PDA

View Full Version : How can tennis players become overweight?

Apoorv
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I mean, they are working out so much and play a sport like tennis which requires so much movement, its really tough to be overweight for such people.
Not that being overweight means they have bad health, but its really an achievement to be overweight while being a pro tennis player.:rolleyes:

ViennaCalling
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
There can be no objection to a sweet cake.

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know, ask Marion Bartoli.

jazar
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
by eating too much or by doing too much heavy weight training

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
There are some players on tour with womenly curves, Serena, Kuznetsova, Clijsters, Golovin, Ivanovic, Bartoli, Zvonareva, Petrova and all these players are in the top 25.
Not everyone is made to be skinny.
If these players are confident in their bodies, then it helps them to also be confident in their games.

Some of the best movers on the tour have a little meat on their bones.
I'm watching a good match against two players who wouldn't be considered the standard tennis body, they're moving well and playing smart.

I don't see it as a big deal.
These are women that everyone can relate to that can be good role models for girls.
That I can have a little weight on me and still play tennis.
That I can have a little weight on me and still be an athlete.
That I can have some weight on me and be a cheerleader.

Apoorv
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Having curves is not being fat. A woman's body by nature has more fat but I am talking about players like Bartoli or Gronefeld, when serena put on fat, she was not playing much tennis. but when you are active and still putting on tyres around your belly, its a miracle.

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM
They aren't overweight by any means. They all have healthy bodies, but because they are athletes they tend to have more muscle mass than the average female. Also, the camera adds about 10 lbs. With all the training and playing that they do, there is little chance that they are going to gain a bunch of weight unless they have a slow Basel Metabolism. In most cases, skinny girls can't take the wear and tear of all the running and stress from the swings that these girls take. Players like Myskina and Hantuchova are exceptions.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Having curves is not being fat. A woman's body by nature has more fat but I am talking about players like Bartoli or Gronefeld, when serena put on fat, she was not playing much tennis. but when you are active and still putting on tyres around your belly, its a miracle.

Bartoli's body is fine to me.
Groenefeld is certainly having issues with her weight and that's why she's taking a break.
Stevenson is certainly having issues with her weight and that's why players are giving her lessons on the court.

Apoorv
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
ok

SUPER
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
MMhhh... Today Tati and Ana moved like... fat pigs:rolleyes:
It's not about being fat, but not looking as a pro athlete at all. Bartoli is kind of a shame for women tennis (thks god she's not winning). In the today's tati's match, just put a Graf or a Henin on court... not even 15% of the winners would have been winners. Cmon, they are the BEST in the world and the are clearly OVERWEIGHT when comparing with ANY pro of other sport.
But it is also true that that weight helps you a lot in putting pace in the ball, and tennis nowadays is just about smashing the ball so you can be a little fat (or put it better, be fat and not have a great movement), and still win everything (Serena, isn't it? ). A gifted body isn't needed anymore. How much I miss the 90's :)
:wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It's not about being fat, but not looking as a pro athlete at all. Bartoli is kind of a shame for women tennis (thks god she's not winning). In the today's tati's match, just put a Graf or a Henin on court... not even 15% of the winners would have been winners. Cmon, they are the BEST in the world and the are clearly OVERWEIGHT when comparing with ANY pro of other sport.
But it is also true that that weight helps you a lot in putting pace in the ball, and tennis nowadays is just about smashing the ball so you can be a little fat, and still win everithing (Serena, isn't it? ).

Not true. Look at the big name centers in women's college basketball who make it to the WNBA, a professional sport.

LoveFifteen
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Get stabbed by a psychotic fan and sit out of the game for 2 years.

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
But it is also true that that weight helps you a lot in putting pace in the ball, and tennis nowadays is just about smashing the ball so you can be a little fat (or put it better, be fat and not have a great movement), and still win everything (Serena, isn't it? ). A gifted body isn't needed anymore. How much I miss the 90's :)

When Martina's powder-puff game wasn't yet being demolished like it is now?

SUPER
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Not true. Look at the big name centers in women's college basketball who make it to the WNBA, a professional sport.

OK, I was speaking in general. In golf there are whales playing as pros, but you understand :lol:

And I accept that being a little fat is not really bad for players!

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM

You know if you would have said this with a sketch of Monica Seles from SNL (At Home With Monica), this could have been quite funny.

SUPER
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
When Martina's powder-puff game wasn't yet being demolished like it is now?

:sad: Exactly, and Conchita's game, and testud, and Arantxa, and Van Roost, and... I love powder-puff games :wavey:

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Well, the women are not "fat pigs." Have you seen either in person? If you haven't, don't speak about them in a degrading manner.

Oh, and btw, Conchita and Arantxa were not skinny either. And there was a period when Martina put on a little weight and wasn't looking that toned.

joz
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Players can get overweight during periods when they are injured... or periods where they are trying to play through injuries...

paranr
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
well Seles has had over-weight since her comback in 95 and till now. Before the stabbing she was so fit and slim, that's realy ashame, I think if she wound't have been stabbed, she wouldn't have gained the extra pounds and would have contend for the GOAT title.

Kuznetsova is overweighted since 05 and it's cleary demaged her results lately .

Bartoli, ALG- no need to elaborate.

Daventport had weight issues between 1994-1996 and that was the reason she didn't fulfill her potential at that time.

sonnys
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
well Seles has had over-weight since her comback in 95 and till now. Before the stabbing she was so fit and slim, that's realy ashame, I think if she wound't have been stabbed, she wouldn't have gained the extra pounds and would have contend the GOAT title.

But now...no more overweight:drool: !!!;)

HingisLove
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think Tati is overweigt she just got love-handles, which is somewhat strange but she maybe just can't get rid of them and it's not like she can change her diet too much cuz that would seriously damage her game. I think she got nice strong thighs that helps her pull off three setters. Don't see any reasons for us too overlook the importance of a strong psyche and see that it alone can help your chances of staying on top of your game. However, Ana would become a serious threat against all players if she had that extra second to position herself.

paranr
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
But now...no more overweight:drool: !!!;)

yes , right now she isn't. :)

Realtennis
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
There are some players on tour with womenly curves, Serena, Kuznetsova, Clijsters, Golovin, Ivanovic, Bartoli, Zvonareva, Petrova and all these players are in the top 25.
If these players are confident in their bodies, then it helps them to also be confident in their games.

I'm watching a good match against two players who wouldn't be considered the standard tennis body, they're moving well and playing smart.

These are women that everyone can relate to that can be good role models for girls.
How absurd!!!! And how about the men players?
Should they be a little fat too, so the slobs in their shit-stained underwear who are sitting on the couch with their big guts spilling over onto their nuts, can relate to them?!?!
These women are supposed to be world class athletes, and they are not going to reach their FULL POTENTIAL unless they are in the best shape possible!!! How's that for EMPOWERING OTHER WOMEN AND GIRLS?......................get in there and get your ass in NAVY SEAL SHAPE and spill the guts that you need to spill to become a CONSISTENT #1 and grand slam champion. They owe it to themselves first of course, and secondly to everyone else who would love to be in their position, but for whatever reason didn't have the opportunity or luck needed to get there!

Realtennis
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
No comparison, that's not an individual sport!

DutchieGirl
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM

That is crap, you shouldn't talk like that!

DutchieGirl
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Should they be a little fat too, so the slobs in their shit-stained underwear who are sitting on the couch with their big guts spilling over onto their nuts, can relate to them?!?!
These women are supposed to be world class athletes, and they are not going to reach their FULL POTENTIAL unless they are in the best shape possible!!! How's that for EMPOWERING OTHER WOMEN AND GIRLS?......................get in there and get your ass in NAVY SEAL SHAPE and spill the guts that you need to spill to become a CONSISTENT #1 and grand slam champion. They owe it to themselves first of course, and secondly to everyone else who would love to be in their position, but for whatever reason didn't have the opportunity or luck needed to get there!

Firstly :rolleyes:

Secondsly: They don't owe shit to anyone but themselves!

DutchieGirl
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:50 PM
No comparison, that's not an individual sport!

So? What's that got to do with how much they weigh? Now you think it's ok to be overweight if you don't play an individual sport? :haha:

Wiggly
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM

OUCH!

Realtennis
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Firstly :rolleyes:

Secondsly: They don't owe shit to anyone but themselves!
Make sure you read posts carefully before you make a comment................................I ALREADY SAID THAT!!!!!

Realtennis
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
So? What's that got to do with how much they weigh? Now you think it's ok to be overweight if you don't play an individual sport? :haha:
Smokin' the DUTCHIE, DUTCHIE GIRL?!
Or are you just illiterate?

