View Full Version : Gunman sent package to NBC News

Infiniti2001
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9664/grabbedframe4fq6.jpg
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

:eek:

venusdemilo
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:51 PM
This freak apparently WANTED the fame, WANTED the notoriety. He deserves to rot in hell for what he did.

Rocketta
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM
yeah, what's also shocking is all the signs that were going on. He's one that slipped through the cracks because he could function somewhat. :(

disposablehero
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
NBC deserves to rot in Hell for giving this little shitbag a forum.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

:eek:

Well Rocketta if a picture says a thousand words, this one says a million.
If you thought what you saw was prejudice in the last coming days, you haven't seen nothing yet.
Because once this picture/video is shown throughout the internet and media, the Asian American community might not ever be the same.

The media has the right to show this picture/video to get a perspective of this killer but it's the people who see this picture and associate a negative image of the asian american community with it that really worry me.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:48 PM
NBC deserves to rot in Hell for giving this little shitbag a forum.

All media is trying to find some kind of answer as to why this happened and what made this man different from others.
If this is something that might help then so be it.

cellophane
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Wow, that picture is scary.

Infiniti2001
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/18/sot.nbc.cho.speaks.nbc&wm=11

video

Paneru
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM
it's the people who see this picture and associate a negative image of the asian american community with it that really worry me.

And it really would show some of and
the prejudice in this country.

It's worrisome and hypocritical in that when
white men commit these horrid types of crimes,
their race is never made an issue.

Why is it that the media views caucasian people from
a racial standpoint as running the full spectrum, not
particularly catagorized but, in "minorities" these types
are somehow a represenation in some way shape or form?

Good and evil run the gamit for all races.
It's a human thing, not a race thing.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM

You put it perfectly.

Anyway, this is an idiot and an attention whore. I felt embrrassed for him when I was watching the video and I cut it half way. I wish he was caught alive.

Marshmallow
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/18/sot.nbc.cho.speaks.nbc&wm=11

video

The video was hardly "chilling", and i'm sorry if this offends many, but i actually felt sorry for him. I didn't see a deranged monster, a ruthless killer... to ME came across like a lost, deeply sad individual. His speech was very lost... thinking of himself like a martyr. As though he convinced himself he was going something good.

It's a real shame, and a very tragic situation. This guy needed help, had he gotten it, i don't think this would have happened.

I'm interested in learning about his upbringing, childhood and so on... what went wrong?

Marshmallow
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM

The pose! Like he's thinking he's in a movie, like a child plays with his toy guns. It doesn't look scary or anything to me. Just so sad.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Horrific.

selking
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
The video was hardly "chilling", and i'm sorry if this offends many, but i actually felt sorry for him. I didn't see a deranged monster, a ruthless killer... to ME came across like a lost, deeply sad individual. His speech was very lost... thinking of himself like a martyr. As though he convinced himself he was going something good.

It's a real shame, and a very tragic situation. This guy needed help, had he gotten it, i don't think this would have happened.

I'm interested in learning about his upbringing, childhood and so on... what went wrong?

They tried to help him, they put him in counsling, the teachers tried to get through to him but nothing. He wanted to be a loner, he wanted to feel bad about himself. It's really sad because a lot of people are like him, they want sympathy for being a loner, when they are the ones choosing to be that way.

Paneru
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:03 AM

I agree.

Inner pain turns to anger, anger turns to rage,
rage turns to hatered, & hatered can turn to
violence.

I feel pitty in watching that video.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Yes it would show prejudice but it wouldn't be the media's fault.
If I just show a video and people make a devestating negative opinion on it about the asian american community well it shows their prejudice but not media's.

Well that's not true.
When we think of serial killers most of us think white automatically because that's what media has shown us.

And yes good and evil run gamit for all races but as I have just explained some evil doesn't appear to run equaly for all races.
There are respected people in the criminal justice/sociology field that do believe that when it comes to America black people don't have the capability to be serial killers.
I don't know if it should be considered a compliment or an insult but there are some who do believe that.

hablo
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM
This guy obviously needed help. Lots of it.

I still don't get why the police thought the first shooting was a domestic incident.
The second shooting could have been avoided. But I guess what's done is done now.

Infiniti2001
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:14 AM
There are 32 families grieving tonight --- who gives a flying fig with the way the media is portraying his race/ethnicity? He was a psychopath who murdered 32 innocent people for crying out loud :fiery:

harloo
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I would sympathize with this guy if he only took his own life but he destroyed the lives of innocent people and caused many family members grief. He didn't wan't help, it was offered to him several times. After hearing accounts of how he terrorized the victims my heart goes out to them.

harloo
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
There are 32 families grieving tonight --- who gives a flying fig with the way the media is portraying his race/ethnicity? He was a psychopath who murdered 32 innocent people for crying out loud :fiery:

:worship: :worship:

Paneru
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Like it or not, everything is all
intertwined. This is our society.

And sorry but, Correction, 33!

No mother or father ever believe's they will raise
a child that will committ such a violent act.

tennislover
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Horrific.

ditto

Infiniti2001
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Like it or not, everything is all
intertwined. This is our society.

And sorry but, Correction, 33!

Yes, I imagine his family is heartbroken and grieving as well. Did he even think about them??? UGH

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Yes, I imagine his family is heartbroken and grieving as well. Did he even think about them??? UGH

Maybe, which is why he could have killed himself.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Funny how things change.
When I made a comment similiar to this 3 weeks ago, you were one to call it pure assumption.
It's not now is it.

piercerocks
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:12 AM
what a messed up kid

miffedmax
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:17 AM

That's not entirely true. During the 19th and much of the 20th Century, much was made of criminals being Jewish, Italian or Irish. These ethnic groups were viewed as being lazy, inherently dishonest, and more prone to drinking and violence than Americans of Northern European descent.

I agree with you that this is not the case today, but the history buff in me had to point it out. (In fact, it probably supports your point by showing just how deep-rooted this sort of behavior is).

The good news/bad news in these situations is that I think very few people are going to become biased against Asian-Americans because of these crimes. The people who will blame his ethnicity are all ready bigots--this will be used as "evidence" to prove what they already believe.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:26 AM
That's not entirely true. During the 19th and much of the 20th Century, much was made of criminals being Jewish, Italian or Irish. These ethnic groups were viewed as being lazy, inherently dishonest, and more prone to drinking and violence than Americans of Northern European descent.

I don't think the difference is that big, cause yeah, discrimination against Italians, Jews and Catholics isn't what it used to be, but I think it has always been that Protestents from an English and a northern European background were never seen from a discriminatory point of view in the US. And I do think that discrimination against the groups above is racism because Italians, Irish and Jews were not seen in the same perspective as northern Europeans when it comes to race.

The good news/bad news in these situations is that I think very few people are going to become biased against Asian-Americans because of these crimes. The people who will blame his ethnicity are all ready bigots--this will be used as "evidence" to prove what they already believe.

That's very true. But I think what happened shows again that while society as a whole may not have deep rooted racism, there's a deep problem when it comes prejudice and racial/ethnic groups are just not seen in the same light (and I mean in terms how people look favorably at them).

nflatte
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:35 AM
First of all, race is out of the question and should in no way be used to put any judgment upon others. I think more than anything the video showed how mentally abused and fragile this guy has been his whole life. His emotional well-being has been shaken by the occurrences for which he deems the society responsible. It looks like he has internalized these ill-feelings of multiple people within himself, and much later on uses it to avenge against society. Very sad indeed, and I wish more people would be aware of such individuals that may be facing a crisis like this one.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:02 AM

video
Really sad. He really believes that what he says.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM
This guy obviously needed help. Lots of it.

I still don't get why the police thought the first shooting was a domestic incident.
The second shooting could have been avoided. But I guess what's done is done now.
I don't know what the police could have done. Even if everyone was warned he was a student with id so he would have still been able to do the same thing.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM
You correct in part of your statement but we should care about how the media is protraying his race. If a white european did the same thing we wouldn't hear anything about the killer being Irish, or Italian, or English.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:11 AM

I agree with you that this is not the case today, but the history buff in me had to point it out. (In fact, it probably supports your point by showing just how deep-rooted this sort of behavior is).

What the media spin does is empower them in a lot of cases to act. I know a guy that gave an experience at a Buddhist meeting that said before he started practicing he would have been looking for a Middle Eastern to hurt after 9/11. IMO, that's why the media needs to live their bias at home. It a hidden racism that most of them probably don't even recognize.

hablo
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I don't know what the police could have done. Even if everyone was warned he was a student with id so he would have still been able to do the same thing.
They could have shutdown the campus or evacuated it.

But I suppose he would have found another way to shoot down people, as you say.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM

If they shutdown the campus what good would it have done. He still lives there. If it an been an outsider then perhaps your analogy would have worked.

hablo
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Okay, then I stick with the evacuation argument then. ;)

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:46 AM

That's not true, really. It's not like the media are pointing a finger at him because of his ethnicity. Like I said in the other thread, the media would have made a big deal out of it if he were a white immigrant from a "strange country" or if he were an Iraqui, and it wouldn't be about race. The media stereotype everybody... period.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM
:haha: @ "strange country". Oh, wait you said in another thread, "bad country."

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM
:haha: @ "strange country". Oh, wait you said in another thread, "bad country."

And?

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM
And?

Oh, I'm not gonna even bother.

Jakeev
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Considering several Asians where killed in the gunfire, the fact he is Asian should bear no reason that he was a cold-blooded killer.......

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Oh, I'm not gonna even bother.

Yeah, right. :lol: Thanks for playing. :lol: Your highly valuable contribution was appreciated. :)

Erika_Angel
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
This guy's face is plastered on every media website on the net and everytime I see it I feel sickened. My homepage is yahoo and I literally have to close my eyes and quickly type in an address.

As for all his comments & the photos: What a sick, pathetic bastard.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM
This is brilliant to say the least...

At least we have some answers of why this happened, and I must say it is sad how far we let such human suffer..

Erika_Angel
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:30 AM
This is brilliant to say the least...

At least we have some answers of why this happened, and I must say it is sad how far we let such human suffer..

Oh please.

People tried to help this kid. The professors, the college tried to help him. He didn't want to be helped.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Oh please.

People tried to help this kid. The professors, the college tried to help him. He didn't want to be helped.

It didn't help much.. seems like we weren't proactive enough...

Although you have a great point.. because you can only go so far..

treufreund
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Great post but why single out Northern Europeans? I have had people call my husband a Nazi because we spoke German. We have had doors slammed in our face and my neighbor who is German had her 9 year old son told by Jewish and Black children in his school that HE SHOULD MURDER HIS MOTHER BECAUSE SHE IS A GERMAN and THEREFORE A NAZI! Murder his mother!!! At age 9!!! :mad::sad: Like it or not, discrimination happens against all people.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Great post but why single out Northern Europeans? I have had people call my husband a Nazi because we spoke German. We have had doors slammed in our face and my neighbor who is German had her 9 year old son told by Jewish and Black children in his school that HE SHOULD MURDER HIS MOTHER BECAUSE SHE IS A GERMAN and THEREFORE A NAZI! Murder his mother!!! At age 9!!! :mad::sad: Like it or not, discrimination happens against all people.

GERMANS... I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WON THE WAR... :mad:

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Like it or not, discrimination happens against all people.

That goes without saying. All people are capable of prejudice and discrimination against others, and yes, it's very unfortunate that Nazis have shaped so much the views of a lot of people on Germany. However, I think that's beyond the point, because what I and others meant to say is that the American mainstream has been dominated for so long by Anglo-Saxon and northern European Americans and thus when discrimination happens by the mainstream against other Americans, it's usually against non-northern Europeans. Usually the media is the voice of the mainstream. This is where the whole WASP thing stems from. Ofcourse, idiots like cellophane would think that racism is all about white/black/asians and would not think that a "bad country" like Serbia can be subject of racism by other perceived "white people."

treufreund
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM
GERMANS... I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WON THE WAR... :mad:

Millions of German innocent citizens were firebombed and killed in Dresden and Leipzig after the end of the war. :sad: What the heck does your post even mean though? :confused:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Millions of German innocent citizens were firebombed and killed in Dresden and Leipzig after the end of the war. :sad: What the heck does your post even mean though? :confused:

If I may butt in, I think it was a sarcastic post to show that some people kinda look at Germans as if they won the war or that all older Germans believe that other races are inferior to them when they themselves have "tainted" blood (something Hitler ignored).

Veritas
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
The fact Cho was admitted into a psychiatric ward and released afterwards is what really disturbed me.

A video showing a mentally deranged individual making a speech that could've been pulled from a Hollywood movie raises an eyebrow, but not something that'd surprise me.

I still stand by what I said before - banning guns isn't ideal, but there should be a better system and more restrictions put in place to make sure people who buy them are also going to be responsible about their purchase.

As for the (subsequent) fallout for Asian Americans - can anyone say they'll be surprised? I know I won't. There's already a number of negative stereotypes perpetuated about Asians in the white man's popular culture. It's not necessarily prevalent, but there's hardly any real effort made to curb them.

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Of course, idiots like cellophane would think that racism is all about white/black/asians and would not think that a "bad country" like Serbia can be subject of racism by other perceived "white people."

:confused:

Do you even have a clue? I think you must be the idiot, because that's the point I was making. And that's discrimination based on national origin, not racism.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
:confused:

Do you even have a clue? I think you must be the idiot, because that's the point I was making. And that's discrimination based on national origin, not racism.

See, you're completely ignorant about race relations, and that's why I said I didn't want to bother. For the longest time, Slavs were seen as racially inferior by many Northen Europeans. Same thing for Mediterranean Europeans. Racism is not just about white/black/asian.

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
See, you're completely ignorant about race relations, and that's why I said I didn't want to bother. For the longest time, Slavs were seen as racially inferior by many Northen Europeans. Same thing for Mediterranean Europeans. Racism is not just about white/black/asian.

I never said anything like that. :lol: I said this would be discriimnation based on national origin. Can you differentiate? It's not about Slavs being seen as inferior by North Europeans. :rolleyes: It's about national stereotypes of what a Serbian is. Can you read anything I say? Apparently not.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I never said anything like that. :lol: I said this would be discriimnation based on national origin. It's not about Slavs being seen as inferior by North Europeans. :rolleyes: It's about national stereotypes of what a Serbian is. Can you read anything I say?

:yawn: No I can't. Again, I don't want to bother. The last thing I'll say on this is that simply because he would be Serbian, it doesn't mean that the media wouldn't be racist, as opposed to just discrimination on national origins. Serbians are Slavic people, and for the longest time, Slavs were seen as racially inferior. Just search for Nordicism on wikipedia.

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Oh, and by the way, if it goes beyond being Caucasian, then that's the point I was making. So thanks for playing. You sure know how to contradict yourself and make yourself look like a fool, by first agreeing with Paneru and then you call me an idiot for supposedly thinking the very same thing you agreed on. :lol: :cuckoo:

harloo
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Locking down all campus entrances and exits would of been the first step, the university had two hours after the first two shootings to inform students of the potential danger. The shooter dropped the video off at the post office before he wen't to kill the other victims. In my opinion he had too much time to carry out his plan.

cellophane
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
:yawn: No I can't. Again, I don't want to bother.

Then don't bother replying. Because you come up with the most inane bs.

The last thing I'll say on this is that simply because he would be Serbian, it doesn't mean that the media wouldn't be racist, as opposed to just discrimination on national origins. Serbians are Slavic people, and for the longest time, Slavs were seen as racially inferior. Just search for Nordicism on wikipedia.:cuckoo: at you trying to suggest that it's about the media's Nordicism ( :lol: ) and not national origin. Next thing you'll be saying that journalists are Aryans. :cuckoo: Which other defunct racial theory are you going to bring up? Anyway, the point that it's not always about someone who is white or not always about race has already been shown, so thanks.

griffin
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Locking down all campus entrances and exits would of been the first step, the university had two hours after the first two shootings to inform students of the potential danger. The shooter dropped the video off at the post office before he wen't to kill the other victims. In my opinion he had too much time to carry out his plan.

VT is a HUGE campus. They'd have had a hard time sealing it off even if they'd tried.

Even had they succeeded, as you noted he'd already gotten off campus, so he could have either a) waited out the lock-down or b) gotten back in with his student id since it seems they had no idea who the shooter was in the early stages.

venusdemilo
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
This freak would be a deranged idiot if he were any ethnicity. His ethnicity doesn't really matter in the larger scheme of things. His bullets certainly didn't discriminate. The larger question is why this bastard was let out of the institution and allowed to continue in school if they knew he was criminally and clinically insane. And why, if he had such a history of mental problems, was he allowed to purchase guns?

harloo
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
First of all, race is out of the question and should in no way be used to put any judgment upon others. I think more than anything the video showed how mentally abused and fragile this guy has been his whole life. His emotional well-being has been shaken by the occurrences for which he deems the society responsible. It looks like he has internalized these ill-feelings of multiple people within himself, and much later on uses it to avenge against society. Very sad indeed, and I wish more people would be aware of such individuals that may be facing a crisis like this one.

Many people face adversity in their lives and don't have any type of support system at all. Don't you know that their are mentally ill people living on the street who have no access to a nearby facility because programs at the county hospitals have been cut? He had access to help which was refused, therefore what could anyone do? When a person doesn't wan't to help themselves they are a lost cause.

Harju.
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Like someone said in another thread, it's sad how the media is going to dissect this nutso's life instead of remembering the victims.

griffin
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If the media could get us to pay as much attention to the victims' lives as to their murderer, they would.

Edward.
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Like someone said in another thread, it's sad how the media is going to dissect this nutso's life instead of remembering the victims.

I totally agree.

He was a crazy fucker and watching his videos and looking at his pictures makes that incredibly obvious.

Its a shame the victims are being overlooked.

Rocketta
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
If the media could get us to pay as much attention to the victims' lives as to their murderer, they would.

They could if they all agreed not to talk about the killer and only the victims but you and I know there would be some less than reputable agencies who will always go for the scandal. :(

venusdemilo
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
They could if they all agreed not to talk about the killer and only the victims but you and I know there would be some less than reputable agencies who will always go for the scandal. :(

A sad fact of life in America. The news agencies want the "big bang."

Rocketta
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
A sad fact of life in America. The news agencies want the "big bang."

ratings and advertising dollars have ruined the news. :tears:

griffin
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I don't know. I'd lovet o see them try.

If they can agree not to reveal the names of rape victims, and stick to it; if they can agree not to show footage of the idiots who run onto the field during ballgames and stick to it...

Maybe if someone convinced them it was a good marketing ploy.

Rocketta
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I don't know. I'd lovet o see them try.

If they can agree not to reveal the names of rape victims, and stick to it; if they can agree not to show footage of the idiots who run onto the field during ballgames and stick to it...

Maybe if someone convinced them it was a good marketing ploy.

Well something would definitely have to be in it for them to even be considered. :o

Lord Nelson
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM

The kid's Dad should advise his son to stand up for himself instead of telling his mum what they told him. Also kids say anything at that age.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
If I may butt in, I think it was a sarcastic post to show that some people kinda look at Germans as if they won the war or that all older Germans believe that other races are inferior to them when they themselves have "tainted" blood (something Hitler ignored).

I am a pro France American... Germany did gain control of France...:sad: