PDA

View Full Version : LOL....Watching Aussie Opne 05 Maria v.s. Serena listening to Mary C then!!!!

Wolverines08
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM
lol...she said "if you can't beat her, hit her"....after a point where Serena wins. She also said "this kid's better" refering to Maria!!! HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mary Carillo "You know Serena likes to maintain that the only person that can beat her is her, and i did the same...I don't anymore".
"I think Serena is bother by Sharapova, i don't think Sharapova gives one rip about the other person on the opposite side of the net".

Pam Shriver " I feel lke the 17 year old is totally into the head of Serena right now, she doesn't know how to handle the russian mentally.

Pam & Mary both said the sisters game was in DECLINE!!! She calls Maria's technique BEAUTIFUL!!

Dan23
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
great thread :yeah: :o

LDF
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Riiiiiiight. :o

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
lol...she said "if you can't beat her, hit her"....after a point where Serena wins. She also said "this kid's better" refering to Maria!!! HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

maria won that point, a backhand winner i think:confused: lol form memory

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
what is this madness?!:lol:

Wolverines08
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
great thread :yeah: :o

No, I like Maria alot it's just funny listening to Mary then and then hearing her at the AO 07.

Wolverines08
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM
maria won that point, a backhand winner i think:confused: lol form memory

No, i think i know the one your talking about, but Serena won this one with an overhead.

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM
All i remember in this match is winner after winner from Serena;)

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM

i can remeber error after error :o

LDF
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM

You obviously didn't watch the first set then. :p

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM

:lol: the WHOLE match :o

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Well, i extinguished it from my mind:p :lol:

Serena saving those matchpoints:worship:

LDF
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
:lol: the WHOLE match :o

The last half of the final set wasn't so bad :p

But yeah, it wasn't the highest quality match - the drama and excitement was what made it a classic :yeah:

Louis Cyphre
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
what is this madness?!:lol:

its wtaworld.com :lol:

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM

But yeah, it wasn't the highest quality match - the drama and excitement was what made it a classic :yeah:

yay:lol: lol now when i play tennis and my 'OPPONENT' (dl05):lol: hits a short 2nd serve on the ad court i smack it serena style like on her 2nd MP that she saved

brent-o
I posted about this in the thread Commentary at Its Best. Mary was clearly on something during that match. Can't quote exactly but she said that Maria is one of the better movers in the women's game, volleys better than the other Russians, and that her second serve is superior to Serena's (perhaps she got Serena confused with Venus? Because even when Masha was serving well, her second had nothing on Serena's). It was just all-around FALSE commentary during that match lol

The Dawntreader

Both players were taking big risks though, so at times the shot-making was really impressive:)

Serena wasnt serving that well, so she was having to rely on good movement and those thunderous forehands:worship:

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Both players were taking big risks though, so at times the shot-making was really impressive:)

Serena wasnt serving that well, so she was having to rely on good movement and those thunderous forehands:worship:

wooo her forehands were on fire in the 1st set :o , i remeber she said to herself 'thats not your game' then hit a 124mph serve :bounce:

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
yay:lol: lol now when i play tennis and my 'OPPONENT' (dl05):lol: hits a short 2nd serve on the ad court i smack it serena style like on her 2nd MP that she saved

i love Serena's return off the forehand in the deuce court best:D

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
wooo her forehands were on fire in the 1st set :o , i remeber she said to herself 'thats not your game' then hit a 124mph serve :bounce:

In the first set all Serena's shots were:o

She found more depth and angle though on the forehand and thats what helped her:)

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
'If you can't beat her, hit her'? I'm shocked by Mary C's comment. How can anyone tolerate the Maria's vicious attack on Serena (who was recovering from physical injury). It's very disppointing that the actions of a disturbed young female - who might i add performed a sort of victory dance after the lovely Tatiana golovin twisted her ankle badly - are under rug swept.

She needs help, before does someone real harm. people should not ignore the signs!!

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM
i love Serena's return off the forehand in the deuce court best:D

yeh well... I LOVE SERENA :bounce:

Wolverines08
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I posted about this in the thread Commentary at Its Best. Mary was clearly on something during that match. Can't quote exactly but she said that Maria is one of the better movers in the women's game, volleys better than the other Russians, and that her second serve is superior to Serena's (perhaps she got Serena confused with Venus? Because even when Masha was serving well, her second had nothing on Serena's). It was just all-around FALSE commentary during that match lol

Exactly....lol when she said "these are both 2 Superior Athletes...she said Maria has all the 5 tools....serve, groundies, intensity, movement:eek: :eek: , and will.

raquel
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Mary's commentary during that match was pathetic. And it wasn't un-noticed...

http://www.thegolfblog.com/2005/01/crossing-line.html

crossing the line

Today, I have to cross the line -- over into the tennis world. The reason: I am so peeved by the utterly pathetic and biased commentating of Mary Carillo and Dick Enberg at yesterday's match at the Australian Open between No. 4 Maria Sharapova and No. 7 Serena Williams. It reminded me of 2 things: (1) how easy it is for TV commentators to "pile on" athletes when they're down (just as they did with Tiger) and (2) how much better golf commentary is than tennis.

So here's what happened yesterday, if you missed it. Serena (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus05/news/story?id=1976436) pulled out a gutsy 3-set victory (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/specials/australian_open/2005/01/27/bc.ten.australianopen.ap/index.html)over the rising star Sharapova, (2-6, 7-5, 8-6), which included staving off 3 match points.

But the real story was how biased Mary Carillo (http://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakerbio/Mary_Carillo.php) was. If you didn't know better, you would have thought Carillo was in love with Sharapova, with all the gushy praise she heaped on Sharapova. From the beginning of the match, she emphasized how technically sound Sharapova's form was - from all strokes. But that wasn't enough: Carillo then proceeded to criticize Serena's forehand and serve as being "bad" -- that was her exact word. She also spent about 5 minutes goading her sidekick Dick Enberg and then Pam Shriver to agree with her that Serena's skills are in "decline." She also suggested that Serena should be looking at videotape of her own self, to see how much work she needs. And then Carillo gushed about how great Sharapova's game was, with inane "oohs" and "aahs" from Enberg after her shots.

Of course, it was easy to say all this when Serena was losing the 1st set pretty badly (2-6). But is it fair? I don't think so. Serena is a Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 in the world. Because of injuries and the murder of her half-sister, she hasn't been at the top of her game lately. What really crossed the line was Carillo's constant praise for Sharapova and criticism of Serena. It continued all throughout the match. Only begrudgingly did Carillo say something good about Serena's forehand or serve, after she had laced several winning shots past Sharapova at key moments in the match.

But, at the end, after Serena had just beaten Sharapova, Carillo even had the audacity to say something along these lines: "I think Sharapova is still the better player." Not even the sharp-tongued Johnny Miller would ever say something as biased as that. Someone needs to tell Carillo that the commentator's role is NOT to pick who the "better" players are -- the match determines that.

John.
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Mary Carillo :smash: ^^^^Thanks for the article :yeah:

Wolverines08
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM

crossing the line

Today, I have to cross the line -- over into the tennis world. The reason: I am so peeved by the utterly pathetic and biased commentating of Mary Carillo and Dick Enberg at yesterday's match at the Australian Open between No. 4 Maria Sharapova and No. 7 Serena Williams. It reminded me of 2 things: (1) how easy it is for TV commentators to "pile on" athletes when they're down (just as they did with Tiger) and (2) how much better golf commentary is than tennis.

So here's what happened yesterday, if you missed it. Serena (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus05/news/story?id=1976436) pulled out a gutsy 3-set victory (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/specials/australian_open/2005/01/27/bc.ten.australianopen.ap/index.html)over the rising star Sharapova, (2-6, 7-5, 8-6), which included staving off 3 match points.

But the real story was how biased Mary Carillo (http://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakerbio/Mary_Carillo.php) was. If you didn't know better, you would have thought Carillo was in love with Sharapova, with all the gushy praise she heaped on Sharapova. From the beginning of the match, she emphasized how technically sound Sharapova's form was - from all strokes. But that wasn't enough: Carillo then proceeded to criticize Serena's forehand and serve as being "bad" -- that was her exact word. She also spent about 5 minutes goading her sidekick Dick Enberg and then Pam Shriver to agree with her that Serena's skills are in "decline." She also suggested that Serena should be looking at videotape of her own self, to see how much work she needs. And then Carillo gushed about how great Sharapova's game was, with inane "oohs" and "aahs" from Enberg after her shots.

Of course, it was easy to say all this when Serena was losing the 1st set pretty badly (2-6). But is it fair? I don't think so. Serena is a Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 in the world. Because of injuries and the murder of her half-sister, she hasn't been at the top of her game lately. What really crossed the line was Carillo's constant praise for Sharapova and criticism of Serena. It continued all throughout the match. Only begrudgingly did Carillo say something good about Serena's forehand or serve, after she had laced several winning shots past Sharapova at key moments in the match.

But, at the end, after Serena had just beaten Sharapova, Carillo even had the audacity to say something along these lines: "I think Sharapova is still the better player." Not even the sharp-tongued Johnny Miller would ever say something as biased as that. Someone needs to tell Carillo that the commentator's role is NOT to pick who the "better" players are -- the match determines that.

Great Read!

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
ERRHHHH i hate mary :fiery:

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
That match was a low point in Mary Carillo's career as a commentator, and I think she knows it. Even after Serena won, Mary Carillo actually said Sharapova played better. It ispossible to play better and lose. If your opponent keeps getting flukey netcords or something. But generally, the measure of who plays better IS who wins.

Craigy
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Supergrunt?

.Andrew.
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Mary & Pam :yawn:

.Andrew.
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Supergrunt?

:haha: :lol:

TOTPD! :dance:

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM

oh mary. how could u????

HOW COULD UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUU

maria... a really good mover? she's pretty good but she's not one of the better ones?
really good volleys?
second serve?

serenafann
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Mary's commentary during that match was pathetic. And it wasn't unnoticed...

crossing the line

But the real story was how biased Mary Carillo (http://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakerbio/Mary_Carillo.php) was. If you didn't know better, you would have thought Carillo was in love with Sharapova, with all the gushy praise she heaped on Sharapova. From the beginning of the match, she emphasized how technically sound Sharapova form was - from all strokes. But that wasn't enough: Carillo then proceeded to criticize Serena's forehand and serve as being "bad" -- that was her exact word. She also spent about 5 minutes goading her sidekick Dick Enberg and then Pam Shriver to agree with her that Serena's skills are in "decline." She also suggested that Serena should be looking at videotape of her own self, to see how much work she needs. And then Carillo gushed about how great Sharapova game was, with inane "oohs" and "aahs" from Enberg after her shots.

Of course, it was easy to say all this when Serena was losing the 1st set pretty badly (2-6). But is it fair? I don't think so. Serena is a Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 in the world. Because of injuries and the murder of her half-sister, she hasn't been at the top of her game lately. What really crossed the line was Carrillo's constant praise for Sharapova and criticism of Serena. It continued all throughout the match. Only begrudgingly did Carillo say something good about Serena's forehand or serve, after she had laced several winning shots past Sharapova at key moments in the match.

Very well said, Mary Carillo showed her complete bias and unprofessionalism she has no credibility as a commentator,I was so upset at the time that I mailed complaints to several media outlets.I believe that 05 Aussie commentary should get this rotten hateful woman with her purposely poisonous words and who is a liar and a bully banned from the Tennis Hall Of Fame,unfortunately that won't happen.She is a prime example of the worst example of a lack of integrity in regards to her profession.

brent-o
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Don't forget guys that almost as bad as Mary on the women's side, they have PMac holding up the "most biased commentator" banner in the men's matches. He's so annoying. Seriously, when they put him on a Roddick match, I almost feel like I should turn the TV off so he and Roddick can be alone. Makes me want to write ESPN.

Stamp Paid
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:23 AM
When she said after that match, "I still believe Sharapova is the better player," I was beside myself!

RJWCapriati
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:25 AM
its wtaworld.com :lol:

Yep - not a big deal on this board thats for sure ;)

Denise4925
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM
The only other time I can remember being as angry at a commentator as I was at Mary Carillo is when Chris Evert was commentating on a WS match. I thought I had gone back in time. The end comment about Maria being the better player was just sour grapes and it was obvious, which is why she has not credibility right now, as far as I'm concerned. She can jump on the Serena bandwagon all she wants now and it will never change how I feel about her.

stevos
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Don't forget guys that almost as bad as Mary on the women's side, they have PMac holding up the "most biased commentator" banner in the men's matches. He's so annoying. Seriously, when they put him on a Roddick match, I almost feel like I should turn the TV off so he and Roddick can be alone. Makes me want to write ESPN.

I remember during Miami or something, Dick or Cliff said "Patrick McEnroe will be very upset to see Roddick has retired".

It's possibly the funniest thing to hear him commentate on Andy though :haha: You could cut the sexual tension with a knife :o

serenafann
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM

So true,but don't forget John McEnroe,his biased pro Roddick commentary for the 05 Wimbledon Final[or whenever he covers his matches]was terrible.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM
The only other time I can remember being as angry at a commentator as I was at Mary Carillo is when Chris Evert was commentating on a WS match. I thought I had gone back in time. The end comment about Maria being the better player was just sour grapes and it was obvious, which is why she has not credibility right now, as far as I'm concerned. She can jump on the Serena bandwagon all she wants now and it will never change how I feel about her.

Hell yeah, Mary Carillo is the most two-faced witch commentating in professional sports. She jumps on and off bandwagons quicker than anybody.

brent-o
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Hell yeah, Mary Carillo is the most two-faced witch commentating in professional sports. She jumps on and off bandwagons quicker than anybody.

Yea, she basically picks one player in each match and gushes over them. Makes them sound like the best player in the world.

infinitusone
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:08 AM

crossing the line

wow this is beautiful to read because this is exactly how i feel about this match. i have this match recorded and sometimes will watch it just because of how serena redeemed herself. as far as i'm concerned carrillo is transparent, i never did like her, i've always had a suspicion that she was biased against serena. listening to her commentate on this match proved my suspicion. in general u.s. tennis commentatin is weak. i wish they can develop a technology of just specifically muting the commentating without the rest of the audio. you know, the same as a real live tennis match without commentators.