PDA

View Full Version : You guys should know that Venus lost on purpose

Foxy
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM

The only reason Venus showed up was because she was paid a lot of money for her appearance.

I don't think Venus entered this tournament to play the entire week. She's using these smaller tournaments to build up her game and it's a smart strategy.

Venus had wrist surgery and it's gonna take awhile for her to fully recover from that. Just like it did Serena. Remember she would play, then lose. Well they can't stress the body by playing the entire week. They play a few games then lose so they won't tax the body too much and get reinjured.

It would have been foolish for Venus to play the full week. Now if she wasn't recovering from wrist surgery it would have been fine.

There is a tier I tournament that begins on Monday. That means she would have had to play throughout Sunday, then try to catch a plane for next weeks game. Remember she would be playing Monday because her ranking is still low and she's not getting passes.

It's smart for Venus to go out today and catch a plane for the next weeks tournament which probably begins Monday for her. And that tournament will last two weeks itself.

She can go back and work on some techniques in her game these next few days. She'd be too tired to go the entire two weeks.

Plus Venus has won this tournament 3 or 4 times already. It's not the trophy and money she needs, it's the preparation she needs.

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
:o

griffin
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I thought it was because the dog ate her homework?

LDF
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Right. :o

trufanjay
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
This is ridiculous

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
:unsure: I'm sure she didn't go there saying, "I wanna lose in two sets to a player who doesn't even have a tour title under her belt." :unsure:

It's not like the was a GS that next week or anything :shrug: ;)

It was a bad loss, but there are positives that we (as her fans) can take from here. Onwards and upwards....besides, she's Top 30 now! :yeah:

Craigy
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Poova
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, and Maria lost to Serena on purpose at Australia and Miami. :secret:

Natash.
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
:lol:

Loving the excuses. :)

Ferosh
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I don't think the excuses can get much more retarded than this.

Craigy
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Well you never know what to expect sometimes :help:

booshbish
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
venus has too much pride to lose on purpose! wouldn't it be more beneficial to her confidence to win the tournament?

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
This statement is both disrespectful to Venus ( she would never tank ) and to Tati who played a smart match to win.

timafi
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
with all due respect to you and your theories but Venus has enough money to prolly buy AI from the current owners :mad: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
she wanted match play and went there and got used to the green thing
Venus is not the type of player to tank a match after pocketing the do and then to walk away
she's not my fav player by a mile but tank a match,I doubt it
Tati played served well;played great defense and Venus didn't play well enough to even make the match competitive,nothing else :shrug:

Lulu.
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
:spit:

Geertvg
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bridgepea
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
You know what I would prefer if as Venus fans we said you know what our player got her a** handed to her today by a player who played her heart out, and especially on the big points. Tatiana won fair and square and as fans of Venus we give people who disparage her and her talents fodder for their mill when we downplay her opponents' wins over her. She got played today, fair and square. She was spraying balls all over the place and for some reason could not find her game, oh yeah, that could be because the other player was just playing lights out tennis. Come on V Fans we are better than that - gracious in defeat and humble in victory.

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, talk about rationalizing :eek: No excuses, Venus wanted to win that match which was clearly shown when she fought back from 0-4 down to 3-4.
Her game just didn´t click today and Golovins game did.
That´s all there is to it.

new-york
please.

Venus wanted to play more, she wanted to win.
Her opponent was better.

bleh.

eck
Ok.

1jackson2001
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I am one of Venus' biggest fans but this "theory" makes me :haha:
Roll me some of dat :smoke:

Craigy
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
This statement is both disrespectful to Venus ( she would never tank ) and to Tati who played a smart match to win.

Exactly. A lot of Venus fans are being extremely disrespectful to Tati. Making her out to be an awful player, a nobody etc.

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
AND the sun was in her eyes, AND Golovin held her hand up while Venus was serving, AND the chair umpire called out the wrong score, AND.....

sundoulos
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
The logic sounds good to me. A game plan to something bigger and greater. Yeah. :devil:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
AND the sun was in her eyes, AND Golovin held her hand up while Venus was serving, AND the chair umpire called out the wrong score, AND.....
Golovin's friend was flashing his watch in Venus' eye when she was serving, AND Tati's dress was camouflaged to the court, and Vee couldn't concentrate, AND the service box was 15 feet off, AND someone strung Vee's racquets with spaghetti :mad:

Conor
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
This has to go down as thee most ridiculous thread ever....

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
This has to go down as thee most ridiculous thread ever....

Oh please... this is peanuts compared to some of the other threads that have been made.

Conor
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Oh please... this is peanuts compared to some of the other threads that have been made.

Well in my short stay so far, this is the worst thread ive seen when somebody is actually trying to be serious...

bridgepea
somebody please delete this thread as it is both disrepectful to the legacy of Venus, but to Tatiana as well. And before all the haters come out I am a fan of both Venus and Serena but first and foremost I am a fan of tennis, especially women's tennis

OZTENNIS

The only reason Venus showed up was because she was paid a lot of money for her appearance.

I don't think Venus entered this tournament to play the entire week. She's using these smaller tournaments to build up her game and it's a smart strategy.

Venus had wrist surgery and it's gonna take awhile for her to fully recover from that. Just like it did Serena. Remember she would play, then lose. Well they can't stress the body by playing the entire week. They play a few games then lose so they won't tax the body too much and get reinjured.

It would have been foolish for Venus to play the full week. Now if she wasn't recovering from wrist surgery it would have been fine.

There is a tier I tournament that begins on Monday. That means she would have had to play throughout Sunday, then try to catch a plane for next weeks game. Remember she would be playing Monday because her ranking is still low and she's not getting passes.

It's smart for Venus to go out today and catch a plane for the next weeks tournament which probably begins Monday for her. And that tournament will last two weeks itself.

She can go back and work on some techniques in her game these next few days. She'd be too tired to go the entire two weeks.

Plus Venus has won this tournament 3 or 4 times already. It's not the trophy and money she needs, it's the preparation she needs.

gee, u are a dickhead.

1) Venus has enough money to buy Amelia Island
2) Venus does not tank
3) Venus has often said she 'hates losing'
4) Venus is coming back from injury
5) Tatiana is playing some great tennis
6) YOU ARE A DICKHEAD!!
7) YOU NEED :help:

Nicolás89
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
maybe she was afraid to face sybille in an eventual final so she decided to lose in the televised quarter to recieve her appearance fee:shrug:

Orion
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
So you're accusing Venus of bad sportsmanship, Foxy? That's strange. I've never heard anyone who actually likes the Williams sisters even come close to suggesting that they are poor sports.

sweetpeas
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
:devil: :o :mad: :sad: :lol:

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Golovin's friend was flashing his watch in Venus' eye when she was serving, AND Tati's dress was camouflaged to the court, and Vee couldn't concentrate, AND the service box was 15 feet off, AND someone strung Vee's racquets with spaghetti :mad:
Of course, we could always go the Marat Safin route and say that Venus tanked the match because she had a booty call waiting for her at the hotel. ;)

Foxy
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I know it sounds far fetched, but a few years ago Johnny Mac stated the same thing how players will do that to try to build up their games when coming back from injury.

Orion
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Right. John McEnroe. One of the worst sports in history. Venus played fine at Memphis, isn't that an indication that she's pretty much in the clear, wrist wise? Clay's easier on the body than hardcourts, too...so it doesn't just sound far-fetched, it sounds wrong. Venus wouldn't make an excuse for her losses, so why would you?

Simplicity.
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Isnt it obviously that the players NEVER lose to anyone because the other player is better or played better. Whenever a player losses, it WAS on purpose. Come on guys, don't you all know that already :rolleyes:

Sefo
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM

:dog: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

tennisjunky
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
wow! lame excuse. guess you can't handle the truth, must hurt too bad.

Хлоэ
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
:o :lol: :help:

Aravanecaravan
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM

This is even better than the usual Williams "if my game was a 2, I would have beaten her" excuse.

sundoulos
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Everybody needs to have a sense of humor. Otherwise the comments will drive you silly. :silly: Have some fun with it. I do. :D

booshbish
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

exactly...both players were there to win.

Slampova
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Jeez, give Tatiana the respect she deserves... She was the better player today - Hence the reason she won!

Ben.
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:32 AM
oh god :rolleyes:

i really do not see any reason why Venus would lose on purpose. it would be quite stupid to think like that actually.

The Daviator
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM
:o Venus is a competitor, and she has a great ethic when it comes to tennis, both her and Serena, just accept the fact that she was beaten...

Brashkoala
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:45 AM

ur so pathetic, it's sad

kittyking
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM

No fair I was gonna say that :p

sky20748
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
the thing of it is this.tati didnt have to do anything but show up and venus handed her the match with all the errors that didnt have to be.she needs to tighten up her game and net play.she needs to be patient and realize that you dont have to go for the outright winner.do what i always say take that player out wide then be in position to strike.carelessness lost her the match today.not a beatdown on tati's end.no offense but how the hell a player with no tour title beat a woman with 5 grandslams,olympic gold,multiple tour championship titles and doubles.ponder that.ugh duh venus and her silly errors.she didnt go to plan b and u could see the confidence go down.when it was time at 4-3 and to lose ur serve.she tanked.not purposely but she did not go to plan b just becuase ur 40 love down hell nadal comes back from 40 love you have to play every point.she gave to many short balls and attacked at the wrong moments.but hell she out there playing.i hope she gets things together cuz the big girls are going to exploit here big time and i personally hope she gets a slam this year and then the naysayers will shut up.but she got to pull away from serena and her father as a coach and get a fresher mouthpeice.no offense.but its time for a change.hell go to nick b's.hell serena did and came back with vigor.venus please man we love you and ur good for the sport.you have talent.but u got to go out there and make it easier on yourself.all that rallying and baselining.its getting old.call zina call someone please to help strengthen ur game.its hurting you and your confidence.and its hurting us as fans.but i will always be a fan no matter what.its just that i know what your capable of.i want u to win girl.win,win win and win somemore.if i can fight and battle cancer and not give in then i know you can get on that court and fight them girls with less then what you have accomplished.

égalité
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:50 AM
:spit:

ESPN next's great tennis analyst!

Fidello
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Venus, is that you?!

Jubilee
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Utter Nonsense.

jubilee

BARBIE
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

BARBIE
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

tennisjt
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, everyone loves to lose

mm1147
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM
this thread is just pathetic :o

Chrissie-fan
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I know it sounds far fetched, but a few years ago Johnny Mac stated the same thing how players will do that to try to build up their games when coming back from injury.
I find it hard to believe that Venus would lose a match on purpose in a tournament where she was on paper one of the favourites to win. Mac may be right that it may have happened in the past (I don't know, but it's not impossible), but if so it probably happened with players who enter too many tournaments for their own good. The Williams sisters choose their tournaments carefully (if anything they play too few rather than too many tournaments) and when they DO play they want to make it count.

Venus lost because she played a (by her standards) poor match and Golovin played a good one. Golovin was the better player on the day and it's not fair towards her to suggest that Venus simply gave her the match. Hingis, Clijsters, Sharapova, Venus....great players lose matches that they are supposed to win because they too are human and the girl on the other side of the net also knows how to hit a tennis ball. It's disappointing for the fans of said players when it happens but even the best painters can't create a masterpiece every day of their lifes.

lecciones
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I agree with the post above. The Williamses choose the very few tournaments they play carefully because they want to win. AND All tennis players are human after all.

pooh14
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:05 AM
please, william sisters would never play just for appearance fees.
if money is so important to them, they would be playing alot more tournaments.

don't make excuses. venus just came out from injury, she is not consistent yet. she is not like serena, who can come out from injury and win a big tournament.

venus need few more tournaments

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM

I just keep in mind that this is a fan making this claim, NOT Venus. No "champion" wants to lose. Ever. They always go out intending to win. Even if their game goes south, their mental attitude says, "just win baby!"

