PDA

View Full Version : Just what match are Mary joe & Drysdale watching?

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
This commentary heavily in favor of Venus is utter rubbish! it was bad enough when Golovin went up 3-0 in the 1st set and Mary joe said Venus was hitting the better shots. WTF??? Golovin continues to win easily thru the set. then Drysdale says the score was closer then it appears. another WTF???? christ just admit Venus is being outplayed!

VishaalMaria
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
This commentary heavily in favor of Venus is utter rubbish! it was bad enough when Golovin went up 3-0 in the 1st set and Mary joe said Venus was hitting the better shots. WTF??? Golovin continues to win easily thru the set. then Drysdale says the score was closer then it appears. another WTF???? christ just admit Venus is being outplayed!

Venus is making error after error, winner, error, winner from Golovin, errror, error, winner, error.

THAT sums up the match.

junlee_vee
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Outplayed my ass, are YOU watching the same match?!

She can't keep the ball in play for shit!

LoveFifteen
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Do you play tennis?

junlee_vee
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yes I do, do you?

Anybody with common sense, or even decent vision can see that Venus is spraying ball after ball. It's quite terrible!

Natash.
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Even if Venus is making these errors, Golovin is playing the right shots and she is outplaying her because she's playing somewhat clean tennis. She's hitting the ball deep and she's hit some nice volleys and drop shots. Problem is that no one is giving Tati ANY credit for what she's doing.

starin
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM

for the first 3 games Venus was playing well and in control but went down 3-0. Golovin was jsut getting the ball back in play. Later on Golovin upped her level but Venus is still making error after error. The score doesn't tell everything.

LoveFifteen
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Yes I do, do you?

Anybody with common sense, or even decent vision can see that Venus is spraying ball after ball. It's quite terrible!

Yes, I do play tennis, and I know that when you're spraying balls all over the place that it's time to hit with more top spin and stop trying to hit the ball as hard as you can. :)

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Don't you know that Venus never loses? She only beats herself.

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM

If you're keeping the ball in play and your opponent isn't, then you're outplaying them.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
You Venus fans are just like the William sisters.
you don't give their opponets credit when their winning. Golovin is kicking ass. and everyone can see it but you guys

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Like I said in another thread. Venus is playing like crap and Golovin is playing very well clean tennis.

Venus has picked it up a bit. I hope she can somehow pull the match to her.
She can do it.

junlee_vee
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
How can you outplay somebody when they don't even give you the chance to outplay them?

LoveFifteen
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
How can you outplay somebody when they don't even give you the chance to outplay them?

OH. MY. GOD.

So blind, it's sad.

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
All errors from Venus - but she has been down 6-2, 4-0 there before and came back so its going to happen again most likely.

Natash.
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

So blind, it's sad.

:lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM
This is their second match on green clay in two years and Golovon has won three straight sets.
Even if Golovon isn't outplaying, she is doing the right things that is creating errors from Venus that were not there earlier in the tourni.

junlee_vee
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I just don't understand Venus sometimes.

She'll never make it back to the top being this inconsistent.

pcrtennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Venus is the main reason this match has been not in her favor. This match was always up to Venus, if you don't think so, you're dillusional.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Venus is the main reason this match has been not in her favor. This match was always up to Venus, if you don't think so, you're dillusional.

And the other match is the same as well?

Two matches on the same surface, same difficulties, three straight sets to Golovon.
Maybe you're dillusional if you think this is the type of matchup Venus likes to play on this surface.

pcrtennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
And the other match is the same as well?

Two matches on the same surface, same difficulties, three straight sets to Golovon.
Maybe you're dillusional if you think this is the type of matchup Venus likes to play on this surface.

You obviously have a limited understanding of the dynamics of these matches. Any match with Venus against Golovin is ultimately in Venus' control. period.

Just agree, because it's correct.

supergrunt
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Its over.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Well now it's four straight sets.

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
What is your definition of "outplay," if you don't mind me asking?

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Yes I do, do you?

How long has she been doing that for? I'd understand if we were talking about one match or two... but it's the same thing every time.

