PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, do you think a Seles-comeback would make sense?

Jogi
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I like her, and I'd really like to see her on court again...
but
She's 33 years old, has (had) problems with health, just lost a set to Navratilova in singles (and yes, I know it was a show-match)
imagine her playing against the Williams, Henin, Sharapova...

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
As much as I'd love to see Monica playing I'm afraid she's not gonna succeed in her possible comeback...

Paneru
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I like her, and I'd really like to see her on court again...
but
She's 33 years old, has (had) problems with health, just lost a set to Navratilova in singles (and yes, I know it was a show-match)
imagine her playing against the Williams, Henin, Sharapova...

Who cares?

Can you really not see what this is about?

Sure, the competitor in Monica would love win
but, this more than anything is about being
proactive and saying goodbye to a sport she's
loved for nearly all her life on her own terms!

Make no mistake about it, the competitor
in her will come to compete but, it's in the
end about so much more than simply winning.

C'mon now, look at this with your
heart and not your head. :cool:

selesbooz
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah because the Williams and Justine and Maria are the only players on the tour.
If Alexandra and Lucic can play and lose why can't Monica. Maybe her fans would like to see her one more time, for her to go out on her own terms.

You haters can go to hell.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
To the person who made this thread. your so full of SHI*. a supporter of Monica wouldn't make a thread like this. pea-brain

Jogi
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
To the person who made this thread. your so full of SHI*. a supporter of Monica wouldn't make a thread like this. pea-brain

:weirdo: :lol:
I can't see what's the big deal :shrug:
as I already mentioned I'd like to see her playing again, so I'm no hater

get a life :wavey:

jazar
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM
nope, it would be completely pointless

radwanska
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
a mary comeback will make sense,so why not Monica:rolleyes: never write off a champion

Kart
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
If Alexandra and Lucic can play and lose why can't Monica. Maybe her fans would like to see her one more time, for her to go out on her own terms.

Well said.

I think most of Monica's fans would be content seeing her unique game a few more times on the court.

It's not all about winning.

Paneru
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah because the Williams and Justine and Maria are the only players on the tour.

You haters can go to hell.

Don't sweat it babe! :cool:

It's quite obvious that there a quite a few
here that don't get it, never could & never will.

Oh well. :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Yes.
I think Monica's fan and Monica herself deserve some real closure.
I don't care if that means she's coming back or she officially retires.

frontier
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
i think she knows serena is about to overcome her this year,they get nervous when their records are about to be broken.hingis came back as soon as venus won wimbledon 2005.pete sampras is nervous about his records being broken roger.
let her come back and see that the tour is stronger than ever or she wants the limelight falling on serbia at the moment.
i am never going to be monica fan,the grunting is just too much to take.

RONALDO'S GUY
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Look at brenda schultz-she is older than monica and still winning-even if its on the ITF

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Why does it matter if it does or not? I'm so tired of hearing that 33 is too old. If she wants to compete and feels that she can, why not?

hdfb
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
i don't think she'd be successful, but i reckon she could do a farewell tour. she's been such an important icon and it'd be bad if she left abruptly like this.

but at the same time, she is 33. is her body up to it?

misael
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
With everything that Monica has gone through, she deserves to go out on her own terms.She loves tennis, I would love to see her compete again...It's not about the limelight or someone catching up to her,she just really,really, loves the game.It's very pure with her.

tennisbum79
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
i don't think she'd be successful, but i reckon she could do a farewell tour. she's been such an important icon and it'd be bad if she left abruptly like this.

but at the same time, she is 33. is her body up to it?
I agree with you for the reason you stated so eloquently.
However I voted no to the direct question of the poll.

Why did I vote not?
Remember before this hiatus, she had trouble finishing matches due
to lack of stamina/age and inadequate fitness level.
At time it was hard watching her laboring and breathing heavily in the later stages of a match.

Her impressive career speaks for itself. She has nothing else to prove.

GracefulVenus
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
She loves playing Tennis. That is not something that just goes away. Whether or not she is a factor on the tour is something I don't thinks she is worried about, she just wants to play.

tennisbum79
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who loved and appreciated what she accomplished and respects her athletic abilities. The only thing I can say is: what's the point? It would make absolutely no sense. She has nothing left to prove; no reason to come back to the tour. It seems like life off the tennis court has been treating her well. She looks healthy and happy (happier than I remember her looking during her last matches). I honestly think that returning will do nothing except stain her legacy. Especially when I think she has no chance to win anything except a Tier III or IV tournament here or there. The game has evolved and a new generation of players has taken control. She should stay away and leave her legacy in tact.

It would be awesome to see her play, but if thinking about it logically, there is no reason to return. Her time has passed. To me, some of her fans seem to have this selfish desire to see her play again. I can understand why…she did leave the game hastily and didn't give them a proper chance to say goodbye. But still, it makes no sense to come back. At least to me. Obviously, if she chooses to comeback (ultimately, it will be her decision) I would respect that, I would wish her all the luck in the world and I would probably enjoy her farewell tour just as much as the next person.

Well said.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Monica just wants to play again on the pro tour. can some of you grasp that?

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
It would be awesome to see her play, but if thinking about it logically, there is no reason to return. Her time has passed. To me, some of her fans seem to have this selfish desire to see her play again. I can understand why…she did leave the game hastily and didn't give them a proper chance to say goodbye. But still, it makes no sense to come back. At least to me. Obviously, if she chooses to comeback (ultimately, it will be her decision) I would respect that, I would wish her all the luck in the world and I would probably enjoy her farewell tour just as much as the next person.

I don't think it's selfish.
I don't even think many care either way if she comes back or officially retires.
I just wish she would make up her mind.
Last year she said if she didn't come back by the summer she wasn't coming back.
Now she says she has five good WTA tournaments in her.
Just make up your f---ing mind Monica.

Damn three years maybe even four to make a decision.

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I don't even think many care either way if she comes back or officially retires.
Last year she said if she didn't come back by the summer she wasn't coming back.

I don't think it's about making up her mind... I don't think she was ready to make up her mind / retire anyway. She probably just couldn't accept giving up, and I guess she is feeling better now since she is making that statement.

CORIA01
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
SHE HAS DONE SO MUCH FOR TENNIS THAT NOW SHE HAS NOTHING TO PROOVE ,SO COMING JUST FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME IS FANTASTIC FOR HER AND FOR HER FANS!
AND MAYBE SHE CAN WIN SOME MATCHES!!!
IT WILL BE FANTASTIC FOR THE WTA IF MONICA WILL PLAY AGAIN!!!!!

Helen Lawson
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM
It depends what you expect Monica to do on court today. I've been pretty open about my belief that with the exception of a handful of women right now, most of them suck today and Monica could beat them even at age 33. I think if you want her back and in the Top 20, that's certainly likely, but there are no slam finals left, if that's what you mean.

tennisbum79
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM

One of the reason with Monica vacillating is that she seems to not have
developped any interest outside of tennis.

Tennis seems to be the only thing she has.
Same case with Martina Nav.

MH0861
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
LOL people, she's not making this comeback with the thought of winning slams again. Let her end her career however she wants, on her own terms.

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
LOL people, she's not making this comeback with the thought of winning slams again. Let her end her career however she wants, on her own terms.

:worship:

mashamaniac
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
i guess a comeback would coincide with her playing unbelivably well! i ain't sayin' that she will win any GS or something,but i guess she'll have a better comeback than martina's!

Lulu.
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Well said :)

-jenks-
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yes, she needs to end on her terms... not her injuries'

andrewbroad
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I don't know anyone who's won nine Grand Slams and had so many doubters in their lives. I guess just Monica.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/)

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I believe that if and when Monica plays professional tennis again, she will be100% ready to play. She's not doing a clijsters farewell tour, which is making Kim look rediculous. Monica wants to play a few more events, but she will come back in form. She's aware of what she's done in this sport and she's not going to go out there and embarass herself--she won't come back if she's not playing at a certain level. apparently, Monica has been training at Bollitieri's so she would have the opportunity to hit with today's pros and see how she matches up. And as for the game "evolving"--please. The top players today are the same ones there were when Monica left, and she competed with them just fine then, when she was not in great shape.

and as to the age issue--if she's playing a limited schedule, it's not a big deal. Plus, yes she's 33, but she was out for 2 1/2 years in the mid-90s and has not had the wear and tear of the tour for the past 4 years.

Let's keep in mind that she is in 100 times better shape than when she left and would likely be much quicker around the court; plus she is one of the most talented players to ever play and one of the best ball strikers in history.

Once Monica in her mind decides to step back on the court, in my mind the injury is the only thing that will prevent her from playing at her level.

carling
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I absolutely LOVE Monica Seles, but her time as passed. What can she accomplish in 5 tournaments anyway? I admit it would be great to see her on court, but I'm afraid she's going to be a shadow of her former great self.

I'm sure Monica still feels her career is unfinished because she experienced more than her fair share of bad luck and was forced out of the game. I'm sad for what happened to Monica, but unfortunately life isn't fair. Tracy Austin's career was pretty much over by the time she was 20. Tracy would have certainly won many more Grand Slams were it not for her back injury.

The good news is Monica looks better than ever and tennis did make her rich. She can pretty much do whatever she likes, an option most people do not have. I wish Monica well. She's a great champion and a great person.

new-york
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
it makes sense because she wants to, & i'm sure we're all curious to see her playing a wta event again.
as long as we don't expect anything, that should be entertaining.

Mina Vagante
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
no, not at 33

Volcana
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Of course it makes sense. She needs it for herself.

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I honestly believe that she could go deep at the US Open. If she got the right draw, the night matches could really give her some energy. Not saying she would win it, but we'd definately get some memorable moments.

tennisjunky
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
if agassi can still compete when he was her age, then theres no reason to think that she cant. her groundstrokes are not going to be any different. getting to 32 doesn't take your power away. and her fitness is better than it's ever been. the only real problem she'll have is confidence and believe. if she can fiind that then she can be the best she ever was. give her chance before you completely write her off.

BartoliBabes
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't think it's a matter of haters or 'true' fans. .lol.

Monica is such an amazing individual that nothing would surprise me frankly. I feel that if she worked hard enough she could compete on the tour for another year. The fact is, she's already overcome so much in her life (the stabbing primarily) that I (and the rest of monica's fanbase) believe she has it in her. There's no doubt that she deserves it..

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
If Monica did this, it would not be because she felt she had something to prove, or to win another slam. People need to let go of this belief that she'd be doing it because she wants to be number one again LOL. Monica said she could see herself back "for a good 5 tournaments." That's it. It's not like she said she wants to compete for another several years. A good 5 tournaments, to me, means it would be a farewell tour, to end things on HER OWN terms, as she says. And if she loses to some players she shouldnt lose to... then so what? I think if Monica did this, the only important thing would be the fact that she's doing what SHE wants to do, and giving not just her fans, but tennis fans in general one more chance to watch her belt some balls as a healthy competitor.

All that said, I still dont even think she's gonna bother trying this. But if she does, I'll be sooooooooooo excited to see her out there again, and I would give her all the support in the world. Monica's the best.

Oh, and to suggest it would tarnish her legacy to do this? I think that's such bullshit, seriously. Like her coming back to play a few events at this point somehow takes away from what she's achieved in the past? Gimme a break. Monica's legacy will always be intact. What she's done in the sport and for the sport will always be remembered, and doing a farewell tour sure as hell won't change that in any way.

JackFrost
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Look at brenda schultz-she is older than monica and still winning-even if its on the ITF

Brenda is winning? When? What? Where?

I don´t think, that Monica would play some ITF Tournaments. She is no Brenda Schultz-McCarthy or Jelena Dokic.

A Comeback would make only sense for Monica, if she could play at top 10 or top 20 level. Should she let herself beaten up by some youngsters only to make some fans happy?

andrewbroad
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
What can she accomplish in 5 tournaments anyway?

As many Grand Slams as Pete Sampras.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/)

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Yes

Williams-forever
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
What makes sense is that Monica obviously wants more and then why shouldn't she try? What doesn't make sense is that she only intends to play like 5 events and if that is the case i think it's too much effort to put into a comeback...