PDA

View Full Version : Can Hingis win another Slam?

tennisIlove09
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Her best chance will be at Roland Garros.

Consider: Sharapova may be out (clay is not her best anyways); Clijsters will not be there (Kim has beaten her in 3 of the majors since her comeback); it would be her best chance to take out a Williams Sister (still huge edge to either Venus or Serena); Mauresmo will be coming back from surgery (rusty perhaps?); Kuznetsova & Petrova are inconsistent.

This will be real chance. She'll have to play one heck of match against Venus, Serena, Henin to really maybe win.

Geisha
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I still think Hingis has amazing tennis in her, but she needs to play really great if she wants to beat Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, Henin, Venus or Serena, even on the clay. But, she can definitely do it.

John.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Can she? - Yes

Will she? - No

The match against Clijsters in Oz was a wasted opportunity IMO. Not saying she would have won the tournament, but I think she could have given Sharapova and possibly Serena a good test

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM
She'll have to stop losing to the likes of razzano and radwanska (sp?) first. She's not even getting there to meet the big names lately.

Serena!
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:57 AM
i dont think she will

Simplicity.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I hope she does :)

Volcana
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
No. Not if she has to play anybody with 2 or more GS wins.

égalité
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Her combined head-to-head against the Williams sisters is dead even, so if she plays like she should be playing, she can compete with the best in the game. And, of course, her bast chance is on clay. She just NEEDS to stop being so passive. It's not like she's unaware of what she's doing wrong; she's just too afraid to implement the strategy she needs to win.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM
head to heads go out the door as always....unless its Venus and Patty...anyone can win a GS....does everyone win a GS....no....can Hingis win a GS title....yes...will she win....no:devil:

Stamp Paid
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM
What about Justine? I doubt she'll be beating the Queen of Clay on any surface, much less CLAY.

MH0861
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Umm, she needs to get passed the 40+ ranked crowd at RG and her next few events before even thinking about beating Top 10 players. :o :lol:

trufanjay
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hingis is still vulnerable to some lower ranked players who run fast and who hit the ball hard. And let's not forget about Jankovic, Vaidiosva and Peer. If Justine and Serena decide to leave the door open this year (which they probably won't) Hingis will not be the first in line to take the opportunity. You have to put Venus up there and the three I just mentioned. And maybe even a few others before you even mention Hingis. That's why I can't see her winning another major.

Hingis should have came back in 2004 when Myskina, Sharapova and Kuznetsova took the biggest opportunity of their careers. Justine had gone away after her AO win, Serena was getting injured every month, Venus was a hot mess, Capriati wasn't doing too well and a few others were absent in action. Not to take away from Myskina, Maria and Kuzy's wins but that was the perfect year for them to go for it. Hingis would have probably done well that year. But now Serena has settled in, Justine isn't going anywhere, Venus is on her way back, Peer, Jankovic, and Vaidisova are maturing and improving by the month, and it looks like the tour is about to get a lot better overall. Sorry, but Hingis had her chance. The same circumstances that drove her away are slowly coming back to kick her in the behind.

tennisbuddy12
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
i was just watching the highlights of the 99 final on youtube and they said shell win it sometime...steffi said that too

DavidEllul
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Actually I don't see her winning any majors any more.

But she still has chances in Tier I :)

tennisIlove09
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
What about Justine? I doubt she'll be beating the Queen of Clay on any surface, much less CLAY.

Re-read. I mentioned Henin in my post.

DavidEllul
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Martina played quite well last year in YEC, which once gave ppl a lot of confidence about her 2007 but up to now she hasn't been really impressive this year

trufanjay
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Let's look at her chances in each slam.........

Australian Open: Fair (The playing field is more even, she has done well in the past, probably her favorite slam, best surface for her.)
French Open: Poor (Seems like her best chance but Justine is there and that messes everything up.)
Wimbledon: Poor (Venus, Serena, Justine, Mauresmo etc. too many top guns do well here.)
US Open: Poor (Quick surface, she is vulnerable to big hitting lower ranked players.)

Overall Chances: Poor

tennisIlove09
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Let's look at her chances in each slam.........

Australian Open: Fair (The playing field is more even, she has done well in the past, probably her favorite slam, best surface for her.)
French Open: Poor (Seems like her best chance but Justine is there and that messes everything up.)
Wimbledon: Poor (Venus, Serena, Justine, Mauresmo etc. too many top guns do well here.)
US Open: Poor (Quick surface, she is vulnerable to big hitting lower ranked players.)

Overall Chances: Poor

I dunno, I would rate Paris over the Australian. Especially this year.

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yes

#1Davenport
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:41 AM
If she makes it past a quarterfinal in a major, who knows what could happen. She'll have to have some luck. i.e. an easy draw, withdrawels, injured opponents.

DemWilliamsGulls
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I think she can depend on how well the other players play...if she's top notch and playing 100% of her game and everyone else just happens to play 70% of theirs...she MAY can get them...she'd have to really be on them...anything can happen any day...I hope she gets her 1 more.

trufanjay
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I dunno, I would rate Paris over the Australian. Especially this year.
Well look at Australia this year. No one played outstanding tennis except for Serena in the later stages. The AO field was wide open. No one expected Serena to win until the last minute. This year's French will be more competitive than the Australian Open was. Justine will be amazing of course and only a fool would count Serena out. Petrova, Kuznetsova, Peer all can play well on clay.
If Hingis had gotten past Kim she would have faced an off Maria. And let's say she didn't have to play a stunning Serena in the final. Hingis becomes the favorite for another Melbourne title.
Hingis will probably make the quarterfinals at the French Open but this past January she had her best look. The sad part is, that best look wasn't even that great.

PatrickRyan
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Her combined head-to-head against the Williams sisters is dead even, so if she plays like she should be playing, she can compete with the best in the game. And, of course, her bast chance is on clay. She just NEEDS to stop being so passive. It's not like she's unaware of what she's doing wrong; she's just too afraid to implement the strategy she needs to win.

yeah the fact she hasn't played Serena in 5 years.

mm1147
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:50 AM
i know she still capable of winning grandslams :)

Steffica Greles
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM
It's not just about ability. If it was, Hingis would be in with a shot, not a great shot, but at least some kind of a chance.

But Hingis does not have the stamina, and it's nothing to do with how hard she works off the court. Think of Australia 2001, or 2002, when she was in far better shape than today. In both cases, she ran out of steam.

Hingis may have more ability than other slam winners such as Myskina, but she doesn't have their legs, their endurance, their athleticism.

That is the simple reason why Hingis is extremely unlikely to ever benefit from a weak draw. But no doubt these discussions will go on.

austennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
i think its her best chance this year.. if she plays like she did last year on clay with no kim, possibly maria and a mauresmo whos low on match play and at home i can see her making QF and Semis easy and then she has the game and the brain to beat peer, vaidosova.. i think teenage clay threats this year will be Ana and Tati

ico4498
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM
It's not just about ability. If it was, Hingis would be in with a shot, not a great shot, but at least some kind of a chance.

But Hingis does not have the stamina, and it's nothing to do with how hard she works off the court. Think of Australia 2001, or 2002, when she was in far better shape than today. In both cases, she ran out of steam.

Hingis may have more ability than other slam winners such as Myskina, but she doesn't have their legs, their endurance, their athleticism.

That is the simple reason why Hingis is extremely unlikely to ever benefit from a weak draw. But no doubt these discussions will go on.

gobbly guk.

fitness, or stamina, is part and parcel of ability.

serenafann
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I honestly doubt it,but you never know.

pengluv
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:59 AM
she will need to pull a muresmo and get 5 retirements durin the grandslam... and then mayb jus mayb she can win

lecciones
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:03 AM

17-17 dead even, but serena and martina haven't played a long time and venus and martina got one each last year. She shouldn't be afraid to play as aggressive when she was young, she becomes too complacent because she thinks she isn't the same "old" young Hingis when its all just inside her, she thinks she can't play with the power players when she's been playing with them and winning against them before. She just has to get her game plan and actually be aggressive with it. I think all this media hype has gone to her head. She has all the weapons to disrupt a power players game but she doesn't use it that much anymore and instead insists on using their own power playing game which although she can last for some time saps her energy and if she doesn't win it in 2 sets her chances drop to almost nil.

But I never doubt Martina she can still produce brilliant tennis. I hope she does win one more title and that it would be the french.

treufreund
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I love me some Marti but Marti herself does not seem to believe in herself so I tend to fall in the naysayer camp. Nevertheless, I still won't rule it out 100% by any means.

Couver
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Anything is possible. She's won 5 before so she knows what it takes.

But I've always been of the mind that if she were to score a sixth major it would be the Australian. Her record there is stellar and she had chances in both her matches against Kim there to reach the semis. Sure she does well on clay but RG gets in her head, and despite getting close there's always this bad let down.

CORIA01
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
She Really Has A Shot For Rg But Is Gonna Be Tough!
Martina Is One Of The Best On Clay And I Am Sure She Can Go Far!

bandabou
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Hmmm...needs more stamina. once it goes to a 3rd set Martina's cooked.
Can't expect to win everything in straights..so u need to be ready for the fight. not sure martina's willing to do that.

Veritas
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Of course Hingis CAN win a Slam. But whether she WILL is another issue.

I think Martina's trying new stuff - testing out different strategies to work out which one works best for her. She's been passive, but not at every match. Also, she's been hitting flatter, which was something she didn't do as often before.

What looks like something Martina SHOULD do is to get Melanie back as a full-time coach. Martina's been on the tour long enough to know a lot about the game, but it helps having someone else who knows your game well observing it. It's a bit like writing an essay - no matter how many times you read through it, when someone else does the editing, they pick out something you might've missed.

Just give Martina some time. I don't doubt her work ethic; otherwise she would've quit by now :)

hwanmig
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Is she going to have a fairytale run and win RG?? Unlikely, that whore Henin will probably win the tournament without losing a set.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
i think she can win another one at most in the future.she's gonna win it easily,without facing sharapova,williams sister,henin,or mauresmo.:p

jazar
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM
of course she can win another slam.

in doubles.

ViennaCalling
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Maybe in doubles.

In Singles - never!

stefi62
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I don't think so. ;)

Mattographer
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
No.

Josh.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
it would be a testiment to martina's greatness if she does but i just dont think she has it in her.

Demska
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Nope, she'll get the the QF's or below every time she tries.

lakeway11
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
yes she will, or my name isn't lakeway11

lecciones
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Of course Hingis CAN win a Slam. But whether she WILL is another issue.

I think Martina's trying new stuff - testing out different strategies to work out which one works best for her. She's been passive, but not at every match. Also, she's been hitting flatter, which was something she didn't do as often before.

What looks like something Martina SHOULD do is to get Melanie back as a full-time coach. Martina's been on the tour long enough to know a lot about the game, but it helps having someone else who knows your game well observing it. It's a bit like writing an essay - no matter how many times you read through it, when someone else does the editing, they pick out something you might've missed.

Just give Martina some time. I don't doubt her work ethic; otherwise she would've quit by now :)

I like this post, something I would not have thought of, thanks for your input! :)

The_roof
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Probably no, but you never know...
Let's go Serena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GracefulVenus
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Of Course Martina could win another slam. She is a CHAMPION. Something that never leaves a players heart. All she has to do is figure out a way to win, much like Serena did in Miami.