Orion
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:43 PM
It's actually not that hard. Tennis is anaerobic. You don't do constant action that works the lungs, heart, and core muscles. It's a stop-and-start sport. There are very, very few sports that are aerobic. Distance running, swimming, and rowing are the only ones that leap to mind. Because of that, it's possible to work out for tennis without training for aerobic activity. The points are short enough that you don't need to be in marathon condition to be competitive. The great ones tend to be, but that's not a necessity to playing tennis, whereas if you want to be a professional runner, you can't be out of shape.

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM

excuse me but serena is one of the quickest on the tour wtf r u talking about? and as for the tati and ana match, neither of those girls are overweight, they have womens curves sure, they have put on a tinsy bit of wieght so they can compete with the modern power game but these two are completely bad exaples of overweight players...im guessing you didnt watch the match as the devensive play was good but VERY GOOD from tati...i'd say about a total of about three shots which tati or ana couldnt get which henin or graf could get..i dont think there is a lot of difference in speed between them..theres no doubt that there is a massive difference of speed bteween someone like ana and vee but then theres also a massave difference between henin and vee..the overweight players at the the top of the game right now i'd say are petrova, bartoli and zvonereva...
basically what im saying is i think that some of what you are saying is bs

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Men don't deal with eating issues as serious and as consistently as women do.
To pressure someone to be in an image they don't feel comfortable in only leads to problems.

No that's a Holywood image trying to perpetrate through to tennis and it's not true.
If a women is confident that they can play their best tennis being the shape that they are in, and they're able to do it then, there's nothing much you can say or do.
As Serena said after her win at the Australian Open "I could lose 20 pounds and I'm still going to have these knockers and I'm going to have this ass and that's just the way it is."

She's fine with her body image and many of the girls who play good tennis day in and day out are as well.
They don't owe anything to anyone especially you.

They're fine with their bodies and from their example they're showing girls to just be themselves in whatever they do.

Realtennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:43 AM
To pressure someone to be in an image they don't feel comfortable in only leads to problems.

No that's a Holywood image trying to perpetrate through to tennis and it's not true.
If a women is confident that they can play their best tennis being the shape that they are in, and they're able to do it then, there's nothing much you can say or do.
As Serena said after her win at the Australian Open "I could lose 20 pounds and I'm still going to have these knockers and I'm going to have this ass and that's just the way it is."

She's fine with her body image and many of the girls who play good tennis day in and day out are as well.

They're fine with their bodies and from their example they're showing girls to just be themselves in whatever they do.
What does that have to do with anything?
This isn't about "being fine with their bodies", this is professional sports not hollywood!
Every great female champion has been in top physical shape when they were #1 - Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Evonne Goolagong, Chris & Martina in the 80's, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles before the stabbing, and recently Lindsay, Hingis, the Sisters, Justine, Amelie..........they certainly weren't fat!
Did you even read what I said?
It's not about BODY IMAGE and WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE and HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT, these women are athletes, it's their JOB to be in shape. If not, they're not going to win the titles they've been working hard for and dreaming about all their lives!! BOTTOM LINE!
You're obviously another who is new to the game of tennis, and women's professional sports as well...............................I bet your not in the best shape yourself, and you're too lazy to do anything about it so you tell yourself that you're COMFORTABLE in your BODY IMAGE!
Stop listening to your therapist, and get your ass to the gym! And while your at it, put down that twinkie and go on a diet!!!!!!!!!!!!

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Make sure you read posts carefully before you make a comment................................I ALREADY SAID THAT!!!!!

Actually, it's not what you said. You said they owe it to "everyone who would love to be in their position" - so why don't YOU carefully read what you said in the first place! :rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Smokin' the DUTCHIE, DUTCHIE GIRL?!
Or are you just illiterate?

I'm Australian :weirdo: and I'm neither smoking anything, or illiterate. So why don't you answer my question? Or is it that you know you're talking crap?

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM

:worship: Amen to that!

