PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Martina Hingis already passed her peak and won't win a grand slam again?

samsam4087
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Do you think Martina Hingis already passed her peak and won't win a grand slam again?

selyoink
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:11 AM
She has most definitely already passed her peak. I can't see how she will win a slam. She would need a great draw and semi-depleted field to do so. Even then I don't think she would be able to win one.

Rod the Bama
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I think Martina has peaked. I think she`s at the point where she`ll win a tournament every now and then, but i can`t see her winning another grand slam singles title with so many talented andm in a lot of cases, younger players. Plus some of those players are able to constantly attack Martina`s most glaring weakness, which is her lack of defense against power.

mm1147
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:20 AM
i hope she can at least win the french open:)

BarsonlyOne
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:35 AM
i will never lose hope. ill be there till the end.:tears: :tears:

serena_fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM
No

RJWCapriati
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM
She will win 1 more

Sexysova
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Yes!

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I think she'll win a few more, hopefully more than Serena including Roland Garros this year.

Goai
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM
She could still win another. But not this year.

PLP
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Yes, but it depends on how much she wants it...How hard is she willing to work for it>Only time will tell, I don't even care really, I just want her to play up to HER level, which she is far below at the moment.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I want to refer to a great post from yesterday regarding Hingis.

I agree. All players have the best months or years in their careers and they also have bad times with no exception... and that´s why i can understand and accept better Martina´s losses. She and many others had their time, they dominated, and now as amazing players they were they keep playing well, but not with the same ambitions... The same will happen to the new players, Sharapova, Vaidisova, Peer, Kuznetsova... They may dominate or at least win grand slams but at a certain point of their careers they will start to win less tournaments.

I think this sums up where Hingis is right now but also reflects a rare great perspective from a Hingis fan. Hingis is still playing some very very good tennis. She is still winning important tournaments. But she isn't unbeatable and she is going to have weeks to where she gets beat by lower ranked players. Her days of being the dominate player in the game are long over.

She might add another Grand Slam to her career but the likelihood is very much that she won't. But it is clear she is enjoying competing and relishing the challenge of being on the tour where she isn't the top banana. 3 or 4 years ago I'm not sure her ego could have handled that, now it is clear she can so credit to her.

I think most Hingis fans need to revise their expectations a bit. Enjoy the wins. Accept the losses. And just be glad she is playing again. That is what Hingis herself seems to be doing.

jazar
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM
she peaked about 7 years ago

BarsonlyOne
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM
as many of her fans can only see her on TV, early losses in tournaments to lower ranked players means there is no matches of hers to watch. no matches with other top players. 3 tournaments in row in which i wanna cheer her on, and she loses early, leaves little or close to that motivation to watch (THANKS SERENA!). so even if shes playing, but loses early, its only scoreboards we can cheer for, we still cant see her play.

Marshmallow
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Maybe past her peak, but she is still capable of pulling out a slam is she can get her head together. With Kim clijsters not there to stop her at the french, Hingis could make her mark.

starin
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
meh..she's hit her first bump in the road on her comeback road. She is still a top five player, she'll prob. win one more slams. The draw has to open up for her at some point.

Schnyderfreak
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I think most Hingis fans need to revise their expectations a bit. Enjoy the wins. Accept the losses. And just be glad she is playing again. That is what Hingis herself seems to be doing.

I personally don't think that her game level has gone down that much.
She still plays her own typical very good game of tennis.
The good thing is that between her dominant era and now the WTA level has improved immensely, which is very good for us as fans and watchers.

the sad thing is that the return of Martina has not been the return of the dominant hingis but of a top 5 Hingis which is still nothing to be ashamed of.

she has suffered psychologically from the double losses against Hantuchova and has not been the same yet.It would be typical if she rises up to the occasion and be strong from berlin untill after Wimbledon again cuz there's where the big points are being lost or made not here and now.

John.
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Her slam winning days have long gone.

The Dawntreader
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
her peak year was a decade ago.........

Marcus Jordan
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone who regularly makes slam quarterfinals has a huge chance at winning slams, you'd have to be very biased or uneducated to suggest otherwise.

Fantastic
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I find this a difficult question to answer because a player can be past their peak and still win Grand Slam titles. To answer the first part of the question, YES, I do believe that Martina Hingis is past her peak - she was at her peak in 1996-1997. But to answer the second part of the question, YES, I do believe that Martina Hingis can win another Grand Slam.

My reasoning is this - She's still young, agile and healthy. She's a champion. Champions find a way to win.

Steffi Graf was way past her peak (IMO, 1988-1989) when she won all those Grand Slam titles of hers, including the 1999 French Open. Martina Navratilova was well past her peak (IMO, 1984-1986) when she triumphed at Wimbledon in 1990. Serena Williams, while as young as Hingis, is also past her peak (IMO, 2002-2003), and managed Grand Slam wins in 2005 and 2007. Throw in Venus Williams and her 2005 Wimbledon win as well. Admittedly, all these players are/were physically stronger and more athletic than Martina Hingis, but they also rose to the task of fending off all challengers laid before them.

Give Martina Hingis a chance. She is only a year and a half into her comeback. Jennifer Capriati needed four years into her comeback before winning the Australian Open in 2001. She's another player who was past her peak (and remarkably) before winning her first Grand Slam title. Her peak years were 1990-1991. Prodigies often peak early (like Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati) but then their resilience and fighting courage takes over. And that's what turns them into champions.

JackFrost
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Well she is still a very dangerous dark horse in the grand slams. But nontheless I donīt see her winning one, if the top players are playing.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Her problem is that she was born at the wrong time. That a player of her type achieved as much as she did in the age of power tennis is remarkable IMO.

Martian Jeza
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Her problem is that she was born at the wrong time. That a player of her type achieved as much as she did in the age of power tennis is remarkable IMO.

Being born in 1980 is the best time of being born :p

lecciones
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I find this a difficult question to answer because a player can be past their peak and still win Grand Slam titles. To answer the first part of the question, YES, I do believe that Martina Hingis is past her peak - she was at her peak in 1996-1997. But to answer the second part of the question, YES, I do believe that Martina Hingis can win another Grand Slam.

My reasoning is this - She's still young, agile and healthy. She's a champion. Champions find a way to win.

Steffi Graf was way past her peak (IMO, 1988-1989) when she won all those Grand Slam titles of hers, including the 1999 French Open. Martina Navratilova was well past her peak (IMO, 1984-1986) when she triumphed at Wimbledon in 1990. Serena Williams, while as young as Hingis, is also past her peak (IMO, 2002-2003), and managed Grand Slam wins in 2005 and 2007. Throw in Venus Williams and her 2005 Wimbledon win as well. Admittedly, all these players are/were physically stronger and more athletic than Martina Hingis, but they also rose to the task of fending off all challengers laid before them.

Give Martina Hingis a chance. She is only a year and a half into her comeback. Jennifer Capriati needed four years into her comeback before winning the Australian Open in 2001. She's another player who was past her peak (and remarkably) before winning her first Grand Slam title. Her peak years were 1990-1991. Prodigies often peak early (like Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati) but then their resilience and fighting courage takes over. And that's what turns them into champions.

Great post I agree so much. :cry:

and to think that Martina never muscled her way in her wins during an era of power players is brilliant.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I think she'll win a few more, hopefully more than Serena including Roland Garros this year.

hahaha are you serious:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beny
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM
it`s kinda funny....I think Martina doesn`t have to be in her peak form to win a slam...but I don`t think she will :p
but Serena or Justine for example, they can be in 50%form and still win a slam..

