PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova Withdraws From Charleston

Marcell
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Kuznetsova Withdraws From Charleston

Tennis Week
04/06/2007

Svetlana Kuznetsova is the latest former Grand Slam champion to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup field. The 2004 U.S. Open champion pulled out of next week's Tier I Charleston clay-court event citing a right wrist injury.

Kuznetsova joins top-ranked Justine Henin and former World No. 1 players Amélie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova in withdrawing from Charleston.

"I am really disappointed to have to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup because of an injury to my right wrist," said Kuznetsova in a statement. "I was very much looking forward to playing this great event, and hope to be back next year. I am focused on recovering as quickly as possible so I can get back competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour."

The tournament still boasts 11 of the top 20 players, including reigning Australian Open and Miami champion Serena Williams. Martina Hingis and Venus Williams are also entered in the $1.34 million event.

jimbo mack
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
:eek: :sad:

poor charleston :o

LDF
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Pfft, no top 5 players now :o

I hope Sveta's wrist heals quickly :)

Ferosh
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I expected her to withdraw from this tournament after I read her Indian Wells press conference interview.

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Ouch at Charleston's field.

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
"I am really disappointed to have to withdraw from the Family Circle Cup because of an injury to my right wrist," said Kuznetsova in a statement. "I was very much looking forward to playing this great event, and hope to be back next year. I am focused on recovering as quickly as possible so I can get back competing on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour."
Gotta love these heartfelt withdrawal notes from the players. :lol:

timafi
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
oh man :sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Ree, Vee, 'Tina, and Shahar

I think the field is still strong :shrug:

I do think, however, it got THAT much easier for Ree to win another title :yeah:

RG Moonballer
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
This title will definetly go to a youngster now.

And no, not to Serena (Although that would have been classy).

Derek.
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Win it, Nicole. :)

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Well Kuzy has really overplayed herself. I hope she recovers in time for the red clay.

lizchris
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I hope Venus isn't next.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Thats sad to hear...but...maybe they can replace her with Monica ;)

Poova
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry, but no way should Hingis be the top seed in a Tier I. :o That's just really bad. :tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
True :shrug: but Serena's in the top 4 to make it all better ;)

In The Zone
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Ouch. We had a great field, too! Now it's Serena, Venus, Martina. I have a feeling Petrova will be taking a WC .. It's just me. Now she can defend it more easily. We'll see!

Ferosh
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Ouch. We had a great field, too! Now it's Serena, Venus, Martina. I have a feeling Petrova will be taking a WC .. It's just me. Now she can defend it more easily. We'll see!

I have the same feeling, but I hope she does not enter the tournament. She would be playing with fire once again if she plays four consecutive tournaments without any rest.

The Dawntreader
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I hope that wrist injury isnt serious, they can be such hellish injuries:sad:

Come back well and rested Kuzy:D

gelrad
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have the same feeling, but I hope she does not enter the tournament. She would be playing with fire once again if she plays four consecutive tournaments without any rest.

I think this will depends on today match, losing today will mean rank 12 after Charleston at best. And also a day more rest...

paranr
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I think this will depends on today match, losing today will mean rank 12 after Charleston at best. And also a day more rest...

I hope she doesn't fall to Safina. I like Henin , but I am tired of seeing her winning RG again and again. Petrova has the game to stop her and she needs to win AI to build a confedence into RG.

A'DAM
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Martina top seed at Tier I :lol:

nathie
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:59 PM
so the seeded are :

1-Martina Hingis
2-Nicole Vaidisova
3-Jelena Jankovic
4-Serena Williams

5-Dinara Safina
6-Shahar Peer
7-Patty Schnyder
8-Ana Ivanovic

9-Na Li
10-Vera Zvonareva
11-Tatiana Golovin
12-Francesca Schiavone

13-Katarina Srebotnik
14-Marion Bartoli
15-Samantha Stosur
16-Sybille Bammer

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Vee only 3 more w/ds from a seeding :dance::p :lol:

sapir1434
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Sveta :hug: hope everything will be ok with her

kadirelf
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM
go venus go serenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SF SERENA DEF VAİDİSOVA
SF VENUS DEF HİNGİS

COME ON GİRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PLP
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry, but no way should Hingis be the top seed in a Tier I. :o That's just really bad. :tape:

Why?

Do you know how the rankings work? It's very simple, she is #6, there are no top 5 players in the field now, so...

Is Martina the favorite to win this title? Probably not, but she has only lost 1 match in 3 years that she has played there, so get the f-k over it. :rolleyes:

winone23
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
:sad: Kuzzy

tae04
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:31 PM
this will be interesting, hope venus doesnt draw up serena again lol

laurie
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Disappointing news. I hope the injury is not serious. Get well soon Sveta.

Orion
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Good opportunity for Serena, Shahar, and Hingis in particular.

Droolv
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Sammy's a seed :yeah:. Get better soon Kuzzy.

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I cant believe people dont think Hingis is worthy to be the #1 seed at a Tier 1. She's won 2 in the past year, and is #6 in the world. She's had a bad few months, but she's not terrible. :rolleyes: That being said, I think she should do very well here.

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hingis and the Williams' still in so its okay

Slampova
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Win it Nicole :)!

hablo
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
She may not have much choice.
Remember how Momo had to bail out Dubai
after Serena and Sharpie withdrew?

Ferosh
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
She may not have much choice.
Remember how Momo had to bail out Dubai
after Serena and Sharpie withdrew?

I know...:scared:

rfs1999
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, we want monica!

Mightymirza
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
smart decision kuzzy..

Dawn Marie
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Martina is no slouch on clay she is a realistic seed. Even #1. I would rather see her as the top clay court seed than Maria S.

oooo86
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM
woow how many widthrowls latley....

Lindsayfanumber1
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:55 AM
:tape:

mm1147
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:57 AM
yeah go win the tournament martina :)

mm1147
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Martina top seed at Tier I :lol:

what is so funny about that?

lecciones
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM

You guys make me wonder if you ever look up or research on these players whom you have such low regard for. Have you ever researched on the seeding of Martina throughout her career especially at Tier Is or do I have to dig it up for you?

I am absolutely sure that throughout Martina's WHOLE career she was seeded no.1 or no.2 90% of the time.

mm1147
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:07 AM
its like its a slap in a face for wta for hingis to be the top seed in a tier 1 tourna ment. Its just sad

Lucyxx
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:08 AM
:sad:

Scotso
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:12 AM
They better be praying no one else pulls out.

gary
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Tier I without any top5 players :o :o

Hashim.
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM
poor charleston

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:05 AM
You guys make me wonder if you ever look up or research on these players whom you have such low regard for. Have you ever researched on the seeding of Martina throughout her career especially at Tier Is or do I have to dig it up for you?

I am absolutely sure that throughout Martina's WHOLE career she was seeded no.1 or no.2 90% of the time.

maybe but nowadays it just dont happen-hingis wont win considering her poor current form and the fact serena is in the draw :p

btw-i have a lot of respect for hingis' career, i just dont think shes one of the best anymore :shrug:

lecciones
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM
maybe but nowadays it just dont happen-hingis wont win considering her poor current form and the fact serena is in the draw :p

btw-i have a lot of respect for hingis' career, i just dont think shes one of the best anymore :shrug:

I think you got me wrong. We are talking about being no.1 seed and not about winning this tournament. It is a huge difference between being no.1 seed and winning the tournament.

People are surprised and some even say she doesn't deserve it and I am sick of these comments, Martina is a consistent player who is a former champion and her record speaks for itself. Did I even say any thing about winning? No I was defending her seed in this tournament which she deserves now due to all those withdrawals. There is nothing surprising with this seeds in light of the wthdrawals.

As a side comment from other posts recently (does not include the post I'm replying to but I'll state this here because it's convenient) in different threads these past days: I am so sick of all this lambasting of Hingis. Especially from fan bases who always and always resort to personal attacks some way in between discussions. So what If somebody can't accept, understand, agree, etc to what your saying? You don't have to be so disparaging or belittling. Some people can be dense and won't mind those insults but others do. And I do not care if I get a negative rep for saying out loud that many of fans from a particular fan base just love saying statements that are so tactless and yes I repeat: tactless. It might be fun, or add color and excitement to the forums but they are overboard already. And if you think that lumping together a fan base and assigning them a certain characteristic is unfair, then browse through all the threads about Hingis and see that when I say general, I mean it to be general , i.e. more than one person does this. Hingis fans (except one or two) rarely, rarely say such disparaging things about other players.

P.S. btw KuzyisNo1 I do agree that Martina does have to bing her game way up if she wants to defeat Serena if ever they do meet.

gmak
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:14 AM
sveta :sad: :hug:

zohra
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM
poor charleston.I think Serena's going to win this one.
get well soon sveta.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
hmmmm maybe everyone pulled out now that JH....the most probable person to beat Serena pulled out?? hope Kuzzie gets better though...wrist injuries hurt like hell...let's go0o0o0o Serena :Dtitle #3