PDA

View Full Version : Are Venus and Hingis done as real slam contenders?

AcesHigh
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ok ok.. I know many will go :rolleyes: , some Vee fans will say she's just coming back, and some Martina fans will say "How can you group them together? Hingis has been winning Tier 1s and making slam QF's"

BUT....this is a question worth considering. When we mention slam contenders, a lot of people are quick to say "Martina Hingis" or "Venus Williams" Why? Hingis hasn't won a slam in how many years? It's been 8 years!!! She hasn't been to a slam final in 5 years and hasn't been to a semi since that last final appearance.

For Venus, outside of her win in 2005, her performance has been dismal to say the least. 0 slam semi's appearances since her injury in '03. Her last Tier 1 win was in 2004.

It is really hard to say that neither will ever win a slam again. But, in an attempt to be objective, can anyone say they are real slam contenders like Henin, Serena, Mauresmo, Sharapova and others? Even Vaidisova has made 2 slam semi's...while these two vets are struggling in early rounds.

If you think they are real contenders.. why?? Hingis has the consistency but not the game, IMO, to beat top players back-to-back or even players ranked 10-20. Venus has the talent to beat anyone, but her consistency is so terrible that she could beat a top 10 player one day and lose to someone outside the top 100 the next. I just can't see Hingis or Venus realistically winning a slam anytime soon and they're getting old in tennis years, so time is running out.

(btw, i am a huge fan of both and nothing would please me more than to see HIngis and Vee add to their slam count. It just pains me as a fan to expect so much, and then get disappointed. I think it's just time to readjust the standards for these two.)

So what do you think?

lecciones
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I respect Venus a lot and I know she does so well at Wimbledon. Martina is my no.1 forever favourite.

"They both will do major damage at slams again. They are too talented not to " is what i chose.

miss_molik
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Its too hard to tell right now, i mean anything can happen. Think about monica seles' stabbing, alicia molik was on such an upward rise and then she just got struck with vestibular neuronitis. Can't say

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Martina Hingis lacks power and she has a lot problems with 'young guns' and other players who have powerful strokes :shrug: She simply doesn't have any weapon to win a Slam :shrug:

Vee is different story, I think we all remember Wimbledon, if she finds her consistency and I think that sooner or later she will then she will have a great shot on winning another Slam.

LCS
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hingis has got her share of slam glory....Venus on the other hand is always a threat in Wimbledon....but I don't see her winning any other slams besides that one...

A'DAM
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Venus never can't be write of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poova
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmmm, I voted the third option. As much as I dislike them, a Williams sister never can be written off for any Slam.

As for Hingis, I just don't see her winning another. :shrug:

Andy.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Venus can still win slams Im not so sure about Martina

.Andrew.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Never write off a Williams sister, simply. Just look what Serena did at the Australian Open. If Venus gets inspired and more fit, she will always be a contender at a slam. Can't wait to see her at Wimbledon! :bounce:

Martina though lacks so much power. The bigger, stronger players are starting to jump all over She started the year well but since winning Tokyo hasn't been at her best. I think that's it'll be a longshot if Martina wins a GS :sad:

austennis
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM
In MElb this year everyone was saying Martina was big threat for title.. she lost QF pretty good really.. She has also finished runner up in Gold Coast and she was champion in Tokyo tier 1 where she Dementieva & Ivanovic who both played very good there..
Venus pushed world number 2 to 3 sets, and has a win loss record of something like 14-3 (??) some1 please correct that if wrong .. which isnt bad for a player recently returned from injury and she thrased 1 of the most promising players Peer 6-1,6-1 only a few weeks ago

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
In MElb this year everyone was saying Martina was big threat for title.. she lost QF pretty good really.. She has also finished runner up in Gold Coast and she was champion in Tokyo tier 1 where she Dementieva & Ivanovic who both played very good there..

It's an excellent resume by normal standards, but the worrying thing is that after 2006, which was an outstanding first year back on the tour, she hasn't been able to build on that to improve even further. If anything, she was better twelve months ago than she is now. It's not a hopeless situation, but she has to get to winning ways again soon to get her confidence back. She can possibly still do it if the draw opens up for her and if she can play her best tennis if and when the opportunity arises. In the somewhat unlikely event that she would win one soon she will be a bigger threat in the slams that follow it also, because one of her biggest problems now is self-doubt IMO.

Venus is impossible to predict. She might go out in the first round, but if she gets in a groove she may just as easily win all seven matches without losing a set.

GrandSlam05
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
It's an excellent resume by normal standards, but the worrying thing is that after 2006, which was an outstanding first year back on the tour, she hasn't been able to build on that to improve even further. If anything, she was better twelve months ago than she is now. It's not a hopeless situation, but she has to get to winning ways again soon to get her confidence back. She can possibly still do it if the draw opens up for her and if she can play her best tennis if and when the opportunity arises. In the somewhat unlikely event that she would win one soon she will be a bigger threat in the slams that follow it also, because one of her biggest problems now is self-doubt IMO.

Venus is impossible to predict. She might go out in the first round, but if she gets in a groove she may just as easily win all seven matches without losing a set.

The last couple of years I would have totally agreed, but now she's got her little sis to contend with.
IMO it's going to be very hard (except for Justine at the French) for anyone to win a major as long as Serena keeps playing well.

Talula
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I haven't voted. I'd go for option 4, but that doesn't mean they're finished.

jazar
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
they are contenders for most overrated player and that is all

veesbest
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
hingis yes!! venus no.... how can you cant her out of anything now and days becuase you never know what youre going to get when venus comes on court. you can get the consistent venus, or the other venus wacking errors all over the place but still fighting herself and her opponents. as for martina she comes out playing the same game match after match players know what to expect of her they know the serve is weak and has no power.

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Actually, Venus has played so little in 2006-7, it's hard to say. But what I've noticed since her injury at Wimbeldon 2003 is that Venus no longer destroys off-speed players and retrievers. Yes she still beats them, (most of the time) but when forcing Venus to hit a lot of shots every point is now a successful tactic, the way it was in 1997-8, though for different reasons.

Venus does her best against power baseliners. It wasn't an accident that her last three opponents at Wimbledon 2005 were Pierce, Sharapova and Davenport, who are, ultimately, the exact same player. Monstrous baseline hitters, with good to great serves.

I think fewer and fewer players are going to opt to go toe-to-toe with Venus, not because they're intimidated, but because Venus hasn't proven she can keep her errors down consistently. Venus is still a top contender at Wimbledon because of the surface. But without the ability to hit winners across her body on the run, something the damage to her abdomen seems to have robbed her of, Roland Garros seems like a pipe dream.

The other aspect of 'realistic contender' is Serena. Defining someone as a 'realistic contender', right now, would seem to be, can you make a slam final if you DON'T run into Serena first.

Henin and Serena are a class above the rest as slam contenders.
Sharapova and Mauresmo are no threat at RG, but otherwise could always win.
As for the rest, if I had to put real money as Venus winning a slam in the next three years or anybody else, I'd pick Venus, precisely because the ability to outplay her opponent is always there. If she's 'on', she can beat any opponent, even if they're 'on'.

All this is speculative though. I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer til after the US Open. If there's no slam semi this year, I think she'll be entering Mary Pierce 2005 territory. Her best will get her close, but it won't win slams. Onthe evidence I see now, I think her best will still win slams, providing she can arrange for her best to coincide with slams.

starin
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Actually, Venus has played so little in 2006-7, it's hard to say. But what I've noticed since her injury at Wimbeldon 2003 is that Venus no longer destroys off-speed players and retrievers. Yes she still beats them, (most of the time) but when forcing Venus to hit a lot of shots every point is now a successful tactic, the way it was in 1997-8, though for different reasons.

Venus does her best against power baseliners. It wasn't an accident that her last three opponents at Wimbledon 2005 were Pierce, Sharapova and Davenport, who are, ultimately, the exact same player. Monstrous baseline hitters, with good to great serves.

I think fewer and fewer players are going to opt to go toe-to-toe with Venus, not because they're intimidated, but because Venus hasn't proven she can keep her errors down consistently. Venus is still a top contender at Wimbledon because of the surface. But without the ability to hit winners across her body on the run, something the damage to her abdomen seems to have robbed her of, Roland Garros seems like a pipe dream.

The other aspect of 'realistic contender' is Serena. Defining someone as a 'realistic contender', right now, would seem to be, can you make a slam final if you DON'T run into Serena first.

Henin and Serena are a class above the rest as slam contenders.
Sharapova and Mauresmo are no threat at RG, but otherwise could always win.
As for the rest, if I had to put real money as Venus winning a slam in the next three years or anybody else, I'd pick Venus, precisely because the ability to outplay her opponent is always there. If she's 'on', she can beat any opponent, even if they're 'on'.

All this is speculative though. I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer til after the US Open. If there's no slam semi this year, I think she'll be entering Mary Pierce 2005 territory. Her best will get her close, but it won't win slams. Onthe evidence I see now, I think her best will still win slams, providing she can arrange for her best to coincide with slams.

she kind of already has entered into Mary Pierce territory. I.E. she can either the most difficult opponent on tour or the most easiest.
Venus can def. win a slam but I'd say give her the rest of the season (barring some sort of injury) to see if she can find her consistency again. She's been stopping and starting a lot the last 3 years. So I'd say lets see if she can play continously for awhile and see where her game is then.

Hingis just needs to regroup mentally. Even without power Hingis can still win slams (well the FO and AO) and I wouldn't be surprised to see her sneak in a win within the next couple of years.

SoClose
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
venus still can win slam

Experimentee
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Venus has the talent to beat anyone, but her consistency is so terrible that she could beat a top 10 player one day and lose to someone outside the top 100 the next.

When did Venus lose to someone out of the top 100? You make it sound like she does that regularly, but I cant think of any in the last few years.

Venus hasnt had the results because of injuries, but when she is fit and healthy shes always a threat.

Martina has participated in every Slam since her comeback, yet hasnt been a serious contender in any of them. And she seems to be declining recently.

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Of course not. In todays game, it's still open feild. Hingis and Venus are still contenders. With Venus more likely than Hingis to win a slam at the Mo.

AcesHigh
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Okay... ANYONE can win a slam possibly. But realistically, is it really likely?

It's like Elena Dementieva.. she could enter USO or maybe even Roland Garros and possibly win it, if she gets hot for 7 matches because her best is almost unbeatable. So Elena was often a popular darkhorse to win a slam. However, if we're talking about... if you have money on predicting who is going to win a slam.. how many people would u put above Venus and Hingis? Do players like Jankovic, Petrova, Kuznetsova, VAidisova, Peer, etc. have better chances?

IMO, there are favorites (Henin, Serena).. contenders(players like Sharapova, Mauresmo, etc) and dark horses. A contender IMO, is someone you expect to do serious damage.. reach teh final.. or someone who has a good chance of winning the tournament. Can Venus and Hingis return to consistently making QF's, SF's and maybe a slam win somewhere??

I doubt it because of everything everyone mentioned.

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
They're not favourites by any means, but they have the skills, the expeirence to contend. I'm serious when i say it. Even though Venus has been patchy, when i watch her matches, she skill is still there, she can still beat most of those contenders you mention when she is on. She'll need to be on, but she seems focused enough to get there at some point, even if only periodically.

Hingis will have a tougher time, but i was impressed with her in Tokyo and a few matches last year. She can play much better than she has shown recently. But she is taking the time out now to recharge her head, and i think that's been her main weakness so far, her head / confidence.

I'm just saying i for one won't be surprised if either won one soon.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Anyone who regularly makes slam quarterfinals has a huge chance at winning slams, you'd have to be very biased or uneducated to suggest otherwise.

GracefulVenus
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I think they both have as good a chance as any!

AcesHigh
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Anyone who regularly makes slam quarterfinals has a huge chance at winning slams, you'd have to be very biased or uneducated to suggest otherwise.

I'm just saying.. it's been 8 years. Huge chance?? :tape:

I agree that it's possible.. just unlikely. I, like many others, make the mistake of grouping SErena and Venus together too often. Wimby 2005 is the only event since "the injury" that Venus has showed any greatness. IMO, one event is not enough. Serena has pulled the rabbit out of the hat so many times, but has Venus??

When are Venus fans going to stop holding up Wimby 2005 and acting like she can replicate this at any time? Can Venus return for form? Anything is possible. But you are not going to win a slam serving 10 DF's and getting blown away by the likes of Tatiana Golovin.

RJWCapriati
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
too talented not to

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Venus can never be counted out. Martina, however is marginal with her weapons. We won't be seeing her win another slam in her career, sorry, but it's the truth.

hingisGOAT
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Hingis is the better player. Won their last match, leads the head-to-head, higher ranked, better records... so if Venus can win one, Hingis can too. :)

But Venus can't win one :shrug:

Hingis, unlike Venus, has the shot-making ability... but does she have the belief? I'm not sure but it will be fun to watch :)

lecciones
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Venus can never be counted out. Martina, however is marginal with her weapons. We won't be seeing her win another slam in her career, sorry, but it's the truth.

It's okay. You don't have to apologize. It's hard if your the only one who can look into the future.

Slutiana
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Vee OF COURSE!!martina..i have no clue....

Nicolás89
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
venus yes, probably in wimbledon
martina not so much :crying2:

LindsayRulz
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
They both will do major damage at slams again. They are too talented not to.

frontier
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
venus looks like she wants to play in 2007,its too early to dismiss her.she will catch up during the summer.she looks fit interested and above all hungry for more.the more serena succeed the more venus will want to improve.venus is going to win the usa open 2007.
hingis can only win if the draw opens up for her and her chances are good at RG.

azinna
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Too hard to tell right now. Both certainly have the talent and ability to win another. But they are in a mental & physical place right now that has been known to hold on to the best till the end of their careers. We've occassionally seen them play exactly as they should. But when they can do this dependably we'll be able to start a Slam thinking of them as serious contenders. Otherwise, it's about not being foolish enough to write any past champion off...or hoping that either can catch lightening in a bottle....

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I would say the same thing about both players. They might win another slam or they might not. It doesn't get any easier as you get older. Honestly I think the greater likelihood is that they won't. But that doesn't mean that they aren't both still very good players. They will continue to be signifigant contenders in all the slams in which they play and will continue to be formidable opponents to all the top players. But there are alot of great players out there so winning a slam becomes a bit like a lottery for all but the very very top.

Dawn Marie
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hingis is the better player. Won their last match, leads the head-to-head, higher ranked, better records... so if Venus can win one, Hingis can too. :)

But Venus can't win one :shrug:

Hingis, unlike Venus, has the shot-making ability... but does she have the belief? I'm not sure but it will be fun to watch :)

Venus took Hingis to three sets on Vee's least favored surface. The thread isn't about shot making ability nor is it about better player. It's winning grandslams.

Venus won on grass beating 2 great power players in 2005. Hingis last won in 1999. Venus has the shot making ability in slams. She had some great highlights in 05 when she beat Maria and Lindsay.

"U said I'm not sure but it WILL BE fun to watch". U speak in FUTURE tense and Hingis hasn't won a slam in 8 years.

You're post is a load of trash.

Note: I will not count out Martina on clay and Venus has the game to win another US Open and Wimbledon by even beating Serena in the final!

iWill
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Martina Hingis lacks power and she has a lot problems with 'young guns' and other players who have powerful strokes :shrug: She simply doesn't have any weapon to win a Slam :shrug:

Vee is different story, I think we all remember Wimbledon, if she finds her consistency and I think that sooner or later she will then she will have a great shot on winning another Slam.

Really couldn't have said it better myself Venus can beat anyone if her game is on but she is unlike other top player like Serena and Justine where they can play way below their best level and many times can still win but Venus is like fire and ice most of the time shes either going to blow her opponents away or get blown away usually every once in a while she'll have a close match but you dont always see her winning those like you do with Serena and Henin.........................

I can see Venus winning any of the 4 slams honestly but Wimbledon would be her best shot always as far as Hingis goes her game is really good and shes incredibly consistent usually but against other top players that doesnt mean too much because unless they are hitting error after error they will be able to move her off the court and hit winners her best shot would be at RG but she has to be able to beat Henin to win it and I dont see that happening

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
As long as Hingis is thinking about a wedding, she won't win a slam (same with Clijsters) Maybe its time for her to retire and follow Radek on tour.

selyoink
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I don't think either will be winning any slams again.

Everyone always points at Wimbledon 2005 when talking about Venus but that result looks like the anomaly when looking at Venus' slam results since 2004. Other than that slam she has only made the quarters twice at a slam since 2004.

Does Venus still have the ability to win a slam? Probably, but she doesn't often demonstrate that ability.

Max565
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
As long as Hingis is thinking about a wedding, she won't win a slam (same with Clijsters) Maybe its time for her to retire and follow Radek on tour.

Don't think so... Then Justine Henin should have retired ages ago when she was married/engaged to Pierres-Yves...

I think both are going to be formidable opponents in Slams. Especially Venus at Wimbledon and Martina will always have the Australian Open to perform well (as long as Kim's not there!:lol:).

Venus proved that she could pull off the occasional Slam win at Wimby in 2005 whilst Martina had soooo many chances (02 Aus. Open final, 07 Aus Open QF) yet still hasn't won her sixth Slam title. It's her lack of confidence and fitness that is hindering her from another Slam title... not the lack of power or anything... the last time she's really been 'overpowered' by an opponent was at Montreal against Ivanovic last year. Hingis' second best chance is at the French Open I think... because the power players' major weapon - power - will not be a huge threat as it will be on hardcourts or grass. Plus, Hingis will be as hungry for the title to complete a Grand Slam, she grew up on the court, her counterpunching game suits clay and she moves so well on it - compared to Venus.

1jackson2001
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Chances are they won't, IMO. But I think you can never totally count them out, especially Venus at Wimbledon, to be suddenly very hot for 7 matches at a slam.:) So I won't be surprised if never wins another one, or if she does win one or two more...

I still do hold out hope that she completes the career Grand Slam one day though. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I say Venus can but I don't think Hingis can simply because she has to depend on the draw opening up for her....she can't beat the players on top...and hanging with them for a set and a half doesn't mean beating them...it's why she didn't win everything last year....Venus can put together 7 great matches at a GS even if the draw doesn't open up...she can beat them all when she gets red hot....Hingis played good tennis last year and rose so quickly because of the lack of points to defend but as you can see this year is taking a different turn...she's not handling it the same way as last year now that she knows she has to defend....and I agree with who said her planning a wedding will be a hinderance....and to who retorted with JH's situation....JH was never public with anything plus she separates that life from tennis (but a divorce does more)....when Hingis beat MaSha in Tokyo last year everyone was like WOW....but she hasn't since...in fact it has all been blow outs by MaSha since then....if a draw opens up for Hingis I won't be shocked if she wins but if it doesn't then I will be genuinely shocked if she did....when hingis got the quarters of the AO this year and last year she had Kim Clijsters but lost because she couldn't over power Kim especially in view of the fact that Kim is as good a retriever as anyone so Hingis can't hope to outhit her and she most certainly can't tire her out or hope for errors...look what happened after RG....her tournies afterwards weren't that spectacular plus she lost in the 3rd and 2nd rd of the following GS....where as Venus is so inconsistent it's a gamble in itself to even bet on her at this point....if Venus ran through a draw I won't be surprised....seen it too often to be....and you can't write off Wimby 2005 cause it's moment like that which make you know that when she's at her best she's not beatable...probably only by Serena

tonybotz
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
venus proved at wimby never to count her out. when she's on, shes just ...out of this world. hingis would need help, a cushy draw and luck

meyerpl
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Venus Williams will be done as a slam contender when, and only when, she retires from tennis for good.

tennisjunky
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
too bad you cant combine the two. take hingis' construction of points and her consistency and take venus' self belief and amazing first serve and backhand then for sure they would win.

back to reality. they both have a shot. everyone already said it about venus she is up and down and her winning wouldn't surprise anyone just like her losing in the first round wouldn't either. she's hot and cold, but if it doesn't happen in the next two years then it wont happen.

hingis makes qf's all the time. if she can keep that up she is likely to have an easy draw sooner or later. so if she stays consistent its easier seeing her win another major. although with martina it's not all up to her, her opponents have a big say. with venus it's all about her for the most part.

time will tell, it's too early.

SV_Fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM
To be honest I think Venus can once she recover she been out way to long she just has to get her rhythm back and once she does that look out. martina I think she will be a Jelena Janckovic to be honest Semi-Finals and QF's for right now she needs to work alot more then she will win them again.

The real question is Capriati or Demintava.

OZTENNIS
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM
it would be foolish to write off any grand slam champion (as serena showed at the aussie open) let alone two legends of the game

trufanjay
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I think Hingis may be done. Venus does too well at Wimbledon and she can win that anytime she gets ready. No one can stop Venus on grass when she is playing well. The problem with Hingis is the fact that her game is just not aggressive enough at the moment. If a top player is playing well (or even a lower ranked solid player) they can and will beat her. She doesn't command the court like Justine, Serena and Venus do.

She is a very talented player and probably the smartest out there but it just doesn't seem that she has what it takes at this moment to do it again. I may be very wrong but that's how it looks to me. But once Venus gets in form she can do anything, but I don't get the same feeling from Hingis even when she is playing well.

all_slam_andre
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Venus will be a major factor at Wimbledon. On grass, if she is fully firing, only Serena can stop her. However it is very difficult to see her challenging for big titles anywhere else.
I desperately want Hingis to claim that elusive French Open title, but I can't see it. She won't be winning anymore grand slams.

iWill
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think Hingis may be done. Venus does too well at Wimbledon and she can win that anytime she gets ready. No one can stop Venus on grass when she is playing well. The problem with Hingis is the fact that her game is just not aggressive enough at the moment. If a top player is playing well (or even a lower ranked solid player) they can and will beat her. She doesn't command the court like Justine, Serena and Venus do.

She is a very talented player and probably the smartest out there but it just doesn't seem that she has what it takes at this moment to do it again. I may be very wrong but that's how it looks to me. But once Venus gets in form she can do anything, but I don't get the same feeling from Hingis even when she is playing well.

I think its like that with Hingis because she generally is always playing well so for me its hard for me to see her taking her game to any higher level than she already has with Venus though most of the matches she loses she gives them away with UE and not enough consistency on her 1st serve and when she gets rid of those two things and shes moving forward its scary to see how good she really is but she hasnt played enough to get that rythum back.... i see Venus making a move at either Wimbledon or in the USO Series and the USO this year

MH0861
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Venus - no. No matter how bleak her picture looks, I wouldn't count her out after the '05 Wimbledon.

Hingis - yes. The Clijsters-AO match proved it.

starin
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I don't think either will be winning any slams again.

Everyone always points at Wimbledon 2005 when talking about Venus but that result looks like the anomaly when looking at Venus' slam results since 2004. Other than that slam she has only made the quarters twice at a slam since 2004.

Does Venus still have the ability to win a slam? Probably, but she doesn't often demonstrate that ability.

Except for AO '05 Serena never made it past the 4th round of slam.
and she now she has just won the AO and Miami. People have a short memory in tennis.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Venus - no. No matter how bleak her picture looks, I wouldn't count her out after the '05 Wimbledon.

Hingis - yes. The Clijsters-AO match proved it.

Agree!!!;)

TeamUSA#1
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Too early to say, but both will probably sneak away with another slam. Venus will always be a threat at Wimbly just based on the surface alone. Posters here can say a ton of shit about Martina's "lack of firepower", but she has the game to still win. It is all about confidence. Watch her eek out a big win in a slam QF against a qulity top 10er at the AO or Rolland Garros, and she could very well be on her way to another slam.

serenafann
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Venus is still a Slam contender,Martina I think its unlikely in her case so much would have to go right for it to happen,but of course you never know.

mm1147
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Posters here can say a ton of shit about Martina's "lack of firepower", but she has the game to still win. It is all about confidence. Watch her eek out a big win in a slam QF against a qulity top 10er at the AO or Rolland Garros, and she could very well be on her way to another slam.

agree

Marcus Jordan
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I'm just saying.. it's been 8 years. Huge chance?? :tape:

I agree that it's possible.. just unlikely. I, like many others, make the mistake of grouping SErena and Venus together too often. Wimby 2005 is the only event since "the injury" that Venus has showed any greatness. IMO, one event is not enough. Serena has pulled the rabbit out of the hat so many times, but has Venus??

When are Venus fans going to stop holding up Wimby 2005 and acting like she can replicate this at any time? Can Venus return for form? Anything is possible. But you are not going to win a slam serving 10 DF's and getting blown away by the likes of Tatiana Golovin.

Martina has a huge chance especially since she is more consistent at reaching Q/Fs , Venus has a huge chance for a different reason and thats that she plays so well at Wimbledon even when out of form and serving DFs she still is a main contender at Wimbledon. Martina will get in great positions to win slams cos she will almost always be in the QFs where anything is possible.

Tennisation
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:58 AM
their best chance at a slam would be OZ Open for Martina and Wimby for Venus, other than that, I've lost faith in both of them.

lecciones
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Too early to say, but both will probably sneak away with another slam. Venus will always be a threat at Wimbly just based on the surface alone. Posters here can say a ton of shit about Martina's "lack of firepower", but she has the game to still win. It is all about confidence. Watch her eek out a big win in a slam QF against a qulity top 10er at the AO or Rolland Garros, and she could very well be on her way to another slam.

This post is great!! Thanks for it!

selyoink
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Except for AO '05 Serena never made it past the 4th round of slam.
and she now she has just won the AO and Miami. People have a short memory in tennis.

Maybe so but Serena is on another level than Venus is.

Tennisaddict
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hingis IMO is done because she simply cannot overcome a string of good clean aggressive hitting baseliners she may take one or even two out but it won´t be enough to win a slam.

Venus is very erratic right now but if she finds her consistency she can still win Wimbledon and the US Open again.

Demska
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Hingis is done for.

She isn't capible of beating the top players at the current time. AO showed us that agaisnt Kim. She has a good game, and is consistant at getting through the early rounds, but QF's is all for her, maybe a SF if she's lucky.

Venus sure is. Like Serena she needs a few more months,tournmanets or a year to calm her erratic form and really get into the game again. When she finds her form, I think she could win another.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:30 PM
agree with the those posts :D

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 10th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hingis is done. Venus on the other-hand is a question mark, she lack the desire to give a full commitment to tennis, rather it's retooling her game with outside help or practicing to keep the ball in the lines against varied of different shot and working on her technique.
Also I feel that tennis has become more of a duty to Venus, she once stated that she want to retire until Serena retire, so they can retire together.
Therefore if she continues to half-ass her commitment then I would consider her done as a real slam contender, as we all see now players want allow Venus to get away with coming on court with less then 100% effort .

Kunal
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
i hope not