Otherwise, they're NOT champions. I consider Venus a champion.

PLP
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM

too true. ;)

Tati played really well today, Venus never quite found her rhythm. That is all.

Hashim.
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Yeah, and Maria lost to Serena on purpose at Australia and Miami. :secret:

:lol:

eugreene2
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I knew it was something ... just couldn't put my hands on it. LOL

piercerocks
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
she's the next andrea jaeger

ronim1
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:05 AM

If this is true, it's sad. Every person in professional sport should only have one thing in mind: winning.
:fiery: :sad:

petesz
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:26 AM
so many williams maniacs here

yeah, the W sisters always lost their matches on purpose. Does this make you high?

Sebastien123
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
fuck it, will not even waste my time to read such a useless threads :banghead:

Louis Cyphre
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM
OMG how stupid people can be :eek: :lol:

santhuruu
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
No Venus would never lose on purpose, she was very focused in her match, and her groundies were quite consistent, but the thing is that Golovin had a great defense with a combination of bringing back the shots with interest, and the way to beat Venus is having a great defence with bringing back the shots with interest. I've learned that by watching the quarterfinal match Clijsters vs. Venus UsOpen 2005, cause Venus her groundies were awesome at the moment, but the great defense of Clijsters was too much for Venus.

Soo Golovin won, Venus lost, both will learn from this match, and continue to work their way to the top in their next tournament. THAT'S IT!

hingis-seles
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Is it wrong that I love trolls? :hearts:

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Does anyone wanna bitch slap this person or should I?

Yasmine
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
please.

Venus wanted to play more, she wanted to win.
Her opponent was better.

bleh.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

:kiss: ;)

Yasmine
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Is it wrong that I love trolls? :hearts:
:lol: they're great entertainment aren't they? :devil:

meyerpl
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I order to seriously believe the premise put forth by the thread starter, you'd either have to believe that Venus Williams is an unconscionable, loathsome snake or be totally lacking of any moral compass yourself.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
so I'm guessing you believe Serena lost to Bammer because she knew the AO was coming up and she didn't want to have to play those many days in a row then fly to Melbourne and play every other day?? yup you sound just like....well....like....:unsure: ummmm.....well no one I have ever heard actually:rolleyes: Venus played crap....Golovin exploited it....simple

Direwolf
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:27 AM
somehow you have a point there....
even though i never thought that Venus would once again tank in her match...
I think that she does this secretly

Cuz you see... i f Venus wanted to win...
she could...
she could have won this atleast...

the only time she tank was in 2002.....
i guess that this is a smart move
for Charleston
where it matters more...

PreOp
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I think we as tennis fans must come to terms with the fact that the dumping of games, sets, and yes (outside of the four majors) even matches is an integral part of the game.

The reasons are always strategic.

A player when up a break will at times go one or two shots and out on their opponents service game in order to concentrate completely on holding their own serve. A tiring player will dump a set in order to best contest the next and deciding set.

Out and out dumping of matches leads us into the grey, which is made even more difficult since players keep their own counsel

If a seriously injured Venus, instead of taking as she said a hit for the team, had retired from her Wimbledon 2003 semi-final match against Clijsters instead of toughing it out for a win, would she have then dumped the match?

A player will go into a tournament with a goal in mind; for instance to pocket an appearance fee or gain a certain number points, or play only as much as is needed to benefit their game. Once the goal is reached there are few players who wouldn’t take easy wins all the way to the championship. However if the opponent plays smart and tough it’s another matter.

We know that strategic dumping of matches is prevalent in tennis. However in any given match it is a tough almost impossible call.

Venus’s strategy against Golovan was one or two shots and out. I call this a dump, and find Foxy’s reasoning compelling. However I have no quarrel with anyone who sees it differently.

ce
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes:,i love Venus,but she lost because she played like crap