PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams and/or Justine Henin in the US Open finals; Previous years say so!

-VSR-
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:49 AM
From 1991-2006 (besides 1998 & 2003) at least one of the Miami finalists have been in the US Open final. 14 out of 16 years this has happened and if you are going by the odds then Serena and/or Justine will be in this years US Open final. I'm thinking that one of them will be in the final if they both keep up the amazing form they have showed. Anyway, here at the list of Miami and US Open finals over the years to show the spooky coincidence.

Another note; in the 2003 US Open Serena Williams missed the event due to knee surgery.

Only 7 out of the 14 times have the same player won both Miami and the US Open. There has only been one time that the same player lost both the Miami and US Open finals, that player was Lindsay Davenport in 2000. But NEVER has BOTH of the Miami finalists been in the US Open final together in the same year.

1991 Final:
Miami: Monica Seles def. Gabriela Sabatini
US Open: Monica Seles def. Martina Navratilova

1992 Final:
Miami: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario def. Gabriela Sabatini
US Open: Monica Seles def. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario

1993 Final:
Miami: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario def. Steffi Graf
US Open: Steffi Graf def. Helena Sukova

1994 Final:
Miami: Steffi Graf def. Natasha Zvereva
US Open: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario def. Steffi Graf

1995 Final:
Miami: Steffi Graf def. Kimko Date
US Open: Steffi Graf def. Monica Seles

1996 Final:
Miami: Steffi Graf def. Chanda Rubin
US Open: Steffi Graf def. Monica Seles

1997 Final:
Miami: Martina Hingis def. Monica Seles
US Open: Martina Hingis def. Venus Williams

1998 Final:
Miami: Venus Williams def. Anna Kournikova
US Open: Lindsay Davenport def. Martina Hingis

1999 Final:
Miami: Venus Williams def. Serena Williams
US Open: Serena Williams def. Martina Hingis

2000 Final:
Miami: Martina Hingis def. Lindsay Davenport
US Open: Venus Williams def. Lindsay Davenport

2001 Final:
Miami: Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriati
US Open: Venus Williams def. Serena Williams

2002 Final:
Miami: Serena Williams def. Jennifer Capriati
US Open: Serena Williams def. Venus Williams

2003 Final:
Miami: Serena Williams def. Jennifer Capriati
US Open: Justine Henin-Hardenne def. Kim Clijsters

2004 Final:
Miami: Serena Williams def. Elena Dementieva
US Open: Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Elena Dementieva

2005 Final:
Miami: Kim Clijsters def. Maria Sharapova
US Open: Kim Clijsters def. Mary Pierce

2006 Final:
Miami: Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Maria Sharapova
US Open: Maria Sharapova def. Justine Henin-Hardenne

2007 Final:
Miami: Serena Williams def. Justine Henin
US Open: ? def. ?

Knizzle
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Interesting. Good luck in the US OPEN final Serena!!! ;)

azmad_88
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:16 AM
:)

Mightymirza
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:12 AM
allez juju :rocker2:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Very interesting, let's go Rena :bounce:

AcesHigh
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Eh...possibly, but with Justine's record at USO, i don't see her making the final if she has to face a top hardcourt player like an in-form Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Dementieva, etc. But we'll see how it goes :) both are definitely talented enough to win it.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
and the years that the Miami finalists didn't make the USO final, they got to the semis (Vee in 1998 and Jen in 2003) so :bounce: at least one of them will get to the semis, and considering Serena's NEVER lost before the 2nd week @ the USO (barring 1998 where she lost 7-5 in the 3rd to Spirela after bageling her in the 2nd....what a fucking CHOKE job she used to be :o :lol: ) I think she's a lock to win it, if she stays healthy :yeah:

bandabou
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Would be cool..has been too long since Serena last was in the final at the Open.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I KNOW :awww:

PatrickRyan
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Way too long

I want her to win the Usopen more than anything else this year :drool:
But RG and Wimby would be nice add-ons as well ;)

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
It would be even better if Serena won Wimbledon this year I think beating Sharpie in the final :p

Uranus
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
It wouldn't be surprising at all :shrug:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
:lol:

-VSR-
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
and the years that the Miami finalists didn't make the USO final, they got to the semis (Vee in 1998 and Jen in 2003) so :bounce: at least one of them will get to the semis, and considering Serena's NEVER lost before the 2nd week @ the USO (barring 1998 where she lost 7-5 in the 3rd to Spirela after bageling her in the 2nd....what a fucking CHOKE job she used to be :o :lol: ) I think she's a lock to win it, if she stays healthy :yeah:

Very good point. :yeah:

I thought it was very interesting. :D

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
From 1991-2006 (besides 1998 & 2003) at least one of the Miami finalists have been in the US Open final. 14 out of 16 years this has happened and if you are going by the odds then Serena and/or Justine will be in this years US Open final.
Past events like the ones you mention do not have an influence on the likelihood of a future event happening or not.
Serena and/or Justine ending up in the US Open final would be no surprise though, since they are currently the best players.
Also, since these two tournaments are the biggest hardcourt events on the tour, one would actually expect that those players preferring hardcourts do well in both.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Also (which doesn't apply this year) but EVERY player who has appeared in both Indian Wells and Miami Finals, regardless of the outcome, wins the USO

1999: IW - Serena d. Graf Miami - Venus d. Serena USO - Serena d. Hingis
2005: IW - Kim d. Davenport Miami - Kim d. Sharapova USO - Kim d. Pierce
2006: IW - Sharapova d. Dementieva Miami - Kuznetsova d. Maria USO - Maria d. Henin

In The Zone
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I want her to win the Usopen more than anything else this year :drool:
But RG and Wimby would be nice add-ons as well ;)

To be honest, I think we all miss Serena winning each slam. The French is the most desired, of course, she only has one and dethroning Justine would e be perfection. I want her to win the US since she is American and everything. The Calendar slam would be perfection. ;]

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
definitely one of them will be there in the final