot of players. As much as I love Davenport, wouldn't she be nothing without her serve? Because she doesn't move well so her serve has always helped her stay in one position. I think players work with what they have. Lena always knew she couldn't serve, so she focused on her movement and groundstrokes. I do think the fact that she made it to two Slam finals a terrible serve is quite an accomplishment. I just wish she had won them. :rolleyes::)