PDA

View Full Version : Monica beats Navratilova 6-7 (1), 6-2, 10-1(Says she has 5 GOOD Tour Tournaments left

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
April 5, 2007, 11:38PM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Monica Seles has had a great run in tennis, and she wants to go out on her own terms
Driven by love of game

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Monica Seles does not look back with anger or remorse, only with occasional regret. And Seles' regret is tempered by two truths, that she was a victim of bad luck, not bad behavior, and that her life has been almost incomprehensively wonderful.

Yes, she got stabbed in the back in the middle of a match, derailing a career that might have broken all the records. Yes, a chronic foot problem, resulting in two operations, has made these last few years frequently hellish while prolonging her official tennis swan song. But there is no hint of bitterness when she speaks.

"I had terrible luck, that's true," Seles said. "What happened to me has never happened to any (athlete). But what happened was beyond my control. I didn't do anything wrong. Even the foot ... it just happened. I'd be lying if I didn't say there were a lot of bad days, but I've always tried to roll with it and stay positive."

Seles, 33, misses competitive tennis, and that as much as anything explains this long goodbye. Almost four years after her last tour match, a first-round loss at the French Open, she remains unretired.

Taking on Navratilova
That's why she played Martina Navratilova at River Oaks on Thursday. The exhibition, which Seles won 6-7 (1), 6-2, 10-1, served as the first step to determining the when, the where and the why of the last step.

"My personal theory is, if you're retired, you're retired," Seles said. "You don't come back. And I don't feel like I'm ready to say that. I'm in such good shape. I only wish I was in this good a shape when I was playing. It's hard to accept that, just because of an injury, you're finished."

Seles dreams of playing the French Open again. The Australian and U.S. opens, too, if not Wimbledon.

She believes she has maybe five tournaments left in her reconstructed foot and, she said, "I want to make sure I'm fully prepared. The tournaments I played injured were the worst times of my life. I told myself I'd never do that again."

Wear and tear had caused a bone in the bottom of her foot to disintegrate, causing pain.

"The last three years have been so frustrating," Seles said. "For me, it's so simple. I just love to play tennis. Anyone that's been close to me can see the ups and downs I've been through, feeling that it's going to be OK, then being very disappointed and down all over again. I could write a book on rehab.

"Finally in December, when I started hitting again, I thought, 'Hey, this is feeling pretty good.' I still have to be very cautious, to take every other day off, but I called Martina and said (playing an exhibition) would be really fun. I told her, 'I know you're done, but I'm not really sure I am.' "

Navratilova sort of owed her. When she was coming out of retirement again a couple of years ago, she had recruited Seles for a pair of matches in New Zealand, winning both. Back in the day, as Seles was coming up and Navratilova was going down, they squared off 17 times in less than four years. Seles won 10, including the 1991 U.S. Open final and a Wimbledon semifinal in 1992.

Navratilova's career would become the antithesis of Seles' interrupted one, enduring and fruitful. Seles has been forced to settle with fruitful.

"What happened to Monica," Navratilova said, "was ludicrous, so unfair."

Seles collected nine Grand Slam titles, eight of them before she turned 20 — and seven of the last eight she contested before being stabbed in the back by an unemployed Steffi Graf-obsessed lathe operator in Hamburg 14 years ago this month. With Seles gone from the tour for the subsequent 2 1/2 years, Graf collected six of her record 21 majors, three more than Navratilova's total.

There are plenty of players like Seles. She invented a genre. Her two-fisted power game from the deep backcourt, accompanied by a guttural symphony of grunts, moans and shrieks, foretold where women's tennis was headed.

Beating an idol
But she would prefer to write the final chapter. And, if that's going to happen, it will have started in Houston, where the story began. In 1989, Seles, then 15, beat Chris Evert at Westside Tennis Club to claim the first of her 53 WTA titles. She remembers every detail.

"You're 15 years old, you've watched Chrissie who is kind of your idol and suddenly you're across the net from her," Seles said. "I'd lost to her pretty bad a couple months before in Boca Raton and, to just actually win a tournament, against Chrissie, that was amazing.

"Growing up, everybody says, 'Oh, Monica is going to be great, blah, blah, blah.' But, until it happens, you never really know. As a player, you have doubts. (Beating Evert) was almost a validation. I said I don't care if I ever win another tournament. At least I won one. I'll never forget taking that big (cardboard) check they used to give you in the old days onto the airplane with me. I still have it somewhere. It was for more money than I'd ever seen — $50,000. How could I forget that?"

dale.robertson@chron.com
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4692747.html

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
She won....:worship: 5 tournaments left:eek: :sad: I think im fainting...Thanks great article..!!!:drool:

woosey
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
wow - hard to believe she would ever consider coming back. i would hate to see her tarnish her legacy though.

piercerocks
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM
monica won! now we know she can at least win a doubles slam, lol. it would be great to see her back on the tour but unless she can fully confirm it i wouldn't bet on it

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Wow, 5 tournaments. I'd be satisfied if she's just come back for one. Glad to hear she's taking it slow though and knows she won't be able to play a full schedule. I would love to see her play the US Open, just one last time.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:00 AM
She won....:worship: 5 tournaments left:eek: :sad: I think im fainting...Thanks great article..!!!:drool:

Your Welcome...I think we're fainting together!!! I am so happy, and she WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN...Please GOD don't let her have a setback...I knew when I got word that she was at Bolleteri's and that Nick was with her everyday, I knew that she was taking this very serious! These people think it's only so she can get money from sponsors and contracts...SHE WANTS TO PLAY SOME TENNIS...AND THE PICTURE FROM THE WEBSITE SHOWS SHE'S SPORTING A NEW RACQUET!!!!

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM
She really does look to be in very good shape, the best I've ever remembered her looking.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM
She really does look to be in very good shape, the best I've ever remembered her looking.

I agree...did you see the picture on the article...go to the link...WOW!!!

Brooklyn90
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Please come back!!! :)
I say she'll be back by AO next year :yeah:

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/04/05/5762310/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Go Go Monica!!! I'm so glad she won. Seems she settled in after that first set. Great to just see her back on court. Even though 5 tournaments is more than I'd ever thought I'd see her play again, it has that finality to it, but bring it on. You rock Monica--come back and kick some butt!

Who knows, if she does come back, and she spaces out her tournaments enough, she could play more. It's just so refreshing to have some positive news. Monica fans, like Monica, never give up hope.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/04/05/5762310/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Go Go Monica!!! I'm so glad she won. Seems she settled in after that first set. Great to just see her back on court. Even though 5 tournaments is more than I'd ever thought I'd see her play again, it has that finality to it, but bring it on. You rock Monica--come back and kick some butt!

Sporting a NEW STICK TOO!!! Does anyone know what kind that is?

piercerocks
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM
it would be great to see her back at flushing meadows!

Brashkoala
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM
i'm so happy she's coming back. i hope and expect her to play the next four majors. im also happy about the score. it seems like she must have been really nervous in the first set, but by the time she loosened up in the second and third set, she rolled over matina.

Jeff
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Nobody can love the game more than Monica Seles, that's for sure. I remember her saying something like, even when she's retired, she'll still play at the local clubs. So cute she is :lol: It is sad what has happened to her. I hope she is able to at least come back for a few tournaments. I think this would sooth her into retirement easier. Good luck to her.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Now you want to talk about unfair Martina.
Your bitterness against Monica at the 1992 Wimbledon was unfair.

I wonder what tournaments she'll play?

Maybe Toronto, US Open, Hobart, Australian Open, Tokyo?

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Let me see "5 good tour tournaments left." Are we talking about any tournament on the WTA Tour, or is she referring to Grand Slam tournaments? I'm ignorant of the process. Does she get an automatic draw because of her past success? Or, does she get to be invited to play qualifying rounds? Just curious. :shrug:

I guess it would be "exciting" to see a veteran return for some more glory days to see if she still has it. As the innovator of the grunt in women's tennis that changed the sound of tennis I think she can out grunt today's grunters. Maybe we can call her return: The Return of the Grunt. ;)

Now don't get excited. Just interjecting some humor. Seriously.:eek:

Well Monica will always be Monica...and any tournament director on the wta tour is going to give her any wildcard that she ask for.