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:02 AM
What does that have to do with anything?
This isn't about "being fine with their bodies", this is professional sports not hollywood!
Every great female champion has been in top physical shape when they were #1 - Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Evonne Goolagong, Chris & Martina in the 80's, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles before the stabbing, and recently Lindsay, Hingis, the Sisters, Justine, Amelie..........they certainly weren't fat!
Did you even read what I said?
It's not about BODY IMAGE and WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE and HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT, these women are athletes, it's their JOB to be in shape. If not, they're not going to win the titles they've been working hard for and dreaming about all their lives!! BOTTOM LINE!
You're obviously another who is new to the game of tennis, and women's professional sports as well...............................I bet your not in the best shape yourself, and you're too lazy to do anything about it so you tell yourself that you're COMFORTABLE in your BODY IMAGE!
Stop listening to your therapist, and get your ass to the gym! And while your at it, put down that twinkie and go on a diet!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who the fuck are you to judge what sort of "shape" they are in compared to their bodytype? It's not their JOB to be in shape - it's their JOB to WIN - if they can be slightly out of shape and still win, then good for them. His point was that not everyone has to look like Paris fucking Hilton to be "in shape" - so therefore it is about body image, because YOU obviously seem to think everyone does have to look like Paris Hilton to be in shape, or else this wouldn't be an issue with you, you would accept that fact that people have different bodies and not everyone will look like a stick figure when they are in shape! Amanda Coetzer was one of the god damn fittest players on the tour, and she was no Paris Hilton (figure wise). But judging from what you are saying, Coetzer wouldn't have been "in shape" coz she wasn't as skinny as other players.

You obviously don't know anyone on this board, or you wouldn't be saying people who have been posting here for ages are "obviously new to tennis". :weirdo:

Realtennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Actually, it's not what you said. You said they owe it to "everyone who would love to be in their position" - so why don't YOU carefully read what you said in the first place! :rolleyes:
No, I also said, "THEY OWE IT TO THEMSELVES FIRST OF COURSE", or didn't you UNDERSTAND that part!

Realtennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:34 AM
And who the fuck are you to judge what sort of "shape" they are in compared to their bodytype? It's not their JOB to be in shape - it's their JOB to WIN - if they can be slightly out of shape and still win, then good for them. His point was that not everyone has to look like Paris fucking Hilton to be "in shape" - so therefore it is about body image, because YOU obviously seem to think everyone does have to look like Paris Hilton to be in shape, or else this wouldn't be an issue with you, you would accept that fact that people have different bodies and not everyone will look like a stick figure when they are in shape! Amanda Coetzer was one of the god damn fittest players on the tour, and she was no Paris Hilton (figure wise). But judging from what you are saying, Coetzer wouldn't have been "in shape" coz she wasn't as skinny as other players.

You obviously don't know anyone on this board, or you wouldn't be saying people who have been posting here for ages are "obviously new to tennis". :weirdo:
I don't give a SHIT what they look like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You consider PARIS HILTON to be in athletic shape?!?!?!?! LOL!!!
That's all your generation understands, is looks and appearance.
Read my post again..................being in TIP-TOP PHYSICAL CONDITION TO REALIZE YOUR FULL POTENTIAL AS A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PHYSICAL APPEARANCE!!!
And I don't see Ivanovic and Golovin holding up any Grand Slam trophies lately...........................Golovin hasn't even won her 1st tournament yet!
You think if either one of them was in BETTER PHYSICAL CONDITION, NOT APPEARANCE (I GUESS I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU!) that they might have a better chance at being champions?
YES - NO?!
I bet you and WANNABEKNOWITALL are secretly coaching Alexandra Stevenson!!!!

WorldWar24
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM
lol you people are so funny you have no idea lol

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
No, I also said, "THEY OWE IT TO THEMSELVES FIRST OF COURSE", or didn't you UNDERSTAND that part!

YES I UNDERSTOOD THAT PART!!! You THEN went on to say that they also owe it to people who would love to be in their place - OR DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE WRITING???

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I don't give a SHIT what they look like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You consider PARIS HILTON to be in athletic shape?!?!?!?! LOL!!!
That's all your generation understands, is looks and appearance.
Read my post again..................being in TIP-TOP PHYSICAL CONDITION TO REALIZE YOUR FULL POTENTIAL AS A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PHYSICAL APPEARANCE!!!
And I don't see Ivanovic and Golovin holding up any Grand Slam trophies lately...........................Golovin hasn't even won her 1st tournament yet!
You think if either one of them was in BETTER PHYSICAL CONDITION, NOT APPEARANCE (I GUESS I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU!) that they might have a better chance at being champions?
YES - NO?!
I bet you and WANNABEKNOWITALL are secretly coaching Alexandra Stevenson!!!!

