PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the cap to Tatiana Golovin

Volcana
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
She's not a player I believe in, but all credit where it's due. She beat good players to win AI. She didn't anybody currently playing great, but there are only two players playing great right now, and niether of them was at AI. She beat three players who I think are, historically, demonstrably better than her, but that's a comment on my powers of observation, not her tennis. Golovin handled the wind better than most this tournament, and her volleys were sound.

Ulrimately, I think she's a slower Shahar Peer, with a bit more power and better volleys. I don't see slam-winning potential in her, but she showed me enough winning AI that I'm going to sit back for the rest of clay season, and see what she produces.

treufreund
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
She is a very smart player, has great anticipation, good movement, good court sense and tough depth on her shots. Her volleys were much better than I anticipated and her serve also was effective. For me, she is the kind of rallier I like watching. She draws out the rallies and either draws an error or hits a winner or tough shot. Reminds me to a certain extent of a cross between hingis and capriati (not quite as good as those 2 yet but her court sense is Hingisesque and her forehand hearkens back to Graf/Capriati) I am SOOOOOOOO Happy that Tathiana, Justine, Ivanovic and others are bring the forehand back to prominence. I love big forehand and big 1-handed backhands. The predominance of girls who can hit 2 handed backhands but have sucky forehands is annoying to me.

anyways, I am just quite please to see Tati beat an always tough Venus (albeit Venus was way off :sad: , then stop Ivanovic whom she had never beaten in five tries, and then just smash a slightly sour-grapish Petrova in her first finals) :D

égalité
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
She's not a player I believe in, but all credit where it's due. She beat good players to win AI. She didn't anybody currently playing great, but there are only two players playing great right now, and niether of them was at AI. She beat three players who I think are, historically, demonstrably better than her, but that's a comment on my powers of observation, not her tennis. Golovin handled the wind better than most this tournament, and her volleys were sound.

Ulrimately, I think she's a slower Shahar Peer, with a bit more power and better volleys. I don't see slam-winning potential in her, but she showed me enough winning AI that I'm going to sit back for the rest of clay season, and see what she produces.

And an infinitely better serve.

crazylace01
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM
congrats, and now hopefully this will be the big breakthrough she needs. she's got a great game and she's a lot of fun to watch. well done :yeah:

John.
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I knew she could do it :yeah:

May there be many more