PDA

View Full Version : This is why the US doesn't show much womens tennis.

MisterMan
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Is this Golovin-Ivanovic match a bore or what ? I'm having trouble staying awake.
Players not pumped up.
Commentators barely speaking.
Cliff calling Venus 'Serena' twice.
Endless talk about the temperature.

And these are two of the 'hottest' players on tour.
zzzzzzzz.

Danke Anke
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
are you effing kidding me? it's been a great match..

égalité
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
No one's making you watch it.

MisterMan
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
uh, no it's not and i stopped watching.
it sucks.

cosmoose
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
MisterMan, please get a clue! :fiery:

MisterMan
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
these 2 act like they could care less about the outcome.
Guess i'm just used to Maria, V, and S.

ViennaCalling
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
:weirdo:

frenchie
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I think the match is entertaining!

The french commentator said that Ana's boyfriend is french

AKfanatic
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Its a good match quality-wise! i'm enjoying it, Golovin-Ivanovic is a good match.

Natash.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Is this Golovin-Ivanovic match a bore or what ? I'm having trouble staying awake.
Players not pumped up.

zzzzzzzz.

:rolleyes: I'd rather have a good quality match than people just fist pumping and error after error.

MisterMan
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Oh, ok. Thought I had an opinion. Nevermind , byebye !

cosmoose
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
^ http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-069.gif

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Ken, you're right. It's a bit of a snore.

bridgepea
I am watching it and you can see where I am. Very boring. No drama, nothing. Just get the ball in play and keep it in play. Even the people who are there are bored out of their minds. Just barely applauding the winners. No participation from the crowd at all.

Wannabeknowitall
This has been a very good match.
I think they're hot. I love their bodies. I love their games.
I love the strategies being involved in this match.

I love the way that Ivanovic is choosing wisely when to come into the net on clay, something Venus didn't quite do, and it's working for the most part.

Anna F'd Enrique
It is boring to me too.

Frode
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
And we have a winner in todays "Most Stupid Thread Contest":worship:

UDACHi
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
it's a very entertaining match. have you seen some of the points that they've put together?

champGS1452
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I've been really enjoying it. They're both hitting winner after winner. Finally a nice quality match.

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Just because these two are not Americans or big names to the general public does not make this match boring. It has prob been one of the higher quality matches on clay for the women in the last couple of years. They are constructing points, playing with variety, and hitting winners or almost winners on every other point. Very entertaining for the true tennis enthusiaste.

Lulu.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Dont watch it then

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Just because these two are not Americans or big names to the general public does not make this match boring. It has prob been one of the higher quality matches on clay for the women in the last couple of years. They are constructing points, playing with variety, and hitting winners or almost winners on every other point. Very entertaining for the true tennis enthusiaste.

:worship: :worship:
Exactly, those who really do love tennis for what it's about will find it entertaining.
Those who don't and have basically no idea what these girls are trying to do out there, will not enjoy it.
Also some people who are a little annoyed that Venus is not in this match, will not enjoy it.

Nicolas
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM
So ana is not single? Who is this mysterious French boyfriend?

starin
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
:worship: :worship:
Exactly, those who really do love tennis for what it's about will find it entertaining.
Those who don't and have basically no idea what these girls are trying to do out there, will not enjoy it.
Also some people who are a little annoyed that Venus is not in this match, will not enjoy it.

seriously what is your beef with Venus. :lol: you bring her up in every thread.
anyhoo...quality is very good but I can understand why someone said its boring. Crowd's not into the match at all. Quality of tennis is very high but oddly there's no excitement. I like Ivanovic very much as a player but the match is lacking something. And it's not just cuz Venus is not in the match.

LoveFifteen
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
If a match isn't full of hideous shrieks, countless unforced errors, and endless overhitting, it's ain't tennis! It's just boring. :unsure:

sweetpeas
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I've been really enjoying it. They're both hitting winner after winner. Finally a nice quality match.

YEP? Very Nice!

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
The match is missing drama. That's all. The crowd is not that knowledgable in Amelia Island. They like their Americans or players that they want to beat other players that they for some reason don't like. The crowd really doesn't know much about either player and just sees them as a couple of European girls playing really solid tennis. The crowd hasn't picked a side because neither player has been that personable on court.

Conor
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
This match is brilliant!! :) :) :) Ivanovic is great to watch when shes just hitting freely... as is Tatiana. Id much rather see these 2 play than watch Venus shanking the ball against the back fence every other point... these 2 are showing Venus how its done ;) :lol:

coolconchi
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
its a great match! :)

How is Ana not pumped up with her constant screams of "right there" when she hits a winner!

Love ana - its like watching a better looking Jenn! ;)

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
seriously what is your beef with Venus. :lol: you bring her up in every thread.
anyhoo...quality is very good but I can understand why someone said its boring. Crowd's not into the match at all. Quality of tennis is very high but oddly there's no excitement. I like Ivanovic very much as a player but the match is lacking something. And it's not just cuz Venus is not in the match.

You told me to open my eyes about the dislike of Venus on forum.
How about you open yours about the like of Venus on this forum to the point of where it warps people's heads about what a good match is.

It's fucking cold and people are trying to stay warm.
Plus they realy haven't decided which player to like.

I'm very excited about this match and I'm sure people there are as well.
I'm sure either players will find out that they have some fans now in the stands from this performance, ones that will stay loyal for a long time.

I don't quite get why their crowd's response to the match should change my opinion about a relatively good match in the first place.
If they're able to do that then you didn't really enjoy it in the first place.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
It's a really fun match. My faves are not playing, but I would not say that this is a boring match. Golovin is showing why she is good on clay. The same goes for Ivanovic.

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

starin
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
How about you open yours about the like of Venus on this forum to the point of where it warps people's heads about what a good match is.

I'm sure either players will find out that they have some fans now in the stands from this performance, ones that will stay loyal for a long time.

I don't quite get why their crowd's response to the match should change my opinion about a relatively good match in the first place.

are you kidding me? what makes world cup and olympics so exciting? What makes football games so exciting? It's the fact that the crowd is so into the match. They want someone to win, they are living with each shot. That's why people go to sports bars. having the people get involved, having it feel as though something is on the line makes a match or game exciting. This is a high quality match but but the crowd is sapping the energy from the match. It just looks like two girls playing in the first round of a tournament not a SF.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
This is a high quality match but but the crowd is sapping the energy from the match. It just looks like two girls playing in the first round of a tournament not a SF.

Excellent observation. That's exactly what's going on. Because the quality of this match is high. We're in a third set, but I find my self dozing a bit. The crowd just doesn't sound in it.

(or it could be that I'm operating on a couple hours sleep, cause I'm keeping Newborn hours :unsure: )

carling
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
What match is this dude watching? This is a very well played match! Excellent rallies, lots of winners, few errors. I'm loving it!

GO TATI!!!!

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
This is a high quality match but but the crowd is sapping the energy from the match. It just looks like two girls playing in the first round of a tournament not a SF.

Excellent observation. That's exactly what's going on. Because the quality of this match is high. We're in a third set, but I find my self dozing a bit. The crowd just doesn't sound in it.

(or it could be that I'm operating on a couple hours sleep, cause I'm keeping Newborn hours :unsure: )

Duka333
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:03 PM
What are you talking about? It has been a great match. high quality tennis.
It's really frustrating watching Ana waste so many break oppurtunities though.

Ajde Ana!!!

Conor
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Cold???? :eek: Its 14C!!! :lol: :lol:

bridgepea
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
That is what is frustrating me and makes the match very boring - too many wasted opportunities - it is like everytime something good happens to Ana she decides well I don't want it let me give it back - it is just so frustrating and the commentators are really not helping because the commentary is just blah

LDF
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM

That's cold for Florida :p

LoveFifteen
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Why don't these girls scream when they hit the ball? They aren't very good at tennis.

Conor
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
That's cold for Florida :p

Yeah probably is but still... cold enough for coats and gloves??? I could get a tan outa that! :lol:

MisterMan
well well well. Glad to see i'm not the only one who is sleeping thru this crap.
The people in the stands are NOT EVEN APPLAUDING.
There is really nothing here.
Goodbye to US televised tennis.

GoDominique
Sorry but a great match this ain't.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM
are you kidding me? what makes world cup and olympics so exciting? What makes football games so exciting? It's the fact that the crowd is so into the match. They want someone to win, they are living with each shot. That's why people go to sports bars. having the people get involved, having it feel as though something is on the line makes a match or game exciting. This is a high quality match but but the crowd is sapping the energy from the match. It just looks like two girls playing in the first round of a tournament not a SF.

That's :bs:.
Tennis is different from those sports. People know what they are coming for in those sports.
So in tennis, a match is what you make out of it not what the crowd makes out of it.

I was at the US Open last year watching Tatiana play Nadia.
The crowd was boring except for three people who I'm pretty sure are wtaworld posters, they called Golovin Tati and were rooting her on.
So what if the other people were not into the match, because they didn't know one player from the other.
The ones who did know, enjoyed the match, rooted on Tati, and according to them they were the crowd.

So I went to the next match with Tati against Anna Chakvetadze.
I happened to be sitting behind Tomas Berdych, who was rumored to be Anna's bf at the time.
Well he surely acted like it.
The crowd wasn't in the match but I didn't care, I enjoyed it, according to me, I was the crowd.

Even in the Lindsay/Srebotnik match, I expected more from the crowd on what could have been Lindsay's last US Open (which it is now confirmed to be).
They were there but part of me felt like they expected Lindsay to fail.
Screw that, I enjoyed the match, I was going to root Lindsay on as hard as I could.
And there might have been 20-30 people doing the same and they were the crowd.

I'm enjoying this match from my seat at home and regardless of the crowd not responding well to a good match, there's nothing missing from it for me because they don't make a match for me and I'm sure other wtaworld posters feel the same way.

cosmoose
I just want this match to go on longer so women's tennis can screw Nascar.
:p http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/finger.gif

-VSR-
I've been enjoying it. It's fun to watch a match and not care who wins. :lol:

Besides that there has been some great rallies and shots. ;)

Frode

14C! sounds like heaven. It's been fucking snowing here today:mad:

Conor
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
well well well. Glad to see i'm not the only one who is sleeping thru this crap.
The people in the stands are NOT EVEN APPLAUDING.
There is really nothing here.
Goodbye to US televised tennis.

Oh give over! Just cause its not 2 big loud mouthed Americans playing, these are 2 of the biggest talents in the world :rolleyes: And anyway, doesnt Golovin reside in Florida?? The crowd should be cheering her on instead of pretending its too cold to take their hands out off their pockets and clap. I mean, theres places where there is no tennis tournaments like here... people should take advantage of it cause I know I would...

faste5683
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Why don't these girls scream when they hit the ball? They aren't very good at tennis.

:lol:

Yeah, and when they hit the ball back over the net, the other player runs real hard and hits it over again! BORING!

:wavey:

faste5683
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I just want this match to go on longer so women's tennis can screw Nascar.
:p http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/finger.gif

:tape:

Now, you're what I call REAL tennis fan!

Rexman
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I agree the crowd has kinda sucked, but other than that it's been a good match I thought.

LoveFifteen
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Yeah, and when they hit the ball back over the net, the other player runs real hard and hits it over again! BORING!

I know ... SO BORING! It's so much more fun when the other player runs towards the ball, is out of position, goes for an absurd "winner", shanks the ball 3 feet behind the baseline, commits an unforced error, and lets her fans know that she's not getting beaten, just beating herself. :tape:

wally1
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
This was actually a very nice match to watch. Maybe some people just can't watch tennis anymore unless it's full of screaming and unforced errors.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Players not pumped up.

zzzzzzzz.

Are you kidding me? That was a very good match :tape:
Oh and nobody was forcing you to watch it...

