PDA

View Full Version : Venus is NOT a great clay-court player.

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
She is a great player who can win matches on clay.

But Golovin, for example, is ten times the clay-court player that Venus is.

supergrunt
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Thats why Golovin made the French Open Final :woohoo: !

mirzalover
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting the some what obvious

SAEKeithSerena
i disagree, she is not GREAT, but she is better than a lot of other players...

she obviously has things to work on though.

AnnaK_4ever

and won Amelia Island, Charleston, Warsaw and Rome! :bounce:

Stamp Paid
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Why did I call this thread at the beginning of the second?
So predictable.

TomTennis

Golovin is a great clay courter, but wouldnt beat a great Venus Williams on clay, or any surface for that matter.

Its a shame that Venus Williams isnt playing great tennis because she is losing matches like these that she should be winning.

paranr

I have watched this match from the second set and I think that in the past when Venus was a true force on clay , she knew how to slide in it , and today she couldn't. that drop volley that Golovin hit - old times Venus would have picked it up. still the way she has come back from 4-1 down to 4-3 reminded me of the great player she was- as the commentator said- just like an express train.

Brooklyn90
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah she's just won 7 clay titles, and has beaten Henin on clay. :rolleyes:

henree
Venus was just mindlessly ball bashing the whole match. That isn't going to work on clay. Venus refuses to add more spin to her shots. And she doesn't use the angles of the court. She will never win the French. It just isn't in her.

GracefulVenus
Golovin is a great clay courter, but wouldnt beat a great Venus Williams on clay, or any surface for that matter.

Its a shame that Venus Williams isnt playing great tennis because she is losing matches like these that she should be winning.

Agreed!!!

Neptune

Get over it.Tati won.The end.

trufanjay
Well this match wasn't a great example of Venus' abilities on clay. If Venus wasn't a good clay court player she wouldn't have as many clay court titles and a Roland Garros final.

frontier
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
venus should stop losing to nobodies,players with no track record of ever achieving anything.golovin is a non achiever and venus should stop doing this to her legacy.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
It was a sloppy match from Venus. Tatiana is a natural clay court player. Just the way she hits her shots shows her clay abilities. She's not a hard hitter, a counterpuncher with accuracy and consistency. Even if she has not won a clay title, does not mean she is not better than Venus on clay. Venus is the all around better player, but clay is definitely her weakness. I was disappointed with the results and her play. It was not looking good at all when I came into the match at 0-2 first set. I hope Venus rests up and heals those blisters. I just wish Venus could get a good string of matches under her belt, esp. on clay so that she can get ready for the French.

rjd1111
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM

And is 80% winning player on Clay.

rjd1111
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM

And Her winning percentage on clay is 80%

vesanto
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Venus was just mindlessly ball bashing the whole match. That isn't going to work on clay. Venus refuses to add more spin to her shots. And she doesn't use the angles of the court. She will never win the French. It just isn't in her.

I agree with the fact that today she just bashed the ball and that she is not using the angles.

Direwolf
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
When Venus lost to Sharapova in Miami,
you wouldnt say that Venus is Not a great hard-court player right...

I dont wanna say that clay is Venuss weakness
I mean shes good on it but better in hardcourt...

the only thing that i find weird is that....
Venus just doesnt know how to keep the ball in play...
I mean she does have the experience to keep the ball in play right...
but...why cant she just keep it in play if she knows that shes not playing
well???
instead she just continues to make more unforce errors...

Viktymise
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
:haha: im sorry, but saying "But Golovin, for example, is ten times the clay-court player that Venus is." is probably the funniest thing iv heard all year. If Golovin has half the amount of success Vee has had on clay over her career she'll be lucky. I swear the worst posters on this board are those who after a player loses a bad match, come out with these Garbage threads like Venus is a bad clay courter. Last time i checked, she had one of the best overall records of any active player on the tour. Please check your facts before you post utter shit

RenaSlam.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
10x?

Come on now.

tae04
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Venus is being Venus. Her game has too many flaws.

davidmario
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
GoDom just can't deal with the fact that Venus (the BAD claycourter) beat Schnyder (the crafty player whose best surface is the clay) yesterday.

Thumbs down, godom!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I love that some posters here say things like that just after one bad match or one mad tournament. Obviously she's not a great champion on clay like for example Henin, but she definitely has the game that suits clay.. She didn't win few titles on clay for no reason...

winone23
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
:haha: im sorry, but saying "But Golovin, for example, is ten times the clay-court player that Venus is." is probably the funniest thing iv heard all year. If Golovin has half the amount of success Vee has had on clay over her career she'll be lucky. I swear the worst posters on this board are those who after a player loses a bad match, come out with these Garbage threads like Venus is a bad clay courter. Last time i checked, she had one of the best overall records of any active player on the tour. Please check your facts before you post utter shit

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm laughing with you LenaVee on that one!

Monica_Rules
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I think today Golovin just showed up Venus weakness on clay, i'm sure by Roland Garros Venus will be playing better on clay but i can't see her going all the way there, this year anyway.

Slumpsova
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
i knew this for years. she is good but not great
the fans are just :rolleyes: when they were talking about Venus making another RG final :o

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Venus is being Venus. Her game has too many flaws.

That's incorrect. Clay is not Venus' weakness she can play on it as her record shows. It is however her least favourite surface.

Right now it's not about surfaces Venus is playing on. Her main problem right now IMO is finding her confidence and game. She looked lost like she didn't know what to do. She looked like a player with no plan B. This will get better in time.

new-york
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
no news.
Venus is not a clay court player period.

But her game when decent/good can be effective on clay too.

kiwifan
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM

that is the correct response to this hater thread. :lol: :lol: :devil:

:worship:

obviously clay is most American players' least favorite surface, but no need to be a tennis idiot about one loss. :haha: