PDA

View Full Version : Serena 2002 v. Serena 2007

bridgepea
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Last night on The Tennis Channel they were featuring highlights of the French Open from 2002 to the present. I was watching Serena in the 2002 matches and one of the things that I noticed is that she is more centered now and not given to tantrums as she was early in her career. I also notice that she is much more calm and hits the ball with more authority, better placement and is generally a better player than she was in 2002. Your thoughts on this

frenchie
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
It has already been discussed!

but I think the Serena from 2002-2003 was better due to her better footwork and movement

spencercarlos
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Last night on The Tennis Channel they were featuring highlights of the French Open from 2002 to the present. I was watching Serena in the 2002 matches and one of the things that I noticed is that she is more centered now and not given to tantrums as she was early in her career. I also notice that she is much more calm and hits the ball with more authority, better placement and is generally a better player than she was in 2002. Your thoughts on this
Sorry but Serena 2002 was better. Actually her movement was unbelieveable, i remmember her making most her oponnents average less than 2 digits winners.

bridgepea
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Her movement was better, yes, what I am talking about is her psyche. She just seems a lot calmer now than she was then. Then again, I stand corrected on the movement thing, she was a lot quicker back then, but now it is like she is so much more centered.

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=10476667

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Supergrunt?

slydevil6142
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yea I saw that special last night and serena doesnt move nearly has well as she use to ..... now watching venus not miss forhands was a welcome treat from 02 awww the days ha.

TennisGuy21
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I saw the Road to RG last night on the Tennis Channel also, and I remember the Golden erra!! =D I saw Serena at the Sony Open from the first row of court 1 for her opening match after it rained ALL day long, and I think the Serena of today is a smarter player. I agree with you that she places the ball better now, and is out thinker he opposition. Its really scary for the field as far as I would be concerned, because she still has way better movement then the Maria Sharapova's of the world. I think she has really grown into a mature young women, and she makes alot of smart desisions when she plays now. I can see Serena making adjustments to her game, and not letting the same problem affect her the whole match now. I agree that she might not be as young as before, and might not run around as much now that she has metel in her knee, but she is compensating for it with her game. You guys, she just took out Justine and Justine had 2 match points- and beyond that, Justine is a better player now then she ever was in 2002. She had the confidence of taking a set off her Nemisis 6/0, I think Serena was having a bad day but was able to realize she needed to make adjustments and she kept herself in it, and stayed calm. I think Serena is out to make a statement.. shes the best ever, and undisputably of this erra. Every time I see people post Justine's name ahead of Serena's I ask my self, who has more Slams? Who has the better head to head?

Serena is about to cut up on this tour this year! watch- ;)

RenaSlam.
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Not as explosive as she once was...especially on the returns.

Experimentee
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Serena 2002 was much better. But hopefully Serena will be improving during the year, shes only just come back and only played 2 tournaments, so making a judgment on Serena 2007 is a bit premature now.

stefi62
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:22 PM
2002 with no doubt. At least, she cared at the time! :D

Mightymirza
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well one thing for sure, the fighting spirit is stil the same..And I agree about the better placement of the shots..Plus I think the serve is much better now in the sense of variety she can put to the 1st serves..:worship: Can hit it @ 200 kmph and can hit a wicked kicker or a wicked slice serve..Keeps opponent guessing.

bridgepea
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thank goodness, I thought I was imagining things when I was watching it last night and when I saw her matches at the AO this year. It is like she has evolved into a more complete player. She still has the power and the movement, but when that does not work,she turns to something else, i.e. starts to think on the court and not just try and blow people away. Which is a really good thing.

John.
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM
2002 Serena was :eek: There have been signs of that form this year but not consistently.

The Daviator
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
As many people have said, they're two different players, Serena 2002 was an amazon, an amazing athlete with brutal power, Serena 2007 has lost that a bit, but is a smarter, calmer player, she still has the same will and mental strength though, that will never go away :worship:

AcesHigh
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
2002 Serena>>>>>>>> 2007 Serena

Serena wasn't that great with placement and angles and possibly strategy in 2002 because she didn't need that. She would blast you off the court and could retrieve any shot that you throw at her.

2007 can't run everything down.. her movement isn't that great and she can't blast everyone off the court. The consistency isn't there and unless you are in the zone(2002 Serena seemed in the zone 24/7) you just can't expect to blow every opponent off the court. Serena has learned to impliment strategy, variety and quick thinking with her amazing physical abilities to become the best player in the world again.

spartanfan
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Not as explosive as she once was...especially on the returns.

Did you not see the AO finals this year? Serena's return game was the best I've ever seen, especially off of a player like MS, who has a pretty big serve. I also think its way too early to compare the two years since SW has only played in 3 tournaments this year. A truer since of where she is this year won't be apparentl until after Wimbledon. Just my take..

serenafan08
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
In '02, Serena was all power. The most impressive part of her game was her ability to overpower her opponents from anywhere on the court. She could out serve and out hit anybody. But when she wasn't hitting winners, she would get into trouble. There wasn't ever a plan B - either she hit the winner or made the error. Now, there's more options. Her volleys are so much better, and she knows when to come forward. Her net game saved her against Henin in Miami because her groundstrokes were way off. I also think her racquet choice has helped her. Going to a smaller frame with more control-oriented design has been a really good fit for her. And the best thing is, Serena in '07 is still a work in progress - she's still got room for improvement! :bounce:

winone23
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Serena 02 was better

LCS
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
The 2002 Serena was a machine...she run every ball down....really scary...

bandabou
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:37 PM
different...it's like the two jordans..before Jordan left to play baseball he would just blow past you and score on dunks and lay-ups, but then he lost that lil bit explosiveness and speed...so he turned to his fade-away jumpshot.

Same with Serena...is pacing herself more. Knows she can't run everything down anymore, so she saves it for the really big points. In the meantime she's just lulling you...and then BAAMMM..you lost the match.

franklinbouvier
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Gosh!
Imagine!
A player improving with age and experience!
What a revolutionary idea! Canonise her immediately!

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Serena realises now she can't run down everything and she can't overpower everyone....she's gotten smarter at chasing down balls cause that's what got her knee in the first place...however when Serena is in the zone she doesn't need to do much running cause there isn't much anyone can do...even if she isn't hitting clean winners hardly anyone can return her shots with interest when she gets to that place (AO final)....I'll just say that 07 Serena has adjusted to to the situation that she is in due to what happened to her...her movement will never really be the same cause she has to consider her knee....and this has made her a different player than 02...she thinks more and I think that was her problem between 04-06....she thought she would just come back and blow everyone away like she was doing and when she couldn't she would press too much and make too many UFE...in light of the situation I'd say they are two different players cause of the adjustments that have been made to accommodate injury...but she's just as deadly as she was then cause even without chasing every ball down she's still able to straight set alot of people

Dexter
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Supergrunt?Serena? :shrug: