PDA

View Full Version : Why on earth is Tatiana Golovin playing so well now?

samsam4087
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Why on earth is Tatiana Golovin playing so well now?

Slutiana
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
i really dont get why people are saying she was on a slump...she got to the semis of antwerp, quarters of IW (i know she lost to bammer but quarters are still quite good) and 3rd round of Miami (thats pretty bad but she probably just had a bad day at the office everyone has them!)

Fired
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Confidence. Plus she's healthy now.

FrenchY52
Because it had to happen one day :shrug:
She's been working so hard to reach that level after her injuries..

Craigy
Why don't you go ask her.
:lol:

John.
She also got to the SF of Miami last year, twisted her ankle in that match, missed the clay and grass season. Then reached the QF of USO & Final of Stuttgart before getting injured again.

2006 could have been even better for it had it not been for the injuries :shrug:

Nicolás89
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
lol at you three having the same avatar :lol:

like someone said is the confdence of beating and trashed someone like venus, and winning a thriller and the first to ana

FrenchY52
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM
lol at you three having the same avatar :lol:

like someone said is the confdence of beating and trashed someone like venus, and winning a thriller and the first to ana

You mean You FOUR :help:

égalité
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Three avatars in a row of her holding the AI trophy :lol:

She's been playing this well for the past year. She just finally put enough good matches in a row to win a tournament :hearts:

selyoink
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Because she is a pretty good player

mboyle
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:44 AM
To me she is an obvious top ten player.

Njay16
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM
She has played well RECENTLY but I think she still has some improving to do to become top ten. She has choked in some of her past matches. The real test will be to see if she can keep her level of play up in Charleston.

Pheobo
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Roland Garros will be most telling of where she's really at (if she stays healthy)

I'm very happy for her though :)

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM
She also got to the SF of Miami last year, twisted her ankle in that match, missed the clay and grass season. Then reached the QF of USO & Final of Stuttgart before getting injured again.

2006 could have been even better for it had it not been for the injuries :shrug:
The main reason she is playing better is because she lost weight and has improved her footwork.

miffedmax
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Tati has been poised for a breakthrough for the last two years or so. Injuries and some head issues have held her back some, but she's always had lots of talent. Glad to see her breakthrough, as she's one of my favorite players who's initials are not ED, AM or VW.

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM
She's been top 30 since she was what, 16? She got injured at inopportune times for her career and game two consecutive years. She's got the game to play on clay (she's a RG mixed doubles champion already) and missed out on clay season last year, so she's kind of making up for lost ground. It's good to see, since I was concerned she would stall in the 20-30 range. Glad she's not Kirilenko 2.0.

Direwolf
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM
because she was given a good draw...
she owns Petrova,
owns Venus on green clay...
a Stosur who is trying to have a career on singles...
Ivanovic who owns her suddenly couldnt
get a point having a game/break point...

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:33 AM
The main reason she is playing better is because she lost weight and has improved her footwork.

The footwork in particular is important. Part of why her ankles were vulnerable to injury the past two years was because she didn't move to the ball properly. I do think the weight was partially from being out of action, but she's looking very determined to play like a top player now. Good news, since she can definitely help bring some exposure to tennis.

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM
because she was given a good draw...
she owns Petrova,
owns Venus on green clay...
a Stosur who is trying to have a career on singles...
Ivanovic who owns her suddenly couldnt
get a point having a game/break point...

I don't think there's anyone besides you who would argue that facing Venus on any surface and Petrova on clay is a good draw for anyone. That's a rough draw for Henin, even, who's twice the clay-courter Golovin is.

Direwolf
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM
I don't think there's anyone besides you who would argue that facing Venus on any surface and Petrova on clay is a good draw for anyone. That's a rough draw for Henin, even, who's twice the clay-courter Golovin is.

stupid... y would argue with you about that..???
I really dont know what Venus you are talking about...
this is not like the Venus in the FINAL of Memphis
who would hit winner after winner and not make any UE at all...
she is afterall coming from an injury...

Tati has a 1-0 advantage against NAdia on green clay..
Nadia has trouble with Tati...
Nadia is a very good clay court player..
but its not like she's gonna win all the clay tournys
that shes gonna enter...

If Golovin is half the clay courter Henin is...
then that would make her one of the best there is...

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I really dont know what Venus you are talking about...
this is not like the Venus in the FINAL of Memphis
who would hit winner after winner and not make any UE at all...
she is afterall coming from an injury...

It makes no difference if this was the Venus of 2002 or the Venus of 2006. Is there a person alive who is pleased about playing Venus in a tournament? No. Why? She's streaky. There's an equal chance you'll get demolished as take her apart. And I repeat: she wouldn't have won Memphis if she weren't capable of playing well coming off of an injury. It's not a legitimate line to give that "she's back" after winning a tournament, only to say "she's coming back from an injury" when she gets taken apart in the next tournaments. Venus without much match practice is more dangerous an opponent than half the top 50 at full health.

Tati has a 1-0 advantage against NAdia on green clay..
Nadia has trouble with Tati...
Nadia is a very good clay court player..
but its not like she's gonna win all the clay tournys
that shes gonna enter...

Regardless of Golovin's record with Petrova, Petrova WAS the favorite in this match. She's a defending champion, last years Queen of Clay runner-up, and a top 10 player. Furthermore, EVERYONE is going to lose some matches. That doesn't mean that a player doesn't have to play well to beat them. It's inconsistent, and frankly arrogant, to say that "oh, it's no big deal that she beat Petrova. She was bound to lose eventually"

I mean, do you hear how you sound when you post things like that? Golovin did NOT have a draw blessed by god, if anything she had a crappy draw.

http://www.wtaworld.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=13598

35% of people thought Venus would win the title. 29% thought Petrova would win the title. 4% though Golovin would.

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:31 AM
even though i never thought that Venus would once again tank in her match...
I think that she does this secretly
Cuz you see... i f Venus wanted to win...
she could...
she could have won this atleast...

AND NOW it makes sense. You think the reason Golovin won this tournament is because Venus let her. Oh, credibility, how you've been shot.

Direwolf
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:06 AM
AND NOW it makes sense. You think the reason Golovin won this tournament is because Venus let her. Oh, credibility, how you've been shot.

The only reason Venus showed up was because she was paid a lot of money for her appearance.

I don't think Venus entered this tournament to play the entire week. She's using these smaller tournaments to build up her game and it's a smart strategy.

Venus had wrist surgery and it's gonna take awhile for her to fully recover from that. Just like it did Serena. Remember she would play, then lose. Well they can't stress the body by playing the entire week. They play a few games then lose so they won't tax the body too much and get reinjured.

It would have been foolish for Venus to play the full week. Now if she wasn't recovering from wrist surgery it would have been fine.

There is a tier I tournament that begins on Monday. That means she would have had to play throughout Sunday, then try to catch a plane for next weeks game. Remember she would be playing Monday because her ranking is still low and she's not getting passes.

It's smart for Venus to go out today and catch a plane for the next weeks tournament which probably begins Monday for her. And that tournament will last two weeks itself.

She can go back and work on some techniques in her game these next few days. She'd be too tired to go the entire two weeks.

Plus Venus has won this tournament 3 or 4 times already. It's not the trophy and money she needs, it's the preparation she needs.

if you take that seriously...
then you need to dig yourself out of believing-everything-i-see hole..:tape:

Direwolf
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM
It makes no difference if this was the Venus of 2002 or the Venus of 2006. Is there a person alive who is pleased about playing Venus in a tournament? No. Why? She's streaky. There's an equal chance you'll get demolished as take her apart. And I repeat: she wouldn't have won Memphis if she weren't capable of playing well coming off of an injury. It's not a legitimate line to give that "she's back" after winning a tournament, only to say "she's coming back from an injury" when she gets taken apart in the next tournaments. Venus without much match practice is more dangerous an opponent than half the top 50 at full health.

you know that shes streaky, every player knows shes streaky...
Schnyder knows that she would lose to Venus anyway...
but she went out there and play....
why didnt Schnyder just play dead??:confused:
because she knows that Venus was a streaky player...
she knew that even though she would lose, she also knew that
she has a chance of getting to the next round...

With a player like Schnyder (0-8 against Venus) who already lost
before the match came out and play...
What would that make of Golovin (who is 1-0 against Venus)??
DO YOU THINK SHE CAME OUT WISHING THAT
SHE WOULD PLAY VENUS OF THE BEST?
DO YOU THINK SHE PRAYED BEFORE HER MATCH
THAT SHE WOULD PLAY VENUS WHO WOULD BRING HER GAME A??
ALMOST EVERY PLAYER OUT THERE THINKS THAT THEY
HAVE A CHANCE....

Even Razzano thinks she has a chance against the current number 1 player...
Even Schnyder has THE HEART to think that she has a chance against Venus...

Venus without much match practice is more dangerous an opponent than half the top 50 at full health
If Venus plays Mauresmo and Henin in a tournament...
I think Venus would have more trouble against Mauresmo
in any surface and Henin only in one surface..

then put an
(IMPATIENCE VENUS+CLAY)x 1 MILLION UNFORCED ERRORS / A CONSISTENT COUNTERPUNCHER ....
= the worst Venus

Regardless of Golovin's record with Petrova, Petrova WAS the favorite in this match. She's a defending champion, last years Queen of Clay runner-up, and a top 10 player.
she was basically the queen of clay tournaments other than RG...
but people back then were wondering how long she could keep that up

and some people were right... she couldnt keep it up....

Furthermore, EVERYONE is going to lose some matches. That doesn't mean that a player doesn't have to play well to beat them. It's inconsistent, and frankly arrogant, to say that "oh, it's no big deal that she beat Petrova. She was bound to lose eventually"

I mean, do you hear how you sound when you post things like that? Golovin did NOT have a draw blessed by god, if anything she had a crappy draw.

http://www.wtaworld.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=13598

35% of people thought Venus would win the title. 29% thought Petrova would win the title. 4% though Golovin would.

I didnt said that... you did...
youre making me sound as arrogant as you...

If you have 100vcash...
were would you put your vote?

With the poll link you gave me...
how could people vote for Golovin when they think that
they would lose to Venus Williams in the quarters??
people were expecting Venus and Nadia in the Finals

this is a more accurate poll

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=293752

that poll shows Tati has
63.16% that she would beat Petrova

Regardless of Golovin's record with Petrova, Petrova WAS the favorite in this match. She's a defending champion
last year
NADIA VS HENIN
Nadia was 1-8 against Henin

HENIN WAS THE FREAKING FAVORITE...
but being the favourite doesnt AUTOMATICALLY
give you the title.... noh?
but Petrova, like Golovin was playing very GOOD tennis...

_Cell-chuk
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
For me the reason Golovin is suddenly playing so well is she is moving so much better, she has improved her fitness and she is so strong on the legs. Believe me Petrova attacked as well as she could but Golovin kept getting the balls back time after time. On her day, she is a threat to anyone.

zut16
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Chill people. It was Tati's time to shine and she did. I'm very proud of her... :worship:

LCS
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Is there a reason why she shouldn't do well a this stage! I am very happy for her and I'm not even a big fan!

Iceland
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
And she is absolutely right to give her best tennis when she doesn't have any points to defend for a couple of monthes ;) :lol:
I'm not really surprised of her level of play, just of her concentration.
In any case, it's really deserved, top 20 is not her place, she can really aim to higher.

TaxPower
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Because she is not injured

alextim
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
because sha has worked a lot after miami with loic courteau (amélie's coach) and all the french staff !! she said yesterday she hopes working with Loic after the end of amélie's carreer

timafi
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
because sha has worked a lot after miami with loic courteau (amélie's coach) and all the french staff !! she said yesterday she hopes working with Loic after the end of amélie's carreer

she said that?:eek:
I'm not sure it's going to take place because Loic said if it weren't for Ame he would not be on the road so much away from his kid(s) not long ago and that the day Ame retires he won't do that king of job again :shrug:

Apoorv
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think tatiana would have won her first title way back if she had not been unlucky and got injured. She has a clean and beautiful game to watch.

Geertvg
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I hope she can keep it up, she's a potential top 10 player if you ask me... Vive la Tati! :)

pierce0415
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
isn't the real reason because she spent time with a real coach (Amelie's) last week?

Fantastic
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Why on earth is Tatiana Golovin playing so well now?

Errrrrm, so when should Tatiana Golovin start playing well? ;)

Seriously though, Tatiana had a great debut year in 2004 but she was overtaken by her peers, the likes of Sharapova, Ivanovic and Vaidisova. And then later she also had Peer and Chakvetadze to contend with. In fact, she did better at the Australian Open in 2004 than Sharapova, but Sharapova went on to Grand Slam glory later in the year. Ivanovic made a late but energetic burst in 2004 and went on to claim her first WTA Tour title in 2005. Vaidisova came out swinging in 2005, beating Tatiana along the way to one of her titles that year.

Throughout that time, Tatiana coasted along, slowly improving, then she would get injured, and then climb her way back up again. She slowly improves each time she steps out onto the court. Now she's finally won a singles tournament. I see it as more an indication of her talent and abilities.

Hopefully, this title win will give her more confidence to go on and do bigger and better things. I'm not predicting Grand Slam victories for her, but it shows that she can at least contend for a Top 10 position now with the promise of solid performances and the occasional tournament win. It's only the beginning.

LCS
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Loic was in attendance in the final..wearing these great sunglasses...LOL

meanwhile Amelie is surely in bed-rest..<_<

orfeus
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:01 PM
isn't the real reason because she spent time with a real coach (Amelie's) last week?

yeah I think so...