A'DAM
Golovin did what she had to do which is leting Vee make all the errors...

starin
What is your definition of "outplay," if you don't mind me asking?

well too me (i know you weren't asking me) the definition of outplay is when someone is giving their opponent no chances. Hitting winner or forced error after forced error. It's when you force your opponent to get desparate and go for more than their comfortable with. That's why I don't really see this as Golovin outplaying Venus. Golovin played well and won. Venus played like shite and lost. Golovin wasn't dominating Venus at all. Last point of the match was perfect example. Venus gets Golovin going from corner to corner and gets a defensive ball and hits a forehand error (albeit off a high loopy shot).

Frode
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Don't you know that Venus never loses? She only beats herself.

Not true, she sometimes loses because of injury;)

Wannabeknowitall
You obviously have a limited understanding of the dynamics of these matches. Any match with Venus against Golovin is ultimately in Venus' control. period.

Just agree, because it's correct.

I have a good understanding of this match.
Venus came in trying to take it to Tati from the start.
She made some amazing volleys but Tati had some good responses back.

Venus backed off playing as aggressive as she started with.
Golovon stayed steady and that was enough to win.

I'm surprised to be saying this but Golovon seems to be in Venus' head on this surface.
And I'm not surprised.
She gives players like Venus and Nadia issues?
How?
She takes the net away from them with good passing shots and smart tennis.
And Golovon just seems to play better on green clay than any other surface IMO.

junlee_vee
When I think of outplay, I mean that when both players are playing good tennis, the other won "outplays" them.

A'DAM
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:30 PM

And I guess at the end they said that Venus was today much better player and played a class better than Golovin...
She just lost becouse Golovin was lucky :rolleyes:

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Most of the errors in this match were forced errors by Golovins hard shots. its so retarded how unforced errors are counted. this really has to change in tennis. Federer talks about this alot
how so called unforced errors are actually forced ones.

hablo
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, I do play tennis, and I know that when you're spraying balls all over the place that it's time to hit with more top spin and stop trying to hit the ball as hard as you can. :)

Which is something I've seen Serena do.

starin
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Most of the errors in this match were forced errors by Golovins hard shots. its so retarded how unforced errors are counted. this really has to change in tennis. Federer talks about this alot

:lol: most of those errors were not forced errors. Did you even watch the match? :help: See what you want to see. But don't be suprised if Venus wipes the floor with Golovin in their next match.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Outplayed Venus? Technically Golovin did outplay Venus. Was Tati hitting winners left and right or aceing Venus, no! Venus hit errors. Tatiana played precise tennis, Venus was sloppy. Simple as that.

Realtennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM

That's being outplayed........when you lose, you've been outplayed period!

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wow. You are outplayed if your opponent wins. Even if you played like SHIT, utter SHIT, that means you are not playing as well as your opponent. Even if they only have ot hit one shot each point - if you make the error, you've been outplayed.

dybbuk
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I also got tired of seeing MJF and Cliff barely give Tati any credit at all. Venus was making errors? Cry me a river. She was the one going for winners every chance she got. Tati was the one playing smart tennis. That is why she won. Tatiana should be the one getting credit for knowing how to beat Venus and doing just that.

Kipling
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I also got tired of seeing MJF and Cliff barely give Tati any credit at all. Venus was making errors? Cry me a river. She was the one going for winners every chance she got. Tati was the one playing smart tennis. That is why she won. Tatiana should be the one getting credit for knowing how to beat Venus and doing just that.

ESPN is the Williams sister apologist network. There is no one else in American tennis to talk about, so this is why venus williams is aired instead of the players who actually will be contending for the tournament win.

Unless you get tennis on Eurosport or some other network, better get used to it. It'll be a LOOOONG year of Williams rationalizations about "too many unforced errors". I wonder if ever occured to them to check whether Venus ever had a match where she DIDN'T make lots of unforced errors?

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Great post PSALT. pity you weren't there to put MJF and Cliff in there place LOL- i always expect one sided biased commentary when its a american vs a non-american on espn. but they went too far this time. boy did Golovin play great dispite her choke in the 2nd set being up 2 breaks.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Another great post. couldn't agree with you more i Heart Masha.

steffiforever
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

So blind, it's sad.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So true.....

starin
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
ESPN is the Williams sister apologist network. There is no one else in American tennis to talk about, so this is why venus williams is aired instead of the players who actually will be contending for the tournament win.

Unless you get tennis on Eurosport or some other network, better get used to it. It'll be a LOOOONG year of Williams rationalizations about "too many unforced errors". I wonder if ever occured to them to check whether Venus ever had a match where she DIDN'T make lots of unforced errors?