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM
:haha: "For the love of the game." More like "love of the ego." If she is able to comeback and win, what does that say about the sorry state of women's tennis? She's welcome to try. After all, it's a game of opportunity.:worship:

I act like i havent read your post :mad: love of the ego -my arce......:fiery: :( I cant take your posts seriously....;)

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Let me see "5 good tour tournaments left." Are we talking about any tournament on the WTA Tour, or is she referring to Grand Slam tournaments? I'm ignorant of the process. Does she get an automatic draw because of her past success? Or, does she get to be invited to play qualifying rounds? Just curious. :shrug:

I guess it would be "exciting" to see a veteran return for some more glory days to see if she still has it. As the innovator of the grunt in women's tennis that changed the sound of tennis I think she can out grunt today's grunters. Maybe we can call her return: The Return of the Grunt. ;)

Now don't get excited. Just interjecting some humor. Seriously.:eek:

She'll for sure get some wildcards into whatever tournaments she chooses. Hope it's the Grand Slams. But it sure will be great to have the Grunt back :lol:

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Now you want to talk about unfair Martina.
Your bitterness against Monica at the 1992 Wimbledon was unfair.

I wonder what tournaments she'll play?

Maybe Toronto, US Open, Hobart, Australian Open, Tokyo?

I hope so, while clay is really a grinder...it would be nice to play at the French Open since that's where it all began...and her record there is :) :) ...

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Does anyone happen to have a video of the match, by the way? Possibly on megaupload? *gets on knees and begs*

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I hope so, while clay is really a grinder...it would be nice to play at the French Open since that's where it all began...and her record there is :) :) ...

Roland Garros this next month,:D any dream for any selesfan, just 1 more time!!!!:drool:

Brashkoala
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:26 AM
the wta tour made a special rule for her in the gold exempt list. when she comes back, she'll be able to get into whatever tournament she wants.

the rule was especially made for monica, but did not mention her name. lindsay wanted to get in on it last year, but couldn't for some reason.

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
she probably won't even need a wild card anyway. I'm not sure how the special injury ranking works, but if it still applies to monica, then she was ranked #12 when she left, and would get into any event.

Monica wants to play the slams. I worry about that sticky rebound ace, the grueling nature of the French, and the pounding hardcourts of the US open. Kind of funny that Wimbledon and its shorter points is probably best suited now to Monica's condition.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Roland Garros this next month,:D any dream for any selesfan, just 1 more time!!!!:drool:

i agree:drool: :drool: !!! i would love it...she would get so much crown support...and Monica loves Roland Garros...it would take the bad taste out of my mouth from when she limped off the court to Petrova in 03.

kittyking
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Ive heard it all before :rolleyes:

CORIA01
I Will Be So Happy If Monica Could Play!!!!!
I Really Miss Her Game!
Hope We Will See Her In Gs !!!

Anna F'd Enrique
Is she still playing with two hands on both sides? Didn't someone here say she is now using a one-handed forehand or something?

Monica come back.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Is she still playing with two hands on both sides? Didn't someone here say she is now using a one-handed forehand or something?

Monica come back.

Yes someone said that but from what people tell me that we're there tonight, she was still playing with two hands. But the good thing about that previous report is that the person said that Monica was serious about coming abck and training intense as ever...and I think we're seeing the result of that. I guess she did have surgery according to the article.

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:34 AM
i agree:drool: :drool: !!! i would love it...she would get so much crown support...and Monica loves Roland Garros...it would take the bad taste out of my mouth from when she limped off the court to Petrova in 03.

would love to see Monica at the French, and I'm sure they would be behind her, but they are extremely fickle. In '98 they loved her, then in 2000 when she played Mauresmo (granted they are french) they booed her when she went to blow her nose after a game

Hardiansf
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Monica is Monica.
She loves the game so much.
And thats why I love her so much.
Wish the best 4u MONICA

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I hope she can come back before the end of the year and play at least half of '08 :hearts::drool:

MistyGrey
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Allez Mon! :bounce:

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Ive heard it all before :rolleyes:

Really? Where? Link me to an article and I might consider believing you.

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
well in that picture she is hitting a 2-handed forehand. She was never going to change her game, she just knows she'll need the one-handed more often (but now that she's quicker, maybe not;) ).

I'm curious to know how fast her serves were etc...

Veritas
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM
News about Monica's mostly conflicting. I'll only believe the "comback" rumour when she's actually on court.

IF it's true, there's a lot of work to do. For one, Monica shouldn't lose more than a few games (let alone a set) to the likes of Navratilova.

