PDA

View Full Version : Who has a better chance to win a grand slam? Elena Dementieva or Nadia Petrova?

samsam4087
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Who has a better chance to win a grand slam? Elena Dementieva or Nadia Petrova?

A'DAM
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Elena without serve has no chance to win a slam ( pitty but true :( )

Mightymirza
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:17 AM
i voted for lena but I think pietrowa..:o :sad:

Viktymise
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
lena really should have won a slam in 2004 :o

John.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:21 AM
None of them

austennis
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Nadia at French Open if it all comes together and Elena at Us Open if she stays consistent

selyoink
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Petrova because she is a great clay court player. Lena when she plays her best is better than Petrova but she so rarely plays her best.

Marcus1979
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Petrova is still a bit of a head case tho. especially against the mentally tough players like Justine and Serena. They are never out even if Petrova is up a break or even serveral breaks like 5-1 in the 3rd set she is never certain of victory.

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM
lena really should have won a slam in 2004 :oYou're kidding, right? Did you SEE the '04 RG final?

Petrova keeping her head for two weeks is likelier than Dementieva finding a serve.

Marcus1979
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM
what odds would you give either scenario?

CuteLatinGirl
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Elena without serve has no chance to win a slam ( pitty but true :( )

I agree

None of them

And I agree too...

No Name Face
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Lena used to win these polls against anyone who hadn't won a slam yet :sad: :sad: :sad:

Njay16
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I would pick Dementieva if she can keep her nerves.

Njay16
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I would pick Dementieva if she can manage her nerves.

BarsonlyOne
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM
i would give them both equal chances. elena with her serve and petrova with her head. but elena deserves it more.

Mynarco
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Neither...
but Petrova is more likely:)

GoDominique
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Both at 0%.

mm1147
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:07 AM
i think elena should have won the us open in 2004 thats her greatest chance

Orion
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I really thought Dementieva had a really good chance at the US Open in '06. I don't know if she's got it in her anymore, and she's not young enough to improve substantially. I think the window of opportunity may have passed her by. But then, I also though Robin Soderling would make the quarters at the Australian this year, so what do I know?

Petrova intrigues me. She plays so well on clay, yet her single best shot is neutralized on clay. She plays smartly at the net, which isn't the traditional style for clay. She's got all these elements that make a very complete player, but not one that looks set to sweep through seven straight matches on the four surfaces used. I can't see her winning a slam, which is too bad because I do think she's got more ability than some slam winners. She's also very unfortunate in the time frame she's played in. She was looking to be top 10 bound before she got injured, and she didn't get back to the elite ranks for the '04 season. Now, with Henin and Serena back in full force, Mauresmo finally pulling it together, and this crowd of younger players, it's hard not to think that maybe Petrova missed her best chance to establish herself. At any rate, I like seeing her play. It's a study in psychology on a tennis court.

Maharhar
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
The two of them have huge problems to resolve if they want to win a Slam. Petrova's mental ability is about as limp as Dementieva's serve.

That being said, Dementieva seems more likely to me. Seems easier to build muscle and accuracy than resolving whatever's in one's head.

serena_fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM
LenaD

Sexysova
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Petrova..

Calypso
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I would pick Dementieva if she could change her serve.
She probably deserves it more.

jazar
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
dokic

Bruno71
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I don't see Dementieva winning a slam, or even coming close again. Her game has too many weaknesses and the field is too strong right now...it would take a miracle draw and her playing her very best.

Petrova should have a chance. She's been winning many tournaments lately and getting to the finals of many more. Plus, any strong server has a shot. She just has to figure out how to get her head into her matches at the slams, and over time she could build up to winning one.

Viktymise
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
You're kidding, right? Did you SEE the '04 RG final?

Petrova keeping her head for two weeks is likelier than Dementieva finding a serve.

Yeah im talking about the USO 2004, where she won both her QF and SF 7-6 in the 3rd in thrillers and ran out of gas in the final, sorry if you didn't SEE that event :rolleyes: oh and about the poll if both Dementieva and Petrova were in a slam final together, Dementieva would win

gmak
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
two years ago, i would 've said Lena...

right now i feel Nadia has a better chance...

miss_molik
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Nadia

Mina Vagante
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
petrova

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Personally I think Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Myskina will remain the only Russian GS champions in near future.

LCS
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Elena....only her can win a match without a serve...if you take Nadia's serve away she will lose 60 60....:D

Beny
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I had to vote for Nadia because she is by far more consistant than Lena. Lena is a fighter a much better one than Nadia..but it is not what matters that much. Nadia has the serve and is great on clay...Lena doesn`t have a clay title yet...
Now I`m talking about RG
But anyway, Lena kind of wasted her chances and I just feel that Nadia`s are yet to come..

Uranus
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think Nadia still has a chance. But I don't think any of them will ever win a slam :shrug: (unfortunately)

TaxPower
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'd say Nadia

.Andrew.
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
At this point, Petrova.

But I'll always be rooting for Elena.

Talula
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I'd rather Elena. But I think she had her chances in 2004. I can't see anyone letting Petrified beat them in a Grand Slam final. Not even if World Number 487,000,208 'One Eyed Knock Knees Nora' gets to the final.

Corswandt
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Petrova intrigues me. She plays so well on clay, yet her single best shot is neutralized on clay. She plays smartly at the net, which isn't the traditional style for clay. She's got all these elements that make a very complete player, but not one that looks set to sweep through seven straight matches on the four surfaces used. I can't see her winning a slam, which is too bad because I do think she's got more ability than some slam winners.

Good points. She does well on clay even though her game seems much more suited to fast indoors or even grass - which again shows that feeling confident and comfortable while playing on any given surface is perhaps more important than playing the game style usually associated with it.

Lena D. also seems to like playing on red clay, even though her game isn't really suited to it (and her results, with a couple of exceptions, are mediocre). And Sharapova is comfortable on grass even though her game has none of the attributes of the traditional grasscourt style.

samsam4087
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Elena....only her can win a match without a serve...if you take Nadia's serve away she will lose 60 60....:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lulu.
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Nadia for sure

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Thread starter :weirdo:

Stop with the thread BUMP , dumbass

samsam4087
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Elena has a greater chance.

Keaka
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
They both sunk down last three weeks.I started noticing it already last indoor season, where Dementieva didn't have the best results.But I think Dementieva won't just go down like that, she will just want it more and more to go back to the top...shes that kinda type.

Petrova will return to her old form too, probably, like she have a couple of times.

I would just give the e dge to Petrova, as I always had her as contender in slams, also in this years and last years RG.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I still think Nadia can be #1 and win multiple majors. She's had some injuries recently, but a win in Eastbourne won't surprise me at all.

Emily Parr
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Both are vastly overrated players. How Demenetieva managed to reach not one, but TWO finals is damaging to the sport in general.

JustineTime
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Petrova is still a bit of a head case tho. especially against the mentally tough players like Justine and Serena. They are never out even if Petrova is up a break or even serveral breaks like 5-1 in the 3rd set she is never certain of victory.

Exactly. But assuming she hires the right sports shrink, she has all the weapons necessary to win a Slam, unlike Elena, whose serve will forever be her roadblock to the Winner's Circle. :shrug:

JustineTime
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Both are vastly overrated players. How Demenetieva managed to reach not one, but TWO finals is damaging to the sport in general.

Yeah, but that year there were no Williamses, no Justine, and no I don't know who else...SOMEONE had to emerge from those relatively weak fields. :shrug: :tape:

Emily Parr
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Exactly. But assuming she hires the right sports shrink, she has all the weapons necessary to win a Slam, unlike Elena, whose serve will forever be her roadblock to the Winner's Circle. :shrug:

She can't even serve.

You know you're right. She should go see "Huff!".

Emily Parr
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, but that year there were no Williamses, no Justine, and no I don't know who else...SOMEONE had to emerge from those relatively weak fields. :shrug: :tape:

It says it all when Myskina won the tournament for me. What a joke!

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Yep, no slam is deserved unless you beat Serena, Venus, Henin, and Clijsters in a row. :weirdo:

Myskina beat Venus, Capriati, and Dementieva in a row. Dementieva beat Davenport and Mauresmo, and hell, she beated herself, might as well count as another top 10 victory for her. Is it Henin's fault she lost in the second round? Is it Serena's fault she lost to Capriati?

Sharapova beat Davenport and Serena herself at Wimbledon, which is no easy feat. But, again, beating Serena clearly means nothing unless you're Serena. Then at the USO, Petrova beat Henin, who lost to Kuznetsova, who beat Davenport, then Dementieva in the final, a top 6 player, who only defeated Mauresmo and Capriati herself (who, again, beat Serena).

Clijsters wasn't at any slam. Serena missed AO. Henin missed Wimbledon. That's it. Clijsters didn't even win a slam before 2005 anyway, and everyone complains about how the fields were so depleted--they weren't depleted if ALMOST EVERYONE WAS THERE. Yes, injuries occured, but that's life. The big names showed up, they lost prematurely, and a few players took advantage.

Anyway, neither will win a slam, it's a silly topic regardless. I just had to vent since the Russians had to defeat top-ranked players to their slam finals/victories too, Jesus Christ.

Stroba
Jun 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I´m afraid none of them will win a slam. There is no sign of them making any progress, while young guns like Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Jankovic and Sharapova are already better players and still making progress.

I don´t think it will be enough for Dementieva and Petrova to keep doing everything as always and just hope everything will "click" during a slam. To give themselves a chance they need to do some extra effort to solve their weaknesses first.

Kunal
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM
id say nadia ebcause her game seems more potent

lena d seems too frail in the serve department

LDF
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't see either of them winning a Slam now. There are too many other good players around, and now that Ivanovic, Jankovic and Vaidisova have been added to the mix it'll be even more difficult for Petrova or Dementieva to win one.

Pasta-Na
Jun 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
nadia. i find elena a bit skinny.

Harvs
Jun 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
nadia... only people who would say elena are her many fans who r voting purely via heart lol