PDA

View Full Version : WTA needs to add this rule to prevent another Charleston disaster.

Slumpsova
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM
the player who withdraws within a week before qualifying match to start will earn 0 point, and the zero pointer will automatically be included in her best 17 (or 16 or whatever) performance.

what do you think?

Lemonskin.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Good idea, but raise the tournament amount to 20 or so then?

jusanothername
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I can understand Amelie and Sharapova. I don't know about the rest of the field. When they earn so much money pulling out is nothing. Pulling out should for no good reason and in not enough time should mean lost of points from their ranking, it should depend on the tier. The better the tier the more points come off they will sit up,

gelrad
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Then you will get a diffrent problem, unfit players in the draw...

Then you will only pospone the disaster to 1st (or 2nd if a bye) round...

And you will get a weaker tournument since there will be better players (then those that are unfit) out of the draw...

PLP
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I can understand Amelie and Sharapova. I don't know about the rest of the field. When they earn so much money pulling out is nothing. Pulling out should for no good reason and in not enough time should mean lost of points from their ranking, it should depend on the tier. The better the tier the more points come off they will sit up,

Well Justine has a respiratory problem, Sveta has a wrist injury, and Martina has a hip injury. So even if there were a huge penalty I still think all 3 wouldn't have played. :sobbing:

Rules can't stop injuries, and all 3 of the above players developed their problems in Miami (I believe) so they didn't have time to heal 100%.

They do still need to address the schedule, again...because the future roadmap isn't going to help players get injured less. :help:

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Well, shall we get Mauremso to play tanked up to a drip? :rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
they might just turn up and tank.. who knows? and it might make the injury woes even worse..

Brαm
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:43 AM
the player who withdraws within a week before qualifying match to start will earn 0 point, and the zero pointer will automatically be included in her best 17 (or 16 or whatever) performance.

what do you think?
So if say Serena plays a final on Sunday and she falls and breaks her leg, she should be penalized for withdrawing from the following week's tournament? :cuckoo:

Marcus1979
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
thats what I was thinking Bram

what happens with players that injure themselves in the back end of the previous weeks event?

giving them a 0 is harsh

DutchieGirl
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
There's no "easy" way to stop this from happening - besides actually getting the players to schedule smarter, and looking at the tourney schedule for the year (and no, I don't mean crapmap 2009 style either). ;)

timafi
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm sure Ame will gladly come to Charleston holding her side that has been cut open to please ya:rolleyes: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Cp6uja
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM

what do you think?This rule already worked at slams and Miami :devil: .

In future (2009) will be 8 mandatory tournaments (4GS, Miami, IW, China and Madrid) and no more tier-I/II/III/IV like today (will be new system and also no more easy withdraws from tournaments like now).

canoe.
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
they might just turn up and tank.That's what the guys do!

meyerpl
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well, shall we get Mauremso to play tanked up to a drip? :rolleyes:
Hell yes! Bobby Riggs would have done it...... leading a dog around the court on a leash at the same time.

TomTennis
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
well thats all well and good, but its not fair to players who are genuinley injured.

It seems to be a shoe-in on this board that whenever any player withdraws they arent "seriously" injured and can "play through it". They are athletes, if they are injured they CANT play, thats just something we have to accept.

Knocking off points for rankings or increasing penatly money is not the answer, because all the players put there bodies first! shortening the season and lowering the tournament amount is the answer.

Mightymirza
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
well justine withdrew more than a week before right?? :shrug:

Slumpsova
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
So if say Serena plays a final on Sunday and she falls and breaks her leg, she should be penalized for withdrawing from the following week's tournament? :cuckoo:

Serena never play two tournaments in a row :ras:
so do Justine, Amelie, Maria. they all play less than 15 tournaments per year anyway. my rule is effect the diva wannabes like, well you name it...

Brαm
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Serena never play two tournaments in a row :ras:
so do Justine, Amelie, Maria.
Justine: Dubai and Doha 2007
Amélie: Paris, Antwerp and Dubai 2007 (three in a row!)
Maria: Australian Open and Tokyo 2007

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
This isn't a disaster. Some players are injured, and need time off. Forcing them to be in the draw won't make them play well.