PDA

View Full Version : brits to get top 100 in 2008

smithy1976
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Who do you think of the brits will get in the top 100 next year, or indeed this year.

Heres my thought on the players

Anne seems to be a player who comes up short against the top 100 girls and i think will always eb ranked around 140-160

Mel south seems to have the game but, something seems to be going rong as after last year i thought she would be knocking on the door of the top 100 (now it seems her ranking depends on wimbledon this year)

katie has fight and although doesnt seem to have a great weapon (apart from a never say die attiutude and great consistancy) could push up higher in the comming months but i think top 150 is as good as it going to get

Amanda and Sarah - i think will prob stay where they are

Now the exciting part

Georgie seem to be going the right way- but what i dont understand (maybe someone can enlighten me) why when they are in form and going the right way, and point are there to be taken do they pull out of event ( like i dont see georgie on the lists to play in the comming weeks) but i think with the right guidence top 200 by the end of the year should be a cake walk...and maybe be a aussie open quallies in jan

Naomi- will she be britains answer to Patty snyder ( very good lefty)

I think both the above too need top coached and maybe it time for the LTA to put there hands in there pockets and lets see them develop further

Bally (will be back there shortly) if illness stays away-

please could anyone let me know there thoughts particular about plares on the way up, and why do they pull out of touraments

jamatthews
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Georgie is getting allocated a coach either now or soon so it's a good time to have a training block, especially since it's a change in surface (assuming she's going to play the Clay). Also there is only 1 more event on Hard in the near future and she didn't even enter that so her schedule was planned way before she reached the final. The only way she could change her mind if they gave her a WC.

As for who can break the top 100, Naomi's weapons and ability to play on all surface should see her inside the top 100 next year (possibly after the Australian Open). Elena can break the top 100 next year as well but she needs to stay healthy and learn to play on US Hardcourts. Melanie's form is surprising but I think she's also coachless so perhaps if she is able to get a permanant coach now the NTC is complete her fortunes might change. She definitely has the weapons, and has been notching up some very good wins in doubles so Top 100 there isn't out of the question if she was to get into bigger events.

Monica_Rules
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I think Naomi will be the first to break the top 100, i hope by doing so she can bring a few other girls along with her like Bally.

Don't know if Georgie can make the top 100, she is certainly capable of the top 150 as are most of our players, we will have to wait and see.

Mel has been the biggest shock for me for a while, i thought by now she'd be comfortable inside the top 150 and moving slowly upwards.

My hope is once we get one the floodgates open and more british girls break the top 100, i think its possible. Anne has a problem with her mental toughness but having say 2/3 players ranked in the top 100 above her should take the pressure off her and then maybe we can see her fulfill her talent.

smithy1976
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I must admit i havnt seen georgie play, so dont know er style...9is she a power player?

As i seem to think apart from bally (and an on form Mel) that seems to be what the british girls need, as in the rankings 50-150 there aint many big hitters.

I hope mel turns it around as her game should be too much for a lot of players. maybe going down to sum 10K to build her confidence and points wise a few wins would get her more than she is getting now

jazar
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
naomi whipped karin knapp the other week and she is on the verge of cracking the top 100, so thats a good sign

jamatthews
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
naomi whipped karin knapp the other week and she is on the verge of cracking the top 100, so thats a good sign

She also just got whipped herself by Carly Gullickson, 1 match doesn't really mean much. Being top 100 is about sustaining that form for a period of time (often on a variety of surfaces).

Monica_Rules
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah but we know that Naomi is capable of playing well on all surfaces.

More practice on the dirt and she'll be winning 25ks on clay, we don't really know what happened in the match vs Gullickson, maybe Naomi just had a shocker.

On the subject of Georgies play, its been a good 2 years since i saw her but when i saw her she had a big forehand which she likes to hit a lot, runs round her backhand a lot, a decent serve, decent mover, can't remember her next game but her backhand needed a lot of work and from the trainin sessions she was doing that i saw thats what she was working on.

Her forehand is definately her main weapon but to get the results shes been getting in the past 6 months she must have worked on her backhand and improved everything.

jamatthews
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah but we know that Naomi is capable of playing well on all surfaces.

More practice on the dirt and she'll be winning 25ks on clay, we don't really know what happened in the match vs Gullickson, maybe Naomi just had a shocker.

Well done for completely missing my point.

jazar
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:30 AM
She also just got whipped herself by Carly Gullickson, 1 match doesn't really mean much. Being top 100 is about sustaining that form for a period of time (often on a variety of surfaces).

and she beat abigail spears, formerly as high as 66

WIMBY
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM
With IMG/Felgate behind her, definately Naomi has a very good chance.

Anne, Melanie, Katie, Georgie could all make it when they are allocated coaches.

Bally should also be up there if she stays fit and well.

Amanda could also be knocking on the door with a good grass season.

smithy1976
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hi

Do we think Naomi will get any wildcards in main draws of addiotnal tournamens other than the UK ones. I see she has one this week.

would that be due to the progress or does she have people in her team that could swing things for her?

jamatthews
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi

Do we think Naomi will get any wildcards in main draws of addiotnal tournamens other than the UK ones. I see she has one this week.

would that be due to the progress or does she have people in her team that could swing things for her?

She has people who can swing things for her. She can only have one more MD Challenger WC this year though.

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Jessica and Jennifer Ren are names for the future

WIMBY
Jun 16th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Georgie injured
Natasha injured
Amanda sick

Bally back fit and well
Melanie back on form on the grass

Mforensic
Jun 17th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Ouch!!! Bally, Anne, and Naomi will be our top 150 hopes for this year.

Monica_Rules
Jun 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Its a shame Georgie and is missing the grass season i think she would have a had a big breakthrough and got inside the top 200. Just means next year she'll be even better and can do even better.

Whats up with Tash? Shes had a decent year so far, thought she'd win a match at wimbo quallies and move even higher.

Europe rocks
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
All of us here bashing Katie and suddenly after a superb (by British standards) grass court season she is comfortable positioned to get into the top 100 soon, hopefully. With the right scheduling and if she can stay fit she could just do it. Playing on the ITF circuit before the US Open and then playing some weak tour events in Asia, like Kolkata, Seoul, Tashkent etc. could see her up in the top 100 :)

Slutiana
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM
All of us here bashing Katie and suddenly after a superb (by British standards) grass court season she is comfortable positioned to get into the top 100 soon, hopefully. With the right scheduling and if she can stay fit she could just do it. Playing on the ITF circuit before the US Open and then playing some weak tour events in Asia, like Kolkata, Seoul, Tashkent etc. could see her up in the top 100 :)

The only reason im not very optimistic is because remember when bally was at an almost identical position? Remember what happened? :help:

but the way i see it is that we have 5 top 100 hopes which is probably the most we've had in years. They all have to overcome some kind of obstacle but i think they can all do it. Bally is of course our best chance and many people on GM were saying she and Cavaday are top 50 material but only if cavaday shreds some weight. Im glad bally has started to play aggresively again because the loopy balls to the middle against vaidisova were quite horrendous especially when vaidisova's weakness is her movement and she should have been exploiting the movement. Bally showed her class when although she was having a bad day, she was still able to at least make it a match.

smithy1976
Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hi guys

With half the season gone, has anyones views changed on who could be heading to the top 100, any players who have surprised/ dissapointed?

Any news on when georgie may be back playing, and where Naomi is playing next?

I think brit tennis in its best state for a good few years and i woudnt be surprised if this time next year we have a fiair few players in the top 150

I must say i thin some of the brits need to play more of the bigger tournaments if possible ( ranking permitting) if Katie had played the 2 weeks after wimbledon she could be top 100 now

Europe rocks
Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think it was sensible of Katie to take a bit of a break. For too many years the British girls have been playing week in, week out and I think she was right to stop, get fitter and try to raise her level for the bigger events.

As for Naomi, she still has a lot of work to do. From what I saw in Felixstowe, she was really struggling. She still needs to make sure she is getting the most out of her serve, and when that isn't working, she needs to make sure she can continue to get the ball in play. She wasn't returning too well either.

As for Anne and Mel I still have no idea with them. Anne needs to improve her scheduling - playing an ITF event on clay :o Mel has very little to defend from late August through to pretty much June, so if she can just keep getting the wins, she should be getting back there.

Good to see Bally back and if she can have a decent period of time where she remains healthy, she should be top 200 by the end of 2007 for sure and in the top 100 by 2008.

WIMBY
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Katie, Anne, Melanie, Naomi and Bally all have the game to be top 100 players and will be interesting to see who moves up in the next half of the year. I am sure that they all are capable of getting there.

Katie has taken a training block, Melanie had a training block after Wimbledon instead of rushing off to the next tournament and Naomi is on a training block for next four weeks. Bally said she was going to La Manga for a week after Wimbledon.

Georgie and Natasha also have the game but both with stress fractures of the feet, it may now take a little longer to get there.:sad:

Amanda is expecting a bundle of joy in 2008 :angel:

Good luck girls :)

WIMBY
Dec 28th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Nearly end of 2007 and top 5 are still the top 5, interesting to see what 2008 brings.

smithy1976
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Just looking at this last post i did with us almost a 3rd of the way through the year... How wrong was i about anne, she seems to be improving i last saw her play jankovic at wimbledon and thought she actually did better than the score suggested. has anyone seen her play recently? has anything chnaged in her game to explan the what seems like ranking improvments?

Bally is back and goign well, may be a bit to optamistic but maybe 4 girls in the top 100 come the end of year, esp mel as she doesnt seem to have a great deal of points to defent apart from first round win at eastbourne . i hope they get future good draws in GS

Slutiana
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Just looking at this last post i did with us almost a 3rd of the way through the year... How wrong was i about anne, she seems to be improving i last saw her play jankovic at wimbledon and thought she actually did better than the score suggested. has anyone seen her play recently? has anything chnaged in her game to explan the what seems like ranking improvments?

Bally is back and goign well, may be a bit to optamistic but maybe 4 girls in the top 100 come the end of year, esp mel as she doesnt seem to have a great deal of points to defent apart from first round win at eastbourne . i hope they get future good draws in GS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjxsxVAYJsU

Comparing Anne's Wimbledon form (not eastbourne because both Anne and Bally played so badly), it seems she has flattened out her shots and going for it more and her mental toughness has improved heaps and on numerous occasions (this and the end of last year) we've seen her fight back from a set down or a set and break down and come back to win the match. I think she wants it more than ever which is great to see. She has no points to defend in the grass season so I can see her breaking into the top 100 then.

Bally is finally playing the way we know she can. I watched the whole match at Wimbledon and there were patches of her great self there. No one seems to have downloaded the second set but she played really well against a top 25 opponent and really should have won.

Also glad to see Mel playing well and Naomi back. Katie is going to have to break out of this slump because I see her out of the top 250 after wimbledon. :o

smithy1976
May 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
how do people think the first part of the year gone... Its looking good for the brits...many of them near career highs with the grass court season almost here..

I really do think it is looking good for bally anne and mel...i think anne has the fewest points to defend

I just hope the draws a more favourable this year in the big tourns

id hope they could get someone like a castano/errani on grass

Mforensic
May 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM
The grass season usually makes or breaks our girls, though they are great on the hard courts as well. Anne has to defend her Sf points from Kolkata so that could be tough for her. Bally has already doubled her points from this time last year. mel seems to moving steadily along point wise. Katies does well at the big affairs, but craps out when the little tourys happen. So all of these girls have a shot top 100 definitely by the end of the year. time will tell!

WIMBY
May 1st, 2008, 11:45 PM
GB Girls are certainly moving on up, nice to see the LTA give them a mention today as well. Keep going girls. :wavey:

smithy1976
Jun 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
well guys annes done it and seems to be going up, and katie must be on the brink, shame so many points for her todefend over the grss court season.

where do people think we will be after the grasscourt season, including felixstow. i think anne could be top 75 a win a wimbledon would ensure that.....and the rest of year a building platform to go higher.

already broady had good results and maybe putting herself in line for a wimbledon wilcard, which this year could be hard choosing...i may be tempted to make cavaday qualify....and go for katie, mel, bally, broady, stoop and fitzpatrick ( not sure how many they can give) but if one more maybe a junior Rae or brown.

what are other peoples though for the next 4/5 weeks

id love the brits to get could draws last year apart from katie, the draws were awful... someone like del los rios, or castano if she in would be great