PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried to implicate a pro's shot into your game?

Poccn
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM
e.g. like their serve ect?

Have you ever or are you using a shot you copied from a pro?

Monica_Rules
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM
i think when i was about 7 i tried to play two handed on both sides and grunt like Monica Seles even though i'm a boy! LOL!

sonnys
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
2 hands on both and ivanicevics serve!!!

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Venus's forehand:lol:

its more error-prone than hers i can tell you:lol:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Bammers serve!!

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bammers serve!!

high ball-toss alert:lol:

controlfreak
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I have certainly committed some crimes against tennis in my time. And some famous shots may well be implicated.

kittyking
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Elena Dementievas serve :bounce:
It was a mistake :tape:

égalité
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Justine's backhand :drool: :tape:

kittyking
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Woops ive also tried a 2 handed forehand (not quite sure who it was repticating exactly) but then I decided just to use that on swinging volleys

matthias
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Dementieva´s serve, and don´t get rid of it

MisterMan
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Try the Lansdorp-taught forehand of Sharapova and Davenport - with that upward motion right after ball contact, so the racket ends up by your head.

This is particularly effective on forehands on the run. Worked wonders.

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
justines backhand... because i physically CANNOT hit a two handed backhand its so strange.... and once my forehand was off so i tried to do ivanovic's... and i hit quite a few winners! when i serve i copied tommy haas for a while too... not sure why but it worked!

BartoliBabes
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
YES! i've played with two hands on both sides for about 3 years now.. and last year i won numerous tennis events playing like this. Marion Bartoli inspired me..:) I now play like this permanently

MyskinaManiac
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Martina Hingis's drop shot.

papru
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hingis's dropshots
Lindsay's backhand dtl
sometimes Coetzer's moon balls :p

austennis
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Lol my serve ends up like Dementieva when i try 2 change.. but i have copied alot of the flat forehands that all the bolletaris seem to have.. find it works awesome of high bounce..

MyskinaManiac
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Of all forehands, Sharapova's is the easiest to copy and one probably gets the desired result. Because of the extreme techinique, one can see the action produced in an effort to inpart topspin on the ball, whilst hitting through it.

Martina's likewise, except one would not reccomend her grip. But in terms of stroke production and simplicity, Martina's game is a great one to copy.

Would not reccomend serving like Elena D for the reason that this may increase ones chances of back, neck, shoulder and elbow injuries... her technique is not natural. Everything about Davenports game is tough to copy, because she was just so gifted and made everything seem so effortless.

iPatty
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
i did myskina's backhand for a while, but i pretty much have my own strokes now.

btexas
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I played double handed both sides for quite a while... mostly because of Seles :worship: , but also trying to get rid of bad tendinitis (making a different movement on the forehand).

It was hard in the beggining, very fun in the middle, but at the end I switched back to a one handed forehand 'cause I had a hard time returning serves with the two handed forehand.

Once in a while I still hit like Seles, just for fun, but without the "a-heee" grunt - hehehe... ;) In fact the two handed forehand gives you a lot of power and precision in the shots. Once you get used, it feels pretty much like your regular two handed backhand shots.

Dan23
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
im working on the Mauresmo flashy airborne backhand :p

southpaw58
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Venus and Serena's Backhands also Djokovic

Forehand Combo of -Nadal, Ivanovic, Serena, Venus

Serve - Bob Bryan's 2nd Serve

BH Swinging Volley-Sharapova

BH Slice-Roddick, Mauresmo

I'm not exactly implicating, more like I visualize them do it, and try and do it myself.

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
davenport serve

Lefty.
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
im working on the Mauresmo flashy airborne backhand :p

It looks cool, but my timing would probably be way too off for me to actually use it effectively. :o

LDF
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I've modelled my serve on Lindsay's, and I've developed the Lansdorp reverse forehand mentioned earlier on ;)

AJZ.
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM
No, but I try to have Sugi's attitude and Jie's focus!!

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I do Sharapova's helicopter forehand sometimes :o Really need to stop that...

Lindsayfanumber1
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
davenport serve

Same here :drool:

Pengwin
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Me too :(, my coach scalds me for it, but it's just a habit.

Damn you Maria :fiery:

heartBREAKeRS
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM
i think when i was about 7 i tried to play two handed on both sides and grunt like Monica Seles even though i'm a boy! LOL!

Let me guess, you're gay?!:p

heartBREAKeRS
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I try as much to have Serena gamestyle, while maintain a male version of it!

Tennisation
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I tried sharapova's forehand, and for whatever odd reason, I copied Hingis' serve:tape: and now i can't get rid of it because I love the ease motion getting into the serve although it's not very effective :lol:

LCS
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Who's the gay now!? There's no link between the two things here...

Anyway...I once started to serve like Andy Roddick...it pretty much worked...! I also tried to serve like Elena Dementieva...and it pretty much didn't work...LOL

On the groundstrokes I only simulate, sometimes, Elena's forehand...but not always...since I'm not as tall as her I tend to make some errors into te net since Elena hits quite flat...

And what's the problem with the helicopter swing??? I do it as well and let me tell you it's great when the ball has come too much into your body...it's better than sendind a lob and getting back a smash! Of course thast technically it's all wrong...

Craigy
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM
And what's the problem with the helicopter swing??? I do it as well and let me tell you it's great when the ball has come too much into your body...it's better than sendind a lob and getting back a smash! Of course thast technically it's all wrong...

I mean not when its close to your body, just any regular forehand. I try not to do it, but it is a habit as pengwin said.

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I tend to do a helicopter swing if the ball is high, and usually use it again when wanting a forehand cross court.

And i have a golovin serve. :tape:

Benchwarmer1
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
well, it doesn't say male or female so:p

but i did try Justine's BH, and Gasquet's and neither worked so i'm trying to copy Gaudio's BH now

and i'm trying to emulate Safin's FH, and Gasquet's serve

VishaalMaria
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Everytime I do my forehand it swings across my neck and behind my head. But thats when I really hit the ball and they go for winners. With my backhand i just loop it so my opponent has to get back or lobbed :P :P

mirzalover
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Lord there are so many

Dokic backhand
Myskina backhand
Jankovic backhand
Davenport backhand

Venus serve
Ivanovic serve
Mirza serve ( What the hell was i thinking)
Myskina serve

Ivanovic Forehand
Mirza Forehand
Monica Forehand
Serena Forehand

And I'm pretty good at all of them mainly the backhands since my natural stroke is like theirs and jelena, myskina, and dokic's backhand all look the same. Forehand I went back to my natural shot which is a two handed forehand that I love

LindsayRulz
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Davenport's serve and forehand. Sometimes when my serve is off I try to serve like Serena :)

darrinbaker00
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think it's safe to say that we all have unintentionally copied Dementieva's serve and Venus' forehand..... ;)

Volcana
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I completely re-modeled my serve based on Serena's, and it's way more consistent now.

I tried re-modeling my backhand based on Venus', but it turns out to be hard to run with the racket already drawn back to hit backhands. I can only really use it when I have a lot of time to set up.

mirzalover
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I think it's safe to say that we all have unintentionally copied Dementieva's serve and Venus' forehand..... ;)

You know I dont think people know how useful her slice serve out wide on the deuce court is. I use that serve all time during my school tennis matches mainly when the person i'm playing has a western forehand grip or is tall and has problems getting down low and in doubles its great cause the best they can do is lob or go cross court

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM
In my tennis lessons..I always imitate the grunt of Sharapova and the way those female tennis player serve their ball...
so hilarious:lol:

The Dawntreader
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Sod that, just do the Serena sound effects:lol:

Lulu.
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I always do a helicopter swing on my forehand. I love it :drool:

Shaboinka84
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I learned the game by watching the Williams sisters back in 2002. I taught myself how to play tennis no one coached me until maybe a few months ago. I had Serena's serve and forehand and Venus' backhand (yes the grip and everything). For a while it worked but then everyone noticed I got self conscious and I've changed my strokes. Im working on the Federer forehand and a mixture of backhands from Safin, Nalbandian, Roddick, Agassi, Baghdatis. That side is a little tougher to copy. But I now use a similar style Serena serve. When I watch her matches i know where she's serving when she tosses the ball.

#1Davenport
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Davenport's serve. I just love the motion. And also I have flat strokes like Lindsay's.

-GenEz.Williams
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
i can copy almost the service motion of the top players...
im playing the style serena.. its just motivating me like serena

schorsch
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
hmm, well i use the lasso forehand sometimes that both sharapova and nadal use. when you dont have time it's cool.

then i instinctively switch to the right hand (i am a leftie) to keep the ball in play when i really can't do anything else. like masha

also i like to play sidespin backhand slices like murray :-)

hmm... what else... i tried the juju backhand once hehe... i cant do it lol. i play the double-handed backhand and its my strong wing. so :p whateva.

thelittlestelf
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I tried to copy Lindsay's serve, but her motion is so unique and difficult to replicate that I ended up just looking like an idiot. I had much more success when I tried to copy Serena's serve--her motion is much more simple. For a while I also tried copying Venus' backhand and that worked really well for me (I was never able to get my racquet back as early as she does every time, though), and since then I've added a loop to it which was influenced by Lindsay. My forehand is sort of my own, which is probably why it's worse than my backhand.

Conor
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Justine's backhand - didnt work!
Kimmy's forehand - didnt work! :lol:

Bolt80
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Safin's Forehand - Works pretty well.
Roddick's Serve - Gave me a back & shoulder injury.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I used to play like Jennifer Capriati back in 2002-3. I simultaneously would do the jump and hit groundstroke that she did. It's not like I loved the way she played, because I was and still am a HUGE Venus and Serena fan. I just played like Cappy. Back then, I also did some Kim Clijsters forehands on the run. But I always had the same service motion as V & S (more so like Serena). I used to hit two-handed backhands.

I still play the same, but with a one-handed backhand. I use spins and all that stuff like Justine and Roger.

Orion
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Implicate isn't the word you're looking for. I think you got imitate and duplicate blended together.

laurie
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Sampras' serve, especially the ball toss to the left fo slice and kick.

SelesFan70
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM

I'm 37 and I still do that! :lol: :tape:

Paialii
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:37 PM
My coaches (mainly my father) purposely modeled my game after Serena Williams'. Since I worked with Rick Macci for a few years down at his academy, I actually have the same groundstrokes and serve as her. That was all because her form is flawless when she gets to the ball and sets up.

Perhaps the one shot I've tried "copying" on my own is her backhand dipping crosscourt passing shot. She uses the left wrist and flicks the ball so it has a tremendous angle. I've effectively learned to use that shot....one that no matter how many times you hit it, it surprises your opponent because of its placement.

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Dushevina's forehand grip, NOT GOOD LOL ! And hurt my hand after a while

Nicolás89
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
nicoles and serenas forehand, short reach with great angle shot :)

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Patty Schynder's forehand
Kim Clijster's old backhand

Pretty much, I play with a lot of loops and I get just as annoyed as Patty while playing.
At least my approach shots are flat.

nflatte
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I've found it harder than anything to emulate Davenport's serve. One because I'm definitely NOT towering, two I can't seem to get a high enough jump on the ball, and third I don't toss the ball to a consistent height

mirzalover
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I'm 37 and I still do that! :lol: :tape:

Damn!!!!!!! People on this board are oldler thanI thought

Привет
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM
:lol: I try and copy male and female pros shots all the time just when I'm fooling around practicing.

I have a serve that I like to use that is a little influenced by Vaidisova's serve.
I would love to have Safin's serve, but that would never happen.

I can hit all of Dokic's shots. Well it feels like I'm hitting them similar anyway.
And I've hit with 2 handed forehands before, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I didn't do it because of Seles though, seeing as though I wasn't even watching tennis when she was around and only recently watched a match of hers.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I play exactly like Shahar Peer my shots are pretty much identical and i get everything back!! But my serve is Bammer style!!

brent-o
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM

I know, it's such a tempting habit, isn't it? I catch myself doing it sometimes. While it is extremely effective sometimes, I just feel that it looks ugly and its bad technique. I wish my forehand were more natural like my two-handed backhand is...:sad:

brent-o
Apr 11th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I learned how to hit a two-handed backhand from watching Venus. She is basically what mine is modeled after. I also kind of try to copy Clijsters' forehand cause it looks so cool and lethal. Note, i TRY.

hwanmig
Apr 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Justine's backhand also Kuerten and Gasquet. When I first started to copy their backhands I had to do incredible contortions because of the extreme grip. My backhand is much better now and I do feel it rate's high in the flashy department.

sugimomo
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
maria sharapovas service motion works quite well for me!!!!:)