And getting some match practice would be a good idea to gauge where her level's at. I suggest doing some doubles because (1) Monica's too much a singles legend to lose in earlier rounds, and (2) she's never been involved much in doubles, so this would be a good chance to add more to her career.

Also, despite what most have said about her new figure, it doesn't look 'athletic'. It's slim and attractive, but it's not toned in a way that's needed for pro tennis athletes. She needs more muscle tone, especially if she's going to compete well in this power-tennis era.

On a more positive note, Monica's experience means she's got the court sense that most others don't have :)

OZTENNIS
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
wow - hard to believe she would ever consider coming back. i would hate to see her tarnish her legacy though.

I don't possibly see how coming back would tarnish her legacy :rolleyes:
I think it will only add to the Legend of Monica Seles :worship:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T ;)

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I don't look at it like that...I don't think River Oaks would appreciate Monica destroying Martina N...fans would feel as though they wasted their money...you always want a close match in an exhibition..Monica let Martina N have her set, and then we saw what Monica can do...10-1...that is really good...i mean that's a huge margin as was the 2cd set.

OZTENNIS
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
:haha: "For the love of the game." More like "love of the ego." If she is able to comeback and win, what does that say about the sorry state of women's tennis? She's welcome to try. After all, it's a game of opportunity.:worship:

WTF? Monica has done so much for the sport, and been through terrible times. Give her a break!

P.S. Monica could kick ur Virginia Ruano Pascual's arse any day :cool:

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I already confirmed that Monica was considering coming back to the tour depending how she played and felt after the match with Martina. some people here didn't believe it. but its nice to get another confirmation from Monica herself. as a fan i wish her the best! remember that last 5 tournament quote from Monica was only a guess on her part. if she feels her foot is holding up you can bet your bottom dollar Moni is going to stick around longer.
its good to hear she finally had some sort of surgery on her foot. lets hope it cured her foot problem! it probably isn't fully healed yet. but was feeling ok for an exo to test it out.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Oh and what is with the Seles critics? Seles has been away for a long long time. even if you never liked Monica you would have to admit having her back would bring alot of excitement back to the tour. especially with the US tennis media. and the fans.

Ghis
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Oh my God!! Oh my God!!! I'm so happy!! :bounce: :bounce:
I'm going to Roland Garros next month, and I'd give anything to see Monica play one more time.
Please, make this happen!!!!

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I have been thinking about that quote from Monica saying she thinks she has 5 good tournaments left.
she didn't say just 5 tournaments. she added good to that quote. now saying 5 good tournaments strongly indicates Monica thinks she can win 5 more. and if she fails may very well mean Monica
will just try again if her foot holds up. christ i hope that foot is ok!

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Ghis Monica is probably talking about coming back next year. i would be stunned to see her playing this year after this exo to test her foot. its good to know she has unlimited wildcards. Mon can get into any tournament she wants with no ranking.

faboozadoo15
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
:woohoo: GO MON!!!!

If she came back I'd be over the moon. I guess I still haven't given up that last bit of hope.

Jakub
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
:woohoo: :eek:

just woke up and that news already made my day

all the best Monica :) :kiss:

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:22 AM
wow im so happy for monica! thanks 4 the article

Lulu.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
It would be great to have her back :D

Alla Luce
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
It would be great if Monica went out with a bang. 4 years is too long though. Way too long. She'd need a whole year to get match fit again. If she can commit herself for two more years then that's great. Unfortunately her style of play is too physically demanding for her to have the sort of longevity that Navratilova has had. I'd love to see her on court though, even if it's in doubles.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
It does very well look like Monica took it easy
on Martina in the 1st set for her and the fans. and then ran away with the match when you look at Monica's winning percentage in the 2nd set and the tiebreak. i mean 6-2 and 10-1 is a big difference
from the 1st set.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Alla people were saying the same remarks when Monica was out for 2 1/2 years. Monica always
has a good comeback when coming back from a injury. she looks to be in the best shape of her life at 33 years old. i won't be surprised if she has another great comeback. Monica is such a fighter. their was a big reason why we never heard Monica announce her retirement. now we all know why.

RVD
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
So glad Monica won! :bounce:
And I hope hope hope she does come back, and not just for 5, but for at least 50 more games. I've always enjoyed her grit and her game. :cool:

Ludovic
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Good News:bounce: , Congratulation Monica and good luck for the next.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Remember Monica said 5 -good- tournaments left. that indicates she meant she thinks she can win 5 more. and if her foot holds up their's no reason to think she won't try again if she fails. good luck Moni!

coudy.guo
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
:bounce: OMG OMG!:worship: :worship:
MONICA come back!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

You are the best ! come on dear Monica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce:

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
It would be great if Monica went out with a bang. 4 years is too long though. Way too long. She'd need a whole year to get match fit again. If she can commit herself for two more years then that's great. Unfortunately her style of play is too physically demanding for her to have the sort of longevity that Navratilova has had. I'd love to see her on court though, even if it's in doubles.

If Hingis can come back after a four year absence from the tour make the quarters of the first slam she plays and win a Tier 1 title, what makes you think Monica can´t?

Champions don´t forget how to win.

Libertango
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
She looks so ... thin.

COME BACK MONICA!!! ( ... if you can) :hearts:

tennisvulture
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
this is a huge day for me. Cant wait for the moment i get to see you on court, Champion!!! But, at least, i know that i will get to see you. (damn, i am sooooooo happy)

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Wow Monica's comeback news is all over countless tennis boards. and chat rooms. the crowd support for Monica will be so huge after being away for so long. Monica got such poor tv coverage in her last years before being forced to quit. i remember that espn refused to show any of Monica's early rd matches in alot of tournaments. she had to make the semis or better just to get on tv! it was so pathetic the way Monica got treated. it was unfair to Monica and her fans who wanted to see her last maybe ever matches on tv. now the complete opposite should be the case. the tv networks know Monica's comeback will be huge for tv ratings. and will be dying to get her matches on tv. especially since Monica is now in great shape. im afraid this was one of the reasons Mon got treated so badly when she wasn't in the best shape. i can't wait to see Moni play again!

Hashim.
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM
really hope she comes back quickly..

galadriel
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Monica :eek: :bounce:

The Dawntreader
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It'd be so great!:D :bounce:

volta
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
omg Monica :hearts: :hearts:

Poova
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
omfg! :eek: Please come back Monica! :hearts: I'm really excited now :lol:

Alicia Rocks
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Monica :D :D :D

John.
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Monica :D

FOREVAMONICA
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
God has allowed monica her dream of returning. Without God, this would not be possible. All praise to GOD. :worship: :worship:

.Andrew.
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Well done, Monica! :yeah:

Happy to see that she is working to come back on tour! :bounce: :dance:

Zl@tko
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Monica :hearts: Happy she won that. The news made my day :) Go Monica!

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
God has allowed monica her dream of returning. Without God, this would not be possible. All praise to GOD. :worship: :worship:
Uh, leave God out of this. Its only tennis.

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM
:D Go check Ronny & James`s :www.monicaselessite.com, they meet monica and they gave her the sweetest doll!!!!:worship: theres images too!:drool:

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM

God??? Whos that???:p

Craigy
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Probably a troll anyway.

tennislover
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Martina :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Belco
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
:woohoo: Go Monica!!!

5 Tournaments my butt! she gonna be playing for a few years :D

FOREVAMONICA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Oh for goodness sake, I'm not trolling, I'm merely expressing my faith in the power of god. Wthout Him, we wouldn't be. I know it's just tennis, but I believe that God assisted in giving Monica this opportunuty, after all she's been through, she want nothing more than to be able to play tennis again, and it looks like she might be doing that soon.

:)

kabuki
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Fantastic news. I don't care if she only plays 5 matches, much less tournaments. That would be more than most of us have ever dreamed of. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Craigy
Oh for goodness sake, I'm not trolling, I'm merely expressing my faith in the power of god. Wthout Him, we wouldn't be. I know it's just tennis, but I believe that God assisted in giving Monica this opportunuty, after all she's been through, she want nothing more than to be able to play tennis again, and it looks like she might be doing that soon.

Oh fuck off.

kabuki

zealotry = trolling. :D

FOREVAMONICA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Oh fuck off.

That's not a very nice thing to say.

FOREVAMONICA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM
zealotry = trolling. :D

How?

williams123
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?, THE STATE OF THE GAME SUCKS. MONICA IS ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME..., CERTAINLY BETTER THAN THE BELGIAN SISTERS, AND ALL THE RUSSIANS. DONT YOU DARE TRY TO TALK ABOUT MONICA IN A BAD WAY. MONICA IS ONE OF THE BEST.

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
God sure hasn't done me any favors. religion is a killer

selesbooz
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I am tired to all the $hit that you are writing about Monica.. I fyou have a problem with her trying to come back you need to deal with and crawl her @ss. Bitch:fiery:

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
If God is allowing Monica to come back, doesn't that also mean he allowed her to be stabbed by Parche and allowed her foot bone to partially desintigrate? :rolleyes: Oh, maybe he was on holiday for all the bad things.

LoveFifteen
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Monica was only able to beat a granny in a tiebreak!!! Guys, give up on her.

Paneru
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Wow!!! :eek: :hearts: :kiss:

How exciting it would be to see
Monica back and healthy to give
it a couple more tries!

It's gonna be like with Agassi in that
everyone of her matches will be a tv
event, especially if she does give the
Slams one last go!

This is so exciting! :bounce:

swissmisshingis
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Please comeback Monica 5 tournaments is more than I can ask for :kiss:

Drake1980
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
:eek::bounce:

vettipooh
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Wow!! That would be really great for the tour, if Monica returned!!! :bounce: Dang, I really miss her!! C'mon Monica! Even if it's just one tourny, I'll be happy!! :hearts: :banana:

Realtennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Shut up and get ready for school, kid..........the bus will be here in a minute!

The Daviator
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Wow :eek: But why no Wimbledon :sad:

Shame she picked up that injury, she could have been on the tour all these years :(

Now if only Linds would come back after the baby :sad:

Bероника
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
:eek: :bounce: oh wow,I was not expecting it but sure these are good news.I can't help being very excited about it.Please,let it be true,come back Monica!!!!

Andy T
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Great article with such happy news - on a day associated with future resurrections, no less.

Here's hoping that - just for once - destiny smiles on Monica so that she can fulfil her dream of playing a few more tournaments on the circuit.

...and if any b*st*rd on this site whinges about wildcards being given to old champions as they did when Navratilova got some a few years back, they should be banned forever from the board.

Callystarr
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I think I would faint if Monica came back, she was the reason I started watching tennis!

Callystarr
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
If God is allowing Monica to come back, doesn't that also mean he allowed her to be stabbed by Parche and allowed her foot bone to partially desintigrate? :rolleyes: Oh, maybe he was on holiday for all the bad things.

Mess....

*smh*

Its called life....god will never put anything on you that you can't handle. I guess life is suppose to be perfect eh? :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I still dont believe this. There's just no way. It would be way too good to be true. Like some others have said... I'll only believe it when she confirms it for sure and I see her name in a WTA draw. For me, this still doesnt mean much. If she does decide to come back, I question how much much success she'll have... but I wouldnt really care. Just to see her play again would be the most amazing thing ever.

--------

BTW, the actual score was 7-6(1) 2-6 10-1 for Monica. Ronny and James (http://www.monicaselessite.com) were at the match and spoke to Monica and took photos with her. They said they'll have more details up a bit later. :cool:

©@®eLess
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Never! She can play with one leg, with that knife in her back...and she would still be better then most of the tour!

sonnys
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Never! She can play with one leg, with that knife in her back...and she would still be better then most of the tour!

:worship: :worship: :worship:

andrewbroad
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Is the reference to Monica's "reconstructed foot" the only reason to believe she's had surgery? Because I took it to mean that she had left the foot to heal on its own.

Why did God allow those bad things to happen to Monica? Well, in the beginning, we would have been perfect and immortal, but God also gave us free will. Adam and Eve introduced sin and death into the world by doing the one thing God had told them not to do. That's the price to pay for having wisdom and free will. Life, like all interesting stories, is a constant struggle between good and evil.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/)

Knizzle
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't doubt her. she could win a Tier 3 now with a good draw.

JSeles
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
This is the best tennis news in 3 years!!! I can't wait to see her back on the WTA Tour. And I'll do whatever it takes to attend one of her comeback tournaments! WOW! Fantastic news.

tennisbuddy12
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
If she should do 5 it should be the 4 slams and Montreal/Toronto because thats where she came back in 1995.

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Wonderful :)

Monica_Rules
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
As much as i would like to see Monica make a come back, i'd rather she didn't now.

If she feels she can come back then great, would eb amazing to see her again!

Steffica Greles
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well, even if she returned for just one tournament and we saw that legendary intensity and jaw-fixed resolve to win on only her terms, no matter what, then I'd be happy: Monica deserves a good send off. She was an incredible champion who did so much for the women's game.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM

More like for the Love of her Fans. :bounce:

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
recap of the match by Ronny & James...nice photos too
http://www.monicaselessite.com/home.html

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ronny & James!!! so Monica actually won the 1st set 7-6 and Martina won the 2nd 6-2. glad Monica won the tiebreaker 10-1

In The Zone
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Seles! I would love this!
Monica, please play! :] The US Open later this year would be a great return. And you can play until the French! Come on Monica :]

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Is the reference to Monica's "reconstructed foot" the only reason to believe she's had surgery? Because I took it to mean that she had left the foot to heal on its own.

Why did God allow those bad things to happen to Monica? Well, in the beginning, we would have been perfect and immortal, but God also gave us free will. Adam and Eve introduced sin and death into the world by doing the one thing God had told them not to do. That's the price to pay for having wisdom and free will. Life, like all interesting stories, is a constant struggle between good and evil.
ALL HAIL SAINT MONICA, THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST! :worship:

MAY YOU FOREVER KEEP SUFFERING FOR ALL OUR SINS!

And of course, rake in the sponsorship monies.

Scotso
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM
i would hate to see her tarnish her legacy though.

Even if she played 5 tournaments and lost badly in each of them in the first round, it's not going to tarnish her legacy. No one can take those accomplishments from her.

I'd like to see her and Mary slugging it out in the finals of the French Open 2008 :D

piercerocks
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Even if she played 5 tournaments and lost badly in each of them in the first round, it's not going to tarnish her legacy. No one can take those accomplishments from her.

I'd like to see her and Mary slugging it out in the finals of the French Open 2008 :D

that would be amazing.

mm1147
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:35 AM
wow this is just so exciting :bounce: :hearts: :worship: pls monica comeback

ewbangkok
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:40 AM
MonicA

rada
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I really hope she will come back and i really don't see why not :)
come on monica ;)

sonnys
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM

:smash: :armed:

hingis-seles
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I'm holding my excitement in till I see her on court. But this is great news and I'm happy. :)

hwanmig
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I had the same thought though I doubt its ever going to happen

serena_fan
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:47 PM
:nerner: :ras: :haha: :haha: :haha:

cody24881
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Monica still believes in herself and that is all that matters. Monica's game has alsways been about belief. If she is confident in her game then their is no doubt she will do well.

thomas.chung
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Mind you that it is an exhibition, not a competitive match. There are few reasons why you would want to have the match as long as possible, especially for monica, in an exhibition:
1.) People pay to see good tennis, and the players will usually relax a bit and just give people a "good, long" tennis match for all of their money's worth. Look at all of the exhibitions in the past, they were almost all 3 set tie-breakers.
2.) For Monica, the extended time on the court playing match will give her match practice, regardless of who the opponent is. Whether it's Mary Pierce, Martina Hingis or Steffi Graf, it doesn't matter.
3.) The extended time also allows her to gauge how her foot reacts to all the stress of a match. But without the stress of winning the match. So she can tank it if she wants. Martina Hingis used a similar ploy before her real comeback by playing in WTT and exhibition with Anna Kournikova in Brazil.

Speaking of Martina Hingis, does anyone notice that Martina and Monica play the same opponent (Martina Navratilova) to judge their comeback? There is a reason, and I think it is that Martina is still good enough, regardless of her age. And the fact that she has been playing professionally not long ago will help them get a sense of how the tour plays currently. So I think if Monica thinks she do well, there is a very high chance that she will announce her comeback.

P.S. Stop calling comeback champions tarnishing their name. It is absurd and nonsense. There is nothing they can do to tarnish their names because their names were already established. I am pretty sure if Steffi come back today but not do too good she will still be one of the game's greatest with all her previous wins and etc.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM
God has allowed monica her dream of returning.
Why doesn't He allow Jennifer her dream of returning too? :( Why doesn't He love poor Cappy just as much as Monica? :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2:

crazillo
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I think she just would like to feel again what comnpetition means. Success is pretty unrealistic to me, esp. if she says she has probably 5 tournaments left...

rfs1999
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
When will she start playing tournaments?

sonnys
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
When will she start playing tournaments?

Hopefully very soon, clay would be a good start;)