PDA

View Full Version : Charleston a Joke..

austennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Can you believe that we have one of the years biggest Tier 1 Titles and Nicole (who i think is great) is the no.1 seed at 8th in the world.. Here is a tier 1 where there is only 2 women (Venus & Serena) who have won a grandslam or played in a final where as there 6 former GS champs who have pulled out..
This has to stop, all the pullouts make womens tennis look pathetic when compared to the mens..

Players Missing
Henin (5slams), Sharapova(2slams), Kuznetsova(1 Slam), Mauresmo(2 Slams), Clijsters(1 Slam), Hingis(5 Slams), Petrova, Dementieva, Hantchuchova, Chakvetadze,

The Daviator
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:37 AM
It's awful, no way would you see this scenario at an ATP Masters event, so I don't know why it's the case for a women's tier I :help:

What's wrong with Hingis anyway? :scratch:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I guess I read she had a hip problem? :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Although to be perfectly fair, the only players ranked above Nikki who aren't ACTUALLY injured are Kim and Nadia :shrug:

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
It's awful, no way would you see this scenario at an ATP Masters event, so I don't know why it's the case for a women's tier I :help:

What's wrong with Hingis anyway? :scratch:

exactely. other than those who are really injured you would never see a list of such important players not participating in a master. pff :fiery:

sundoulos
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Too many tier one tournaments. What is it IW, Miami, Charleston in 2 months? Players are either injured, or tired.

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Too many tier one tournaments. What is it IW, Miami, Charleston in 2 months? Players are either injured, or tired.

excuses to 95 %

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
the men have to play the same two masters both of which are mandatory while the women only have Miami as mandatory then the men have Monte Carlo with the break for Fed Cup this year but if it wasn't there it would be the same....it's about the same if you ask me....I dunno why all the withdrawals.....I hope they are all being "fined"...not like it hurts their pockets but you know principle is principle....they fined the sisters last year so all these people better has be getting the same treatment

Slutiana
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM

its gonna get even more cramped up with all this roadmap bs

poor WTA...they obviously haven't kept there prommises to the tourniie because of injuries..charlesdon has a total of 0 top 5 players...this means a serious payout from the WTA lol at least this gives tati a great draw and chance to follow up from her great tournie at AI she ownes Schnyder!

charmedRic
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM
It will be a good tournament for all the young guns to prove that they wont choke with opportunities like these present themselves, also it will be a good tournament for them to get a taste of Williams Prowess. All I hope is that Venus finds her form, and that ALL injuries to ALL the ladies STOP ASAP.

GoDominique
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM
And this, boys and girls, is the reason why we need to have mandatory tournaments. :)

©@®eLess
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
and even with the crappy field JJ still gets the worse draw...i mean every single player she lost to this year are in her draw (Santangelo, Li and Serena)

charmedRic
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM
and even with the crappy field JJ still gets the worse draw...i mean every single player she lost to this year are in her draw (Santangelo, Li and Serena)

it's yet another chance to prove herself. she can do it.

Nicolás89
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM
i like that this tournament :D

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:08 AM
yeah... these repetitions are getting on my nerves..... all draws look the same no matter if the players are better/worse ranked.

LostGlory
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:14 AM
No I think we need more top players....I think its more harming and pathetic for women's tennis that Serena after being injured and out of the game is winning every tourney she participate in.....this is what is hurting the game.....

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM
It also shows how much some of the European playes don't take the green clay tournies seriously. Let's be honest, the red clay is different from the green clay. Can someone explain why they won't make the american clay tournies on red clay?

How is Serena winning every tournament she participates in, hurting women's tennis? People will watch tennis again because the Williams Sisters are playing again. They have star power. So does Maria Sharapova. If players are injured, then they need to rest and prepare for bigger tournaments.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM
No I think we need more top players....I think its more harming and pathetic for women's tennis that Serena after being injured and out of the game is winning every tourney she participate in.....this is what is hurting the game.....

:haha:

ok, whatever you say :wavey:

BrianII
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:32 AM
And this, boys and girls, is the reason why we need to have mandatory tournaments. :)
and how exactly will mandatory tournaments solve this problem .. I can only see it being made worse

partbrit
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Last year in Charleston, there were only two Grand Slam winners--Henin and Kuznetsova. In 2005, there were three--Henin, Venus and Dementieva.

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Sorry, but I have to ask: SInce when was Charleston "one of the top Tier 1's"? There are plenty of other Tier 1's that regularly get a better field (overall) than Charleston.

But it does suck with all the pull outs at the last minute.

Marcus1979
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Charleston still has a long way to go to be comparable to Tokyo fields :o

tennnisfannn
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Where was this arguement in 05 when the belgians were getting back from injury. Kim lost to venus in antwerp and proceeded to win IW and Miami and every in the US. Justine lost miami to sharapova and went on to win charleston berlin or rome and the FO. serena so far lost her first tourny to bammer and is on a streak, champions do that.Only someone forgeot to tell Venus;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Charleston hasn't had a GREAT field since 2005 :shrug: But Serena and Venus are here, and one of them'll go deep (99.9% Serena), so I mean the US fans will be fine, and they'll probably sell out of tickets for Serena's sessions too.

But I mean on an international level, yeah this tourney really does stink.

Although...;) I'm not complaining :yeah:

Lindsayfanumber1
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Poor Charleston :(
:tape: :o

drake3781
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I was :eek: at the large crowd for Qualies today. The tournament must be doing very well, regardless of who plays. I can tell you at Cincinnati, there is hardly anybody there for Qualies.

rjd1111
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Can you believe that we have one of the years biggest Tier 1 Titles and Nicole (who i think is great) is the no.1 seed at 8th in the world.. Here is a tier 1 where there is only 2 women (Venus & Serena) who have won a grandslam or played in a final where as there 6 former GS champs who have pulled out..
This has to stop, all the pullouts make womens tennis look pathetic when compared to the mens..

Players Missing
Henin (5slams), Sharapova(2slams), Kuznetsova(1 Slam), Mauresmo(2 Slams), Clijsters(1 Slam), Hingis(5 Slams), Petrova, Dementieva, Hantchuchova, Chakvetadze,

I think those players have developed a new Injury that might
spread thru out the WTA

Its called....Serenaitis.

mckyle.
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I was :eek: at the large crowd for Qualies today. The tournament must be doing very well, regardless of who plays. I can tell you at Cincinnati, there is hardly anybody there for Qualies.

Charleston will bring out the traditionalist tennis fans. They come to see any tennis, good or bad. Charleston has always had a great reputation for great fans.

wateva
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Players Missing
since when has kim committed to this event?
she has never played on this surface and will most definitely not in her last year. :lol:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I don't buy the injuries for a minute!

The real question for the top players (who don't need the match practice like Venus -- and maybe even Serena) is why does one want to transition in 10 days or whatever after Miami (hardcourts) to the clay season?

Especially when both Amelia Island and Charleston are on green clay which is different from the red clay of Europe and the spring season culminating in the French Open.

It makes sense that all of a sudden the top contenders for the French Open are "injured." Charleston no longer makes any sense for the top women who don't need the money but are gunning for the prestige of the slams.

So, they say that a twinge is something that needs "several weeks to a month" to work through. They go to Europe. They practice on red clay. Then play the tournaments to gear up for the French. Logical.

The US clay tournaments as they are now, are no longer logical for the top contenders to pursue.

stevos
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM
At least the Williams are there :shrug:

If they pulled out, people would be flipping :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
It's honestly a Tier III w/ Vee and Ree there :shrug:

gary
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
the worst tier I ever ? it's even worse than Tokyo :help: :tape:

all_slam_andre
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I like green clay. It is a surface that pretty much suits any style of play possible. It also is a middle ground and stepping stone between the hardcourts and red clay to help players with the transition between these surfaces. However possibly this tournament and AI would have more luck with their fields if they changed their surfaces to red clay. Possibly many players nowadays don't think that the green clay offers good enough preparation for the French Open.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't go THAT far ;)

at least Vee and Ree are here :yeah:

It'd be MUCH better though if they were on opposite sides though :mad:

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM
It's honestly a Tier III w/ Vee and Ree there :shrug:

Tier 3's would think themselves lucky if they could get both WS, plus Vaidisova, plus Jankovic, plus Schnyder, plus Safina, plus Ivanovic, plus Peer, plus Golovin. They may not have much of the top 10, but they have most of 11-20! You got 10 of the top 20, plus Venus. It's not THAT bad. It just looks bad with all the withdrawals. Also don't forget that Elena and Amelie are also injured, so they wouldn't play anyway...

Dexter
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I actually love this field. Shame only Justine couldn't come.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Tier 3's would think themselves lucky if they could get both WS, plus Vaidisova, plus Jankovic, plus Schnyder, plus Safina, plus Ivanovic, plus Peer, plus Golovin. They may not have much of the top 10, but they have most of 11-20! You got 10 of the top 20, plus Venus. It's not THAT bad. It just looks bad with all the withdrawals. Also don't forget that Elena and Amelie are also injured, so they wouldn't play anyway...

Maybe not a Tier III, but I mean apart from the WS, this is a relatively weak draw....now in about 8 or so years when most of these players will have been in the top 5 it'll be stronger, but I mean for the #1 seed to be #8 in the world is kinda bad :o

That being said, I do think it's a solid draw, but honestly, you can almost point out who will be in the finals, and both of them will probably lose 3 sets combined on their way there.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I actually love this field. Shame only Justine couldn't come.
conflict of interest much :cool:;)

Mina Vagante
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM
i agree, it is very bad, but it gives the lower ranked players a chance to compete :shrug:

Louis Cyphre
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
This is ridiculous!!! A Tier I tournament with $1,340,000 prize money and ...

For me the Top7 players in the world says something like:
"Fuck off tennis fans, we will not play! Why? Coz we can,idiots"

And if it was only in that tournament its ok, but its happens all the time.And they withdrew at the last moment with "injuiries" :mad:

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe not a Tier III, but I mean apart from the WS, this is a relatively weak draw....now in about 8 or so years when most of these players will have been in the top 5 it'll be stronger, but I mean for the #1 seed to be #8 in the world is kinda bad :o

That being said, I do think it's a solid draw, but honestly, you can almost point out who will be in the finals, and both of them will probably lose 3 sets combined on their way there.

"Apart from the WS it's weak"??? So the other 9 in the top 20 don't mean anything? Come on! I know it's not the best field they could have, but it's really not that bad either!

jazar
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
it'll give the other players a chance to come through and make it more interesting

The Dawntreader
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Its like a mass exodus of the top players:help:

Hingis now out!?:scratch:

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
This is ridiculous!!! A Tier I tournament with $1,340,000 prize money and ...

For me the Top7 players in the world says something like:
"Fuck off tennis fans, we will not play! Why? Coz we can,idiots"

And if it was only in that tournament its ok, but its happens all the time.And they withdrew at the last moment with "injuiries" :mad:

Yeah because they don't know how to schedule, plus the WTA schedulde in these 2 months (March-April) is very busy with 3x tier 1's and a tier 2...makes it very tough! (And they aren't changing it in the roadmap either). :(

The Dawntreader
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
i agree, it is very bad, but it gives the lower ranked players a chance to compete :shrug:

True it does give chances for the lower ranked players to shine. However sometimes, with the complete lack of top players, those players could overshadow the whole tourny:lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Good chance for the lower ranked players to win some points, who needs top stars in every tournament. The lower ranked players can also bring some quality and drama (referring to yesterday's semi final) so I won't complain.

Josh.
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
maybe someone will take this (in our view) a bad draw and turn it into a chance to break through :shrug:

Chrissie-fan
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM

The real question for the top players (who don't need the match practice like Venus -- and maybe even Serena) is why does one want to transition in 10 days or whatever after Miami (hardcourts) to the clay season?

Especially when both Amelia Island and Charleston are on green clay which is different from the red clay of Europe and the spring season culminating in the French Open.

It makes sense that all of a sudden the top contenders for the French Open are "injured." Charleston no longer makes any sense for the top women who don't need the money but are gunning for the prestige of the slams.

So, they say that a twinge is something that needs "several weeks to a month" to work through. They go to Europe. They practice on red clay. Then play the tournaments to gear up for the French. Logical.

The US clay tournaments as they are now, are no longer logical for the top contenders to pursue.
Some players' injuries are probably for real while others have had some disappointing losses recently and are licking their wounds. Those things combined with the green clay argument you mention are probably responsible for the poor field at Charleston.

Mileen
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Although to be perfectly fair, the only players ranked above Nikki who aren't ACTUALLY injured are Kim and Nadia :shrug:

Well, Kim is injured though, during her last match her back got completely blocked/stuck. But she doesn't normally play Charleston anyway.

TomTennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
If the number 8 in the world was top seed for an ATP Masters event, they would think that the world had ended and it would be the biggest traversty in mens tennis ever!!!

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM
If the number 8 in the world was top seed for an ATP Masters event, they would think that the world had ended and it would be the biggest traversty in mens tennis ever!!!

Yeah - difference is, Masters are mandatory. Tier 1's for WTA are NOT.

Louis Cyphre
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM

WTA fans are used to it :lol:
But I`m angry coz if its not a slam you will see two really great players only in the final of some(not all Tier I tournaments).
No disrespect to Golovin,Bammer, and Ivanovic(like the semis of Amelia Island) but they cant even reach the level of matches between players like Henin,Williams,Sharapova,Kim,Hingis,Mauresmo,Kuzne tsova,Dementieva,Myskina...

The whole situation is disgusting,they act like primadonnas :fiery:

Hashim.
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM
ya its a big joke..

Uranus
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Kim never played there so there's no reason she should start for her last year on tour.
Nadia... it's weird. Easy pts and easy money for her here.

Hashim.
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Kim never played there so there's no reason she should start for her last year on tour.

ur right Nadia should have played..there were definately easier points..

PLP
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:07 PM
The problem is that all of the players have legitimate injury/medical reasons for not playing. Not much the WTA or Charleston can do about that, but it is terrible timing for the tournament.

I wish all of the top 6 (except Kim who was never entered) very quick recoveries! :)

Martina! Strengthen that hip!! I am sick of it being sore after 3-setters! :kiss:
I hope JuJu has is getting her breathing problems under control, Momo's recovery after surgery is swift, Sveta's wrist is OK soon, and that Masha is fit and healed everywhere! Come on!!! :worship:

Spiritof42
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Why isn't Petrova defending her title?

hectopascal
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Relax, it's just a joke.

Sexysova
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
good luck NIKKI :):hearts:

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM

cos she's not stupid to make the same mistake twice. Playing Indian Wells, Miami, Amelia Island and Charleston is :help: We know what happened last spring when she was trying something like that.

nouf
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Players Missing

no problem this tournament is for tati

all_slam_andre
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Petrova has made the right decision not to play here. Forget about ranking points, she doesn't want to overdo it and injure herself ahead of the French Open (the only one of the 4 grand slams that she has a chance of winning). Last year she racked up the titles at Amelia Island, Charleston and Berlin, before injuring herself at Rome. She needed to lighten her schedule slightly

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I know, but I was just saying that she was ranked higher and not there. She never plays green clay, right?

radwanska
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
No Nadia dont pull out:mad: :mad: You have points to defend here...........
(2) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (3) Patty Schnyder (SUI) 63 46 61

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
No Nadia dont pull out:mad: :mad: You have points to defend here...........
(2) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (3) Patty Schnyder (SUI) 63 46 61

:scratch: She already has pulled out.

