PDA

View Full Version : Nikki can't take the pressure!!

tennisjunky
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
-nikki has been seeded number one two times in her career and both times she lost in the first round.

-nikki was leading kuznetsova in the SFs and on her way to the finals, then she started thinking about things and she folded

-nikki had serena struggling in the first set at the australian open and even had set points, but serena took them from her and nikki also got weak where she needed to be strong.

think that nikki has all the weapons to be at the top except the most important one, mental toughness. mental toughness can't be taught and most champions have it at a young age. nikki has the complete game and someone with more mental toughness could do a lot more with than she has. she is still young, so im not saying she still wont be great, but if she doesnt fix her head, she wont ever be as as good as she could be.

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Every top player has a first round loss. It's really not a big deal. She doesn't play well on the green stuff.

Gawd. :rolleyes:

muniu
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think she'll have a lot of chances in the future :)
SO just wait for great results:) She is just 17 y.o.

jazar
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
she also doesnt move to brilliantly

tennisjunky
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Every top player has a first round loss. It's really not a big deal. She doesn't play well on the green stuff.

Gawd. :rolleyes:

just thinking about what mary-jo fernandez was saying about her. she mentioned that she noticed that she doesn't do well in high pressure situations. a lot of great champs started that way like serena, navratilova and justine, but most started off mentally strong in the begining like masha, steffi, and hingis. if nikki is going to become a top player like most think then she has to overcome her mental weakness. shes young and has time, but its still something to talk about until she does.

afterall
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Using Mary-Jo Fernandez's quote as an ultimate argument shows just how much you know about tennis in general. Take a look at Vaidisova's stats in 3 set matches and it will tell you all you need to know about mental toughness at her age.

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
just thinking about what mary-jo fernandez was saying about her. she mentioned that she noticed that she doesn't do well in high pressure situations. a lot of great champs started that way like serena, navratilova and justine, but most started off mentally strong in the begining like masha, steffi, and hingis. if nikki is going to become a top player like most think then she has to overcome her mental weakness. shes young and has time, but its still something to talk about until she does.

Well, she isn't steffi, justine, masha or hingis.

She's Nicole. She plays how she plays. She still has 10 years + left in here.

Come back with this thread then. :tape:

faboozadoo15
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
What we can get from this is that she doesn't have the early resolve of great young champions like Seles, Hingis, Serena, Sharapova. But she has so many years in her and opportunities to better her play in those types of situations. Only time will tell. She's so young, afterall.

stevos
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Ummm, I think it was Moscow, where she came back from being down 5-0 in the second set, saving 5 match points (I think) to win in three.

But you're right, she probably sucks in high pressure.

Her almost-comeback against Serena at the AO, I was worried it was happening again! :scared:

Tennace
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM
If she sucks so bad under pressure, how could she beat Mauresmo at RG when the whole time she was probably thinking it was her big chance, plus at Moscow trailing 6-1, 5-2 and saving 3 MPs to comeback and win in a 3rd set TB? Shes not that bad under pressure, plus she is still young so it will definately get better with experience.

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:22 PM
There's not a lot of other 17 year olds out there like her. I think she handles it pretty well. She's never done well on green clay. Everybody has their loses.

Nicolás89
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
im sure the top players dont mind being the top seed at all, krajicek is a good player, and nicole has some early round exists, big deal she does well in most of the tournaments

Viktymise
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Nicole can be a bit of a choker sometimes but so is everyone. Nicole is brilliant at saving MP's and coming from behind. I think for her age is very mature and will no doubt have a great career

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
"I didn't feel in any part of the match I played well," said Vaidisova, of the Czech Republic. "I wasn't really hung up on the fact I was the No. 1 seed, but of course I'm disappointed."

---

Yeah ok, tennisjunky.

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM
-nikki has been seeded number one two times in her career and both times she lost in the first round.

-nikki was leading kuznetsova in the SFs and on her way to the finals, then she started thinking about things and she folded

-nikki had serena struggling in the first set at the australian open and even had set points, but serena took them from her and nikki also got weak where she needed to be strong.

think that nikki has all the weapons to be at the top except the most important one, mental toughness. mental toughness can't be taught and most champions have it at a young age. nikki has the complete game and someone with more mental toughness could do a lot more with than she has. she is still young, so im not saying she still wont be great, but if she doesnt fix her head, she wont ever be as as good as she could be.

I highly doubt being seeded #1 in the tournament had anything to do with those two losses.

Nicole lost to Sveta in Paris because of inexperience. Yeah she got nervous, who wouldn't? She was two points from being in a GS final at 17. That's BIG.

She IS mentally tough, but it's about believing in herself more I think.

And she had only one set point vs. Serena in Australia and Serena hit the netcord which kind of disrupted Nicole's rhythm. She did not choke in that set.

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ummm, I think it was Moscow, where she came back from being down 5-0 in the second set, saving 5 match points (I think) to win in three.

But you're right, she probably sucks in high pressure.

Her almost-comeback against Serena at the AO, I was worried it was happening again! :scared:

It was Moscow, but it was 1-6 2-5 down and saving three match points.

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Sharapova may be mentally tough, but she did not win her 2nd slam for awhile and that speaks of an aspect of her mental toughness.

It's their age.

With more experience Nicole will be able to be more consistent.

Derek.
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
she also doesnt move to brilliantly

Sharapova wasn't as good of a mover when she was 17 either compared to now.

DavenportForever
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM

give her a break she's 17

Whatzup
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Pff she's just 17! Look what she has already done so far! No other girls (expect Sharapova) had the same results at 17 years old the last years. Her time will defenitely come! I'm sure she will break really through at a Grand Slam this year. Michaella Krajicek is a good player, she's just 18 and has three titles already. So this loss isn't the end of the world!

tennisjunky
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I highly doubt being seeded #1 in the tournament had anything to do with those two losses.

She IS mentally tough, but it's about believing in herself more I think..
do you expect her to say she folded because of the presure. lets see what happens next time she's the top seed. believe it had more effect than you think.

believing in yourself comes from mental toughness, how could you not see they're related?

nikki has a bright future and even without her getting mentally tougher she will still do amazing things, she just wont be the best she can be. thats all im saying, she wont take it to the next level untill she gets tougher. why is that so hard for you nikki fans to get.

"she's only 17, she's only 17"- when does this damn girl have a birthday so i dont have to hear you guys mention it for the billionth time.