PDA

View Full Version : Cronin's bold prediction: Golovin to replace Mauresmo in Top-10 this summer

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
... or maybe he has the point?

The quick Golovin is a quintessential counter-puncher who does pack some pop on her groundies. The chatty South Florida resident may prefer all things pop culture, but she has a lunch bucket approach to the game. Here's an early prediction: by late summer, she'll pass fellow Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in the rankings at No. 10.

jenny161185
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
hmmm well mauresmos losing points now because shes out injusred but she ll be back soon and I can t see her falling out of the top ten just yet

Kart
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Her overtaking Amelie would be more due to a string of poor performances from Amelie than stellar performances from Tatiana IMHO.

Amelie has a fair chance of defending her Wimbledon title if she gets fit in time IMHO.

southpaw58
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Her overtaking Amelie would be more due to a string of poor performances from Amelie than stellar performances from Tatiana IMHO.

Amelie has a fair chance of defending her Wimbledon title if she gets fit in time IMHO.

i agree.

Nicolas
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
:drink:

no kiddin!!!!!

:spit:

new-york
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM
i'm surprised.

Amélie's play lately when in form/not injured has been too great for Tatiana to do the same.
Tatiana may improve even more this season but i still think that there's a long way to go except if Amélie is not having a decent year with her standarts.

She could get to 10 with goo dperformances but i don't see Amélie falling that much in the rankings.

Mightymirza
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM

frenchie
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
that would be great!

No more "Amélie here, Amélie there..." in the french medias

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM
That's the first time I hope that Cronin is right :lol:

gumoll
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM

iPatty
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
amelie's not going to fall out of the top ten.

tati's not going to enter the top ten.

i'm not sure what cronin was thinking. then again, i never do.
idiot.

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
;10486893']

idiot.

:lol:

pierce0415
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
that is the dumbest prediction ever

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
It's gonna take Golovin something special this year to get into the top 10. Yes she has got a Tier II title to her name this year, but she needs better slam performances to even get close to anyone in the top 10. Still she seems in good form, so she'll definitely believe she can get there, but i dont believe it just yet. I cant envisage tati in the top 10 for another year at least........

LDF
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Ditto :lol:

frontier
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
golovin is not consistent enough to reach top ten and stay there.remember kirilenko who won a title and disappeared.momo is still a top ten fixture and she will gain points during the clay season.
its too early to predict about where golovin will end up,she is too inconsistent
for anyone to give a definitive analysis.

Uranus
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Mauresmo won't fall out of top 10 unless an injury keeps her off the court until the end of the year :rolleyes:
She's just better than the girls out of top 5 so I can't see her being passed by any of them.

Same here, actually :lol:

TennisGuy21
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I think Tatiana has really bad luck with injury. With that aside, Amelie is a big pusher. Granted, she is probably the best pusher on tour, and pushers can give a power player alot of problems if the power player isnt good enough to hit through them, and stay consistant. Tatiana is kinda turning into a bit of a Martina (hingis) for me. -- But she can almost handle the pace even better! Tatiana has a pretty big forehand, but alot of it is all counter punching. I saw her play at the sony open in person, she was good, but is not as good at generating her own pace as she is at moving the ball around and counter punching. Although- I would have to say she is a counter puncher, with a forehand. (a pretty good one! I like Tatiana alot!) As for being better then Amelie, I think at the end of the day, Amelie is just a more solid player, and she has great game at the net. She did take Serena out of the US open, and had the HARDEST draw at wimbledon... Eh, I hate giving Amelie her prop's but end of the day- shes just a better player!

silverwhite
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Maybe if Momo stays injured for a few more months

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Idiot.

Princeza
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM
http://yelims1.free.fr/Alcooliques/Alcooliques07.gif

ptkten
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Well at least he's making a bold prediction unlike all the other writers who just say Justine or Serena will win everything ;)

but yeah, it is very unlikely

The Daviator
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
He's just another guy with an opinion, who cares what he thinks...

cellophane
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Well at least he's making a bold prediction unlike all the other writers who just say Justine or Serena will win everything ;)

but yeah, it is very unlikely

He is bandwagoning.

pooh14
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i am not sure if golovin will enter top 10.
but i am pretty sure amelie would be in top10 unless she is injured

Beny
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
joke..
this won`t happen :o

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
that is the dumbest prediction ever

:lol: No its not

ViennaCalling
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
:tape:

jazzfuzion
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
i want some of what cronin's having. he's talking out of his mind.i want to feel like that.

Experimentee
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
One good tournament and suddenly Golovin will replace Mauresmo. Gotta love tha bandwagoners!

jazar
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM
she will be in the top 10 soon, but momo won't be falling out of it just yet, even though she will lose plenty of points when she fails to defend her wimbledon crown

Yasmine
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
One good tournament and suddenly Golovin will replace Mauresmo. Gotta love tha bandwagoners!
:lol: :devil:

What would be so wrong with the two of them in top 10? :p and no Amélie isn't falling out of it unless she's injured till the end of the year;)

Slutiana
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM
:lol: :devil:

What would be so wrong with the two of them in top 10? :p and no Amélie isn't falling out of it unless she's injured till the end of the year;)

yehh exactly...i think tati will replace Vaidisova if she makes it into the top 10 this year and NO i am NOT a bandwagoner...i've always loved tati:)

Linnie
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Quote = Matt Cronin:
The quick Golovin is a quintessential counter-puncher who does pack some pop on her groundies. The chatty South Florida resident may prefer all things pop culture, but she has a lunch bucket approach to the game. Here's an early prediction: by late summer, she'll pass fellow Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in the rankings at No. 10.
she will be in the top 10 soon, but momo won't be falling out of it just yet, even though she will lose plenty of points when she fails to defend her wimbledon crown
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/Miss_Cleo.jpg

tennisjunky
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
he did say late summer. if mauresmo doesn't have a strong showing at wimbledon, i guess it's possible. that would mean tati would have to be solid from here on out. not the most likely prediction, but still possible.

rockwithme
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:11 PM
He is bandwagoning.

yeh, isnt he the same guy who dismissed tati not too long ago for having "limited" top-10 potential? :rolleyes:

and now he's saying she can displace amelie by end of august?

John.
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
:lol:I can't see her overtaking Momo just yet

mauresmofan
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I think Amélie has proven to everyone that she can not only handle being in the top ten but thrive there - when was the last time she wasn't in the top ten?

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think Amélie has proven to everyone that she can not only handle being in the top ten but thrive there - when was the last time she wasn't in the top ten?

Wimbledon-2002

Monica_Rules
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Maybe next year but can't see it this year. Golovin is defo going to climb towards the top 10 but i think Momo is safe in the top 5 this year.

LindsayRulz
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I can't see Mauresmo out of the top 10 and Golovin in as soon as this summer.

timafi
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
that mofo must be on something,Amelie has been in the top 10..for years now:cuckoo: :spit: :spit: and he seems to forget she had appendicitis;she didn't hang her racket yet and at 27 is still playing well when healthy
with all due respect to Tati who I love and all;one title doesn't mean you're going to get in the top 10 but Ame is a better player on all surfaces and a better athlete
beating a not 100% Venus and Petrova who didn't play well due to an in-form Tati and now she's the new it girl? :rolleyes: :lol:
:hug: Tati but let's not push it:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruno71
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Cronin is a dipshit. Golovin's won exactly the same amount of lesser tournaments as Mauresmo this season WITHOUT being out for an extended period of time with appendicitis. I'm about 99.99% positive his prediction will not come true.

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM
No way...Mauresmo is in top 5...
Tati is in top 20..

impossible

babsi
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
What about Tati having a better French Open than Momo?

To me that doesn't seem so far fetched based on how Momo performs there.

jamatthews
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM
What about Tati having a better French Open than Momo?

To me that doesn't seem so far fetched based on how Momo performs there.

Nope...Mauresmo bombs at RG because all the pressure is on her.The appendicitis couldn't have come at a better time for Momo. This year all the pressure will be on Tati as the French favourite, and for the title people will be talking about Serena/Justine/Petrova. I would put a lot of money on Golovin choking in an absolutely heartbreaking manner in the early stages (well I might put money on that even if she wasn't the in form French woman). I think an under the radar Mauresmo might grind her way to her best RG performance this year.

Love-seles
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM
If Tati pulls off also winning FCC this month all bets are off.

Direwolf
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Even a Serena with
a Slam
A Super Tier I
4R at USO
isnt even in top ten
then what makes him think that shed make it in top ten
this summer?...

Its not like Tati is gonna get pass
Henin
Williams
Williams
Sharapova
Kuznetsova
Hingis
Vaidisova
Petrova
Jankovic
Chakvetadze

who i think would be top ten by Summer...

and some other players....

Mauresmo
Clijsters
Hantuchova
Peer
Schnyder
Ivanovic
Li
Zvonareva
Bammer

who could beat her any given day..!!
and AI was just her 4th final...
so.. nope..
hard to Imagine her winning atleast 3 big titles by the end of summer...

Slumpsova
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
bye bye Amelie :wavey:

In The Zone
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Mauresmo is not falling out of the top ten. She may lose some ranking points and drop out of the top five, but not the top ten. And for Golovin, she has the talent and game but consistency has not been on her side. She will not be able to enter the top ten in 2007 as Peer, Li, Serena, Hantuchova, Chakvetadze, and Jankovic are all reaching new heights in their play when compared to 2006. I don't see it happening. Maybe 2008.

Volcana
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Unless Mauresmo doesn't play Wimbledon, or has a very poor showing, I don't see this happening. Mauresmo is almost 1500 points ahead of Golovin now. Mauresmo isn't dropping out of the top ten before Wimbledon. And there are an awful lot of good players between her and the top ten.

AlwaysAmelie
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Golovin only chance to replace Amelie is when Amelie decide to retire :cool:

MinnyGophers
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
What I dont understand is why does Amelie have to fall out of the top ten for Golovin get in? :rolleyes:

There are many players who would fall out of the top ten before she does.

faboozadoo15
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I just don't understand the logic in this. tati isn't even that close to being top10 in the RACE with 7 events already being played by her. she wins one title on green clay, the most insignificant surface played on, and suddenly she's headed for the top10..... AND BUMPING AMELIE. I'm not buying into this at all.

switz
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM
i don't see Mauresmo dropping out the top 10 unless this injury is really serious and she's out of action for a long time. You'd think winning two slams in the previous year would earn you some respect :o

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
:haha: :rolls: Get real!

Orion
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I can see her replacing Clijsters, but I don't see Mauresmo falling out of the top 10 this season. She's too good on grass to lose before the semi's at Wimbledon, and she's too steady to botch everything.

Linnie
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Unless she has all of her internal organs removed, Amelie will remain in the top five, at least ;)

austennis
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Instead of Tati replacing Amelie.. y not joining her in top 10 ?

ctan88
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:06 AM
I can see Tatiana in the top 10 soon, but i dont think we'll see Amelie out of it anytime soon!

delicatecutter
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I agree that the issue isn't Tati "replacing" Amelie. There is plenty of room in the Top 10 for both of them! However, I do think Tati has a chance to get to Top 5 and maybe outrank Amelie. I'm not sure how soon this will happen; I definitely feel Amelie will be in the Top 10, injury not withstanding, until she retires. However, injuries may soon become a factor. Did I hear correctly that she had her appendix removed? How soon will she be able to even come back?

If you look at the current Top 10, it's shocking to see the inconsistent results many of the girls have. I still can't believe that Sveta was #3 for a week or two recently. Slam success seems to give you buckoo points, so if Tati can manage to get to a Slam SF (a la Vaidisova who has yet to win a Tier I) she will be well on her way. And with the way she plays, I feel she has a great shot. You have to pretty much blow her off the court because when she's playing well she does not beat herself.

Tati is really coming into her own and it's great to see. It's hard to believe that she has been in the top 30 level since she was 16?? Now that she's injury free I expect her to make the next leap into the Top 10 and challenge for Slams. She's a treasure.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM
;10486893']amelie's not going to fall out of the top ten.

tati's not going to enter the top ten.

idiot.

i agree with you!!!:wavey:

HTE
Apr 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Don't know about Mauresmo dropping out, but a great clay season from Tati could definitely put her a lot nearer to the top 10.