PDA

View Full Version : Protestors in India Burn Gere Effigies

Infiniti2001
Apr 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM
NEW DELHI - Angry crowds in several Indian cities burned effigies of Richard Gere on Monday after he swept a popular Bollywood actress into his arms and kissed her several times during an AIDS-awareness event.

Photographs of the 57-year-old actor embracing Shilpa Shetty and kissing her on the cheek at an HIV/AIDS awareness event in New Delhi were splashed across Monday's front pages in India _ a country where sex and public displays of affection are largely taboo.

In Mumbai, members of the right-wing Hindu nationalist group Shiv Sena beat burning effigies of Gere with sticks and set fire to glamorous shots of Shetty.

Similar protests broke out in other cities, including Varanasi, Hinduism's holiest city, and in the northern town of Meerut, where crowds chanted "Down with Shilpa Shetty!"

The two appeared at a press conference in New Delhi on Sunday to highlight the HIV/AIDS epidemic among India's truck drivers. In front of a cheering crowd, Gere kissed the giggling Shetty on the hand, then kissed her on both cheeks before bending her in a full embrace to kiss her cheek again.

"This is a bit too much," Shetty said after the embrace.

On Monday, Shetty tried to stamp out the controversy.

"I understand this is his culture, not ours. But this was not such a big thing or so obscene for people to overreact in such manner," she told the Press Trust of India news agency.

"I understand people's sentiments, but I don't want a foreigner to take bad memories from here," PTI quoted her as saying.

The spokesman for Hindu nationalist party Bharatiya Janata Party condemned the kiss.

"Such a public display is not part of Indian tradition," said Prakash Javadekar, according to PTI.

Shetty, already well-known in India, became an international star after her appearance on the British reality show "Celebrity Big Brother" _ another controversial public appearance. A fellow contestant, Jade Goody, sparked international headlines by making allegedly racist comments to Shetty. Mobs took to the streets of India to denounce Goody, and Shetty went on to win the competition.

Gere's screen credits include "Chicago," "Pretty Woman" and "An Officer and a Gentleman."

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2007/04/16/637859.html

:help:

Lord Nelson
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry to say this but shilpa shetty is not that popular in India. She is not an A star actress although obviously her profile has raised because of Big brother.....Also all the parties are conservative so Congress party would also condemn such behavior.

ToeTag
Apr 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Those guys are such bitchy drama queens.

go hingis
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:49 AM
They should spend more time looking after themselves,their families & improving their country instead of all these stupid protests.

antonella
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:57 AM
At least they didn't burn any gerbils.

Veritas
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry to say this but shilpa shetty is not that popular in India. She is not an A star actress although obviously her profile has raised because of Big brother.....Also all the parties are conservative so Congress party would also condemn such behavior.

That's a shame because she's certainly beautiful and has a nice personality (for a celebrity).

Veritas
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM

They overreacted, but all the same, if public kissing isn't a part of their culture, then so be it.

Richard Gere should've been a little more sensitive to the culture of a nation he's visiting, instead of assuming everyone out there shares the white man's values.

Goai
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'd like to see what the effigies looked like :lol:

Infiniti2001
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42806000/jpg/_42806789_gere_afp203300.jpg

Shetty defends Richard Gere kiss
Actress Shilpa Shetty has defended Richard Gere after the Hollywood actor sparked protests by kissing her at an Aids awareness rally in New Delhi.

Public displays of affection are still largely taboo in India, and protestors in Mumbai (Bombay) set fire to effigies of Gere following the incident.

"What he did was very sweet. It was all in good humour," said Shetty.

"He especially told me to tell the media that he didn't want to hurt any Indian sensibilities."

Gere has now left India for Tibet, where he is an advocate for improving human rights.

'Taken aback'

Footage of the kiss was shown repeatedly on Indian TV, while Indian newspapers carried the picture on their front pages.

Shetty said the actor had "only tried to entertain the people".

"Shall We Dance was one of Richard's films and he struck this pose in the movie," the actress and Celebrity Big Brother contestant explained.

"I was unaware he was going to do it, so I was taken aback."

Shetty said Gere had apologised "profusely" to her, and added there was no need for the "adverse reaction" the embrace had provoked in some Indian cities.

"I am happy that this has happened because at least now people will talk about the issue of Aids and HIV," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6563425.stm

P.S. Shilpa may not be as popular as Aish, Kajol , Preity or Madhuri, but is she is very well known. She had a very promising career until she hooked up with Akshay Kumar :tape:

Monica_Rules
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Oh god get over it:rolleyes: Theres worse things in the world :o

chapel
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
They overreacted, but all the same, if public kissing isn't a part of their culture, then so be it.

Richard Gere should've been a little more sensitive to the culture of a nation he's visiting, instead of assuming everyone out there shares the white man's values.
touché

saw it in the news. it was so weird seeing an old guy getting fresh with a young woman.

V-MAC
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
and BB tricked us into thinking Shilpa was a "huge superstar" in India :mad:

saniafan2005
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
who cares..some organizations always make a issue of something like this in India just to be in limelight

Halardfan
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Gere acted like a bit of a jerk, but the reaction is obviously ridiculous.

I for one, still have a soft spot for Shetty.:drool: :)

Kart
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Indians are always burning something, this is nothing new.

I was tempted to burn a Richard Gere picture myself though that was more out of jealousy.

alfonsojose
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Gere :help:, it's "pretty granny", not pretty woman anymore :o

alfonsojose
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
More global warming. Such a waste of oxygen :p

samsung101
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm no particular fan of Richard Gere or his Dali Lama worshipping
sermons...what a bunch of dimwits overreacting to an actors
mistaken public sign of affection.

He meant no harm.
He was hamming it up.

He's apologized.

I don't know, hunger, famine, disease, war, floods, typhoons, the
caste system...aren't they things to get mad about, burn effigies,
and ask for change about. Not a bad actor from America with great
hair.

Obviously, he thought he was dealing with Ellen or Rosie or Oprah.

cellophane
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Gere :help:, it's "pretty granny", not pretty woman anymore :o

:lol:

roarke
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I was tempted to burn a Richard Gere picture myself though that was more out of jealousy.

Lol... I am at work cracking up over your post.

This cultural masquerade is so funny... ! For a country with a such a high birth rate you would think they would be comfortable with a little dramatic kissing. Of course they get to be indignant over public dramatic kidding around, there was no affection there, but they won't bat an eye if a 35 year old man marry a 10 year old girl. Of course if said girl was to refuse marriage said potential groom with the full backing of his culture could douse said girl with acid because his manhood was insulted. Of course no-one riots or burn effigies then just a little poor 10 year old girl left with the paid of a ruined face and body and the task of rebuilding her ruin life as best as she can. Of course too burn and riot the villages rather than send a poor girl to school... major no-no there! Said girl would be marrying and would become valuable to another family not their own so why educate them! Let her tend the goats and clean the house...that is her only value..

HippityHop
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Have they stopped burning wives on their husbands' funeral pyres? :tape:

dementieva's fan
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:39 AM

This cultural masquerade is so funny... ! For a country with a such a high birth rate you would think they would be comfortable with a little dramatic kissing. Of course they get to be indignant over public dramatic kidding around, there was no affection there, but they won't bat an eye if a 35 year old man marry a 10 year old girl. Of course if said girl was to refuse marriage said potential groom with the full backing of his culture could douse said girl with acid because his manhood was insulted. Of course no-one riots or burn effigies then just a little poor 10 year old girl left with the paid of a ruined face and body and the task of rebuilding her ruin life as best as she can. Of course too burn and riot the villages rather than send a poor girl to school... major no-no there! Said girl would be marrying and would become valuable to another family not their own so why educate them! Let her tend the goats and clean the house...that is her only value..
The irony in this post is absolutely preposterous, you are one of the people who have by crying racism in a few threads, making a big deal out of everything. Acting holier than thou in one thread and actually showing your true colours in another :rolleyes: This post is more racist, based on stereotypes, factual inaccuracies and stinking of superiority complex than anything posted by those you and your friends accuse of being racists. Had this same post been in the context of the Don Imus thread referring to how Black women are treated, you and half of your friends on this forum would have been up in arms about racism. The hypocrisy that is evident on so many levels never ceases to amaze:rolleyes:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM
If Gere's reputation is the risk for Indians to stop spreading Aids and start behaving like the greatly intelligent civilization that THEY ARE, then so be it... but it's gotta stop because then Paris Hilton is gonna come to Rally against Global Warming

smiler
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:01 AM
:shrug: They burn so many effigies in India that it doesn't mean anything anymore.

piercerocks
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:39 AM
its just a kiss! get over yourselves!!!

go hingis
Apr 18th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Did anybody else in Australia watch channel Seven news last night.

They showed the kiss and the burning of Effigies and then played 1 second of Shilpa's interview "I was Shell Shocked" and stopped it right there making us all think that she was Shell Shocked over what Richard Did. I was a little angry at channel seven cutting this interview to make it apply something totally different to what Shilpa said. This is what Shilpa said: "I really don't know from where to begin, I am shell shocked with
the reaction and honestly you guys are the media, you are the voice of the
nation, you all have to act responsibly. We went there for a cause, we went
there to spread the AIDS awareness. Richard doesn't belong to our country and he is so passionate about the cause. He has directed all, you know most of the money from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation to spread the awareness in our country because he is passionate about it and you all have made such a media ruckus. People are overreacting because you have been showing the clippings again, again and again. The point, the real issue is that we went there to address the truckers against you know, against this whole
stigma."

Brashkoala
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM
i'm trying to be as culturally relativistic as possible, but i really think the hindus are overacting. gere was simply trying to be gracious and thankful. he all to well knows the hindu customs but was probably not even thinking about it when he did it. he kisses and hugs tons of women at events in the us and all over the world. i'm even more surprised though at how badly the actress is being treated by her fellow hindus. i mean how is it her fault that she got hugged and kissed by gere? they need to cut her some slack and relax. stop overeacting.

jellybelly
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe burning effigies is too much but Richard Gere behaved very rudely in public. It was not just a simple kiss on the cheek, he did it over and over and groped Shilpa suggestively. He is old enough to be her father, he should have some respect and we like to display modesty in public in India and this type of behaviour is very unchaste. It was bad enough that he was screaming 'SEx' in broken hindi to the crowds. Really makes him look classless.

Ellery
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I know, Gere is like old enough to be her father :help:

roarke
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
The irony in this post is absolutely preposterous, you are one of the people who have by crying racism in a few threads, making a big deal out of everything. Acting holier than thou in one thread and actually showing your true colours in another :rolleyes: This post is more racist, based on stereotypes, factual inaccuracies and stinking of superiority complex than anything posted by those you and your friends accuse of being racists. Had this same post been in the context of the Don Imus thread referring to how Black women are treated, you and half of your friends on this forum would have been up in arms about racism. The hypocrisy that is evident on so many levels never ceases to amaze:rolleyes:

There was nothing racist and stereotypical in my post. Don't project your insecurities on to me. The stories that I repeated are quite factual. Log on to PBS and you will see the many documentaries on such topics. In a nutshell there are bigger concerns that require the public's anger than a couple of fake kisses.

Denise4925
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm no particular fan of Richard Gere or his Dali Lama worshipping
sermons...what a bunch of dimwits overreacting to an actors
mistaken public sign of affection.

He meant no harm.
He was hamming it up.

He's apologized.

I don't know, hunger, famine, disease, war, floods, typhoons, the
caste system...aren't they things to get mad about, burn effigies,
and ask for change about. Not a bad actor from America with great
hair.

Obviously, he thought he was dealing with Ellen or Rosie or Oprah.

I seldom agree with anything samsung says, but this is spot on. :worship: Good lord, get your priorities straight. :rolleyes: You'd have thought he stabbed her instead of kissed her on the cheek.

roarke
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/shows/school2/

Lord Nelson
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
If Gere's reputation is the risk for Indians to stop spreading Aids and start behaving like the greatly intelligent civilization that THEY ARE, then so be it... but it's gotta stop because then Paris Hilton is gonna come to Rally against Global Warming

I agree with you and besides there are more deadly diseases in India than AIDS but AIDS seems to be the only disease that actors are interesting in campaigning against.

Apoorv
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
It just shows how media can make a hill out of a mole. 10 people do something stupid and here people start thinking whole of India is making a fuss about this Gere issue. So many news are coming out of India daily but I am afraid only bad ones make it to the western world. I dont care how people think about our country but its not as bad as media makes it look.

For the people who are crying out loud about the social issues of caste etc. and that old man marrying a girl. Let me tell you, these issues are discussed daily in every place here. So much work is being done and so many awareness programs are initiated but the media wont bring them to the front since those things dont sell in the market. When a country makes a turn from poverty to development, turmoil takes place. once a segment will go up and then other part of the population follows the suit. In the mean time when there is this class division of society and crime etc. may increase.

Some news comes up that some families sell there kids cheaper than buffalows and the whole forum acts as if Indians sell their kids. Those are very poor people mostly from tribal areas who can not take care of their kids. they sell them in a hope that the kid will at least survive. its not easy for parents to separate themselves from your most precious thing. There are many organizations who take care of such kids who are freed from these "traders". Its not easy to control everything in a country with such a large population.

Moreover buring effigies is a very common way of protest in India, its not a big deal here. no one gives a damn except those who are in their vehicles at that time and their way is blocked.

Denise4925
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
It just shows how media can make a hill out of a mole. 10 people do something stupid and here people start thinking whole of India is making a fuss about this Gere issue. So many news are coming out of India daily but I am afraid only bad ones make it to the western world. I dont care how people think about our country but its not as bad as media makes it look.

For the people who are crying out loud about the social issues of caste etc. and that old man marrying a girl. Let me tell you, these issues are discussed daily in every place here. So much work is being done and so many awareness programs are initiated but the media wont bring them to the front since those things dont sell in the market. When a country makes a turn from poverty to development, turmoil takes place. once a segment will go up and then other part of the population follows the suit. In the mean time when there is this class division of society and crime etc. may increase.

Some news comes up that some families sell there kids cheaper than buffalows and the whole forum acts as if Indians sell their kids. Those are very poor people mostly from tribal areas who can not take care of their kids. they sell them in a hope that the kid will at least survive. its not easy for parents to separate themselves from your most precious thing. There are many organizations who take care of such kids who are freed from these "traders". Its not easy to control everything in a country with such a large population.

Moreover buring effigies is a very common way of protest in India, its not a big deal here. no one gives a damn except those who are in their vehicles at that time and their way is blocked.

Well, I for one appreciate the information from someone who lives there and can inform the rest of us. You're right, we only get part of the story and nothing else. So, thanks for opening up our eyes to the real deal.

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Fantastic post, i'm so glad you posted a different perspective, that of someone on the inside.

Shows a little big out how propaganda and sensationalism actually works, even if ona small scale. All sorts of negative generalisations and stereotypes about the indian community were mentioned, based on what.

:worship:

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Great post. Saved me the trouble from arguing with all of those nutcases who were stereotyping 1+ billion people from the actions of probably tens of people. Some Indians take their culture too seriously probably, but that doesn't mean that the whole country is dumb and is only concerned with Richard Gere. It's this mentality in the West regarding other cultures that I hate. Individual actions are not seen within their individual context, and ofcourse this all stems from a belief that other people are intrinsically different than they are.

And isn't it ironic that Lord Nelson, an Indian, agrees with this ridiculous stereotyping post:
"
"

Nothing surpring though.

Kart
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
And isn't it ironic that Lord Nelson, an Indian, agrees with this ridiculous stereotyping post:
"
"

I'm afraid that I, as another Indian, have to (partly) agree with it as well.

HIV is real in India - we need to start facing up to it and tackling it.

Yet instead the media's focusing on a few burning pictures of some actor that's the majority of Indians have probably never heard of and never will again.

It upsets me really.

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm afraid that I, as another Indian, have to (partly) agree with it as well.

HIV is real in India - we need to start facing up to it and tackling it.

Yet instead the media's focusing on a few burning pictures of some actor that's the majority of Indians have probably never heard of and never will again.

It upsets me really.

Well, there are things that go wrong in every society, and I agree they should be criticized. I just don't like the attitude when people objectify a whole culture and start speaking in terms like 'Indians should behave like the smart civilization they are' (and I don't think Indians need certificates of intelligence from people on this board), especially that this whole discussion was triggered by the actions of a few people.

Denise4925
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Great post. Saved me the trouble from arguing with all of those nutcases who were stereotyping 1+ billion people from the actions of probably tens of people. Some Indians take their culture too seriously probably, but that doesn't mean that the whole country is dumb and is only concerned with Richard Gere. It's this mentality in the West regarding other cultures that I hate. Individual actions are not seen within their individual context, and ofcourse this all stems from a belief that other people are intrinsically different than they are. "

I don't think that's fair. We only know what is reported, we don't live there, and the way the article is written is that it was hundreds if not thousands of people were burning effigies. We don't know that it's a common form of protesting. Also, it's not just the West who has a mentality that what they see on TV or read reports on is how it is across the board. People from other countries have the same view of the West.

Even though communications have advanced rapidly since the Pony Express, we only know what is reported and if that report is skewed, then we have a skewed view until someone comes along and gives broader view and a realistic report.

It's just as unfair to attack the West as it was for some of us on here from the West and other countries to attack the people of India.

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think that's fair. We only know what is reported, we don't live there, and the way the article is written is that it was hundreds if not thousands of people were burning effigies. We don't know that it's a common form of protesting. Also, it's not just the West who has a mentality that what they see on TV or read reports on is how it is across the board. People from other countries have the same view of the West.

Even though communications have advanced rapidly since the Pony Express, we only know what is reported and if that report is skewed, then we have a skewed view until someone comes along and gives broader view and a realistic report.

It's just as unfair to attack the West as it was for some of us on here from the West and other countries to attack the people of India.

1) I completely agree with you that this attitude isn't exclusive to the West. I've seen it elsewhere including in my home country, where people look at other cultures and define them as "others", people who are intrinsically different from them and start objectifying them and talking about them as if they are some kind of an abstract concept. I do think that it's more rampant in the West because it's easier to have that kind of attitude when you're the most successful.

2) I don't think it has to do as much about what info you receive but more about it how you interpret it. I personally read that report, and I thought, ok there are some Indians who take their culture a little too seriously. That's where my interpretation stopped. :shrug: I didn't start making stereotypes about Indian culture and how it's retarded and how Indians in general don't care about anything else except kissing. (I'm not saying you did that, cause I didn't read your post). I mean we're talking about 1+ billion people. But I think also how the media reports stuff makes it easier for people to assume things and generalize about a whole culture or people.

mirzalover
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I dont Know who said Shilpa wasnt that Big but obviously they dont know what there talking about cause I visited my great grand mother recently for two week and she pretty big I mean dont get me wrong she is no Aishwarya Rai but she is very well known

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 05:22 AM
And isn't it ironic that Lord Nelson, an Indian, agrees with this ridiculous stereotyping post.

I was joking... it seems it went terrible with you anyways...

First of all.. India has more honor students, and than we have students here in America, and the future for India to me it looks brilliant with the generation that will be coming in.

The whole Richard Gere thing... I just think it is funny...

When 9-11 happened... they showed on the TV a video of Palestinians celebrating and burning American flags... Americans did drew anger against them, and I think the video was recorded like two years before 9-11 happened.. CNN lies when it says it is the most trusted name in news for me.. :lol: That goes to retarded Fox News as well...

MistyGrey
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM
It was just a kiss, and that too on the cheek! they need to get over it!
And I dont think its a small thing... the news is all over the place, and Shiv Sena planning bigger protests, so I dont think its just 10-15 people protesting. Shi
Maybe they should burn Aishwarya's effigies for marriying - not just a tree, but a number of trees! :tape::lol:

MistyGrey
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/apr/17shilpa.htm

Two complaints were filed in separate courts in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh against Shilpa Shetty and Richard Gere accusing them of indulging in an 'obscene act' during an AIDS awareness programme held in Delhi.

Taking cognizance of the first complaint, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Jaipur, Dinesh Chandra Gupta asked the news channel NDTV to produce the original video recording of the incident by April 25.

In the complaint, advocate Poonal Chandra Bhandari has accused the duo of committing 'an obscene act' in a public place under Section 294 of the IPC.

The second complaint was filed in a Ghaziabad court by two lawyers against Shetty and several TV channels, which showed the video footage of the kissing incident, accusing them of indecent representation of women.

Chief Judicial Magistrate Reena Chaudhry will hear the matter on April 18.

Referring to the 'kissing act,' the complainants' lawyer Ramautar Gupta said, "It is all indecency and nudity, which our society cannot tolerate."

Apoorv
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
When I say 10 people, I meant the propotion of population protesting is negligible to the total. Shiv Sena is a party who has a habit of raising stupid issues. They act like fanatics to separate themselves from other parties. Moreover they are an entity in a single state. They dont have an national reach. There are such organizations in each country who try to steal the lime light in many issues by hook or by crook. Issues they raise may be different depending on the society to which they belong. In India, kissing in public is not very common and I must admit not acceptable in public. This was a ripe issue which fanatics could use for their advantage and portray themselves as the saviour of culture and thats exactly what they did. This issue will die down withing a week. No one has the time to care about such a drama. About those court cases, I wouldnt be surprised if the people who have registered cases are from some political establishment. Someone said right, India has bigger diseases to take care other than AIDS and they are the politicians.

I must admit such things are not doing good for India's image internationally, but these are only a part of events happening here.

Lord Nelson
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Great post. Saved me the trouble from arguing with all of those nutcases who were stereotyping 1+ billion people from the actions of probably tens of people. Some Indians take their culture too seriously probably, but that doesn't mean that the whole country is dumb and is only concerned with Richard Gere. It's this mentality in the West regarding other cultures that I hate. Individual actions are not seen within their individual context, and ofcourse this all stems from a belief that other people are intrinsically different than they are.

"
"

Nothing surpring though.
So you were lying when you said that I was on your ignore list which you said that I would be on because you falsily thought that the clip that I sent you was bad mouthing Arabs when all it did was explain the history of the al sauds. I had a feeling that you were lying. Anyway learn to be wiser pal......Also what do you care what I think? I had just skimmed at what Duiz had said. He was clumbsy at how he said what he wanted to say but in general I agreed at what he was trying to say. In addition, I am somewhat of an nationalist and so I am proud to be Indian don't worry.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
hSo you were lying when you said that I was on your ignore list which you said that I would be on because you falsily thought that the clip that I sent you was bad mouthing Arabs when all it did was explain the history of the al sauds. I had a feeling that you were lying. Anyway learn to be wiser pal......Also what do you care what I think? I had just skimmed at what Duiz had said. He was clumbsy at how he said what he wanted to say but in general I agreed at what he was trying to say. In addition, I am somewhat of an nationalist and so I am proud to be Indian don't worry.

:lol: I can click on "view post" when you're on my ignore list, you idiot. I do that sometimes, I admit that. I can never get your pms, and that's the good thing about the ignore thing. :) Oh and I didn't put you on ignore because "bad mouthing" whatever. I didn't even think about what that video contains. I put you on my ignore list because you were annoying me with your constant pms and because you're stupid. "Take it like a man", Lord Nelson.

Lord Nelson
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
h

:lol: I can click on "view post" when you're on my ignore list, you idiot. I do that sometimes, I admit that. I can never get your pms, and that's the good thing about the ignore thing. :) Oh and I didn't put you on ignore because "bad mouthing" whatever. I didn't even think about what that video contains. I put you on my ignore list because you were annoying me with your constant pms and because you're stupid. "Take it like a man", Lord Nelson.
How do you know I sent you many pms if I am on your ignore list? If I am on your ignore list you can't tell if I sent you ms or not and when you put me on your ignore list I had only send you 1 pm. So are you going to give a 'view post' rubbish talk again? Man you are such a bad liar. :lol:
Glad to see you read my posts. See ya around. :wavey:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Also what do you care what I think? I had just skimmed at what Duiz had said. He was clumbsy at how he said what he wanted to say but in general I agreed at what he was trying to say.

Dah!!! Of course I was being clumsy... I was being sarcastic again...

Do you live in India?

meyerpl
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I opened this thread fully expecting to learn that, in addition to cows, gerbils are considered sacred by the Hindu population.

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I opened this thread fully expecting to learn that, in addition to cows, gerbils are considered sacred by the Hindu population.

No, but rats are and that's why you'll never ever hear of me going to India. :p

mykarma
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Oh god get over it:rolleyes: Theres worse things in the world :o
Everyone doesn't share the same value system that you have. People need to check themselves when they go to another country.

mykarma
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM
I was going to agree with your post but you lost all credibility when you continued to add you and your friends in your post. What the fvck does Don Imus and people that were against him have to do with who you were responding to. This post also shows your true colors. Now, I'll go back and find his post and respond. You're the pot calling the kettle black.

mykarma
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM

This post has to many things for me to respond to but it is really fvcked up and you should be ashame of yourself. :smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

mykarma
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:44 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

mykarma
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM

"
"

Nothing surpring though.
That's what upsets me. We from the West think everyone should live to our standards. It's really annoying.

austennis
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM

They should spend more time looking after themselves,their families & improving their country instead of all these stupid protests.

The Indians are doing what they see as right, What richard gere did was insensitive , unnesescary and incredidbly stupid !! for some1 who spends so much time in india he should know much better

skanky~skanketta
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM
oh well, i'd sleep with both of them.

Meesh
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
OK, I watched the clip of this kiss on The Soup last night.

He was really overboard in his hug and kisses. You could tell at one point she was pulling away. It was really odd. Richard Gere should of known better. He has been in that region many times before and should respect their culture.

oh and they did reference gerbils and rats in the show. :tape:

Rollo
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Posted by Apoleb Great post. Saved me the trouble from arguing with all of those nutcases who were stereotyping 1+ billion people from the actions of probably tens of people. Some Indians take their culture too seriously probably, but that doesn't mean that the whole country is dumb and is only concerned with Richard Gere. It's this mentality in the West regarding other cultures that I hate.

I agree with this 100% up to the last sentence. Why is it just "the West"?

Indians stereotype the West just as bad as the other way around. We could all try and be a little more understanding.

Apoleb
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM
I agree with this 100% up to the last sentence. Why is it just "the West"?

Indians stereotype the West just as bad as the other way around. We could all try and be a little more understanding.

I explained later that I didn't mean that only people in the West are capable of that attitude. ;) It's just that this is applicable to this thread. I agree with you. There are also tons of stupid stereotypes about the West in other cultures.