PDA

View Full Version : I bet Bartoli could be coached to top 5

Ackms421
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Obviously there is some fanfare for her due to the two hands on both sides, but that notwithstanding, there are some flashes of brilliance, and periodically she has these high-quality wins (like against Safina a couple of weeks ago). I know she is not in great shape, but she seems like a hard worker and a good fighter, so I don't understand why she hasn't moved farther up already. She has had a steady rise in the ranks, but seems to have plateaued. And, after beating Safina, she has lost two matches in a row, so I can't really explain her.

Thoughts?

elenadrocks
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
nah. top 5 no way

Natash.
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM
She's probably having those losses because she's starting to play in more higher level tournaments instead of the lower ones. I don't mind her. She seems like a nice girl but I can't really predict her future.

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:55 AM
I luvz Marion to death, but Top 5 :unsure:

Orion
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I think she's going to dwell in the 15-25 range for most of her career, maybe a foray into top 15 land, but nothing more than that.

kittyking
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM
She reminds me off Martina Muller - and on top of that I HATE her marketing team so I cant see her being top 5/10

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
To be completely honest, I believe most (not all mind you) of the top 30 could be coached to top 5 spots. But they would need great coaching that was ideally suited to the personality concerned, would have to work extremely hard on their game, and fitness, show scary levels of motivation and stay injury-free for an extended period. In Bartoli's case obviously it would require her to get way way fitter than she is now, indeed than she has ever been, and give up the cakes. Is it likely to happen? No.

nsquare
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM
she needs to reduce her weight and do something about her ugly serve.She could reach top 10 but top 5? no way

jazar
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
she could be a solid top 20 player, no more

jrm
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Much, much better players didn't make it into top10

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Much, much better players didn't make it into top10

That is ofcourse true. But making the top 10 requires alot more than talent. There are many players out there with genuine top 10 ability who will never get the proper facilities and coaching they need to achieve their potential. Others will have motivational problems, family problems, or unfortunate injuries which will keep them from the top. Very few players ever actually reach their full potential. There really are many many players in the top 100 who could be top 10 players but won't be.

My point with Bartoli is she if she had the kind of motivation and quality coaching that say Henin has had she could certainly be top 5. Fact is, however this true of alot players and in most cases it won't happen. The greatest talent is often in the heart. The desire to work one's ass off to be the best player you can be; not many have that.

FrenchY52
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
No.. Even her father and herself told that she reached her peak and she can't go higher

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM
shes a great player and i love her but i doubt top 5. top ten a possibility but something needs to change in her game... physical and mental changes, dedication, fitness and a great coaching team... she has potential thats for sure but it would be very dificult for her to beat the top players on a regular basis, week in, week out and that is what is recquired for a top 5 player

rockstar
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
i cant see her beating most top 10 players...

Josh.
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM
no.

top 20, solid player? for sure.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
No.. Even her father and herself told that she reached her peak and she can't go higher

Well I guess if she has already reached her peak then there is no point in working too hard anymore. So I suppose she can just enjoy all those yummy cakes and doughnuts now. :lol:

I must admit that does appear to be the current thinking within the Bartoli camp.

The Dawntreader
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Until she trains the hardest she's done in her life, then not even top 15. Also too many technical defficencies in her game too, eg the serve.

So Disrespectful
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
We don't know if she could be. The fact is that she's overweight and in a form slump, so until she works on her fitness we'll never know if she has top 5 potential or not. I'd say it's a realistic possibility, because she was one of the hottest players for a short period last year.

If she could find consistency and motivation, who knows. Some players however, will never find consistenct.

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Read a comment about her serve...having seen it live, it appears that she's doing the robot :lol::hearts:

Monica_Rules
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Can't see it myself, but i;ve always been mystified by Marion, she tends to loose a lot to players who she should be beating easily, she will be a solid top 20 players over the coming years but can't see her doing much more.

austennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think she's going to dwell in the 15-25 range for most of her career, maybe a foray into top 15 land, but nothing more than that.
i agree little bit like Fran S.. mayb hover around 11 - 12 in world but never any more

jdyshrky
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
If I had to put money on it, I would say she probably won't make it to top 5 but I'd love her to prove me and everyone wrong. I honestly never thought much of her as a player, albeit she now stands in the top 20/25, but watching her beat Safina illustrated that she actually plays a pretty good game although hindered by her weird style. Her game seems to pick up only when she is control, out hit her and she struggles, move her and she struggles, bring her in and she struggles, she seems to be a great counterpuncher but although has some fantastic groundstokes they seem to lack the bite of even a Bammer or a Safarova. I don't see where her game can go. To be in the top 5 you really need to have to use the serve for something more than simply getting the ball in play.

I think she made a massive stride last year but all I feel last year did was showcase that she is a solid tier III player. Results outside these events aren't remarkable. Note Auckland was tier IV. She consistently manages to lose to players much lower ranked and when she loses she bombs, which I don't know is testament to how particular her game is in that she is needs to be hitting perfect to win, or to how fragile her mentality is that she can't stop or change something happening on court.

The whole coaching thing is interesting, especially considering her position with Walter. I think she should bring someone else on board at this stage, if she hasn't done so already. It couldn't make anything worse and it might make something of 2007 or at least be a foundation stone for 2008.

To sum up. The Serve.

franklinbouvier
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Top 5?
No way.

LadyLil
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM

If she and her father believe this then why is she playing the better events now?

Whatever is going on with Marion is something she and her team need to address head on. Either she wants to play high level tennis or she doesn't. If she wants it, and I think she does, then she will have to work on her fitness. All the game in the world won't help if your opponent is running down your shots like a gazelle while you lumber along.

I'd like to see her do better but this is something she has to want.

Arafan
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I don't agree with you. Bartoli is technically very poor, and physically too. She has difficulties in Tiers I tournaments

Edith09
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe top 15, but I can´t see her in top 5.

égalité
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
But Olga Poutchkova said she could win a Grand Slam, remember?!

radwanska
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Maybe if she had a serve

Natash.
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
But Olga Poutchkova said she could win a Grand Slam, remember?!

Olga lied. :fiery:

Ackms421
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I told you all...Bartoli will be top 5 within the next 12 months...

I even think she has at least a snowball's chance tommorrow...

sharapovarulz1
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe top 10 but not top 5! But i think she is a good player and i really do like her but she has got to want this bad and hit the gym hard!

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
she could possible make it between the 8-10 range but no further. her reach is an issue especiall against players who hti extremely hard and can move her from side to side such as venus,maria,seren,ivanovic,vaidisova

sfselesfan
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
http://www.norman.k12.ok.us/087/webpix/Bandwagon%20Final.jpg

SF

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
still no. Sorry

Lulu.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I love Marion but Top 5? No...Top 10 maybe :)

TennisGuy21
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think, personally, its her Fitness, it is really really bad. I have watched her live every time I go to Miami, and I love watching her hit, when she is striking the ball, its a very fun game to watch, but unfortunatly because of power like the Williams, the women have gotten much better at defending and chasing down those balls and doing something big with them too, Marion could be coached to becoming a much better player, she needs to be quicker on her feet, and not let so many balls go by or just putting on hand on them, she needs to get there fast, hit better shots and just really start to believe that she has that top 10 game. - On another note, she has come miles from the first time I saw her play.

floco
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think she will be Top 10 sooner than we think. I think there's like 400 points between the #10 and #16.
But Top 5... i'm not sure, like somebody says, it will always be hard for her against a girl who has a power game like her but moves better. Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Sharapova etc...

Jirku
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
would be sad for tennis :eek:

VishaalMaria
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM
The only issue she has is her fitness. When she's attacking, an opponent with some decent defending skills can win the point easily. Bartoli just loses her positioning by retreating back, looking uncomfortable, and hitting the ball into the net. She also makes alot of unforced errors because she's just not comfortable moving. Most of her unforced errors come from her hitting the ball into the net rather than hitting the ball out. Also, in the match with Jankovic, She was out of breath easily and obviously the rain delays helped her.

She just needs to improve her fitness then she'll improve....right now that's the only thing holding her back. Justine will obviously exploit that, and seeing as Justine is a great mover, she'll get alot of balls back thus tiring out Bartoli. I expect a 6-1 6-2 win.

Ackms421
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I bet you $10 it goes three...

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
The only issue she has is her fitness. When she's attacking, an opponent with some decent defending skills can win the point easily. Bartoli just loses her positioning by retreating back, looking uncomfortable, and hitting the ball into the net. She also makes alot of unforced errors because she's just not comfortable moving. Most of her unforced errors come from her hitting the ball into the net rather than hitting the ball out. Also, in the match with Jankovic, She was out of breath easily and obviously the rain delays helped her.

She just needs to improve her fitness then she'll improve....right now that's the only thing holding her back. Justine will obviously exploit that, and seeing as Justine is a great mover, she'll get alot of balls back thus tiring out Bartoli. I expect a 6-1 6-2 win.

Jankovic is a great retriever and Bartoli still managed to win. But in that match the fatigue factor for Bartoli was minimized because of the rain delays. She hasn't been making as many UFE's on grass this year.

But top 5, I don't know. Her game is rather one-dimensional and it works on grass because of the penetration of her shots, but I just don't know if I'd ever see it working as well on other courts...and never on clay for sure.

saki
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Bartoli is a great illustration of the fact that there is not actually a huge talent gap between the players in the top 30. What separates them is determination and focus. Bartoli has worked damn hard to get where she is now - in the last four at Wimbledon - and she should be an inspiration to the many and various players on tour that don't fulfil their potential.

Ackms421
Jul 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I bet you $10 it goes three...

...someone owes me $10.00 because I know plenty of you were thinking "I'll take that bet." And to those of you who write that Marion is "the weakest GS semifinalist ever," you must not have been watching her matches. She just outplayed Henin for a set, and the match isn't over. She has better groundstrokes than a couple of top ten players off the top of my head, and her return of serve is awesome. Angles are spectacular, and as out of shape as she is, she's quick!

No matter what happens in the 3rd, she knows she belongs here now, and she'll be back next year, slimmer, trimmer, and meaner!

Ackms421
Jul 15th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Bump. I know she's not top 5 yet, but she did win a slam. So with a solid close to the season she will be top 5. I called this 6 years ago. ;)

Wiggly
Jul 15th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Bartoli is a great illustration of the fact that there is not actually a huge talent gap between the players in the top 30. What separates them is determination and focus. Bartoli has worked damn hard to get where she is now - in the last four at Wimbledon - and she should be an inspiration to the many and various players on tour that don't fulfil their potential.

Errani is a prime example.
Asides from the infamous rumors, she's perhaps the hardest worker on Tour.

leftbrian
Jul 15th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Errani is a prime example.
Asides from the infamous rumors, she's perhaps the hardest worker on Tour.

Work hard and eat hard! I live by that too!

lenas warriors
Jul 15th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Love threads like this, shows how clueless some posters. Especially those that critiqued others for being as clueless as they themselves have been shown to be here.

duhcity
Jul 15th, 2013, 12:45 AM
i agree little bit like Fran S.. mayb hover around 11 - 12 in world but never any more

phenomenal post.

Spring Pools
Jul 15th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Only if her coach works at weight watchers :oh: