PDA

View Full Version : Some new tennis questions from Supergrunt!!!

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
1. How Do I Get more topspin on my second serve
2. What is the proper footwork for short balls?
3. Is it right to just pivot my back foot when I am doing open-stance and then make adjustments?
4. How can I hit my grounstrokes harder?

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
1. other than technique you can look for a new string that is good for topspin. maybe one thats rough.

Craigy
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Get a coach.

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:35 AM
1. other than technique you can look for a new string that is good for topspin. maybe one thats rough.

maybe, I never really paid that much attention to the string. :shrug:

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
i string myself and its really an important matter :P for example just this week i strung my o3 white with a new string and it sucked. now i put another string on and its so much better. but i still am waiting for that luxilon ace to come. i think this will be such a great string.

btw. i hate playing topspin. i hit flat and slices, but rarely topspin :p

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well I want a second serve that jumps up really high :(

Mightymirza
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM

pray for it tonite ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm sure you can find these answers at many places, but I'll try my best with them:

1) Topspin is *from bottom up*. It's all in the wrist. So make sure, first, that your ball toss is a lil more behind your back and less in front of you. Then use your wrist to go from the bottom up on the ball, so it turns. Using your knees during that moment helps a lot too. Bend your knees when tossing, and push up when pushing up on the ball! The best way to see if you are using spin is to serve (or hit) on a fence: if the ball keeps on going up when it hits the fence, then your spin is good. If not, then keep working (you'll probably see what I mean if you do it). Second exercice: put yourself very very close to a tall fence, and try serving OVER it. You'll have to really go up and fast, and then apply it to your serve!

2) When running for a drop shot, it's better to have the racket in front of you when running, which can give you the extra few moments you need to have many options. When it is only a short and high ball to attack, just take long steps to get there, stop, adjust with very small steps, and hit the shit out of the ball like you always should on a short ball :p And then keep on moving to the net.

3) It's always better to make adjustments and then stop and ancre in the ground. On the other hand, when returning for example, when you don't have much time, hitting open stance often helps you to add some pop to your return.

4) It's all about timing and weight transfer man! First, make sure your contact point is optimal: in the maximal spot of your racket, and slightly in front of you. Make sure you do the shoulder turn, you transfer your weight from the back foot to the front. Sometimes seeing your whole body turn is a good sign of it. Also, don't forget to use your legs and bend your knees and go up when hitting the ball.

Hope that helps!
Good luck!

schorsch
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM
uff, that one i cant do that well either. you need to sort of throw the ball backwards and put spin on it on the top... hard to learn... hehe

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM
thank you. :)

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM
You're welcome, i can't wait to coach this summer again :D

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM
xCharlDax and schorch

thomas.chung
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'm sure you can find these answers at many places, but I'll try my best with them:

1) Topspin is *from bottom up*. It's all in the wrist. So make sure, first, that your ball toss is a lil more behind your back and less in front of you. Then use your wrist to go from the bottom up on the ball, so it turns. Using your knees during that moment helps a lot too. Bend your knees when tossing, and push up when pushing up on the ball! The best way to see if you are using spin is to serve (or hit) on a fence: if the ball keeps on going up when it hits the fence, then your spin is good. If not, then keep working (you'll probably see what I mean if you do it). Second exercice: put yourself very very close to a tall fence, and try serving OVER it. You'll have to really go up and fast, and then apply it to your serve!

2) When running for a drop shot, it's better to have the racket in front of you when running, which can give you the extra few moments you need to have many options. When it is only a short and high ball to attack, just take long steps to get there, stop, adjust with very small steps, and hit the shit out of the ball like you always should on a short ball :p And then keep on moving to the net.

3) It's always better to make adjustments and then stop and ancre in the ground. On the other hand, when returning for example, when you don't have much time, hitting open stance often helps you to add some pop to your return.

4) It's all about timing and weight transfer man! First, make sure your contact point is optimal: in the maximal spot of your racket, and slightly in front of you. Make sure you do the shoulder turn, you transfer your weight from the back foot to the front. Sometimes seeing your whole body turn is a good sign of it. Also, don't forget to use your legs and bend your knees and go up when hitting the ball.

Hope that helps!
Good luck!

Good stuff!
1.) Yup
2.) Yup
3.) Yup
4.) Yup & although you might never have the power of Serena. But one thing you can copy from her is her early preparation. Most of Serena's errors actually come from late preparation that results in her contacting the ball late and spraying it (and hitting it on her back foot). So I'd say early preparation is a key here cause it allows you to time the ball better and with better timing comes better weight transfer as well.

Plus, the same ol' shit from me, HIT MORE BALLS! get a coach. and have fun.

With strings, I suggest you try a few strings before settling on one. For equipments I think stability is very important, because it will "grow up" with your game. So spend a few more hours trying our some racquets, strings and small things like that to find a one that you feel comfortable the most.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
You are right thomas_chung, i forgot about preparation. Not only is it good for your technique, it is good mentally also. The moment you prepare early, you know what is coming and it helps you to be decisive. Being decisive is also important for hitting hard. the moment you have one single doubt in your mind, chances are your timing won't be incredible and the ball you hit won't have the pop you are looking for. For preparation, look at Venus' backhand too. The moment she sees the ball going to her left side, the racket is already back, wrists ready, and she moves in this position. This gives her extra time to adjust when getting to the ball.

Dunlop1
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Oh my goodness are ppl actually replying this fraud???

This is the same guy who said he is a coach!!! Yet he is asking questions any junior can tell you.

Supergrunt, stop with the madness right now. I know you are the official retard and troll and all but stop it. Just STOP IT.

YOu are getting a bad rep for this!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:38 AM
OMG...a bad rep....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

supergrunt
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:39 AM
And to clarify something, I am not a coach. I guess that was a bad word to use. At that time I was trying to improve my brother's consinstency by feeding him balls.

cellophane
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:41 AM
And to clarify something, I am not a coach. I guess that was a bad word to use. At that time I was trying to improve my brother's consistency by feeding him balls.

I hope they got him to the hospital in time.

cellophane
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know how to hit with more topspin? I'm trying to break my neighbour's window, but my shots are usually land in his driveway. :confused:

Dunlop1
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Does anyone know how to hit with more topspin? I'm trying to break my neighbour's window, but my shots are usually land in his driveway. :confused:

:lol: :lol:

lecciones
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Get a coach.

If you are continually having questions about your game, this is the best solution. Oh btw I just read the jokes above, LOL funny :)

Russianboy
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

You have to throw the ball a bit more to the left when you serve. So it gets more topspin

ioni
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM

:haha: :haha:

jazar
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
change your grip on your serve

supergrunt
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
How do you play:
1. People who hit with alot of topspin
*2. People who hit weird slices and dropshots on every shot
3. People who get alot of balls back?

* Yesterday I played someone like this and I didn't know what to do because he would hit short balls with backspin and sidespin and then hit a deep moonball and then hit a drop shot and then hit a lob and it just made me crazy because I kept finding myself in no-man's land. :tears:

hingisGOAT
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
A Williams fan with an interest in the sport itself? You jest.

supergrunt
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM
A Williams fan with an interest in the sport itself? You jest.

And I have yet to find a Hingis fan with anything intelligent to say. :o

thomas.chung
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It's all footwork in that case. You have to get to the ball and adjust to the spin. It is something that is done with practice and experience. With experience, you will know how the ball spins by just looking at the way the guy chop it and adjust to it accordingly.

Blackbeat
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM
1. How Do I Get more topspin on my second serve

look at Serena....:wavey:

LindsayRulz
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I hope they got him to the hospital in time.

:lol:

supergrunt
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
OK
So I was watching something and I noticed that this player always bent, but then straightened their legs before they hit the ball. From a bent position they pushed up and then their legs were straight before they hit the ball. I started noticing that alot of players do that. Why? Also, how do you attack short balls that don't bounce over the level of the net?

Slutiana
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
OK
So I was watching something and I noticed that this player always bent, but then straightened their legs before they hit the ball. From a bent position they pushed up and then their legs were straight before they hit the ball. I started noticing that alot of players do that. Why? Also, how do you attack short balls that don't bounce over the level of the net?

its the bodywiet transfer through the legs into you arm..basically that helps them get more power than just using their arm..

and for low short balls you have to bend you knees and accellerate the racket head upwards so you can get topspin on the ball which will help the ball get over the net...

as you can see, im never gonna be a coach..maybe a pro tho:tape: lol

schorsch
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
hihi :-) i do the slice, moonball, lob thing, too.. but only when i sense that my groundstrokes are rubbish that day and my opponent so much stronger. its so nice getting all sorts of frustration at the other side of the net.
people who use topspin hate it when the ball has got backspin on it or changes direction dramatically once it's bounced. also every dropshot i made turned into a point as he couldnt adjust to the backspin.

i was so friggin' evil that day that i serve and volleyed a bit and it worked a few times. i was so proud of myself. i love charging the net. i love volleys... not matter what volleys :D

Slutiana
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM
hihi :-) i do the slice, moonball, lob thing, too.. but only when i sense that my groundstrokes are rubbish that day and my opponent so much stronger. its so nice getting all sorts of frustration at the other side of the net.
people who use topspin hate it when the ball has got backspin on it or changes direction dramatically once it's bounced. also every dropshot i made turned into a point as he couldnt adjust to the backspin.

i was so friggin' evil that day that i serve and volleyed a bit and it worked a few times. i was so proud of myself. i love charging the net. i love volleys... not matter what volleys :D

yeh same..especially on grass where you can dive...volleys, volleys, volleys...i couldnt live without them:drool:

schorsch
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM
i have never played on grass, but i want to do that once so badly. hell, i have never played on hardcourts, yet.

i play on carpet mainly and on clay as well.

volleys are just a gift from god :D

supergrunt
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:56 PM
So give heavy topspin hitters backspin :D ?

Nicolás89
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
serena is that you?? :scratch:

schorsch
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM
So give heavy topspin hitters backspin :D ?

of course that wont work always, but against club players as we are it's a good method to dismantle their game.

1. if you're good at slicing you can place the ball well without making a lot of UE. and moving your opponent around.
2. if you can vary your slices your opponent will find it hard to adjust their shots, because of the timing. sidespin, skidding slices, short slices, long slices... also you have dont need as much time.
3. when your opponent attacks all the time going for risky shots and you defend all the time hitting a low risk slice you can frustrate your opponent. it's him who mill make the fault first and he feels stupid.
4. when returning your opponent might think you'd slice it again, but drive through here and then... and whoops you got the return winner.
5. most baseliners arent that good at the net, so if you can disguise long slices with short ones and dropshots your opponent might be suprised and will only manage to lift the ball up high. follow the ball in and hit the winner/ volley. If the manage to get a decent length often they'll stay at the net and as lots of these baseliners are crappy at the net you can pass them easily or of course you can lob them and then charge the net for the smash / easy volley
6. if you see an opening and you're not sure wether to hit a winner or not you can also choose to apply sidespin right into the corner. that way it will skid away and drive your opponent out of the court. often players just run towards the spot where the ball bounces thinking they're in no trouble. if they are suprised you can easily hit the winner into the other corner or of course charge the net for a easy put away volley.

of course this wont work everytime and you have to mix it up well to keep up the effectiveness, but against certain players it sure works. i'm not the most experienced player and still taking lessons as well. so correct me when you think something is not smart/ not correct/ dangerous.

:angel:

supergrunt
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks schorsch :) !

Dunlop1
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM
OK
So I was watching something and I noticed that this player always bent, but then straightened their legs before they hit the ball. From a bent position they pushed up and then their legs were straight before they hit the ball. I started noticing that alot of players do that. Why?

This is the lastest innovation from IMG academies and it's taken the tennis world by storm. It is called Active Stretching System, ASS for short.
Basically, you bend the legs then straighten before you contact each ball, thus using ASS on every point. It has been scientifically proven to reduce cramps by .123456789% (based on a test done on the players in Nigeria 5k qualies)
Those who use this system are called Active System Stretchers. YOU TOO CAN BE AN ASS :yeah:

Also, how do you attack short balls that don't bounce over the level of the net?

Be an ASS :yeah:

Dunlop1
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks Dunlop1 :) !

You're welcome ASS :D

schorsch
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM
dunlop1 relax a bit. you're supposed to be a senior member. :/

supergrunt
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM
I am trying to transfer my weight from my right leg to my left leg when I do open stance. How can I do this with out jerking my body so far to the left and that effects the shot b/c it always go cross-court. I don't think this is right- what am I doing wrong?

backhanddtl4
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM
practice serving from your knees...this forces you to use topspin because you have to hit UP on the ball in order for it to go over the net(unless you're freakishly tall) then, eventually you will be able to stand and put a good amount of topspin on the serve. remember... EXPLODE UP when hitting a topspin serve