PDA

View Full Version : Vivian Stringer

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Just saw her interview on Oprah. What can you say about this woman. She's classy, humble, dignified, inspiring to the young women that depend on her.

Now that's how you handle controversy.......

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
She is all that and more.
If there is a women coach that can be equated to Eddie Robinson, it is Vivian Stringer.

I'm a bit upset because it took an incident like this to get her on Oprah, an incident like this for the general public who usually aren't fans of women's college basketball to get to know how amazing of a women and role model Vivian Stringer is.

AjdeNate!
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Yes I've always admired CVS. There was an incident when she coached Iowa, in the NC2As/R1 where SW Missouri State beat the Hawkeyes at Carver Hawkeye Arena and the fans were throwing beer and soda on the refs, and trying to climb down the railings to the floor, as the refs made (extremly) blatant bad calling all game. CVS actually adressed the crowd and got the pre-riot under control before it got really nasty. She's a diffuser.

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM
If there is a women coach that can be equated to Eddie Robinson, it is Vivian Stringer.

I'm a bit upset because it took an incident like this to get her on Oprah, an incident like this for the general public who usually aren't fans of women's college basketball to get to know how amazing of a women and role model Vivian Stringer is.

Her team is young enough to finally get that title in the next three years. There is not coach who deserves it more......

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Her team is young enough to finally get that title in the next three years. There is not coach who deserves it more......

Probably not.
I'll continue to root her on until she plays the Lady Owls.
I love Vivian but I love Dawn Staley even more. :lol:

mykarma
Apr 12th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I think she has 5 freshmen and the others were juniors. I don't think any of them are seniors yet.

When she gave her speech on CNN I had tears in my eyes. The President on MSNBC said that she was one of the main reasons that he made the decision that he did.

darrinbaker00
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I know this is a silly question, but why doesn't Coach Stringer go by her first name, Charlene?

mykarma
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I know this is a silly question, but why doesn't Coach Stringer go by her first name, Charlene?
Yeah it is silly but a lot of people don't go by their first name.

darrinbaker00
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:46 PM

All you have to do now is convince the National Basketball Hall of Fame..... ;)

serenafan08
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Coach Stringer is a classy lady. I thought she handled herself very well in the press conference on Tuesday. I'm sick of seeing something about this evertime I turn the channel though.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM
All you have to do now is convince the National Basketball Hall of Fame..... ;)

Well I think she'll make it.
Pat Summitt made it so I think there's room for Vivian.
950 wins and a women's college basketball title should do it.

wta_zuperfann
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:42 AM

One of her greatest strengths is her ability to recruit. Years ago, it was her late husband who helped in this regard. He was adored by the players because he was such a paternal figure. When he died, Mrs Stringer became very despondent. But she pulled up her socks, as we Yanks say, and she has remained a great coach and role model.

wta_zuperfann
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah it is silly but a lot of people don't go by their first name.

Foge Fazio never goes by his first name, Serafino = Italian for "little angel".