Kunal
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
boah

Paneru
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Oh the irony! :tape:

1. A T1 w/both WS healthy & the 7 top ranked players
in the world are missing due to injury or whatever.

2. Less outrage over the top 7 pulling out, yet Venus
alone got more flack for pulling out of Antwerp this year
despite people knowing she was coming back from wrist surgery.

3. All the negative things being said of Serena from being
fat to not caring for tennis, yet someone in this thread had
the audasity to complain about her playing a winning. And
having won beating the top two players in the world more
than once.

:haha: @ WS fans suppossedly overreacting! WS down,
they are neglecting & disrespecting tennis. WS up,
winning becomes bad for tennis!

Oh my! :lol:

Go figure! :cool:

égalité
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Kim :scratch:

Oh yeah, HER! She used to play tennis or something, right?

Nicolás89
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Oh the irony! :tape:

1. A T1 w/both WS healthy & the 7 top ranked players
in the world are missing due to injury or whatever.

ok i see the irony

2. Less outrage over the top 7 pulling out, yet Venus
alone got more flack for pulling out of Antwerp this year
despite people knowing she was coming back from wrist surgery.

well people get bored of the same story

3. All the negative things being said of Serena from being
fat to not caring for tennis, yet someone in this thread had
the audasity to complain about her playing a winning. And
having won beating the top two players in the world more
than once.

well she was fat (at least to me) in ao
and can you blame him/her serena is beating his/her favs

:haha: @ WS fans suppossedly overreacting! WS down,
they are neglecting & disrespecting tennis. WS up,
winning becomes bad for tennis!

well not playing the indoor season cause they want to go to africa is a bit disrespectful i mean for that is the off season ;)

Volcana
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Here is a tier 1 where there is only 2 women (Venus & Serena) who have won a grandslam or played in a finalAnd one of them will be gone after the third round

wally1
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:25 AM

The US clay tournaments as they are now, are no longer logical for the top contenders to pursue.The WTA doesn't seem to agree with you as Charleston is one of the "premier 20" events in the new Roadmap, and may even turn out to be mandatory.

TomasUli
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
No wonder we hardly get to watch any WTA tournaments on TV... the field is usually weak, with many stars skipping the big tournaments week after week. This has got to stop. :rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM
The WTA doesn't seem to agree with you as Charleston is one of the "premier 20" events in the new Roadmap, and may even turn out to be mandatory.

which is imho REALLT dumb, because they have 4 "premier" events in a row, 3 of which are A's, and therefore mandatory. :weirdo: (@WTA Tour).

LUXXXAS
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Oh please! Serena is here so they are so lucky :D she's real No.1 which makes every field great, even without most Top 10 (boring) players :D

terjw
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
cos she's not stupid to make the same mistake twice. Playing Indian Wells, Miami, Amelia Island and Charleston is :help: We know what happened last spring when she was trying something like that.

In which case why did Nadia enter those 4 tournaments in a row in the first place. You should consider these things when you commit to a tournament and submit your schedule. If she hasn't got a serious injury preventing her from playing and that's her reason - it's as unprofessional and disrespectful as you can get.

Melly Flew Us
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
what is pathetic is that you cannot recognise the genius of serena - 8 times slam winner. very disrespectful.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
In which case why did Nadia enter those 4 tournaments in a row in the first place. You should consider these things when you commit to a tournament and submit your schedule. If she hasn't got a serious injury preventing her from playing and that's her reason - it's as unprofessional and disrespectful as you can get.

Nadia's never committed to play Charleston-2007...

Nicolás89
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM

they do their calendar according on how they are feeling every week, maybe in previous years she was feeling fine and really didnt care about injuries cause she never really played more than 3 match per tournament, but then she was winning tournaments, playing 5 matches per tournaments so the injury problem finally get to her, and btw she never comitted to charleston like someone said