Kunal
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
unfortunately im feeling that way.....but hingis's talent is undeniable so u never know

Slutiana
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I personally don't think that her game level has gone down that much.
She still plays her own typical very good game of tennis.
The good thing is that between her dominant era and now the WTA level has improved immensely, which is very good for us as fans and watchers.

the sad thing is that the return of Martina has not been the return of the dominant hingis but of a top 5 Hingis which is still nothing to be ashamed of.

she has suffered psychologically from the double losses against Hantuchova and has not been the same yet.It would be typical if she rises up to the occasion and be strong from berlin untill after Wimbledon again cuz there's where the big points are being lost or made not here and now.

its just that everyones has gone up and the field isnt as weak as it used to be....

Marcus Jordan
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Hingis will almost always be in the QFs of slams so its very easy for an upset or injury to top players (there aren't many players ranked ahead of Hingis) make her path clear to win slams.

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Being a fan of hers..I'm worried about her winning of slams..
she lost to Hantuchova twice and also Radwanska...
and she now withdrew FCC

I hope she can regroup and win a slam, Most importantly, RG!:)

LUIS9
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Yes, but it depends on how much she wants it...How hard is she willing to work for it>Only time will tell, I don't even care really, I just want her to play up to HER level, which she is far below at the moment.

Precisely! Perhaps she'l work a bit harder on the things she needs to get fixed in order to give herself more chances of being succesful day in and out on tour these days. One of it being her fitness, her stamina is pretty pathetic and she knows staying away from the gym is not something she can afford for much longer unless she just doesn't care anymore.

Polikarpov
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM
How long ago was 1997? 10 years?

She was already 9 years beyond her peak.

soul
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I think the main point of Hingis' poor performance is playing so many tournaments. The first year of return it could be acceptible but now this is the second year and she should be more selective about the tornaments. She is not any more her 19s so shee needs energgy more tthan ever if it is thought that the power girls around the tour.And also she should not play doubles anymore since she has laready proved how such an elegant doubles player she is.Finally her coach shoul be with her with the tournaments. It does not matter how old she is. (I rememeber Steffi at the tournamnets wanted seein Hans Günhard sitting there)It must be sth different for players seeing their coaches siiting in the boxes.
So, as a result if Martina takes care of these points Im definetel sure she will be on her peak and will be unbeatable.

Kart
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
You can never say never with a player of Martina's calibre but I think she would need a larger slice of luck than several other players to win a slam.

Sadly I think she has passed her peak - but I don't think we ever got to see what she was really capable of.

A combination of prolonged tour absence (which seems to have had as much to with a lack of desire to improve her game as it did to do with her foot injury) deprived us of seeing her rise to the rising challenges of the Henin-Clijsters era.

Mikey B
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
she would need a really good draw to win a slam, and hopefully for her all the top players would have been eliminated early!!!

but i dont think its impossible for her to win...

if someone can do a 'vaidisova' at this years french in the later stages then martina wont hessitate to walk into the final... plus without kim she might make it past the quarters!!!

papru
Apr 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
she peaked loooooooooooong time ago :yawn:
there are young fighters on the arena :rocker:

lecciones
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I think the main point of Hingis' poor performance is playing so many tournaments. The first year of return it could be acceptible but now this is the second year and she should be more selective about the tornaments. She is not any more her 19s so shee needs energgy more tthan ever if it is thought that the power girls around the tour.And also she should not play doubles anymore since she has laready proved how such an elegant doubles player she is.Finally her coach shoul be with her with the tournaments. It does not matter how old she is. (I rememeber Steffi at the tournamnets wanted seein Hans Günhard sitting there)It must be sth different for players seeing their coaches siiting in the boxes.
So, as a result if Martina takes care of these points Im definetel sure she will be on her peak and will be unbeatable.

You can never say never with a player of Martina's calibre but I think she would need a larger slice of luck than several other players to win a slam.

Sadly I think she has passed her peak - but I don't think we ever got to see what she was really capable of.

A combination of prolonged tour absence (which seems to have had as much to with a lack of desire to improve her game as it did to do with her foot injury) deprived us of seeing her rise to the rising challenges of the Henin-Clijsters era.

Commendable posts! :) Thanks for your insights! :)

Veritas
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I agree with this - there was so much potential for Martina's game to span wider. You could say the same for many other players, but I felt it's unique in Martina's case. Her game is so fine tuned, it'll take a lot of depth for others to come up with something similar.

It sounds simplified, but all Hingis had to do was improve her fitness. Just working on the cardio didn't cut it and Martina never was slack when it came to covering the court. Building bulk takes more work and patience - the latter was what I felt she lacked. But you could hardly blame her since the type of game she's got worked well for so long, she probably didn't feel panicked enough to do something dramatic.

I think Martina knows what's required. She's had over a year to experience the 'new game' and I'm sure some of the disappointments would've sunk in. But whether she wants to go the extra mile and stick to the work is another matter. She's certainly capable of winning another slam (her losses to top players have often been tight and could've gone either way) though :)

barmaid
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I agree with this - there was so much potential for Martina's game to span wider. You could say the same for many other players, but I felt it's unique in Martina's case. Her game is so fine tuned, it'll take a lot of depth for others to come up with something similar.

It sounds simplified, but all Hingis had to do was improve her fitness. Just working on the cardio didn't cut it and Martina never was slack when it came to covering the court. Building bulk takes more work and patience - the latter was what I felt she lacked. But you could hardly blame her since the type of game she's got worked well for so long, she probably didn't feel panicked enough to do something dramatic.

I think Martina knows what's required. She's had over a year to experience the 'new game' and I'm sure some of the disappointments would've sunk in. But whether she wants to go the extra mile and stick to the work is another matter. She's certainly capable of winning another slam (her losses to top players have often been tight and could've gone either way) though :)

Realistically speaking Martina has hit a "snag" in her game. She has addressed this disappointment "I hate losing to players I normally would win against, I need to refocus, clear my head and get my game back on track":bounce: Martina has hit a comfort zone in her life as well, being engaged:kiss: leaves one somewhat complacent on the tennis courts:rolleyes: tennis wise, she needs to really "light a fire" under her ambition and goals:fiery: To me, she already missed a chance at the AO this year.:sad: ..she let Kim off the hook and I think she would have advanced to meet Serena in the final as Maria was "ripe" for the taking. So I'm hoping she recharges her batteries and gives it her all for the up-coming clay tournaments and RG!:hearts: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Volcana
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM
The problem isn't that she's past her peak. It's that her 'peak' isn't high enough. At her best, she's simply not as good as Venus, or Serena, or Henin, or Sharapova, or Mauresmo, or Kuznetsova, or ....

It's been eight YEARS since she won a slam, and five years since she's been in a slam final. By comparison, while Davenport didn't win a slam after 2000, she made two finals in 2005.

The Illusion of Youth masks many things. Being really good when you're young is too often assumed to mean you'll be superior when you're older. For example, Hingis made her last slam final at a younger age than Navratilova made her first. Yet there's no question who turned out to be the superior player. For that matter, the same is true when you consider Venus or Henin. It took them longer to master their particular skillsets than Hingis, but once they did, they were better than Hingis.

I think Hingis is better now than she's ever been. ie, the 2007 Hingis would beat the 1997 Hingis. But ever-changing racket tech, and all those Seles-clones maturing, have combined to create a tour where Hingis' skillset simply isn't adequate to the task. Or rather, what she chooses to do with that skillset isn't adequate. As has been much discusses on the board, both her mother and her fiance have told her to hit the gym and up her strength and fitness level. The question is whether she wants to win aother slam more than she hates the gym.

spencercarlos
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
The problem isn't that she's past her peak. It's that her 'peak' isn't high enough. At her best, she's simply not as good as Venus, or Serena, or Henin, or Sharapova, or Mauresmo, or Kuznetsova, or ....

It's been eight YEARS since she won a slam, and five years since she's been in a slam final. By comparison, while Davenport didn't win a slam after 2000, she made two finals in 2005.

The Illusion of Youth masks many things. Being really good when you're young is too often assumed to mean you'll be superior when you're older. For example, Hingis made her last slam final at a younger age than Navratilova made her first. Yet there's no question who turned out to be the superior player. For that matter, the same is true when you consider Venus or Henin. It took them longer to master their particular skillsets than Hingis, but once they did, they were better than Hingis.

I think Hingis is better now than she's ever been. ie, the 2007 Hingis would beat the 1997 Hingis. But ever-changing racket tech, and all those Seles-clones maturing, have combined to create a tour where Hingis' skillset simply isn't adequate to the task. Or rather, what she chooses to do with that skillset isn't adequate. As has been much discusses on the board, both her mother and her fiance have told her to hit the gym and up her strength and fitness level. The question is whether she wants to win aother slam more than she hates the gym.
5 years since she last reached a final, but you dare to count her 3 and half retired years ? :lol:

Once again i agree with your post, in some way, her peak game is not enough to win a grand slam these days. She has to rebuild, not easy. And she is not helping herself either. So...

And i don´t agree with the 2007 vs 1997 comparisson, she was more agressive, she would go for her shots a lot but lot lot more before than she is since her mid 2006. Still the best i have seen her play was the end of 2000 and start of 2001, no wonder she beat everybody out there Venus Serena Lindsay Monica, Jennifer. She has become passive, waiting for mistakes, not even going for deep balls. That is why she is losing matches that she should win.

tennis_pIayer
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
being engaged doesn't help with motivation. she'll probably spend too much time on her back rather than on her feet

samsam4087
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Martina Hingis made me very disappointed after her 3rd round loss in Wimbledon 2007.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:23 AM
She'd need A LOT of luck,ie, draw, upsets, no shows, etc, etc. I seriously doubt she has enough in the tank to pull it off. I was thinking this was her year for RG, but... :shrug: It's too bad, really. But I just don't think she has the weapons to do it.

FaileBashere
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I voted no, but if there's one thing Serena and Venus taught us, it is never underestimate a champion. And Hingis is a champion.

Serenita
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
her peak is long gone

mankind
Jul 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately her peak was around 16/17. She's still a brilliant player, but just not powerful enough.

Calypso
Jul 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Sadly for Martina, she might need a bit of luck with the draw to win a Slam again.

I just don't see her getting past a string of 'power-hitters' in the 2nd week of a
Slam, and it seems like there are a lot more big-hitting girls out there than a few
years ago when she only had to contend with the Sisters, Davenport and maybe Capriati.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
These days she doesn't even seem likely to get through the earlier stages, i mean she ahsn't even made a semi on her return. I voted yes, because i can't see her ever winnign another slam again. Venus, Serena, Justine, Ivanovic, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Jankovic and others all have better chances.

CORIA01
Jul 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
She Is Champion
I Am Sure She Can Win Another One!

hingis44
Jul 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I am completely D agreement with you. It is necessary to benefit from each tournament and each match qu it gains. And me I do not believe qu it will take his retirement in at the end of 2007 as much thinks, it will still test a year, because it has largely the capacities to gain L Open D Australia and especially Roland Garros, this ground which resists to him as much. But if the physique follows has 100%, it can show us beautiful things. Like she even says it she, I am happy to play tennis and would satisfy me to gain beautiful tournaments __________________

Steffica Greles
Jul 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
LOL!

Martina Hingis couldn't win slams when many claimed she was at her peak, from February 1999- March 2002, so it's highly unlikely that an even more tame Martina Hingis has what it takes.

Personally I don't think she'll be playing beyond the end of 2008 at any rate, and she might give up again this autumn.

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2007, 12:37 PM
LOL!

Martina Hingis couldn't win slams when many claimed she was at her peak, from February 1999- March 2002, so it's highly unlikely that an even more tame Martina Hingis has what it takes.

Personally I don't think she'll be playing beyond the end of 2008 at any rate, and she might give up again this autumn.

:mad:

lecciones
Jul 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
LOL!

:mad: