PDA

View Full Version : Are we seeing a sister role reversal?

Shaboinka84
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Remember when Venus was dominating, Serena where the error-prone one. She was unable to close out matches, let leads slip away, not fulfill others expectations. Now Serena is the one playing well and Venus is the one struggling. If things begin to click, then they both will be back soon. Im sure I'll get alot of comments for this thread lol

RJWCapriati
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I think Venus will be fine once we get into June

50Sense
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
No, because Serena has been playing better than Venus for almost five years now. It's not some sudden thing.

And it isn't a matter of "clicking" for Venus. She has some serious work to do.

tennisjunky
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
over simplified way of seeing things. dont think one sister has anything to do with the other. you might as well take venus and compare her myskina, or clijster, or any other random player. if you want to make comparisons you can use any two players and find just as many similarties and patterns with their tennis.

serena is serena and venus is venus. got to keep saying this until it sinks in.

supergrunt
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well, I think today was just one loss and I hope that this will not effect Venus for the rest of the clay court season. Venus played bad and Tatiana played some amazing points. It was just one of thoose days. There are still some more tournaments for Venus to play before Roland Garros and I still believe she can do excellent things in tennis :) !

Shaboinka84
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Im not comparing them at all Tennisjunky. I feel that Serena's game has matured and Venus needs that big win to get back to where she was just like Serena did back in 2001-2002.

DunkMachine
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Venus has been fucking up ever since her ab injury. She just isn't serving as well as she used to.

Craigy
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:07 AM
If things begin to click, then they both will be back soon.

Serena is already back. ;)

Dawn Marie
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Serena's been playing better than Venus for a long time now. Face it Serena is the better player. I will still pick Venus over Serena on grass because Vee's net game is superior but Serena has the more error free game.

Venus makes to many errors and her footwork is not like Serena's. Vee is fast but I think Serena has better raquet control and footwork. Also Serena's mechanics are better than Vee's. Serena's serve is fluid. She has some superior angle shots that just open up the court.

Venus still has slams in her, in fact I still pick her on grass and hardcourt but she will not be as consistant day in and day out as Serena Williams.

Lulu.
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:10 AM
No, because Serena has been playing better than Venus for almost five years now. It's not some sudden thing.

Well said.

tennnisfannn
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:15 AM
They are both different people and we need to treat them as just that. It is like wondering why Alicia has struggled to enter the top 20 again when Hingis did it in one season.
Venus will be back. The talent is still there.

pooh14
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM
i think serena is a much better player then venus.
even richard told that many years ago, when both were just starting out their career

Experimentee
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Serena was always a better player than Venus. Not that Venus losing to Golovin is that bad a loss, Tati is a top 20 player and is in great form. She has beaten Venus on clay before.

Marcus Jordan
Apr 7th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Serena is simply better than Venus, much better techniqually and more power and accuracy. Its always been that way apart from when Serena first hit the tour and lacked experience.

Morrissey
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Serena is better lets be honest here. Venus just doesn't have the DESIRE or the HUNGER to change her game. Expect these crappy results to continue.

stevos
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM

:haha:

Wimbledon 05, much?

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Venus is technically challenged. Period. None of her shots are automatic and all can break-down at any time. Not to mention, her two big weapons from when she was at her best are FAR from what they were.

Let me break it down stroke for stroke:

Serve: since ab injury, she changed her motion. The placement and speed of her serve are not where they used to be. She tries to just hit it hard now. No placement. Those serves are going to come back against the better players. The more pace you gave an advanced player on the serve and not get it out of their strike-zone, the easier it is to return. Venus doesn't hit the serve up-the-middle on the deuce or the serve out-wide on the ad well anymore. She can't flatten the serve out anymore. In Memphis she was, and I saw it as hope. That serve is not existant when Venus plays a top player. The second serve may be better, but it still is weak. The first serve gets Venus no free points anymore and therefore requires Venus to rally because of a lack a placement and predictability. Two free points a game makes a HUGE difference.

Forehand: The forehand is a cleaner shot now with less extraneous movement of the body, but it has a hitch in the take-back and she gets little spin on it. When its on (rarely), it is great. When it is just okay, it is a weakness and when its off, Venus should yell out "Four" everytime she strikes it. As I will speak on with the backhand, she hits the forehand TOO open-stane. Richard doesn't know what he is talking about with Venus hitting all her shots open-stance. There is less control and slower balls are harder to put away. Not saying that Venus ever closed her stance on the forehand, but it wouldn't hurt her to move her right foot behind her left more when striking the forehand. She also doesn't get under the ball and create spin anymore on the forehand. Watching her in the past, she used to hit her forehand with more spin. Now its really flat and doesn't penetrate the court as consistently in rallies as it used to. That might be something to consider.

Backhand: This shot is not near what it used to be. She hits it so EXCLUSIVELY open-stance. Has she not noticed that she doesn't hit that many winners when she hits open-stance? Has she not noticed the fact that she hits fewer backhand winners than when she was at her peak. This is where Richard effed up. He should've kept the backhand the same when he was retooling her shots after the ab-injury. At her peak, Venus closed her stance on the backhand and hit so many clean, hard backhand winners. Her open-stance was for defense, rally shots, and passing shots. She can't dictate with that side if she doesn't close the stance on the aggresive shots. Not only did it add more pace, it added more control, more rhythm, and more spin. It was such an automatic shot and so smooth. Now it is just labored, jerky, and irratic.

Volleys: Only shot that has gotten better. She has better feel and more stick on her basic volleys now. The swing volleys are still there. Nothing to complain about here.

So all in all, Venus is lacking the free points from the first serve, lacking the control, fluidity, and winners on her backhand, and still has a bad forehand, just that it looks different now and she rarely missed into the fence anymore on that side. Even if Venus gets more comfortable, she isn't the same player technically. All her shots have always had flaws, but now she doesn't have any reliable weapons anymore. She will continue to be frustrated and have matches where she can't find any way out of the hole she puts her self in. She has no versatitly or plan "B" anymore. Venus needs to watch old tapes of herself to understand what she is doing wrong.

Williams Rulez
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I dun remember Serena losing quite as often to players out of the 10 even back in those days.. Venus is just so erratic now..

bandabou
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hmm...clay's always a struggle for the sisters, so let's hope it's just the clay. Still worrying to me that Venus couldn't beat even the current Maria at Miami.

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM
U know what..we'll see we can't all asses venus now..she did well to win her first tournie back (something that serena didnt do this time round) there are still flashes of the old venus...at the austrailian open, i feel serena had a good draw and she played herself into each match...at miami she played two matches and had sharapova...theres no point of comparing vee with serena as it will take them different amounts of time to get back to full mental fitness...we all saw venus yesterday and although she was hitting many errors..she looked awkward on the green clay..she finds it hard to turn and was caught out a lot..although its still one of her least favourite surfaces...she doesnt struggle as much on red clay next week is charleston she will get some more practise on the green stuff and then play there...shes not fully back mentally and its only a matter of time until she is..no williams should EVER be written off....
wow! why are my posts so long? lol

Beny
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
It`s been so for last couple of years..not just recently

MLF
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Venus has always been the slower of the two sisters to click into full form after a break from the game. All she needs is a few months of matches where she can play uninterrupted and she'll soon be back up there. She is 10-2 for this season already so that's not too bad of a start - she just had a messy match with Golovin.

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Venus has always been the slower of the two sisters to click into full form after a break from the game. All she needs is a few months of matches where she can play uninterrupted and she'll soon be back up there. She is 10-2 for this season already so that's not too bad of a start - she just had a messy match with Golovin.

thank you!!

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM

I've BEEN saying that...they don't wanna listen to reason :shrug:

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I've BEEN saying that...they don't wanna listen to reason :shrug:

:worship: :worship: too true :worship: :worship:

jamatthews
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
:haha:

Wimbledon 05, much?

Last 5 Years

1 slam vs 7 slams? Yeah Wimbledon 05 makes all the difference.

K-Dog
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Wow, I'm glad my post of Vee's strokes made any sense to anyone reading it.

serenafan08
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Wow, I'm glad my post of Vee's strokes made any sense to anyone reading it.

It made great sense to me. I think the open-stance backhand is her downfall right now. She's got one of the best two-handers in the game when she hits it well. Yesterday against Golovin it was just all over the place.

I've always felt that Venus's game was a little sloppier than Serena's. It just seems like she makes more errors because her technique isn't good. Serena sprays the ball because she goes for too many winners, but Venus's technique causes her to spray balls. I also think that if Venus gets the hunger and desire back, she can make a run to the top. She seems almost too serene out there; she's too laid-back. If she just sinks her teeth into her matches she'll shoot up the rankings.

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
A "role reversal"? I don't know about that. I guess if Venus gains, say, fifty pounds between now and the end of the year then, yeah, I guess it's a role reversal.

As for Serena right now, I watched her on the practice court for a while in Miami and, she's never looked better. She was unbelievable in every way.

Meanwhile, Richard skulked around behind the baseline puffing on a cigar, muttering something about a bottle and a woman. I heard he and Cliff Drysdale got pissed-up together in Coconut Grove that night and beat the crap out of some roller bladers.

spencercarlos
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
They are both different people and we need to treat them as just that. It is like wondering why Alicia has struggled to enter the top 20 again when Hingis did it in one season.
Venus will be back. The talent is still there.
Hingis entered to the top 20 again by the early May of last year, did not even took her 5 months to get it done.

And this is a very old topic afterall has not Serena being better than Venus since 2002? please guys that´s a little more than 5 years up to today.

Still having seeing Venus play live i think if playing well she could easily be a top 4 player today.

trufanjay
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I think some people are looking too much into it. Venus needs lots and lots of matches before she can start playing consistently well. I think the main reason Serena comes back so well and fast is because of her serve. It's just the best ever. Her serve is on 95% of the time and she can always count on it. Once she feels she can hold well and stay healthy then everything else falls into place. Venus needs matches and she may want to technically improve on some things. But I think the desire is still there, otherwise she wouldn't be putting so much time into her tennis right now.

It should all fall into place. If she has terrible matches after weeks and weeks of tennis then something is wrong. But let's give her a little time. She did win Memphis.

sweetpeas
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
:cool: serena is serena and venus is venus. got to keep saying this until it sinks in.

So true~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!