PDA

View Full Version : What kind of career for Tati?

TaxPower
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Today, she has won her first tournament. Do you think that she could reach the top 5 and, then, maybe the 1st rank? I agree, she is talented, but does she have enough power and physical possibilities?

Nicolas
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
definitely top10 since a long time
only if ankles doesn't bother her
Seems to have improved fitness :o
really complete game, needs to get consistent. Can regularly beat "weak" top players (Petrova, Jankovic, Dementieva, Schnyder, Vaidisova...)

jazar
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
she needs to improve certain areas of her game, such as her serve, but she could easily get top 5 and challenge for slams

FrenchY52
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM
She beats easily players ranked 5-10 at 19.. She's been working for a week and a few days with Amélie's coach and she has changed her game much and went much to the net.. So, i definitely think that if she gets a full-time coach, she'll be in the top5 in a few years..
Anyway some people really know her potential, some others don't wanna admit it, so let's see in a few years..

Monica_Rules
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well she burst onto the scene a few years ago and kind of stayed around the same, i think this will be her next push up the rankings, i'm sure she will get to the top 10.

Volcana
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Today, she has won her first tournament. Do you think that she could reach the top 5 and, then, maybe the 1st rank? I agree, she is talented, but does she have enough power and physical possibilities?She could get into the top five, statistically. Dokic and Hantucova both did, simply by playing 28-30 tournaments a year. Jankokich may take the same approach.

But I don't think Golovin has the physical tools to reach the level of Serena or Henin right now. Not a size issue, obviously, but outside of her drop volley, she's no threat to hit a winner in a baseline duel with a Sharapova. She can hang in, and hope the power player blows up, but, at least in this tournament, she didn't show the ability to hit a lot of outright winners.

BK4ever
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Tati can definitely be top ten, but she has not been willing to do what it takes to get there. She needs to get a COACH. She also needs to be more aggressive against the top players. She is too content to be a human backboard and wait for the errors...somedays that is enough and others you need to step up to the plate and Tati has never been able to do that consistently.

paranr
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I think she will reach the top 5 at some stage in her career, but won't stay there regulary, but she can be a constant top tenner but only after she'll improve considerably her mental game. :)

Orion
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
She's 19, and has been stalled twice now in the mid-20's because of injury, no other reason, and couldn't get the momentum going. If she hadn't gotten injured at Miami last year, it wouldn't be hard to see her in the top 15 today. As it is, she's got a huge opportunity to pile on ranking points. She only earned twon on clay last year, and only 38 at Wimbledon. If she can get into the top 16 by the French, she's got a great shot at getting to the 4th round, same at Wimbledon, which gives her a very good buffer. With the ranking point inflation, she's in pretty much the same boat as Serena. They both have under 200 to defend until the US Open, and that's easy to make up with inflation.

In five years, she'll be 24. Venus, Serena, Dementieva, Henin, Schnyder, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Hingis, and Petrova will all be retired, or at least nowhere near their peak. There's not a ton of girls under 22 in the top 30 right now, and I don't see why Golovin couldn't be a top 10 player by then. She's gotten markedly better each season, but has been very, very unlucky with her injuries. Contrast that with Kirilenko, who hasn't gotten better and hasn't had injuries.

Interesting to note, the only top 30 players with less tournaments played in the past 52 weeks are Henin, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Clijsters, and Serena.

Natash.
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
She's 19, and has been stalled twice now in the mid-20's because of injury, no other reason, and couldn't get the momentum going. If she hadn't gotten injured at Miami last year, it wouldn't be hard to see her in the top 15 today. As it is, she's got a huge opportunity to pile on ranking points. She only earned twon on clay last year, and only 38 at Wimbledon. If she can get into the top 16 by the French, she's got a great shot at getting to the 4th round, same at Wimbledon, which gives her a very good buffer. With the ranking point inflation, she's in pretty much the same boat as Serena. They both have under 200 to defend until the US Open, and that's easy to make up with inflation.

In five years, she'll be 24. Venus, Serena, Dementieva, Henin, Schnyder, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Hingis, and Petrova will all be retired, or at least nowhere near their peak. There's not a ton of girls under 22 in the top 30 right now, and I don't see why Golovin couldn't be a top 10 player by then. She's gotten markedly better each season, but has been very, very unlucky with her injuries. Contrast that with Kirilenko, who hasn't gotten better and hasn't had injuries.

Interesting to note, the only top 30 players with less tournaments played in the past 52 weeks are Henin, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Clijsters, and Serena.

I believe Kirilenko had injuries but not as bad as the one involving Golovin's ankle.

I think, potentially, she could easily reach the top 10. But to reach the top 5, she needs to improve a lot. Tatiana is improving everytime I see her so it's possible.

#1 ranking - Can't predict that one.

yukon145
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Tati is my favorite active player, i think she can make the top 10 and even top 5, but she really needs to get a full time coach. hopefully this week will show her what a coach or a group of coaches can do. i would be very suprised to see her reach number 1 in the world though.

timafi
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM
well Loic did a great job with Tati this week and it showed :yeah:
her volleys were great :yeah: and she was attacking whenever she could :yeah:
her defense has improved a lot :yeah:
her forehand has always been her weapon:D
her backhand can be beefed up:)
her serves have helped her get out of trouble all week:D
if Tati can stay healthy:D
stay focus:D
stay positive:D
get a tad faster footwork wise:)
improve on all the surfaces and mostly get in even better shape I don't see why she wouldn't have a great future:bounce:

Viktymise
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I think she can top 5 max

Slutiana
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
She could get into the top five, statistically. Dokic and Hantucova both did, simply by playing 28-30 tournaments a year. Jankokich may take the same approach.

But I don't think Golovin has the physical tools to reach the level of Serena or Henin right now. Not a size issue, obviously, but outside of her drop volley, she's no threat to hit a winner in a baseline duel with a Sharapova. She can hang in, and hope the power player blows up, but, at least in this tournament, she didn't show the ability to hit a lot of outright winners.

This is the claycourt season and the key to winning on clay is being more consistent and patient than on grass and hard...grass is her favourite surface and she played sharapova twice on grass, both have gone to three sets...and she can EASILY hit winners in baseline rallies..Sharapova is a terrible example as her moving is very poor but if you really think she can't..go on youtube type in golovin vs sharapova and watch that match in miami...golovin hit winners from everywhere in the court....

cellophane
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Top 10 but not top 5 IMO.

tennisbear7
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:29 PM
This is the claycourt season and the key to winning on clay is being more consistent and patient than on grass and hard...grass is her favourite surface and she played sharapova twice on grass, both have gone to three sets...and she can EASILY hit winners in baseline rallies..Sharapova is a terrible example as her moving is very poor but if you really think she can't..go on youtube type in golovin vs sharapova and watch that match in miami...golovin hit winners from everywhere in the court....

Plus, it's not really Tati's game to hit outright winners. Her game is to manouvre opponents around, and then put away the short balls. She's like half way between Sharapova and Hingis.

Slutiana
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Plus, it's not really Tati's game to hit outright winners. Her game is to manouvre opponents around, and then put away the short balls. She's like half way between Sharapova and Hingis.

thats right but just half way between Williamses and Hingis..Thats why shes sooo special...she has the angles and wrong fotting and manouvering like hingis and she posseses the power (when she wants to use it) and her serve is getting very good also...what have dramatically improved are her movement and her volleys and those are both massive parts of both williamses' games and hingis' game she is becoming a complete player andd shes really special because she's not one of those manurfactoured(sp?) players like Sharapova or vaidisova (no offence to their fans) but she really has something special and with the right coach, i think she can go WAY beyond just top 5, i think she has the ability to win a few slams and who know? Get to number one also...shes the future of Womens tennis and i have to say, the future is looking good:)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
One can never really predict what a player will achieve in their career. There are too many variables that there is no way of telling about. How well will Tati sustain her motivation. How hard will she work. Will she avoid severe injuries. And how strong will the level of women's tennis be in five years when one would expect her to be at her peak.

All I can say is I believe she has top three potential. But that is a long way off from predicting she will actually have a top three career. She could, ofcourse, then again she might never reach the top ten. Hopefully she will have a great career, she is a great asset to the game.

austennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:59 PM
From the matches ive seen i say withing in 12-18 months she will be top 10.. in the 5-10 range as for future i see her Maria, Jelena, Ana, Nicole being the Tennis big names in 4 or 5 years

Josh.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM
a long one hopefully. :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
10-14 titles and number 3 as best ranking