PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a 5th Grand Slam title?

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Should there be a 5th Grand Slam title?

I can't see any downside to this. Grand Slam tennis is a million times more interesting than other tournaments. This long stretch between the Australian Open and French Open has been extremely boring, especially boring on the robotic men's tour.

What do you think and where do you suggest it should be played? :confused:

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:44 AM
btw i'm in favor of shortening the season, maybe have a REALLY long break after US Open, so 5 slams won't hurt the players physically. More quality tennis, less quantity.

Dani12
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Maybe. But I don't think it'd go down too well. Plus it wouldn't be as pretigious as the tournaments that have been going on for 100 plus years. Won't happen, but would be cool. Russia should have it! ;)

Rod the Bama
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I`m against a 5th slam. I like things the way it is currently.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:47 AM
How long has the Oz Open been goin for, thats pretty new compared to the others i think

Orion
Ummmm...no.

Firstly, we're trying to shorten the season. Adding another 7-match (best of 5 for men) tournament isn't conducive to health. Secondly, what surface do you propose? Not many people actually LIKE carpet, and it's difficult to get a complex large enough for two 128 player draws, two 64 team draws, one 32 team draw, plus juniors, over two weeks, all indoors. Making it clay swings the balance of importance towards baseliners even more (something everyone is trying to alter). Making it grass swings the balance towards big servers (which is even worse). Making it on hardcourts just pounds the body too much. Thirdly, the grand slams are worth so much because of tradition, not because of arbitrary, contrived decisions. The Australian, US, French, and British championships have been contested forever. It's a natural extension of history to make those four the sites of the biggest tournaments. Russia, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Sweden, etc. didn't have a tennis tradition until much, much later. And although the British haven't produced a slam champion in decades, no-one would deny that Wimbledon is among the most iconic events in any sport.

LindsayRulz
No.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM
And there should be no tennis played from October - early January. So the players will have a good break. Similar length to NBA off-season.

Direwolf
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:55 AM
hopefully not...
cuz its like you have more chances to win a grandslam..
then steffi grafs record would be easier to break...!!!

Isnt making IW n Miami mandatory enought ??
but you know... the USTA , if they make their own tour...
I think that they would build a grandslam of their own..

I would rather lenthen the grass season rather than
making another grandslam...
I mean...everyone plays good on grass...
you want QUALITY, bring on the grass...
has lots of fantastic matches over the years....

piercerocks
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:58 AM
no unless they invent a new surface..lol

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Carpet

Dani12
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
How long has the Oz Open been goin for, thats pretty new compared to the others i think

Over 100 years ;)

serena_fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Nooooooo0

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Over 100 years ;)

buh i think it wasnt a grand slam till the 80s or somthn:hearts:

Sexysova
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Yes :)

RJWCapriati
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:11 AM
no

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
No for several reasons

-It wouldn't be fair towards past and present champions who can only compete in four slams. Fans of future greats would argue that their faves are better because they won more slams. :lol:

-The more slams there are, the less prestigious each one of them becomes. The reason that a grand slam title is so valuable is that it's so hard to win one, and the more slams you have, the more players will win one.

-You can't force a tournament down people's throats anyway simply by telling them it's a slam. The most important component would be missing: tradition.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM
That's news to me. Many of the top players didn't compete in the Aussie Open before the 80's because at the time it was held during the holiday season in December, but it was always a slam.

CuteLatinGirl
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM
The most important component would be missing: tradition.

Exactly, these "Big 4" are synonymous of prestige so you cannot take
any tournament and turn it into another Grand Slam...

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I'm for a break from Nov to December, with the FedCup final and YEC's played in October.

By the way, some people on Bodo's site suggested a 5th slam in Asia to boost the sport there. Me, I'm against adding another. Let there be some traditions that stand in this game...

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
By the way, some people on Bodo's site suggested a 5th slam in Asia to boost the sport there.
If that would happen it wouldn't be long before we had a 6th one to boost the sport in Africa. But anyway, they should have given the YEC to Asia if they want to boost the sport there.

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM

The Australian (and sometimes the French Open) didn't always have the same quality field as Wimbledon or the US until the early 80's, and in some ways didn't truly get a full field until the 90's. A lot of serve-and-volleyers skipped the Australian, and Graf skipped it a bunch. Kind of how Wimbledon loses a lot of the dirtball men.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM
If that would happen it wouldn't be long before we had a 6th one to boost the sport in Africa. But anyway, they should have given the YEC to Asia if they want to boost the sport there.

They did! In 06 and for the near future it'll be in Shanghai. I was sad that they moved it from New York and Los Angeles (even though Staple Center was the wrong venue for it -- but Carson would be terrific).

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM
The Australian (and sometimes the French Open) didn't always have the same quality field as Wimbledon or the US until the early 80's, and in some ways didn't truly get a full field until the 90's. A lot of serve-and-volleyers skipped the Australian, and Graf skipped it a bunch. Kind of how Wimbledon loses a lot of the dirtball men.

More than serve and volleyers skipped the AO in the old days. Few non Aussie's wanted to play in late December because of the holidays.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
They did! In 06 and for the near future it'll be in Shanghai.
Oops, my mistake. I thought that from now on it would be played in Madrid?

Maria Croft
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Yes!

If they could fit it in properly, I don't want the season to be longer, but an indoor slam in Asia or something like that would be awesome :D

Calypso
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Yes. In Japan. Australia should not hide under the 'Asia-Pacific' tag, I think Asia deserves a Slam of its own. Japan or China should host a Slam.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I agree Japan or China. That is such a highly populated part of the world it desperately needs a slam.

die_wahrheit
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
WTA should give the YEC some bonus points and it would be ...
YEC gives a good girl more than a million dollar. That's as much or even more than a Grand Slam tournament gives.

jazar
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
no way

GoDominique
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Yes.

And a 6th and a 7th too. :)

Louis Cyphre
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah!!! Lets make every tournament a Grand Slam tournament :yeah:

lecciones
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
It'll ruin a lot of records :P lol

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Well somethings got to be done, cos this period between the OzOpen and RG is so BOR-RING...

miss_molik
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
no

LCS
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
No...oh 4 is a good number...:D And it's all about history...grand slams you know...do you see a blank in history where you could fit a new GS??1 I dn't think there is...

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
New Grand Slam every week!!!!!!!

John.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
No

TaxPower
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
It's too late. There is too much history with the 5 first. It would never be the same thing. But the AO date should change

GrandSlam05
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
No, but they should change the Oz Open surface from rebound ace back to grass.

.Andrew.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Nope.