PDA

View Full Version : Racially Charged German Video Aired

Infiniti2001
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
By KIRSTEN GRIESHABER
AP
BERLIN (April 14) - A video showing a German army instructor telling one of his soldiers to envision African-Americans in the Bronx while firing his machine gun was broadcast Saturday on national television.

The video, coming after scandals involving photos of German soldiers posing with skulls in Afghanistan and the abuse of recruits by instructors, seemed likely to raise more questions about training practices in Germany's conscript army.

"We can no longer talk about an isolated case," said Lt. Juergen Rose of the Darmstaedter Signal, a group of current and former army officers and sergeants who independently review military procedures.

"Things like this don't happen in the army on an everyday basis, but unfortunately in recent years there have been a number of comparable incidents."

The Defense Ministry said the video was shot in July 2006 at barracks in the northern town of Rendsburg and that the army has been aware of it since January.

"We are currently investigating the incident," said Florian Naggies, a spokesman for the army and Defense Ministry.

He did not identify the instructor or the soldier, who are shown in camouflage uniforms in a forest.

The instructor tells the soldier, "You are in the Bronx. A black van is stopping in front of you. Three African-Americans are getting out and they are insulting your mother in the worst ways ... Act."

The soldier fires his machine gun several times and yells an obscenity several times in English. The instructor then tells the soldier to curse even louder.

The existence of the video was first reported on the home page of the German news magazine Stern on Friday and excerpts of the video were aired on the news television channel n-tv on Saturday.

According to Stern, the 90-second video had been posted on a Web site used by soldiers to exchange private videos. A soldier who used the site alerted his superiors, the magazine reported.

The video is the latest embarrassment for the German army. Eighteen army instructors are currently on trial for allegedly abusing and humiliating 163 recruits in 2004. Last year, newspapers published photos of German soldiers in Afghanistan posing with a skulls - including one who exposed himself while holding a skull.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/racially-charged-german-video-aired/20070414114109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

:o :help:

hablo
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
This is just one of the examples of how hatred and racism is still being perpetrated in the world.

A soldier who used the site alerted his superiors, the magazine reported.

I'm glad one sensible person reported this. :clap2:

HippityHop
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You can take the ___________ out of the _____________, but you can't take the _____________ out of the _______________. :tape:

No Name Face
Apr 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
this is why i love being black and german. :rolleyes:

RVD
Apr 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
this is why i love being black and german. :rolleyes::lol: You and me both. :rolleyes:
To make matters worse, my first and last name are German. And my Great-great-Grandfather immigrated from Germany to the states in 1845. I bet he's turning over in his grave about now. Still, this has got to be yet another ridiculously embarrassing incident for the Germans. *smh*

One of these days, Iím going to discover why people around the world fear my skin color so much. Then Iíll write a best seller, buy and island, and get the f*** away from humanityís ignorance for good.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM
It's not funny but for some reason I have in my mind Arnold Schwarzenegger saying what the the instructor is saying and I can't help but laugh.

Someone's been in the Bronx. What does he know about the black van? :tape:

I feel a bit awful for saying this but I don't trust Germany.
When I think of countries I hope become a superpower, Germany is low on that list.
Power and Germany just doesn't seem to work.

Houses and Germany do though.
After living in Germantown where the American Revolutionary battle of Germantown happened for so long, I must admit that the Germans know how to built some good houses.

So in conclusion, keep builting the houses and the cars but stop trying to kill us and for you very old Germans, stop trying to find tails on black people.

No Name Face
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM
:lol: You and me both. :rolleyes:
To make matters worse, my first and last name are German. And my Great-great-Grandfather immigrated from Germany to the states in 1845. I bet he's turning over in his grave about now. Still, this has got to be yet another ridiculously embarrassing incident for the Germans. *smh*

One of these days, Iím going to discover why people around the world fear my skin color so much. Then Iíll write a best seller, buy and island, and get the f*** away from humanityís ignorance for good.

we're probably related. :p

lizchris
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I am not suirprised, nor am I surprised by the slow response by the US to this atrocity. I don't execpt Geroge Bush to condemn this video, but one would expect Condeleezza Rice to do so, but I bet the President, or should I say "her man" probably told her not to say anything.

Apoleb
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:47 AM
:speakles:

I can only imagine the level of hatred from him to think of black pple as targets when he fires. It's the army though, one of the worst institutions people ever created.

dementieva's fan
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I am not suirprised, nor am I surprised by the slow response by the US to this atrocity. I don't execpt Geroge Bush to condemn this video, but one would expect Condeleezza Rice to do so, but I bet the President, or should I say "her man" probably told her not to say anything.

I'm no George Bush fan. But what do you expect him to do? There are thousands of such incidents, the presidential office should have better things to do than condemn everytime some idiot has a racist outburst. The germans are handling the situation I don't see how a failed US president sticking his foot in this situation would help the matters.

lizchris
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I'm no George Bush fan. But what do you expect him to do? There are thousands of such incidents, the presidential office should have better things to do than condemn everytime some idiot has a racist outburst. The germans are handling the situation I don't see how a failed US president sticking his foot in this situation would help the matters.

Condemn the video. It's niot as if he doesn't know it exists.

kiwifan
Apr 15th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I guess no one's in the mood for a contrary viewpoint on this subject? :devil:

one of my best friends is German and I spent almost a month there last summer and met a lot of great friendly people...

...who think that America is like the wild west with everyone running around shooting each other for fun and profit, so on some level this officer's command is more the equivilent (sp) of an American officer saying "pretend you're at the OK Corral in the middle of a gunfight with the bad guys" that it is a "hey we can motivate this guy to shoot by suggesting he shoot a black person" scenario.

Not buying that? Oh well, nevermind :bolt:

A Magicman
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I feel a bit awful for saying this but I don't trust Germany.
When I think of countries I hope become a superpower, Germany is low on that list.
Power and Germany just doesn't seem to work.

You're right on saying that when I take a look at my countrymen who, in surveys, consider America and Israel as the world's biggest threats to peace and not - for instance - Iran or Russia. This is the result of 30 years of leftist reeducation by hundreds of thousand of people like Michael Moore who became teachers and so on.

Nevertheless, there is no need to be afraid of a racist Germany, there is not more racism here than in other countries. And still - it's the army and not some chitterchatter-club. And we all know what kind of people go to the army. This case being brought up and the instructor being brought to justice, shows that everything works as it should. The instructor has already been suspended from duty.

Wigglytuff
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
:lol: You and me both. :rolleyes:

:hug: :hug: :smooch: :hug:

Sam L
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
You're right on saying that when I take a look at my countrymen who, in surveys, consider America and Israel as the world's biggest threats to peace and not - for instance - Iran or Russia. This is the result of 30 years of leftist reeducation by hundreds of thousand of people like Michael Moore who became teachers and so on.

That is just truly pathetic. But thanks for the information.

timafi
Apr 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
A soldier who used the site alerted his superiors, the magazine reported.

outrageous:mad: :mad: :mad:
glad we have decent people around to report shit like that;thank you sir:D

GrandSlam05
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
:speakles: I thought it was the turkish that they hated, not black people.

A Magicman
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
:speakles: I thought it was the turkish that they hated, not black people.

Talking about stereotypes....

kabuki
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Gosh. I thought everyone but the US was sooo post-racial.

Teaches me to believe what I read on a message board. :lol:

gentenaire
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Good thing you live in the US then, where racism is non-existant.

GoDominique
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Teaches me to believe what I read on a message board. :lol:
It also teaches you that you should try to comprehend what you read, because no one ever said such a thing. :)

The US seems to have the most issues, though.

As for this incident, the army is full of dumbasses so I'm not surprised. I don't really want to know what's going on behind closed doors there.

No Name Face
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Good thing you live in the US then, where racism is non-existant.

lmao. :rolls:

Rocketta
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM

one of my best friends is German and I spent almost a month there last summer and met a lot of great friendly people...

...who think that America is like the wild west with everyone running around shooting each other for fun and profit, so on some level this officer's command is more the equivilent (sp) of an American officer saying "pretend you're at the OK Corral in the middle of a gunfight with the bad guys" that it is a "hey we can motivate this guy to shoot by suggesting he shoot a black person" scenario.

Yeah, that's pushing it Kiwi considering the guy went out of his way make the assailants African-American. :lol:

Apoleb
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I think racism is alive and kicking in Europe as much as it is in the US, if not more. It's just that it doesn't surface as much (ofcurse it occasionely does, like in football matches) because there aren't many Black people in many European nations. The culprits are now mainly Arabs and Turks, and the racism is usually hidden under the banner that it's just Islam that is disliked, not the ethnicity.

Anyway, I just checked some poll results, and Le Pen is likely to get 15% of votes in the French elections. Few people will disagree that the Front National is straight out racist, yet somehow the fact that it's getting a sizeable support of the French population is not raising eyebrows and getting media attention. There's a video on the BBC website where an African-American woman was asked about her opinion on the video, and she said that it's sad, and that we like to think that problems are only within Shiites and Muslims, but there are still big issues within us. I had to :worship: at this.

Anyway, I know that this incident is far from being representative of the German population or even the German army, but this is a soldier that is training many others, and few seemed to object. I also find it hard to understand how someone could have so much hatred for people he probably rarely has come across. This is something that has been shot, so you just have to wonder at the things that go in the army.

njnetswill
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think Germans as a whole are very racist. My entire family is Chinese and when we went there, everyone was nothing but extremely nice. Germans seem to be very grounded, well-educated people.

My dad used to fly to Hamburg every couple of months for business. He's also been to Dresden, Frankfurt, Essen and Dusseldorf extensively.

Maybe it is different for blacks. :shrug:

I always figured European racism was more directed at Arabs and Jews, and that neo-nazi movements are strongest in places like Russia.

lizchris
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't think Germans as a whole are very racist. My entire family is Chinese and when we went there, everyone was nothing but extremely nice. Germans seem to be very grounded, well-educated people.

My dad used to fly to Hamburg every couple of months for business. He's also been to Dresden, Frankfurt, Essen and Dusseldorf extensively.

Maybe it is different for blacks. :shrug:

I always figured European racism was more directed at Arabs and Jews, and that neo-nazi movements are strongest in places like Russia.

It's alwasy different for blacks.

A Magicman
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I think racism is alive and kicking in Europe as much as it is in the US, if not more. It's just that it doesn't surface as much (ofcurse it occasionely does, like in football matches) because there aren't many Black people in many European nations. The culprits are now mainly Arabs and Turks, and the racism is usually hidden under the banner that it's just Islam that is disliked, not the ethnicity.

Anyway, I know that this incident is far from being representative of the German population or even the German army, but this is a soldier that is training many others, and few seemed to object. I also find it hard to understand how someone could have so much hatred for people he probably rarely has come across. This is something that has been shot, so you just have to wonder at the things that go in the army.

To talk about the widespread rejection of Turks in Germany and Arabs in France is too much of a topic to open it here, I think.

Look at the video again - the soldier seems to be laughing, when his instructors tells (politically even correct!) him to shoot at the Afro-Americans. As I do understand everything, I can almost swear, that this laughter arises, cos the soldier finds it completely dull to have that example mentioned after first firing some shots at an imaginary airplane which had been hijacked by terrorists.

ico4498
Apr 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
It also teaches you that you should try to comprehend what you read, because no one ever said such a thing.

no one credible, but the claim has certainly been made ...

as fer the video thingie, not really surprised or outraged. pretty much par for the course these days.

Apoleb
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
To talk about the widespread rejection of Turks in Germany and Arabs in France is too much of a topic to open it here, I think.

Well, someone brought the issue of racism in Europe in general and how it can be compared to racism in the US, so I don't think it's off topic. I'm not saying that racism is the only factor in this rejection.

Look at the video again - the soldier seems to be laughing, when his instructors tells (politically even correct!) him to shoot at the Afro-Americans. As I do understand everything, I can almost swear, that this laughter arises, cos the soldier finds it completely dull to have that example mentioned after first firing some shots at an imaginary airplane which had been hijacked by terrorists.

I looked at it again. I don't think it proves anything. He could be laughing out of mockery on African Americans rather than at the stupidity of his trainer and I think most people would be shocked at the suggestion rather than laugh, however jokingly it is made.

BUBI
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM
You're right on saying that when I take a look at my countrymen who, in surveys, consider America and Israel as the world's biggest threats to peace and not - for instance - Iran or Russia.

You've got to be brainwashed to think that Iran is a bigger threat to peace than USA or Israel... not sure about Russia though... :scared:

RVD
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
we're probably related. :p:lol: Probably. I mean, there aren't that many with my last name here in the states. ;) I own a "New World Book..." of my last name to prove it. :angel:

Marshmallow
Apr 16th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Racism really is alive and kicking. Not just broad indirect racism in the form of stereotypes, but i'm talking about deep, hateful, malicious, intent-to-harm kind of racism. While the incidents in any one nation appear to be few and far between, and to be fair, i think the majority of nations cannot be defined as racist - something is going on.

There were reports from russia about savage racist attacks, one of a child being stabbed, i remember in Madrid the young black england players being taunted with monkey noises, riots in france and the burning of the hostel, there were other racist attacks in Germany (someone was burned i think), Anthony walker axed to death in a racist attack (just one of a few racist attacks here in the UK). Also a friend of mine was called the N word in london city (by an eastern european immigrant).

It's good that the media is reporting this, but we mostly generally feel that these incidents should not be happening in this day and age. These times of globalisation, mass media, inter continental communication, scientific advancement... these incidents belong in the 1940s or something... but no, they are happening NOW, in the 21st century.

It's all just very disturbing!!!

roarke
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Another way to say "I know some black people, I have a black friend so I can't be racist"?

azdaja
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Anyway, I know that this incident is far from being representative of the German population or even the German army, but this is a soldier that is training many others, and few seemed to object. I also find it hard to understand how someone could have so much hatred for people he probably rarely has come across.
german soldiers are actually very likely to encounter black people now that germany is taking part in "peace-keeping" operations in africa.

Selah
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Is anyone really surprised when people all over the world see black men being used as target practice by US law enforcement :shrug:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Nevertheless, there is no need to be afraid of a racist Germany, there is not more racism here than in other countries. And still - it's the army and not some chitterchatter-club. And we all know what kind of people go to the army. This case being brought up and the instructor being brought to justice, shows that everything works as it should. The instructor has already been suspended from duty.

See that's what I worry about.

Germany+ Army+ Hate= the end of individualism

And I'm happy that the soldier told his superiors about the incident but I'm still bit worried.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM

It ain't any easier being black and something else.

I have to go bipolar while watching a boxing match these days being black and mexican.

Kick his ass Sugar Shane Mosley!!! oh damn not that much, Oscar fight back!!!
oh fuck!

Kick his ass Bernard Hopkins!!! You better represent Philly mutherf-----!!!
Oh damn don't hit the face, not that, that's Oscar's moneymaker.
oh fuck. oh well. Philly holla!!!

So now after being horse from these fights I'm gonna just pick Oscar because after a while you feel bad for the guy.
He's become the Lindsay Davenport of boxing.

Infiniti2001
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Germany sacks soldier over training video

BERLIN (Reuters) - The German Defence Ministry said on Tuesday it had dismissed a German army instructor who was filmed ordering a recruit to imagine he was firing a machine gun at "African Americans" who were insulting his mother.
The Bundeswehr (Germany army) has dismissed him," a Defence Ministry spokesman said. He said the non-commissioned officer, whose name is being withheld, was stripped of his rank and pay.

The ministry is still investigating a second soldier who filmed the training scenes. It was unclear how long this investigation would take, the spokesman said.

On Monday, the ministry condemned the scene depicted in the video footage as unacceptable.

German television broadcasters aired the grainy 90-second video clip over the weekend.

"You're in the Bronx, a black van pulls up in front of you and three African-Americans get out and start really insulting your mother ... now do something!" the instructor says in German while a recruit lying on the ground starts firing his gun.

As the recruit fires his weapon, the trainer repeatedly shouts the word "motherf***er."

The German army has had to deal with a number of embarrassing scandals in recent years that damaged its image.

These include the publication of pictures German soldiers in
Afghanistan took of each other holding skulls and allegations that torture has been used during training.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070417/ts_nm/germany_racism_military_dc

No Name Face
Apr 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
It ain't any easier being black and something else.

I have to go bipolar while watching a boxing match these days being black and mexican.

Kick his ass Sugar Shane Mosley!!! oh damn not that much, Oscar fight back!!!
oh fuck!

Kick his ass Bernard Hopkins!!! You better represent Philly mutherf-----!!!
Oh damn don't hit the face, not that, that's Oscar's moneymaker.
oh fuck. oh well. Philly holla!!!

So now after being horse from these fights I'm gonna just pick Oscar because after a while you feel bad for the guy.
He's become the Lindsay Davenport of boxing.

i think mexicans are a little more accepting of black culture than the germans.
i could be wrong. but something about the stereotype (i'm not saying it's the truth) germans being notoriously/historically racist sorta seals the deal for me.

samsung101
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I presume this is one very ignorant and stupid German officer, who
should lose his post and ranking due to this.

I don't presume it is reflective of Germany.

It won't get any play in America though.
Before the VT incident, it would not have either.

It would stain the elite media view of Europe as being
far superior to the USA, especially the USA military.

Tolerant, diverse, sophisticated Europe - sure.

G-Ha
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM
i think mexicans are a little more accepting of black culture than the germans.
i could be wrong. but something about the stereotype (i'm not saying it's the truth) germans being notoriously/historically racist sorta seals the deal for me.

you are wrong.

i've been to mexico more times than i can count as i live minutes from the border and i have many mexican friends/acquaintances and some of the worst comments i've heard about black people have come from mexicans. so, it's been my experience that they are generally no more accepting of black culture than other any group.

and it is just that: a stereotype...germans are no more "notoriously/historically" racist than any other people.