PDA

View Full Version : Cliff did it again.

Derek.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Called Venus Serena.

I mean that's really bad as a professional commentator.

Why the hell does he keep doing it? :weirdo:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
He's also kinda incorrect about Ana playing on this surface.
She actually practiced on green clay a couple of times as preparation for the US Open last year.
So she knows this surface and seems to like it.

Cliff is no worse than some other commentators though.

Dunlop1
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
because he's old and he made a mistake. not that big of a deal

Black Mamba.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
All Black folks look alike. Cut the guy some slack.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
because he's old and he made a mistake. not that big of a deal

But he keeps doing it.

As a professional commentator, you should at least be able to get their name right. :o

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I agree, he's senile. But I think he likes Serena more than Venus. I always hear him slip in Serena's name whenever he gets the chance. Anyways, Mary Joe said that Venus was practicing on court for 2 hours with her dad. So, I hope Venus is not discouraged with her play yesterday and continues to practice.

Brooklyn90
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
He gets alot of things mixed-up recently, I think he's just getting older and is forgetting more.

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Of all the announcers, at least Clifford Drysdale makes it a point to pronounce players names correctly. Most of them butcher names and Brad Gilbert wouldn't even bother to try.

As for mixing-up Venus and Serena, that's probably due to the bottle of Crown Royal he's always swilling from. If I learned nothing else in Miami, it's that Cliff Drysdale is a loose cannon. He did an autograph signing one evening and went berserk on a woman because she was wearing a John Newcomb t-shirt. He ripped the shirt off her and dumped what was left in his Crown Royal bottle over her head. Fuck. Needless to say, that was the end of the autograph signing.

I won't even go into the shit he pulled later in the parking lot.

geoepee
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Of all the announcers, at least Clifford Drysdale makes it a point to pronounce players names correctly. Most of them butcher names and Brad Gilbert wouldn't even bother to try.

As for mixing-up Venus and Serena, that's probably due to the bottle of Crown Royal he's always swilling from. If I learned nothing else in Miami, it's that Cliff Drysdale is a loose cannon. He did an autograph signing one evening and went berserk on a woman because she was wearing a John Newcomb t-shirt. He ripped the shirt off her and dumped what was left in his Crown Royal bottle over her head. Fuck. Needless to say, that was the end of the autograph signing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolls:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Called Venus Serena.

Cliff Rocks! :rocker:

soomaal
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I agree, he's senile. But I think he likes Serena more than Venus. I always hear him slip in Serena's name whenever he gets the chance. Anyways, Mary Joe said that Venus was practicing on court for 2 hours with her dad. So, I hope Venus is not discouraged with her play yesterday and continues to practice.

Very encouraging news, thanks for sharing with us!!

I'm loving the excuses for this guy whose paid job it is to know these players.:help:

sweetpeas
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Yep!Thanks so much?

trufanjay
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Cut him some slack, he's old :lol:

faste5683
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM

:lol:

God, you gotta love that man!

:wavey:

auntie janie
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Called Venus Serena.

Big deal. When I was little my mom was always calling us kids by one another's names. In fact she still does that now. :D Everyone does it.

Vlover
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM

I get the sense that all this came about just as you finished your bottle of Crown Royal.:lol:

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I get the sense that all this came about just as you finished your bottle of Crown Royal.:lol:
Let's just say I wasn't taking any chances. If there's one thing I've learned over the years from watching Cliff Drysdale cut a wide path through life and debauch the human experience along the way, it's that when the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Last year, during the U.S. Open, I saw Cliff unceremoniously dump an incapacited Russell Crowe onto the sidewalk in front of the Algonquin Hotel at five in the morning. As Cliff was emptying his bladder into a nearby mailbox, he barked at Crowe, "Sonny, If you want to run with the big dogs you'd better wear a loose collar."

Clifford has no time for lightweights and he takes no prisioners.

harloo
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I like Cliff but when he starts salivating over Maria I have to turn the volume down. It's quite easy to confuse Venus with Serena at times especially if you're like 90.:)

aisha
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Let's just say I wasn't taking any chances. If there's one thing I've learned over the years from watching Cliff Drysdale cut a wide path through life and debauch the human experience along the way, it's that when the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Last year, during the U.S. Open, I saw Cliff unceremoniously dump an incapacited Russell Crowe onto the sidewalk in front of the Algonquin Hotel at five in the morning. As Cliff was emptying his bladder into a nearby mailbox, he barked at Crowe, "Sonny, If you want to run with the big dogs you'd better wear a loose collar."

Tell me more of these Clifftales. :inlove:

Vlover
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Such a pity because I was hoping he would dispose of Carillo but I guess Crown Royal can only go so far.:devil:

Wtrain
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I like cliffy, He's just old, thats all.

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Such a pity because I was hoping he would dispose of Carillo but I guess Crown Royal can only go so far.:devil:
I wish to GOD Cliff would dispose of that insufferable harpy. Unfortunately, Mary Carillo is the only thing on earth Cliff is afraid of, drunk or sober. Cliff once said, "That nagging, wretched monster is the spawn of the devil." Cliff firmly believes the only thing that can kill Carillo is a wooden stake through the heart. Oh, every once in a while during a broadcast, you'll hear Cliff tell Carillo to go pack sand in her ass or something of that nature, but that's about as far as he pushes his luck with "Medusa", as he calls her.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM

I bought everything up to him wasting his Crown Royal over a Newcomb fan! :devil:

kyk710
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I loved it today when Cliff was going on about how Tatiana and Ana were some of the great movers on the tour :tape:

Sometimes I wonder if Mary Joe is just sitting there trying not to laugh at some of the things he says.

kyk710
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I do love Cliff though.

Bruno71
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
He asked whether Ivanovic or Djokovic would be the first Serb to win a grand slam event, even though as of yesterday he seemed to think Ivanovic & Jankovic are the same person...or at least got their names confused.

partbrit
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Of all the announcers, at least Clifford Drysdale makes it a point to pronounce players names correctly.

As far as I can tell, Drysdale mispronounces just about as many names as the others--maybe a few less.

And he is not senile. Senility is a disease; he does not have it.

nflatte
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:01 AM
He's incompetent because he's repetitive and states the obvious all the time. Also he's really biased towards power-hitting players per se. There's nothing wrong with that but you just can't be one-sided all the time as a commentator. He also needs re-affirmation from Mary Jo all the time.

darrinbaker00
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Cliffy's the real father of Pam Shriver's kids, you know..... ;)

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I won't even go into the shit he pulled later in the parking lot.OMG :eek::tape::eek::tape:

esquímaux
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM
:clifftales:

meyerpl
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Hunter S. Thompson once spent a night in New York, cavorting with Cliff Drysdale just prior to the U.S. Open. Thompson later wrote:

"The fear and loathing I experienced in the presence of that barbarian eclipsed anything I had previously encountered. I carried a copy of the ten commandments with me like a score-card, checking them off as I watched Drysdale repeatedly break them. Although Drysdale slipped a powerful hallucinogenic into my drink early into the debauchery, it wasn't necessary for the purpose of unleashing the paranoia and anxiety I soon suffered; Drysdale's atrocities against humanity throughout the endless night were frightening enough on their own. He's a monstor; a one man tempest wreaking panic and destruction in his wake. Fear of reprisal prevents me from relating the details of the horrors I witnessed. Suffice it to say that cannibalism was the theme of his more charming moments, when I actually began to feal a sense of humanity emanating from his malignant soul. Prior to meeting Drysdale, I thought I was aquainted with fear and loathing. I was wrong. I was very wrong."

cosmoose
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
These "clifftales" are jokes right? :confused:
He seems like a very laid back and well mannered gent.

hacberto
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
He always say that and I truly don't care.
The only person how needs to be angry about this situations are Venus and Serena and I know their not because they love each other and I truly think it doesn't bother them.

It's a previlige to some of the girls if Cliff calls them Venus or Serena :lol:

But I love him as a commentator
In my opinion he does a great job
I like his voice, it's good really good.

:D

nflatte
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
No, his voice is so annoying, and he sounds kind of stubborn.

meyerpl
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM
These "clifftales" are jokes right? :confused:
He seems like a very laid back and well mannered gent.
There are things you just don't joke about, like Cliff Drysdale reopening the gates to Sodom and Gomorrah.