PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Charleston Day 1 Qualies

drake3781
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Record low temps this weekend... today (Saturday) was a high of 59 degrees, and tonight is forecast for a low of 27 degrees! :tape: It's also very windy, but sunny too.

I arrived in time to see Tiantian Sun CHN vs. Kristina Brandi PUR on the Althea Gibson Club Court. This was a very good match, with Brandi taking the first set, Sun the second, and Brandi the third, all by one game difference.

Sun is tall and thin, and has quite strong legs. She wore orange and white Nike, Dunlop racquet. Brandi is medium-built, and her face looks a lot like Lisa Raymond; Yonex racquet. Surprisingly, this girl from an island hot year-round played the entire match in a skirt, bare legs, and short-sleeved top.

Sun's coach was in the stands, with an "entourage" of people including probably his wife, two other men, and ..... Li Na!! (Li looked miserably cold, and tired/grouchy.) Sun's coach - who I later saw is Li's coach too - came down between each set, and talked to Sun calmly and quietly by her side.

This was a good match with lots of baseline play, great placement side to side, lots of action on the ball, excellent movement by both players. Sun also has a very hot serve and made many aces, I think three in a row at one point. It looked like the match would come to a tie-break in the third, when Sun lost her serve then couldn't break back in the final game.

This match also featured the tiniest ballgirl in tennis history. :p

After this I went to the practice courts and was amazed to see Peng Shuai practicing! :eek: :hearts: . She was with Michael Chang, and was playing against another player whom I didn't know but later found out was Martina Muller. Looks like Shuai is playing beautifully. Sam Stosur came to the near court and began to practice with her coach, working on close-to-the-net drills and sliding. Later Li took to practice with her coach - same as Sun's. Li ooked much happier and relaxed, I guess glad to be out on the court instead of freezing in the stands. :lol:

I took a quick look at Mattek-Sprem. Mattek has really worked on her first serve and it is quite fast. Nothing too interesting about this match. I didn't see the end, but Sprem won it.

Saw another small part of Fedossova-Chan (Yung-Jan). Fedossova is very, very tall :eek: . Hits the ball very hard but a lot of misses and lot of service errors. Chan has great placement and very few errors, although she is kind of high-strung and emotional; I think she is a perfectionist who doesn't like to make any mistakes. I didn't see the end, but Chan won it.

Around the grounds, I saw Patty Schnyder doing a film interview, then signing autographs for a lot of little kids. Bartoli was watching Fedossova. Lisa Raymond was there. A lot of players I didn't recognize.

Williamsser
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the report. Michael :worship:

iPatty
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM
sounds like patty. :D

so peng was hitting the ball well? were she and chang speaking chinese?

pierce0415
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:36 AM
thanks !!!
glad to see Na was happy
I doubt Shuai and Michael speak Chinese - he barely speaks it :help:

drake3781
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:39 AM
;10468845']sounds like patty. :D

so peng was hitting the ball well? were she and chang speaking chinese?

You know Peng faces Patty in 2R? (Assuming Peng beats her 1R opponent - she drew a Qualifier.)

I thought Chang doesn't speak Chinese? :confused: Anyway, I couldn't hear them; they were talking close together, and was another court between us anyway.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the report. ;)

Did you watch enough of Sprem-Mattek to get a sense of how K-Lina was playing?

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Fedossova :hehehe:

-sugi-
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the report :) I always like hearing these kinds of things.

ViennaCalling
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Great report! Thx!

paranr
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Fedossova :hehehe:

wekk if Fedossova is a mixed between federer and Sharapova(or Safarova) than she is due to be number 1 in the world. ;)

RND
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Saw another small part of Fedossova-Chan (Yung-Jan). Fedossova is very, very tall :eek: . Hits the ball very hard but a lot of misses and lot of service errors. Chan has great placement and very few errors, although she is kind of high-strung and emotional; I think she is a perfectionist who doesn't like to make any mistakes. I didn't see the end, but Chan won it.

Wow thank you. :D Glad to see someone actually cares about Yung-Jan. :tape: High-strung? Umm...I think she was just taking the match seriously.You know she's really had a bad season so far.If you've ever seen her play doubles these months,you'll find she is always pumped and motivated. :bounce: I love your reports,thanks again. :cool:

Frode
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Sun's coach was in the stands, with an "entourage" of people including probably his wife, two other men, and ..... Li Na!! (Li looked miserably cold, and tired/grouchy.) Sun's coach - who I later saw is Li's coach too - came down between each set, and talked to Sun calmly and quietly by her side.

Na Li is married to her coach, is she not?

Thanks for the report.

And stop complaining about Florida weather, there is a fucking snowstorm here!;)

tobi
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Thanx for it ;)

doris_hdz
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the report.

Martie
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:03 AM