PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Racism

Marshmallow
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:57 AM
A Marshmallow perspective! :drool:

1. Duke Case; Good speech by Reade Seligmann

While some people have chosen now turned to seeking the blood of the accuser in an eye for eye style move, i was very impressed to watch this video-segment showing the speech given by Reade Seligmann, one of the accused.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/law/2007/04/11/duke.lacrosse.presser.seligmann.cnn&wm=11

He could have easily chosen to attack the accuser (like some people we are aware of around here), but instead unlike them, chose to show class, maturity and diplomacy. He addresses the bigger picture, the wider implications of what has happened, and actually the positives. If indeed innocent, i have nothing but props for this man/boy

I just thought it was a fanatstic speech and wanted to share it with those who may not have seen it.

Forever yours

Marshmallow ... :lol:

Marshmallow
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Lesson 2. Language, meaning and context

I wrote this as a response in another thread that was closed before I could post it. But basically, the word ‘Nappy headed hoe’ was being used casually and as a ‘joke’ – in part. My take on it:

The debate on whether Imus is at the core a racist or not is open. Many people would actually argue for the latter because he has his schemes that take in children of all races. The reason people are getting in an uproar about this is because he made racist comments, and to an extent sexist comments. A person can be at the core not a racist, but the uproar is a reflection of the general conviction that racist comments are not acceptable in any form!!! That has been the basis. Imus did not just make this ONE racist comment, he and some of his peers who were also subsequently FIRED have made a string of racist comments in the past too. Firing his hideous ass was not some over-reaction, but a point of having had enough, mostly.

Calling others single minded only makes you sound like a hypocrite.

Which brings me to your casual use of the phrase ‘Nappy headed Hoes’. I actually thought for a while you were a bright one, maybe there’s my ignorance. ‘Nappy headed hoe is made up of two phrases’. The most offensive part to people is the first. This word has its history, and has become as highly charged maybe as the N word itself. It’s a form of racial degradation by connotation! Just like the N word, no matter what context you use the word/phrase, it is offensive to people. It is intrinsically a racist term. Are you telling me that it’s fine to call even non black people the N word, even though it is such a highly charged one, that has no place is everyday use? Nappy headed maybe less charged, but is clearly as offensive.

Hence, tarded_dumb’s use of it, can be considered a racist comments. That does not automatically make either of you racists at the core, but it makes you incredible ignorant if you can first apply and then justify to yourselves the use of racist language – period. Now I have my fingers crossed that you can at least understand where I am coming from.

--

Some final points. I also found it sad that some of those using and defending racial slurs were gay. It just illustrates a short-sightedness on their part to discrimination and defamation. Had the issue been homophobia, I have no doubt that these people would be whaling and crying foul, yet when it doesn’t affect them, it’s just alright.

Also, someone ought to bitch-slap ‘Shaun Powell’ for writing the ‘It’s more than just Imus’ article. This black man, has actually successfully downplayed the racist comments which are the main focal point of the uproar and the firing, and focused on the sexism (which really was not taken serious as Imus was said to use this phrase on anyone, man, woman and child), and pointed the finger of blame at the black community, using some of the most racist statements!!! I have taken his point of view into account, and yes those in the rap industry who use vile language should be called on it. But how has he managed to overlook the racial element? The most explosive element? Rappers are not calling themselves and black women ‘Nappy headed’, that can’t be pinned on them too.