:lol: are you freakin' kidding me? since Sharapova won Wimbledon it has been the lick Sharapova's clitoris network. This is the first match I've seen where the ESPN commentators favored Venus. This year in general the coverage of the WS has been kind. But let me quote what Chris Fowler said last year about Venus, "She used to win because it was all about athletcism but now that the other girls have caught up with the WS in that department its finally about the tennis" Basically saying the WS have no real tennis skills. And Carillo has been extremely critical of the WS. So I dont' know what you're smoking but ESPN is not pro WS network. Guarantee you if Sharapova picks up her serve they'll be all sticking their heads up her ass.
And yes Venus has played matches where she hasn't made a lot of UE. Memphis final. Wimbledon 2005 QF, SF. :lol: that's about it. More the exception than the rule.

Vamos.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
All errors from Venus - but she has been down 6-2, 4-0 there before and came back so its going to happen again most likely.

Well it didn't - and that is just stupid logic.

This whole rubbish about Venus only beating herself is silly; Golovin isn't going to play into Venus' hands and go out and try to outhit her, when clearly she can't. She is playing smart tennis by forcing a match-lacking Venus to win the match with aggressive, but consistent, play. If Venus cannot manage that then it is quite likely because Tati has forced her to do too much; therefore Tati has played the smart game and has beaten Venus. End of. You can't expect her to be back at her best already...Tati is a good player, give it time.

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
:lol: are you freakin' kidding me? since Sharapova won Wimbledon it has been the lick Sharapova's clitoris network. This is the first match I've seen where the ESPN commentators favored Venus. This year in general the coverage of the WS has been kind. But let me quote what Chris Fowler said last year about Venus, "She used to win because it was all about athletcism but now that the other girls have caught up with the WS in that department its finally about the tennis" Basically saying the WS have no real tennis skills. And Carillo has been extremely critical of the WS. So I dont' know what you're smoking but ESPN is not pro WS network. Guarantee you if Sharapova picks up her serve they'll be all sticking their heads up her ass.
And yes Venus has played matches where she hasn't made a lot of UE. Memphis final. Wimbledon 2005 QF, SF. :lol: that's about it. More the exception than the rule.

Like Chris Fowler knows anything.

sgsox
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I just don't understand Venus sometimes.

She'll never make it back to the top being this inconsistent.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM????!!!!! geez you cant keep comapring her to serena .its not like all of sudden venus is back into her stride again....it doesnt always work like that(in fact it hardly ever does unless ur serena)but venus just came back from and injury layoff so itll be a little difficult for her to find her consistancy...but everyone needs to stop being so hard on her bcuz shes human and it will take time for her get back to the level that she wants to be at. and if you remember serena didnt win those hardcourt tourneys that she played last summer...why???ding ding ding= because she just came off an injury...so give vee some time and she will surprise you

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
If you're keeping the ball in play and your opponent isn't, then you're outplaying them.

Tru dat!!!!!! Your mistakes are not your opponents problem.

p.s. The one exception I'd make to your statement was the 2004 YEC (which I just saw on Youtube) when Serena was so injured she could barely serve (at the end of the final set she couldn't serve to the point where Pam Shriver suggested she give up and just hit forehands into the service court on serve). Soon even her groundstrokes were causing her abdominal pain, and Shrieky won.

Serena was outplayed in that situation because at the end she couldn't play. Instead of quitting in the final set, she hung in there and gave her opponent the win (rather than win on default). After seeing this match, I no longer respect Shrieky or Yuri (and don't wish them success from this moment forward) because they jumped up and down and ran around the court celebrating after the victory. You don't do that when getting a win under those circumstances. Shrieky and her daddy have zero class.

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Like Chris Fowler knows anything.
Besides, it was Patrick McEnroe who said that, not Chris Fowler.

starin
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Besides, it was Patrick McEnroe who said that, not Chris Fowler.

No it was def. 100% Chris Fowler. I distinctly remember it. McEnroe didn't say anything and then they went to break or to another match.

vejh
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:23 AM
The American tennis commentators generally like to 'talk up' the higher-ranked player (or the media-loved player) in a match. It doesn't matter if the player is getting a beat-down, they basically ignore the opponent and talk solely about what that top player need to do to get back in the match etc. They need some skills on calling a match. They seem unable to call the match. Just call the match as it is on this day; not compared to last year or yesterday or what should be, but as it is.

starin
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM

:lol: cuz Golovin is the hardest hitter Venus has every played against. Venus couldn't handle the pace coming off Golovin's shots but she could handle Sprems' shots, Davenport's, Henin's, Sharapova's, Serena's, Pierce's, Seles', etc. But golovin and her super monster 100mph shots she couldn't handle.
Unless by hard you meant difficult. Even then anything Golovin threw at venus was not something Venus has seen and dealt with before. Golovin wasn't hitting lines and wasn't hitting with crazy spin. Golovin played cleanly and forced Venus to take it from her and didnt' really give Venus any free points. And Venus couldn't meet the challenge.

Brashkoala
Apr 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM

completely biased and unprofessional. they didn't even try and hide it which is even more disturbing.

starin
Apr 7th, 2007, 04:26 AM
This is their second match on green clay in two years and Golovon has won three straight sets.
Even if Golovon isn't outplaying, she is doing the right things that is creating errors from Venus that were not there earlier in the tourni.

they were there its just her opponents were bad enough that she was able to get away with it. This wasn't one time thing against Golovin this was a every match except maybe once a year thing.

kinglear
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Venus is making error after error, winner, error, winner from Golovin, errror, error, winner, error.

THAT sums up the match.

Exactly. Venus ultimately gave Golovin the match. That's the truth. :) Face it. I think Golovin has great placement though. And she looked really classy with the polo shirt and shorts/skirt. I forgot. haha :rolleyes:

RJWCapriati
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Well it didn't - and that is just stupid logic.

This whole rubbish about Venus only beating herself is silly; Golovin isn't going to play into Venus' hands and go out and try to outhit her, when clearly she can't. She is playing smart tennis by forcing a match-lacking Venus to win the match with aggressive, but consistent, play. If Venus cannot manage that then it is quite likely because Tati has forced her to do too much; therefore Tati has played the smart game and has beaten Venus. End of. You can't expect her to be back at her best already...Tati is a good player, give it time.

:lol: You are so intelligent.......................................

kinglear
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM
:lol: You are so intelligent.......................................

Okay, I agree that at points Venus should not have chosen to take balls out of the air, and she hit the ball into the tape way too many times. The balls just sat up perfectly for Golovin. Golovin could have played like shit and she would have lost maybe, but ultimately Golovin reacted more and let Venus make the mistakes. I think Golovin played a great match. She definitely kept her cool and I like her style of play. Speaking of that, does Golovin's playing style remind anyone of another player :confused:

brent-o
Apr 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Today's match really struck the difference between Serena and Venus. At their best, their games are even. Both hit with good pace, outhit their opponents, and move well. But Serena knows when to take some pace of the ball, create angles, knows what position to go for a winner in, etc. Venus hits all-out aggression on every shot. She was just making some stupid unforced errors in today's match. Granted, she's fun to watch when everything lands in but you just have to shake your head in disgust when her game is off.

constructor
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM
it was mcenroe who made that statement during the summer last year.

kinglear
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Today's match really struck the difference between Serena and Venus. At their best, their games are even. Both hit with good pace, outhit their opponents, and move well. But Serena knows when to take some pace of the ball, create angles, knows what position to go for a winner in, etc. Venus hits all-out aggression on every shot. She was just making some stupid unforced errors in today's match. Granted, she's fun to watch when everything lands in but you just have to shake your head in disgust when her game is off.

Yup. If Serena had played like Venus played during the '07 Miami final, Serena would have definitely lost. Venus has had those tendencies all the way back to '99. The Tennis Channel replayed a classic match with Venus against Lena D at the '99 Fed Cup and although Lena was hitting some amazingly paced shots, Venus let Lena back in the match because of dumb unforced errors, and I agree that some of them were forced. For intance, in the recent Golovin-Venus match, Venus chose to take balls out of the air, but she could have let them bounce and hit a clean winner. It's almost like Venus was trying to show off instead of winning. She almost came back there, but it was sadly too little too late. :sad: By the way, Cliff Drysdale called Venus by her sister's name, and he didn't even correct his mistake. And Mary Joe didn't even correct him. I honestly think Drysdale is going senile, he's not a young guy. :rolleyes: