Apr 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Must admit, I'd never heard of her.

I was overwhelmed by her words.
I found her amazing.

What the students needed.

I thought V. Tech did a great job putting
this event on. Well done. Very much
needed.
You must have missed the talk radio spin yesterday. They were talking about how awful and self serving she was. The commentator dogged her, said she was disgusting talking about elephants and ivory and said the parents should have protested. He also said that the students applauded but they were in a state of mourning and didn't really know what was going on. He was also upset that someone had the never to mention Allah in his speech. Called Bush a coward for not mentioning God. :shrug:

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Her son attended my school in Atlanta...:D

Amazing poet...

NyCPsU
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
You must have missed the talk radio spin yesterday. They were talking about how awful and self serving she was. The commentator dogged her, said she was disgusting talking about elephants and ivory and said the parents should have protested. He also said that the students applauded but they were in a state of mourning and didn't really know what was going on. He was also upset that someone had the never to mention Allah in his speech. Called Bush a coward for not mentioning God. :shrug:

Mourners reflect on tragedy

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BLACKSBURG, Va. — President Bush, the nation’s consoler in times of tragedy, paused at a makeshift memorial on Tuesday across the street from the scene of the Virginia Tech shootings, then left behind a few words in sympathy.

The president scrawled “God Bless” and signed his name to a giant “VT” propped up on the trunk of a tree. The first lady, who laid a bouquet of roses at the memorial, wrote “With love, Laura Bush.”

Bush spent a moment of silence at the memorial after speaking at a memorial service on the campus where students, professors and administrators are anguishing over the nation’s deadliest shooting spree.

“It’s impossible to make sense of such violence and suffering,” Bush said a day after the rampage in which 33 people, including the suspected gunman, died.

“Those whose lives were taken did nothing to deserve their fate,” the president said. “They were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now they’re gone — and they leave behind grieving families, and grieving classmates and a grieving nation.”

Before flying to the university in southwestern Virginia, Bush ordered flags flown at half staff and issued a written proclamation in honor of those killed and wounded.

Speaking to a solemn crowd at a basketball arena, packed with students and others, many wearing orange short-sleeved Virginia Tech T-shirts, the president quoted a recent graduate blogging about the killings to encourage those who grieve to reach out for help.

“To all of you who are OK, I’m happy for that,” Bush said, quoting the Internet posting. “For those of you who are in pain or who have lost someone close to you, I’m sure you can call on any one of us and have help anytime you need it.”

The memorial service was subdued but ended with a spontaneous school chant of “Let’s go, Hokies!” the university mascot. The president met with a wounded student and 50 relatives of the victims, hugging them and telling them to take comfort from one another.

Bush urged those angered by the killings not to be overcome by evil.

“People who have never met you are praying for you,” Bush said. “They’re praying for your friends who have fallen and who are injured. There’s a power in these prayers, a real power. In times like this, we can find comfort in the grace and guidance of a loving God.”
Before the service, Bush received a briefing on the shootings and their investigation from Virginia Tech President Charles Steger.

On a day of raw emotion, Bush spoke to students who he said had just lived through the worst day of their lives.

“On this terrible day of mourning, it’s hard to imagine a time will come when life at Virginia Tech will return to normal, but such a day will come,” Bush said. “And when it does, you will always remember the friends and teachers who were lost yesterday.”

:shrug: guess that guy was full of crap then

i thought nikki giovanni was great :worship:

MisterQ
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't see her speak yesterday, but I've loved her poetry for years. :cool:

CondiLicious
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM
She was great. And you know what? She'd been warning people about Cho for years.

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/18/AR2007041800162.html

Cho (whose full name is pronounced joh sung-wee) appears first to have alarmed the noted Virginia Tech poet Nikki Giovanni in a creative writing class in fall 2005, Giovanni said.
Cho took pictures of fellow students during class and wrote about death, she said in an interview. "Kids write about murder and suicide all the time. But there was something that made all of us pay attention closely. None of us were comfortable with that," she said.
The students once recited their poems in class. "It was like, 'What are you trying to say here?' It was more sinister," she said.

Days later, seven of Giovanni's 70 or so students showed up for a class. She asked them why the others didn't show up and was told that they were afraid of Cho.
"Once I realized my class was scared, I knew I had to do something," she said.

She approached Cho and told him that he needed to change the type of poems he was writing or drop her class. Giovanni said Cho declined to leave and said, "You can't make me."
Giovanni said she appealed to Roy, who then taught Cho one-on-one. Roy, 51, said in a telephone interview that she also urged Cho to seek counseling and told him that she would walk to the counseling center with him. He said he would think about it.

mykarma
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Mourners reflect on tragedy

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BLACKSBURG, Va. — President Bush, the nation’s consoler in times of tragedy, paused at a makeshift memorial on Tuesday across the street from the scene of the Virginia Tech shootings, then left behind a few words in sympathy.

The president scrawled “God Bless” and signed his name to a giant “VT” propped up on the trunk of a tree. The first lady, who laid a bouquet of roses at the memorial, wrote “With love, Laura Bush.”

Bush spent a moment of silence at the memorial after speaking at a memorial service on the campus where students, professors and administrators are anguishing over the nation’s deadliest shooting spree.

“It’s impossible to make sense of such violence and suffering,” Bush said a day after the rampage in which 33 people, including the suspected gunman, died.

“Those whose lives were taken did nothing to deserve their fate,” the president said. “They were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now they’re gone — and they leave behind grieving families, and grieving classmates and a grieving nation.”

Before flying to the university in southwestern Virginia, Bush ordered flags flown at half staff and issued a written proclamation in honor of those killed and wounded.

Speaking to a solemn crowd at a basketball arena, packed with students and others, many wearing orange short-sleeved Virginia Tech T-shirts, the president quoted a recent graduate blogging about the killings to encourage those who grieve to reach out for help.

“To all of you who are OK, I’m happy for that,” Bush said, quoting the Internet posting. “For those of you who are in pain or who have lost someone close to you, I’m sure you can call on any one of us and have help anytime you need it.”

The memorial service was subdued but ended with a spontaneous school chant of “Let’s go, Hokies!” the university mascot. The president met with a wounded student and 50 relatives of the victims, hugging them and telling them to take comfort from one another.

Bush urged those angered by the killings not to be overcome by evil.

“People who have never met you are praying for you,” Bush said. “They’re praying for your friends who have fallen and who are injured. There’s a power in these prayers, a real power. In times like this, we can find comfort in the grace and guidance of a loving God.”
Before the service, Bush received a briefing on the shootings and their investigation from Virginia Tech President Charles Steger.

On a day of raw emotion, Bush spoke to students who he said had just lived through the worst day of their lives.

“On this terrible day of mourning, it’s hard to imagine a time will come when life at Virginia Tech will return to normal, but such a day will come,” Bush said. “And when it does, you will always remember the friends and teachers who were lost yesterday.”

:shrug: guess that guy was full of crap then

i thought nikki giovanni was great :worship:
That guy is always full of hate and crap. You really should have heard him dog Nikki, talked about her blond hair and was just ranting and yelling on the radio. I've always like Nikki and was excited to see that she was teaching.

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsloktqpeQ

Its horrible what happen at Virginia Tech...but who is this wacko lady comparing the murder of 32 human lives to a baby elephant?

:haha: I love youtube. It's a whoot!!

This freak was a true disgrace. A bleach blond monkey in a mans suit. Another example of why American Universities are going down the tubes. We have let the lunatics in. She had no business going on a self-serving political diatribe about Mexicans and Elephants. Look at the end of the video!!!! It was all about her. Disgusting.

:speakles: :tape:

Personally i loved her piece. It was uplifting and something i totally agreed with.

HippityHop
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
The situation of this guy making his classmates and teachers uncomfortable with his extremely violent writings is interesting. I wonder how many people would have been up in arms (no pun intended) if this guy had been kicked out of school and committed to an asylum against his will.

Just asking.

mykarma
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Personally i loved her piece. It was uplifting and something i totally agreed with.
Where did you get the quotes from? That's exactly what that guy said. He had his conservative listeners in a uproar. Most of them had probably not even heard Nikki's speech. I think she was awesome and the audience seem to feel the same way.

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Where did you get the quotes from? That's exactly what that guy said. He had his conservative listeners in a uproar. Most of them had probably not even heard Nikki's speech. I think she was awesome and the audience seem to feel the same way.

They heard the speech. The quote are from the youtube site. If you click the link, and read through some of the comments made - you'll find them.

:)

mykarma
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
They heard the speech. The quote are from the youtube site. If you click the link, and read through some of the comments made - you'll find them.

:)
I was talking about the people that responded to the idiot on talk radio yesterday.

moon
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I didn't see her speak yesterday, but I've loved her poetry for years. :cool:

ditto. :)
i did see a snippet on the news, and I was glad she was there.

mykarma
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM

That guy took the exact words from the talk radio show.

selking
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:29 AM
my favorite thing about her is how she has a "thug life" tattoo on her. hahahaha

Wigglytuff
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:37 AM
how can people not have heard of nikki giovanni?

Mrs. Peel
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:00 AM
my favorite thing about her is how she has a "thug life" tattoo on her. hahahaha

it is a tribute to Tupak Shakur

Mrs. Peel
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Unfortunately, many haven't and then they wanna comment on black culture but know nothing about it. :tape:

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM
You know why. She was to controversial. Back in the day I use to buy all of her poetry.

Scotso
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Fox News never mentioned Nikki Giovanni before? I'm shocked! :o ;)

I love her, she's my favorite poet.

selking
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM
it is a tribute to Tupak Shakur

yep i know, its just funny how a distinguished professor and poet would have the word thug tattooed on her

Lord Nelson
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM

I think God was mentionned a few times in the speech. How many more references to God does he want?

Wigglytuff
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
You know why. She was to controversial. Back in the day I use to buy all of her poetry.

i know why i just had to bring it up. :kiss: :angel: :eek:

Unfortunately, many haven't and then they wanna comment on black culture but know nothing about it. :tape:

TRUTH!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Pureracket
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I have an autographed copy of one of her books of poetry.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think God was mentionned a few times in the speech. How many more references to God does he want?
He was really upset because the Muslim mentioned Allah. Some peoples hate is to deep that it's blinds them.

Kunal
Apr 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
has got me all confused

samsung101
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I was not crazy about the religious personnel they had up there.
But, it was representative of the over zealous drive we have to
be PC at all times.

But, it was impressive to see Va. Tech. consolidate as a university
family so quickly, and deeply. Really does seem like a special school.

I hope they can keep that up, as the investigations go forward.

What an odd twist - Nikki was one of his professors, and wanted him
out of her class. I wonder if a professor can actually instigate getting
a student removed from school for behavior that isn't criminal, yet
menacing. Doubt it.

mykarma
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
be PC at all times.

menacing. Doubt it.
What was it that you didn't like about the religious personnel? I thought it was wonderful that everyone was represented. The killer didn't care what religion his victims were so why shouldn't everyone be represented. All the students were hurting and needed to be encouraged.

What's interesting is that this country was founded on freedom of religion, but the conservative christians are so intolerant of the difference of religion. As far as Nikki is concerned, she got him out of her class even though she kept him on the roll. Nikki's boss taught him after Nikki complained about him.

volley1
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
be PC at all times.

menacing. Doubt it.
Who gives a flying fig what you think. They are citizens of that community. You are upset about the muslim be there right. How dare they invite a member of the false religion to quote Jimmy Dobson right.