PDA

View Full Version : Mom stabs newborn 135 times

harloo
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Cops: Mom stabbed newborn 135 times
Police say Oakdale 17-year-old killed baby in panic after giving birth; she's charged with 1st-degree murder
BY ALEX FRIEDRICH and TAD VEZNER
Pioneer Press

Nicole Marie Beecroft is a Tartan High School senior who lists on her MySpace page a love of partying, listening to rap and shopping - with hopes of graduating this year and getting a car.

But she became a mother on Monday. And prosecutors say that, in a fit of panic, she killed her newborn baby girl by stabbing her over and over - 135 times.

Beecroft, a 17-year-old from Oakdale who goes by "Nikki," was charged Thursday with first-degree murder in the death of the baby, which prosecutors say she dumped in the garbage can outside her Hinton Trail North house after killing her.

If convicted, she could spend the rest of her life in prison. Bail was scheduled to be set at a hearing today.

"She has basically destroyed two lives - the baby's and hers," Washington County Attorney Doug Johnson said.

Johnson said authorities have questioned the baby's father. But he said he didn't know whether the father was aware of the baby, or what relationship the father still has with Beecroft.

Tartan senior Kyle Merth, who described himself as a friend of Beecroft's, said the school's halls were filled with a stunned silence Thursday, instead of the usual student chatter.

"A lot of people really didn't know what to say. 'I can't believe it' - I probably heard that 10 times," Merth said.

Merth described Beecroft as laid back and friendly. "I didn't really believe she would do something like that," Merth said. "You never would have guessed." According to a criminal complaint, St. Paul police received an anonymous tip that Beecroft had given birth to a stillborn baby and thrown it in the garbage at home. A manager at the Cub Foods in the Sun Ray Plaza in St. Paul, where Beecroft worked as a cashier, told police Tuesday that Beecroft had called in sick for the past two days.

Police found a bag of adult diapers in the teen's room. Her mother told police Beecroft was using them because she had lost a lot of blood during her menstrual period.

In a bathroom garbage pail, police found a sanitary napkin or diaper balled up and saturated with blood.
Beecroft told investigators that, while going to the bathroom at 3 a.m. Monday, something "did not feel right." She delivered the baby - reportedly, no one else was in the room - on a towel in the nearby laundry room.
The baby girl was stillborn, Beecroft told officers.

The teen told officers she lay on the towel with the infant for about 10 to 20 minutes before dumping the child in a garbage can next to the house. Investigators on Wednesday found the baby's body in a garbage bag, along with a black-handled knife and some towels.

A Ramsey County medical examiner said the girl had been born alive but had been stabbed 135 times.

When officers confronted Beecroft with the autopsy findings, the complaint states, she admitted she was in a "panic state" and had stabbed the infant. She also told officers that after giving birth, she had seen her baby daughter's finger move.

County Attorney Johnson expressed regret that Beecroft had not taken advantage of a Minnesota law that could have helped her deal with her motherhood.

Called the Safe Place program, it allows a mother to leave an unharmed newborn up to three days old at any hospital in the state anonymously and without fear of prosecution. "She could have walked away," he said.
Relatives at Beecroft's house refused to comment.

Neighbors - who would not give their names - said they stay away from the family and hardly ever interacted with Beecroft. They described her as a bit of a loner who rarely if ever waves to others on the street.
The neighbors described the house as a scene of constant traffic. The family always seemed to have a handful of cars in the driveway, they said, and people often come and go at night, screeching their tires and setting off car alarms.

One man living nearby described Beecroft as a "typical lost teenager." She was a large, heavyset girl, neighbors said, and probably could have hidden a pregnancy without anyone else noticing.

The most recent posting on Beecroft's MySpace page, which appeared to have been posted in February or March, reads:
"I have a boyfriend and I love him very dearly ... i have been with him for about 1 year and 4 months ... i will -- up any bitch that tries messing with him!"
Additionally, the "heroes" category of Beecroft's MySpace page reads: "My hero is my mommy she brought me into this world and if I didn't respect that she would take me right out of this world!"
John Bezek, Tartan High School principal, called the alleged crime "just tragic and unfortunate. Not a lot of words for it."
He said police warned school officials Wednesday of the incident, and officials were sure enough counselors were available to handle the needs of the school's 1,900 students.

Bezek said that, to his knowledge, none of his staff was aware Beecroft was pregnant. She is being held in a Washington County juvenile detention center. Alex Friedrich can be reached at afriedrich@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-2109.

:sad:

~Eclipsed~
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
:eek: How come there are so many senseless murders today. Today is a very bad day.:sad:

.Andrew.
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:26 AM
:eek: How come there are so many senseless murders today. Today is a very bad day.:sad:

Just a completely bad day :sad:

venus_rulez
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I can't believe this. What is wrong with people?

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
OMG!! What the hell is wrong with people. This is just sick!

Lefty.
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Oh my god. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Cage
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:43 AM
:eek: :sad: Thats so sad people are so sick and i hate it

RJWCapriati
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM
What a crazy bitch

LindsayRulz
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
:eek: :sad:

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM
OMFG. I just can't wait to wake up tomorrow. If I do :scared:

Wigglytuff
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:15 AM
how sick. what a day.

stevos
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Wow, now I'm really sick to my stomach.
This is horrible.

Rocketta
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:41 AM
ewwww, people are just whacko! :fiery:

rockstar
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
bitch :o

Erika_Angel
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Terribly sad story, for both the child and the mother who obviously felt she had no other choice. She will regret the decision for her life now.

For all those interested: This didn't happen today. It occurred over 5 days ago. I remember reading about it a few days back.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:00 AM
this really is TERRIBLE news :awww: What a sad day

"Sluggy"
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM
what a bummer.

Il Primo!
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Omg!

Monica_Rules
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM
OMG, thats horrible

alfonsojose
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Baby beef :scared:

Kart
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Very sad.

Yasmine
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
awful.

I can't imagine the people who actually had to count the 135 places where that baby had been stabbed :o

Craigy
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
135 times? :speakles:

mc8114
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
that's inhuman

samsung101
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'm sure she will get some post-partum depression
defense team lined up fast.

NOW will be on her side.
Rosie will speak on her behalf.
The media will make her the victim, not the baby.
Poor girl, probably a minority, little schooling, the society held
her down, she didn't know what to do...let her off free w/probation.

Lulu.
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thats just crazy :scared:

canoe.
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM

NOW will be on her side.

Not with a name like:Nicole Marie Beecroft.

venus_rulez
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM

NOW will be on her side.

You know in all the "repeal the 2nd amendment" threads you talk about how this is such a knee jerk response to have everytime a shooting occurs. However, everytime a story or issue comes up your knee jerk response is to blame the media (which is really your "covert" way of blaming liberals for everything) or you blame this democratic politician or party. Just like focusing on access to guns doesn't get at the entire social situation of violence, neither does your knee jerk reaction to blame certain people for everything get at the larger social world that we live in. Just some food for thought.

roarke
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Oh my God! What will happen to the world in 20 years? We have spawned a generation of monsters! The poor baby has paid an unfortunate price!

Cilla
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Disgusting :sad:

LoveFifteen
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Oh my God! What will happen to the world in 20 years? We have spawned a generation of monsters! The poor baby has paid an unfortunate price!

This reaction is completely irrational and foolish. Please educate yourself.

ce
Apr 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
selfish bitch:sad:

roarke
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
This reaction is completely irrational and foolish. Please educate yourself.

I was going to respond to you with an eloquent well put together defense of my statement but I consider you not to be worth it for several reasons:

1. You probable haven't had time to do much in your life except lie on you back and pretend there are no concequences to your actions.

2. You haven't read a news article, a book, the news paper or joined in an intellectual discussion so it is easy for your only response to be what it is. It required no thought.

3. Your parents probably told you everytime you did something wrong it wasn't your fault, it is the society's fault, or it is the fault of the television that you watch so diligently or the internet where you spend most of your time or the video games that you play. They probably have never had a conversation with you about personal responsiblity. Any hint of personal responsiblity sends you to the medicine cabinet for the drugs to soothe you.

4. Nobody ever taught you about social responsiblity.

RenaSlam.
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
What a fucked up world we live in.

LoveFifteen
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I was going to respond to you with an eloquent well put together defense of my statement but I consider you not to be worth it for several reasons:

1. You probable haven't had time to do much in your life except lie on you back and pretend there are no concequences to your actions.

2. You haven't read a news article, a book, the news paper or joined in an intellectual discussion so it is easy for your only response to be what it is. It required no thought.

3. Your parents probably told you everytime you did something wrong it wasn't your fault, it is the society's fault, or it is the fault of the television that you watch so diligently or the internet where you spend most of your time or the video games that you play. They probably have never had a conversation with you about personal responsiblity. Any hint of personal responsiblity sends you to the medicine cabinet for the drugs to soothe you.

4. Nobody ever taught you about social responsiblity.

This response is so pathetic that it made me laugh out loud. You are ignorant, and you're reacting to this news story with nothing but your irrational emotions. What this girl has done is vile and disgusting, but it's hardly proof that "we have spawned a generation of monsters".

Teacher, educate thyself! The history of humanity is littered with an innumerable amount of heinous atrocities. You're reading this article and asking yourself "what will happen to this world in 20 years?" Are you kidding me? Cruel, barbaric infanticides have been taking place for as long as humans have walked the planet. Your response betrays your profound ignorance of history and embarrassingly sanitized worldview.

Now it's off to my huge cabinet of drugs where I'll pop some pills so that I no longer have to feel responsible for this post. :tape:

Marshmallow
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Sounds like a crime of passion. This crazed girl probably saw the baby as a manifestation of her troubles, and in her rage - let go completely.

It's a tragic situation. A distrubing one. What more can you say?

Fingon
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
this is one of the cases where I support the death penalty.

And I really give a shit if she suffers or not.

meyerpl
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb, guess that the girl has some serious problems and that this act was a manifestation of her problems rather than a reflection of "the world we live in".

meyerpl
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Hell yeah! Because, um, er.......killing is wrong!:mad:

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:51 AM

:lol: :worship:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Don Imus's fault.... man his media does have an impact in our youth...

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb, guess that the girl has some serious problems and that this act was a manifestation of her problems rather than a reflection of "the world we live in".

Hmm... i can see your point, and definitely this girl is an extreme case, not representative of any society.

But i'm just thinking out loud, the trigger was the unwanted, unplanned child, probably the result of some regrettable sexual encounter.

So a rare violent act, but the trigger a common occurrence.

On a social level, i do think mental health is not taken seriously enough, is underfunded and under-advertised. But maybe that's a whole other story.

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Don Imus's fault.... man his media does have an impact in our youth...

:o ... :o ... :rolleyes: ... :o

iPatty
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:01 AM
135 times? :speakles:

Fingon
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM

I prefer to call it cleaning.

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:06 AM

I don't have much sympathy for the girl really, but this is a tragic story. This girl was and maybe in general is not of sound mind. She is probably suffering greatly anyway if she is not mentally stable, and if she is of sound mind at any point in the future, i can't begin how terrible she'll feel about what she's done, least of all the negative views the public and those close to her will have.

I think for those who want justice for that baby through the suffering of the girl, i don't think you'll have to hold your breathe / bring out voodoo dolls. She will suffer regardless, for a LONG time.

switz
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM
the only slightly consoling thought for me is that the poor baby's last few moments of agony probably saved it from what would have been a horrible life anyway.

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Regardeless of our position on the death penalty, I think putting the woman to death is far too extreme. I prefer to leave such punnishment in cases of cold pre-meditated murders. The woman was also most likely suffering from post-natal depression. What she's done is horrible, but I don't think it is up there with some of the worst things people can do.

Fingon
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I don't have much sympathy for the girl really, but this is a tragic story. This girl was and maybe in general is not of sound mind. She is probably suffering greatly anyway if she is not mentally stable, and if she is of sound mind at any point in the future, i can't begin how terrible she'll feel about what she's done, least of all the negative views the public and those close to her will have.

I think for those who want justice for that baby through the suffering of the girl, i don't think you'll have to hold your breathe / bring out voodoo dolls. She will suffer regardless, for a LONG time.

I know, but in most if not all horrendous crimes you can argue that the killer had problems, whether it's a sad childhood, being bullied, jealous, scared or whatever.

Unfortunately, psychiatry cannot spot those behaviours, this kind of things are impossible to prevent, these people are deeply disturbed, for whatever reason. Maybe I am a bit emotional wanting her dead but I think she has zero chance of rehabilitation, nor she has the right to it. I would feel some justice is made, although of course it won't bring the baby's life back, but what else can you do with someone like her (I really have difficulty considering her a human being).

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I can see your point, and respect that opinion. I just don't believe in capital punishment or giving up on people completely in that way. I'm not even trying to make excuses for horrible grizzle crimes ranging from murder to poor fashion sense, but people aren't born bad, and maladaptive thought patterns can be turned around (etc etc). She has to take responsibility, and punished for sure - but also helped and rehabilitated. At 17, she's not beyond help.

Wiggly
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM
135 times? Crazy.

Fingon
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM
One thing I could never understand or even gasp is how people can harm a baby, but your own baby? 135 times? then dump the body on the garbage?

She surely had options, adoption, leaving the baby on a doorway or a church, she obviously wasn't thinking but also, she obviously wasn't feeling.

I am not a psychiatrist but that sound a lot like a psychopath, someobody that can't distinguish between good and wrong with absolutely no moral constrains.

There are a lot of teenagers with problems, a lot of teenagers that have unwanted babies but they don't stab them 135 times and dump the body in the garbage. No justification, none whatsoever.

I certainly wouldn't want someone like her in my neighbourhood, or near me, or working with me, or serving me dinner in a restaurant.

If at least they could guarantee she will be locked for life, but they can't, Lawyers will argue she is insane, she can go out on parole. I think she took an irreversible step, nothing she can do or say will change what it is or what she is.

Fingon
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I can see your point, and respect that opinion. I just don't believe in capital punishment or giving up on people completely in that way. I'm not even trying to make excuses for horrible grizzle crimes ranging from murder to poor fashion sense, but people aren't born bad, and maladaptive thought patterns can be turned around (etc etc). She has to take responsibility, and punished for sure - but also helped and rehabilitated. At 17, she's not beyond help.

I respect your opinion also and understand it, but here I think we have to agree to disagree. I think she is way beyond help and doesn't deserve it.

meyerpl
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Maybe I am a bit emotional wanting her dead but I think she has zero chance of rehabilitation, nor she has the right to it. I would feel some justice is made, although of course it won't bring the baby's life back, but what else can you do with someone like her (I really have difficulty considering her a human being).
:lol: I really have difficulty considering myself middle-aged too, but guess what?

Here's the bottom line: The criminal justice system, any criminal justice system, is imperfect. Sometimes, innocent people are prosecuted, convicted, sentenced and have their sentences executed. A death sentence, once executed, cannot be vacated. So, what is an acceptable number of people to be put to death in the U.S. in a ten-year span? Fifty? Twenty? Five? My number is zero.

meyerpl
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I hate to say it but there are some people who, at age 17, are beyond help. That said, I don't advocate the death penalty.

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:36 AM
i think punnishment should reflect the level of individual and moral responsibility. For me those who kill with cold blood and with premeditation, those who know right from wrong but still do wrong are far more "evil" (just to put it this way) than this woman. It's clear that she wasn't thinking when she did this, and that doesn't mean that she's incapable of thinking and feeling. She should be hardly punnished, but if we are going to setence her for death, then there are also many, many more deserving murderers.

"Sluggy"
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM
how dreadful

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM

wtf?? you say something stupid, ignorant and completely wrong (cases of mothers viciously murdering their newborns go back to the days of Sparta and prior). so you act like the retard you are and get called on it and then decide to say that someone else doesnt read??? you are as nuts as i have always thought.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I hate to say it but there are some people who, at age 17, are beyond help. That said, I don't advocate the death penalty.

exactly.

Jogi
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
OMG...
our world is so fucked up, just shocking and sad

Shuji Shuriken
Apr 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM
unspeakable...there are just no words :eek: :sobbing:

Julian
Apr 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Its unbelieveable what people can do..

i actually read a similar story about this before. i just dont understand why its so hard for someone to just try and reach out for help!

Slumpsova
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
:tape: