PDA

View Full Version : To which player would we accept a Venus loss?

tennnisfannn
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:45 AM
It amazes me that everyone has been quick to dismiss Venus after her last two losses, one to maria the other to Tatiana. these players aren't chopped liver. I haven't seen the matches but I am not ready to dismiss Venus yet. Coz of her ranking she is drawing good players very early, that doesn't mean she is playing badly coz she lost in the third or the quarters.
If she drew Justine on clay in rd 2 and lost , would that still be considered a terrible loss?
As a fan, i don't like to see her lose at all. I would be alot more concerned if she were losing to the likes of players like serena did, craybas, etc.

pooh14
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM
i agree with you.

just because serena came back after few months, and won a GS, everybody is expecting venus to do that.

one must understand, venus was injured much longer. serena recovered after wimbledon and was practising hard 2nd half of last year. whereas venus was injured for a longer period.

PatrickRyan
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Venus will find her way, she always does :yeah:

starin
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
losing to sharapova is a bad loss seeing as Sharapova was subsequently crushed by Serena 6-1 6-1
Losing to Golovin is a bad loss cuz Venus is >>>>Golovin. And now she falls 0-2 to Golovin. A player she should not have a losing H2H with. I don't really care if she loses its just the way she loses. Her game is sooo erratic and she really just puts herself in a hole in every match. And she has no fight left. She breaks back twice in the second set against Golovin and plays a horrible game to get broken. And on match point she gets golovin on the run, running from side to side and gets a floater reply and hits the ball in to the net. I just want her to keep the freakin' ball in the court.

LucasArg
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I will never dismiss Venus. I believe in her potential and I love seeing her play no matter what.

I also believe she had two terrible losses in Miami and AI. And I hope she can play more consistent tennis with less DF's and errors.

Vamos Venus! :wavey:

piercerocks
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM
it'll take a while.. but she'll be back for sure.

winone23
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Venus will be back I'll accept a lost to anyone in the top 20 right now. When she gets stronger only top 10 losses.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It amazes me that everyone has been quick to dismiss Venus after her last two losses, one to maria the other to Tatiana. these players aren't chopped liver. I haven't seen the matches but I am not ready to dismiss Venus yet. Coz of her ranking she is drawing good players very early, that doesn't mean she is playing badly coz she lost in the third or the quarters.
If she drew Justine on clay in rd 2 and lost , would that still be considered a terrible loss?
As a fan, i don't like to see her lose at all. I would be alot more concerned if she were losing to the likes of players like serena did, craybas, etc.

Finally, a sensible post on Venus. I actually think the loss to Maria was disappointing considering Maria's lack of form and fitness at the time but so what? And she could have played better against Tati yes, but Tati WAS brilliant and is deservedly in the final with a good chance of winning her 1st title.

During the match with Tati, Venus did show flashes of brilliance. Venus is still a very strong player in my book. Threads by fans castigating their favorite players after one or two upsets grow really tired. Hey, upsets are part of the game. All the best players have, from time to time, had disappointing results. It doesn't mean they are finished.

This won't be Venus's last disappointing loss. Infact I fully expect to see Serena, Martina, Justine, Maria and Amelie etc, all suffer unexpected loses in the next year. And each one will produce threads saying these players are finished, pathetic, should retire and so on. :rolleyes:

But all these players will inevitably also have their great moments too and all will also undoubtably add to their already big trophy cabinets. Nothing stays the same for long in tennis. The players who are hot now won't stay hot permenently and most of those who have suffered disappointing losses will bounce back.

V-fan
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Good point...................Give Venus some time...I hope Serena is supporting and motivating her to get better...........

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
are you kidding?! :eek:

of couse she is, she's her sister :hug:

It's the weirdos here that are turing their backs on Vee :cuckoo::weirdo:

Ben.
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM

couldn't agree with you more :) venus can only get better & better.

Nickk
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't really accept any of Venus's losses because I simply know she's good enough to beat anybody on any surface.

However, I would never dump her and I don't ever get too angry at her when she loses because after all she's the one who's out there playing and fighting and therefore I don't feel entitled to judge her.

Love you, Vee:hug:

Slutiana
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Finally, a sensible post on Venus. I actually think the loss to Maria was disappointing considering Maria's lack of form and fitness at the time but so what? And she could have played better against Tati yes, but Tati WAS brilliant and is deservedly in the final with a good chance of winning her 1st title.

During the match with Tati, Venus did show flashes of brilliance. Venus is still a very strong player in my book. Threads by fans castigating their favorite players after one or two upsets grow really tired. Hey, upsets are part of the game. All the best players have, from time to time, had disappointing results. It doesn't mean they are finished.

This won't be Venus's last disappointing loss. Infact I fully expect to see Serena, Martina, Justine, Maria and Amelie etc, all suffer unexpected loses in the next year. And each one will produce threads saying these players are finished, pathetic, should retire and so on. :rolleyes:

But all these players will inevitably also have their great moments too and all will also undoubtably add to their already big trophy cabinets. Nothing stays the same for long in tennis. The players who are hot now won't stay hot permenently and most of those who have suffered disappointing losses will bounce back.

wow for once i don't have to write a long essay WELL SAID!

Shonami Slam
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
practiclally, i expect Venus a good chance to lose against consistant players that can generate good power themselves, on any relativly slow surface to midium hard.
I still think she's going to go very deep in Wimbeldon, only to start here a million "now she's REALLY back!!!11!!" threads of the phony-fans that are bashing her at the moment.
if she'll still be fit in the indoor season, she should rack up titles there as well.
eventually, that was always her niche over serena, and it's easy to claim that she has lesser than her younger sibling, but it's still enough to be one of, if not the most, dominant forces on fast courts.

but honestly, i'd love her to lose, and lose badly anywhere she enters with too much self-belief.
I'm not a fan, what can I do, but at least I hope she regains her top form. i dislike the WS losing when out of game.

A'DAM
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Serena :worship:

Adal
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Any TOP10 right now actually.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM
losing to sharapova is a bad loss seeing as Sharapova was subsequently crushed by Serena 6-1 6-1
Maria's been dealing with an on-going shoulder injury since the Australian Open.

I think its quite delusional for fans to pick and choose which losses to accept and which ones not to accept.

You act like Venus losing is a rare occurance, when in fact, its not. Just look at her play over the past four years.

Fact being, you really don't have a choice whether or not to accept who she loses to. Once the match is over, the choice is out of your hands.

And that goes for any player that loses in the WTA.

austennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
u cant do much worse than reigning GS champ and no,2 and up and comming player who reached the finals..

MatchpointPRT
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I agree. All players have the best months or years in their careers and they also have bad times with no exception... and that´s why i can understand and accept better Martina´s losses. She and many others had their time, they dominated, and now as amazing players they were they keep playing well, but not with the same ambitions... The same will happen to the new players, Sharapova, Vaidisova, Peer, Kuznetsova... They may dominate or at least win grand slams but at a certain point of their careers they will start to win less tournaments.

V-MAC
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I guess right now we should just be happy that (a): Venus is injury-free and (b): She is playing tournaments. Those are the main things, hopefully the results will follow ;) But as someone pointed out before, I think the majority of us Vee fans are more concerned and bothered about the way she is playing at the moment rather than the losses itself. I mean anyone who saw the Golovin match will know - Vee just looked like she had no clue what to do out there. Yes Golovin played a brilliant match and props to her but Vee should be winning more than 5 games in match at least. Anyway, I'm optimistic that her form will pick up eventually. Guess she just needs time :bounce:

franklinbouvier
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Venus has the ability to beat anyone out there.
The only real threats come from Serena and Justine.

harloo
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I think Venus has accepted the loses, so maybe her fans should accept them and move on? The criticism won't end until she starts winning again which is typical of these boards and the media in general. I don't see how referencing Serena losing to Craybas has any relevance to the topic. When she was losing to those players she recieved the same scrutiny. Venus will have to prove them wrong again, that's all.;)

Aravanecaravan
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM
The only real threats come from Serena and Justine.

LOL--and the rest of the top thirty.

rjd1111
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Losing to Golovin is a bad loss cuz Venus is >>>>Golovin. And now she falls 0-2 to Golovin. A player she should not have a losing H2H with. I don't really care if she loses its just the way she loses. Her game is sooo erratic and she really just puts herself in a hole in every match. And she has no fight left. She breaks back twice in the second set against Golovin and plays a horrible game to get broken. And on match point she gets golovin on the run, running from side to side and gets a floater reply and hits the ball in to the net. I just want her to keep the freakin' ball in the court.

I agree that Vee >>> Golovin but in all fairness Tati played very well
She played well against Ana and She is in the final. I noticed that even
in the last cpl of yrs when injured many of the players V lost to were
playing better than are and also went deep into the draw after playing V.
Players get up when they play the Sisters. And Yes Vee is not helping matters
by spraying the ball.