Sefo
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
It's been a great match. Why are you playing the stupid?

harloo
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I enjoyed the match myself because I'm a tennis fan. However, the people coming in here proclaiming the match was awesome drama wise are sadly mistaken. I can see how some people could label this match as boring especially the casual fan who's only interested in their favorite player.

Somehow I wish Ana could of taken her opportunities because it would of been over sooner. Golovin really played her heart out and she seems to be getting better mentally which is great. It's a good win for her considering she's never beaten Ana.:D

Tennisaddict
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Whatever, this is has been a very good quality match.

Mr. Magassi
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I thought it was a great match... great hitting from both players...

Fidello
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Players not pumped up.

zzzzzzzz.
They should have wearing bikinis and cowboy hats. :rolleyes:

Just Do It
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
It was a good match !

faste5683
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I enjoyed the match myself because I'm a tennis fan. However, the people coming in here proclaiming the match was awesome drama wise are sadly mistaken. I can see how some people could label this match as boring especially the casual fan who's only interested in their favorite player.

Somehow I wish Ana could of taken her opportunities because it would of been over sooner. Golovin really played her heart out and she seems to be getting better mentally which is great. It's a good win for her considering she's never beaten Ana.:D

I agree. This thread reminds me of the "tennis snob" thread we had a few days ago. The "casual" fan only gets excited when their fav plays, the "snob" can become interested in just about any match that is of high quality tennis-wise. Looking at it in this perspective, who is really the "snob"?

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I agree. This thread reminds me of the "tennis snob" thread we had a few days ago. The "casual" fan only gets excited when their fav plays, the "snob" can become interested in just about any match that is of high quality tennis-wise. Looking at it in this perspective, who is really the "snob"?

:lol: That is a good perspective.

terjw
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
This was actually a very nice match to watch. Maybe some people just can't watch tennis anymore unless it's full of screaming and unforced errors.

Agree with that. I also enjoyed this match. And I enjoyed the Golovin vs Venus match before. But didn't you know that according to MisterMan the reason they televise these matches is not for people to watch the tennis at all - but to see and hear the crowd. :lol: In fact just for Misterman - they shouldn't show any actual tennis at all but just show shots of people in the crowd.

Monica_Rules
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
From what i saw it was a really good match

Monica_Rules
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
From what i saw it was a really good match

mckyle.
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I loved the match. Some of the forehands Ana hit scared the piss out of me. I wish I had her technique :)

Craigy
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
uh, no it's not and i stopped watching.
it sucks.

Not everyone shares the same opinion as you. Thankfully.

LadyLil
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I thought this was one of the better women's matches this year. I expected to doze off watching it but the shots they were making were just awesome.
Still not a big fan of Tatiana but AnaI got a new fan today even though she lost. I can't wait to see her when she's put her heart, mind and body together.

Bruno71
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
The crowd definitely sapped the energy from the match. I didn't look very closely but judging by the location I'd say the average age in that crowd might be 65 or so. This was a good match which at times was too error-filled from both players...certainly better than about 80% of the WTA matches I've seen in the last year and a half.

starin
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM

still you

Mightymirza
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah probably is but still... cold enough for coats and gloves??? I could get a tan outa that! :lol:

In case its a news to you, some people actually live in warn,sunny climate..:p I would be very cold at 14 C in mumbai :wavey: Its taking forever to be warm enough in NY though :o

medusamedulla
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM

[/SIZE]

Blame the crowd, not the players.
Ana :awww::kiss: Tati :hearts::kiss:

Jakeev
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Definitely one of the best matches of the year. The thread starter needs to take up women's spear fishing or just freaking find anothe website to stink up.......

piercerocks
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM
my mom liked it... and she hates womens tennis.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Definitely one of the best matches of the year. The thread starter needs to take up women's spear fishing or just freaking find anothe website to stink up.......

:lol: Agreed.

Louis Cyphre
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Players not pumped up.

zzzzzzzz.

Who cares about the opinion of the http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/n025.gif :shrug: