PDA

View Full Version : USA Fed Cup Team Announced: Venus,Serena,Vania,Lisa

pierce0415
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Lisa Raymond and Vania King are expected to join Serena and Venus Williams on the U.S. Fed Cup team that will be announced Wednesday to play Belgium on April 21-22 in Delray Beach.
Raymond, a former University of Florida star, reigns as the world's No. 1-ranked doubles player, making her a logical choice for international team competition that features both singles and doubles play.
The Palm Beach Gardens-based Williams sisters are slated to play singles in the Fed Cup quarterfinal where the U.S. team will be heavily favored. The Belgians will be competing without stars Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters, who are concentrating on tour events.
After those two top-five powerhouses, the top-ranked singles players for Belgium include Kirsten Flipkens (ranked No. 132) and Caroline Maes (228).
Tickets for the two-day, best-of-five matches competition at the Delray Beach Tennis Center are available at (888) 334-8782. Delray Beach hosted sold-out matches, also against Belgium, in the 2005 quarterfinals.

LDF
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Belgium :help:

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
just like in 05, the belgians are going to be hung out to dry by the USA:help:

Mikey B
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM

lol! exactly!!! would have been an exciting fed cup if justine and kim were playing...

i think i'll cheer for belgium just because of their overwhelming underdog situation!!!!

frenchie
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
What's the surface?? I think Delray is hard courts but can anyone confirm

pierce0415
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
yes it is hard court outdoors

Elwin.
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Belgium :help: :lol:

Nicolas
Lisa is selected?

Adal
Great team

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
:hearts: Hope they televise the massace :drool::devil:

Pengwin
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Caroline Maes :bigwave:

pierce0415
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
LOL imagine the slaughter when Serena faces Caroline Maes on Day 1

Nicolas
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Henin and especially Kimmie are really bitches.......
Why don't they play?
Belgium better withdraws.........

Brαm
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If the Americans lose more than 20 games they should all retire :haha: ;) :help:

radwanska
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Belgium better be hungry because they are going to get fed ALOT of bagels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlandman
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Singles both Williams and doubles King/Raymond I think...

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
well this won't be pretty....BUT....it's tennis and anyone can feel inspired on a given day..........:unsure: who am I kidding....let's go team williams...and lisa and vania LOL

Mightymirza
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
belge :tape: :help:

papru
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
poor Belgium :sad: I wouldnt like to be 'Belge' atm :scared:

-sugi-
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Vani :yeah:

jamatthews
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Maes def V Williams 1-6 1-5 ret (Wrist Injury)
Hendler def S Williams 0-6 0-5 (Ankle Injury)

Slutiana
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Belgium better be hungry because they are going to get fed ALOT of bagels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loooooooool

jazar
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:36 PM
what is king doing in there? she sucks this season. they should have put shaughnessy in, plus she is a better doubles player

dybbuk
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM
:drool: how cruel to the Belgian team :drool:

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
:hearts: Hope they televise the massace :drool::devil:
The Tennis Channel, 2:30 PM EDT both days. :bounce:

Didn't Lisa Raymond once say that she'd never play Fed Cup again unless Zina Garrison was replaced as captain? :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM
what is king doing in there? she sucks this season. they should have put shaughnessy in, plus she is a better doubles player
I believe that Shaughnessy, like Lisa Raymond, vowed never to play Fed Cup again as long as Zina Garrison was the captain. Raymond obviously had a change of heart, but I think Vania King was a wise choice, because for better or worse, she represents the future of American women's tennis.

PLP
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:33 PM
:hearts:

Great team!

Both Sisters, the best doubles player, and Vania!!!

Ms. King is going to learn so much from her team...I love it!! :drool:

Belgium...sorry. :help:

John.
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Belgium:help:

Direwolf
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
The Tennis Channel, 2:30 PM EDT both days. :bounce:

Didn't Lisa Raymond once say that she'd never play Fed Cup again unless Zina Garrison was replaced as captain? :shrug:

why?
anyone knows what happened?:confused: :confused:

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Great team.

The power of Serena and Venus in singles.

The best doubles player and Vania in between. :angel:

PLP
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Maes def V Williams 1-6 1-5 ret (Wrist Injury)
Hendler def S Williams 0-6 0-5 (Ankle Injury)

Isn't Flipkens playing?

jamatthews
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Flipkens is going to withdraw to promote her new perfume.

darrinbaker00
Nothing against Lisa Raymond, but I would have gone with another teenager (Lauren Albanese, Alexa Glatch) as my fourth. The doubles rubber is going to be dead, and we need to get our younger players as much international exposure as possible.

rjd1111
Let V & Ree play doubles too. They are the best doubles team

oooo86
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
woow what a team.... a match between them and the russin time will be great....
acutally venus and serena alone can be great fed team...

Wintermute
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Go Team USA! Belgium will be destroyed. :tape:

Kim and Justine where are you? You could have made this tie interesting.

Poova
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Imagine the looks on all our faces if Belgium actually win :lol:

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Let V & Ree play doubles too. They are the best doubles team
Raymond and King (Raymond and anybody, actually) would wipe the court with Venus and Serena. They haven't played a real doubles match together since Wimbledon '03.

Bart
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Of course Belgium does not have a chance, but I think it will be a nice experience for them, especially for Yanina Wickmayer and Tamaryn Hendler :)

Paneru
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Nothing against Lisa Raymond, but I would have gone with another teenager (Lauren Albanese, Alexa Glatch) as my fourth. The doubles rubber is going to be dead, and we need to get our younger players as much international exposure as possible.

Gotta disagree.

I think having Lisa is great in looking beyond Belgium.
Lisa loves to play Fed Cup and is the #1 doubles player
in the world. As we've seen in previous years, the US gets
a strong 1st team with a rather weakened opponent and then
when the 2nd match-up comes after Wimbledon, the US has been
drastically weakened. So, seeing as we don't know who will be healthy
and able to play in that 2nd match-up, their is no need and it would be
prudent not to burn that bridge with Lisa because she may be needed. JMO.

Paneru
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Raymond and King (Raymond and anybody, actually) would wipe the court with Venus and Serena. They haven't played a real doubles match together since Wimbledon '03.

Assumption.

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Imagine the looks on all our faces if Belgium actually win :lol:
I would much rather imagine the deposits into Venus and Serena's bank accounts if Belgium actually won, because that's the only way it would happen. ;)

blumaroo
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I understand Justine's decision. But you would think Kim wants to play since she always was so passionate about Fed cup and she barely plays tour events anymore. And she's not injured at the moment. Why not have some fun with her friends and make the best of it?

pierce0415
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Of course Belgium does not have a chance, but I think it will be a nice experience for them, especially for Yanina Wickmayer and Tamaryn Hendler :)

depends on what you mean by nice experience
coach flight from Belgium to Florida :cool:
brand new warmups in Belgium national colors with their names on it :cool:
stay in a nice hotel in Delray Beach :cool:
free lunch and dinner :cool:
photo opportunities with Venus and Serena at the draw :cool:
being whipped by the American team in front of a large crowd :help:
coach flight back from Florida to Belgium :cool:

ViennaCalling
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
:lol: :tape:

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
depends on what you mean by nice experience
coach flight from Belgium to Florida :cool:
brand new warmups in Belgium national colors with their names on it :cool:
stay in a nice hotel in Delray Beach :cool:
free lunch and dinner :cool:
photo opportunities with Venus and Serena at the draw :cool:
being whipped by the American team in front of a large crowd :help:
coach flight back from Florida to Belgium :cool:

Its always considered a nice experience for the lesser known players to be playing with the best.

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Gotta disagree.

I think having Lisa is great in looking beyond Belgium.
Lisa loves to play Fed Cup and is the #1 doubles player
in the world. As we've seen in previous years, the US gets
a strong 1st team with a rather weakened opponent and then
when the 2nd match-up comes after Wimbledon, the US has been
drastically weakened. So, seeing as we don't know who will be healthy
and able to play in that 2nd match-up, their is no need and it would be
prudent not to burn that bridge with Lisa because she may be needed. JMO.
In other words, Zina Garrison should keep Lisa Raymond happy in case one or both of the Williams sisters blow her off against the Russians (sorry, Spanish fans, but you have no shot) in July. Personally, I don't think that will happen.

Paneru
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM
In other words, Zina Garrison should keep Lisa Raymond happy in case one or both of the Williams sisters blow her off against the Russians (sorry, Spanish fans, but you have no shot) in July. Personally, I don't think that will happen.

In case they are injured.

V&S love Zina and would never "blow her off".
If healthy they will always play for her.

05' - Venus, Serena, & Lindsay against weakened
Blegium, then come Russia, Serena & Lindsay injured.

So yes, best to keep Lisa happy and playing then gamble
only to possibly have one or both V&S be injured and
not able to play.

rjd1111
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM

And Does that mean they have forgotten how to play doubles? That wasn't a problem the last time they played. In fact that was what the big controversy was about. They hadn't played in a long time and weren't even ranked. Wimby seeded them #1 and the real #1 team was very angry. Venus and Serena won anyway.

Williams-forever
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM
That probably makes a doubles team of Lisa and Vania...

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
And Does that mean they have forgotten how to play doubles? That wasn't a problem the last time they played. In fact that was what the big controversy was about. They hadn't played in a long time and weren't even ranked. Wimby seeded them #1 and the real #1 team was very angry. Venus and Serena won anyway.
Actually, it was the 2003 Australian Open, and the #1 team, Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez, had a legitimate beef. Yes, Venus and Serena did beat them in the final, but they shouldn't have been seeded #1. No, Venus and Serena haven't forgotten how to play doubles, but that doesn't mean they can just show up on court after four years and expect to win.

Veritas
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Poor Belgium :p

With Venus being a little erratic these days, Belgium could pull off a singles win...

K-Dog
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Poor Belgium :p

With Venus being a little erratic these days, Belgium could pull off a singles win...

Not even Venus making 70 errors would warrant a loss in singles. She'd prob win 6-4 7-5 with that performance. Venus will not lose to any of Belgium's players.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I believe that Shaughnessy, like Lisa Raymond, vowed never to play Fed Cup again as long as Zina Garrison was the captain. Raymond obviously had a change of heart, but I think Vania King was a wise choice, because for better or worse, she represents the future of American women's tennis.

I wouldn't blame them especially Lisa.
What she had to deal with in 2004 in Austria was a mess.

I think Lisa assumed that Zina would be gone by now, but now that she isn't and one of the reasons Lisa is still on tour is because she wants to play the Olympics again, she decided to let bygones be bygones.

Vania King is there most likely because she will be Lisa's partner at the Olympics.
She compliments Lisa's game more than Meghann.

starin
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't blame them especially Lisa.
What she had to deal with in 2004 in Austria was a mess.

I think Lisa assumed that Zina would be gone by now, but now that she isn't and one of the reasons Lisa is still on tour is because she wants to play the Olympics again, she decided to let bygones be bygones.

Vania King is there most likely because she will be Lisa's partner at the Olympics.
She compliments Lisa's game more than Meghann.

what happened?

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I saw Vania play at Carson August 06. NOT impressed! I'd put Shenay Perry on instead.

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I saw Vania play at Carson August 06. NOT impressed! I'd put Shenay Perry on instead.
The Shenay Perry who lost to Marion Bartoli yesterday? The Shenay Perry with a 3-7 in singles this year? THAT Shenay Perry?

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
The Shenay Perry who lost to Marion Bartoli yesterday? The Shenay Perry with a 3-7 in singles this year? THAT Shenay Perry?

Yep. She played close in her last lost. Won the first set. Vania's game SUCKS. Really one dimensional backcourt power hitter. Maybe with the Williams' sisters for confidence, Shenay could break out.

Just my opinion.

By the way, if Vania is the future of women's tennis -- after Serena and Venus quit -- I think I'll be taking another siesta myself. Because I won't be able to stand it. Unless some other BETTER youngster comes down the pike to challenge the ovas.

rjd1111
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Actually, it was the 2003 Australian Open, and the #1 team, Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez, had a legitimate beef. Yes, Venus and Serena did beat them in the final, but they shouldn't have been seeded #1. No, Venus and Serena haven't forgotten how to play doubles, but that doesn't mean they can just show up on court after four years and expect to win.

My Misstake. You are right Darrin It was AO. I also agree that Virginia
and Paola had a legitimate beef. Thought it was ironic that The Seeders
were proven correct. But Paola and Virginia also made some money they
might not have made had the Sisters been seeded at the bottom and
they had met earlier.

As to just showing up after a long time and expecting to win. Haven't
the Sisters been doing just that for some time now. Serena at AO 07',
Venus at Memphis, Wimby 05', AO 05', etc. In fact Venus did it at AO 03'
there was an article in the mailbag about her being out and not playing
any warmups and yet not dropping a set until the final to Serena.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
sisters aren't conventional...the only players that can show up and win without warning :D it's what makes them fabulous :D besides all the other times they played doubles it wasn't like they were entering alot of other tournies before the GS...if they wanted to play then they did and still won...all it takes for them to win doubles is good communication which they have:D