You are so fucking stupid - did you not read what I said about Amada Coetzer? "My generation" do you even know how fucking old I am you moron? And what I said is that you seem to be SAYING that people have to LOOK (I DID say BODY WISE - IE MEANING NOT FACIAL FEATURES!!! You keep telling me to learn how to read, how about taking your own advice first?) like Paris Hilton. No, I don't think she's athletically in tip top shape, but it seems to be what you are saying - that players have to be a fucking stick to be in top shape, while for some people that's NOT the case (hence my Coetzer comment before - she was no stick, but she was in damn good shape). I did not SAY that ANA or Tati were in PERFECT shape either, what I said is that you should stop criticising players you don't even know. What the hell is it to you if they are in PERFECT shape? This isn't the fucking army (where you seem to come from). You don't run their drill camp!

You are so sad, all you want to do is come on here and bash players for supposedly being "fat and overweight" Get a life for God's sake!

I can't stand Alex Stevenson, so why the hell would I be coaching her? :weirdo:

Love-seles
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Serena's legs are fat so actually she is fat.

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Yes, that's logical.

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Well I've acquired a taste for a lil meat on da bones :drool: ALLEZ MARION!!! :drool: Now when players start lookin' like brickhouses on legz ( :o ) then we have an issue (no names :angel: )

SUPER
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
...We are getting mad about that, and I think that the entire point we are defending is that in this tennis era, girls don't need to be athletical to be good players. It isn't needed anymore. In the 80-90's, points used to last longer, and it was for sure more aerobic than now, that they can close points in a single shot. So before, they needed to be athletes (Navratilova, Graf, Seles). Now, the top 100 is filled with woman-shape players that play great (Petrova, Golovin...), but still, if you want to be the best, you need to be a Mauresmo or an Henin. It's still a hard game, and if you want to be the best, a body is needed. I'm sorry Golovin can't get rid of her legs, but in every other sport (gimnastics, swimming, athletics) this woman would have never reach anything. It's hard, but is sport.
And I repeat that weight is a fantastic way of adding pace to the ball, so that shouldn't be bad. And this thread is nothing about appereance or insulting the girls of the tour, we are just talking about an anatomic issue, not trying to tell anyone pig (I was just kidding in my first thread...).

Mrs. Peel
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM

and kicking your faves ass. You are such an idiot:rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
...We are getting mad about that, and I think that the entire point we are defending is that in this tennis era, girls don't need to be athletical to be good players. It isn't needed anymore. In the 80-90's, points used to last longer, and it was for sure more aerobic than now, that they can close points in a single shot. So before, they needed to be athletes (Navratilova, Graf, Seles). Now, the top 100 is filled with woman-shape players that play great (Petrova, Golovin...), but still, if you want to be the best, you need to be a Mauresmo or an Henin. It's still a hard game, and if you want to be the best, a body is needed. I'm sorry Golovin can't get rid of her legs, but in every other sport (gimnastics, swimming, athletics) this woman would have never reach anything. It's hard, but is sport.
And I repeat that weight is a fantastic way of adding pace to the ball, so that shouldn't be bad. And this thread is nothing about appereance or insulting the girls of the tour, we are just talking about an anatomic issue, not trying to tell anyone pig (I was just kidding in my first thread...).

yeah right - good issue to pick to "kid" about. And sorry, but some people ARE trying to call players fat pigs!

piercerocks
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM
players are overweight?? wtf??

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Ana and Tati supposedly to be more specific. Oh, and Nadia too. Apparantly you have to be like Sharapova or Hantuchova to be in good shape.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread - not gonna read more bullshit from a sad old man who has nothing better to do with his time than bash young girls (he's probably upset that they aren't all sticks that he can perve at). :rolleyes: (Yes, I meant "RealTennis" ).

Love-seles
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Mrs peel you were offended by my comment on Serena?
her legs are fat that means she's fat. you don't have to be fat all over to be fat.
would you be more happy if i used the word plump?
plump or fat it means the same thing.

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Mrs peel you were offended by my comment on Serena?
her legs are fat that means she's fat. you don't have to be fat all over to be fat.
would you be more happy if i used the word plump?
plump or fat it means the same thing.

:weirdo:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I don't think that having woman curves has anything to do with being overweight. Except that maybe if you have "curves" gaining weight sometimes makes you appear more out of shape than you really are.

I thought Petrova was overweight late last year going into this year. This didn't mean that her DNA didn't still leave her strong and faster than most people. But she was definitely not as "fit" and "cut" as she should be for an athlete in my opinion. I think it left her a step slower than she had the potential to be.

I judge it by the lack of tone in her arms and legs, and the fact that fat was beginning to overshadow her muscle definition in both her arms and legs. In the last tournament, she mentioned that now that she has hired a fitness coach she's moving faster and better. She is also beginning to look more lean and cut.

Anyone can have their fat out of balance if they don't do fitness and muscle training work, especially if they go to a motel room and do nothing after practice but lie down and eat foods that are not good for you. Especially on the road. I used to do road work myself working on videos and I had to make a conscious effort to be active and not eat high carb when lounging in my room.

What makes the difference in looking lean and mean (and being a tad faster because of it) is doing the extra fitness work along with weight training and other muscle exercise and watching what kind of calories one consumes.

Chrissie Evert and Martina Navratilova were number 1 and 2 in the 70's and yet both were at one point overweight. They both went to the gym, changed their eating habits (including being very careful of what type of calories were consumed and when), started weight training along with fitness/endurance -- and viola -- beautiful physiques both. Both faster.

Chris and Mart still having amazing bodies in their 50! BETTER than in their early 20's.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM
By the way, most of the fat women tennis players play doubles. Why is that?! Some of them are way overweight in my opinion.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
A lot of people are overweight even if they don't eat, its called SLOW METABOLIC RATE.

aussie_fan
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM

that was exactly my thought. Even Serena isn't really that bad if you see her in person.

Martie
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
A lot of people are overweight even if they don't eat, its called SLOW METABOLIC RATE.

I'm sorry, but that's :bs:. The accepted consensus among scientific literature is that the metabolic rates of most overweight people are not lower, on average than those of normal-weight people.

Love-seles
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Serena's legs are the size of large concrete blocks. thats fat. oh excuse me. plump

ivanban
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
For me if you are toned and have nice muscle definition but still appear to have a little more weight, is still acceptable and not fat in any way. But, if you don't look toned and if any kind of muscle definition can't be seen on you, plus you look a bit overweight - thats just pure fat look. For example, I saw Ana Ivanovic in person on court, and I dont see any muscles on her. She looks like ordinary girl who happens to play a good tennis. But, by no mean I can call her athletic. Nor can I say that to Golovin (excluding her legs), Bartoli, Groenefeld, Zvonareva and to some degree Petrova.
Of course, that don't mean that you have to be stick and pure bones like Hantuchova, but I really can't call anyone fit and athletic if there are no signs of toned body with nice muscle definition.
For me, perfect examples of fine toned athletic bodies in women tennis are Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova, Venus.
P.S. Serena may look a bit fat to some people, but in her case it's all about pure muscles (maybe more than she really needs) and it doesn't affect her movement on court (well....in fact she's soooo quick).

canoe.
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Anyway, I'm done with this thread - not gonna read more bullshit from a sad old man who has nothing better to do with his time than bash young girls (he's probably upset that they aren't all sticks that he can perve at). :rolleyes: (Yes, I meant "RealTennis" ).
What a shrill response. You obviously weren't reading anything s/he said.

Kart
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Define 'overweight.'

Do you mean over the average weight of a person of the same height or just that you think they look big ?

*JR*
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I hear that Magui Serna has become a fitness trainer. :o

Realtennis
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
What a shrill response. You obviously weren't reading anything s/he said.
Thank you SO MUCH!
I knew somebody would eventually read what I wrote, and realize that Dutchiegirl was completely misunderstanding what I was saying!

rockwithme
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
oh man this thread has gotten ppl worked up all over the place :lol:
most ppl have made some really dialectic arguments here but..
..love-seles, you're a complete crack-up with those fat comments:haha:

tonybotz
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
You guys are a little out of touch because of your favoritism. I was watching Kuznetsova play with a friend recently and she was like "how does she have such a big gut and play tennis?" Another time before that a different friend commented on how "i guess you don't need a flat stomach to play tennis." The truth is, a lot of these girls have strong legs, strong upper bodies, but do neglect their tummies.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
For me if you are toned and have nice muscle definition but still appear to have a little more weight, is still acceptable and not fat in any way. But, if you don't look toned and if any kind of muscle definition can't be seen on you, plus you look a bit overweight - thats just pure fat look. For example, I saw Ana Ivanovic in person on court, and I dont see any muscles on her. She looks like ordinary girl who happens to play a good tennis. But, by no mean I can call her athletic. Nor can I say that to Golovin (excluding her legs), Bartoli, Groenefeld, Zvonareva and to some degree Petrova.
Of course, that don't mean that you have to be stick and pure bones like Hantuchova, but I really can't call anyone fit and athletic if there are no signs of toned body with nice muscle definition.
For me, perfect examples of fine toned athletic bodies in women tennis are Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova, Venus.
P.S. Serena may look a bit fat to some people, but in her case it's all about pure muscles (maybe more than she really needs) and it doesn't affect her movement on court (well....in fact she's soooo quick).

I saw Sania Mirza last year at Carson, and she also had zero muscles. Her legs were skinny with barely a calf muscle visable. But she had game! Jelena wasn't overly muscular, but she looked very fit and fast when I saw her.

coolconchi
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM
There are overweight footballers, boxers and tennis players - unfortunately not everyone has identical body shapes.

Most players have to put weight on to be more successful - look at Justines arms circa 2000 - and now. The game is more about power than speed now.

bunch_01
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm reading these posts with astonishment. Most of the top players are as fit as they need to be to BE top players. That doesn't mean they are unathletic! Or even fat or unfit. Look at people in other sports...the only ones who are lean and mean are the ones that have to run continously for their sport (team or otherwise). Even swimmers have a bit of fat on them...if they didn't they'd sink and get hypothermia. Fat has nothing to do with muscle fitness. Ms. Golovin actually looks like she'd make a pretty good sprinter if she'd trained for track and field. Or a really good beach volleyball player because those legs look like they've got quite a bit of power in them.

And while criticising the women one might want to check out the male side of the equation. It isn't that hard to find top male players who aren't all that fond of diet and cross training.

Rachel_
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I think you can only judge whether a player is out of shape by looking at there body when they were at there most successful and comparing it to how it is when they are at there least successful. Sometimes there is a huge difference sometimes theres none at all its individual to the player not the stereotypes.

Fantastic
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Lots of reasons for becoming an overweight tennis player: The stress of playing, the stress of air travel, water retention, constantly snacking to keep up energy levels (those rain delays are killer), continuing to eat the same amount on vacation as they do whilst in training or when playing, overeating, going heavy on the carbs (the staple food in most athlete's diets) and less on the protein (essential for feeling fuller, gaining muscle, replacing muscle and providing the body with iron), and making the wrong food choices - those cakes (anywhere between 35g to 80g of fat per serving) and fruit tarts (up to 85g of fat in some cases) will kill you.

The high intensity-training of a tennis player is not always conducive to burning fat. Low impact activities such as walking, gentle bikeriding, skipping rope and low-impact aerobics (where you only move at a pace where you can still talk without going breathless) burn fat much more easily than doing an activity that requires you to work up a frenzy until you collapse. Your body just needs to work its way up to 125 beats per minute to burn fat. Any higher and it's burning water and protein. What tennis players burn is water and protein (muscle) from their high aerobic training and playing. If not replaced, less muscle mass means less ability to burn fat in the body.

esquímaux
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM
:dellacqua: :lookin' like a house out there: :D

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM
:Dellacqua: :lookin' like a house out there: :D

:ras: Actually she isnt that big anymore!!! In Sydney she was even getting most of Ivanovic's huge forehands back!!! :ras:

brent-o
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Yeah, I agree with you that having a little extra weight on you does not translate into being an awful tennis player. But some players noticeably lose their form when they shed on the pounds (Bartoli, ALG) because it hampers their movement. I guess they are not used to having the extra weightage there.

esquímaux
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM
:ras: Actually she isnt that big anymore!!! In Sydney she was even getting most of Ivanovic's huge forehands back!!! :ras::dellacqua: :lick: :h@wt me$$:

Brett.
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Being overweight are for power-hitter, I guess! ;)

austennis
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I think that its right not all ppl are meant 2 b tall and skinny.. and its better to set healthy body image for young players than to say to starve urself and excercise excesivly is the way

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Where is Miriam Casanova?

Update?